University of Houston Employee Reviews

Found 1,102 reviews matching the search See all 1,104 reviews
Great Place to Work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2018
Great Place to Work and Study. I love the campus, it's so beautiful. the staff is great and very helpful. The food they serve is delicious and fresh. The restrooms are always clean! everything is clean! Classes are small and I love it!
Do not apply
Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 14, 2018
You would think that a university would praise you getting a graduate degree. They do not. You will never advance and you will never grow in this company.

U of H puts on your job description "and other duties assigned" to get away with paying you less for the amount of work they give you. They assign you more duties than your job title entails and they do not compensate you for the extra amounts of work that you have to do.

This is just the TIP of the iceberg.

Do not work here. There is a high turnover and everyone is unhappy.
Easy going and a learning experience
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, TXJune 13, 2018
It was just a temporary work while pursuing masters degree. When you work with your professor and help him to grade his students and assist him in his research, you get an opportunity to learn a lot. The hardest part of the job was that it was a temporary job till graduation and the most enjoyable part was to work with a professor who is always happy to help and you can learn as much as you want.
Writing Center is the best Part-Time job I had
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 12, 2018
The Writing Center is one of the best and exciting places I have ever worked. Great staff, great clients, good work atmosphere, Management was awesome. This center was created and started by Chloe Diepenbrock some 25 years ago. Funded by a small student service fee, the UHCLC Writing Center helped prosper many thousands of students, teaching them how to become better writers. The WC performed that task very well helping many, many student learn how to write academically.
Pros
Awesome work environment, awesome part time pay
Great school system if you plan of continuing your education after your bachelors
Statistics Tutor, Social Sciences Department (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 11, 2018
working for the UH-system as a work-study student geared me with professionalism and put me in contact with other faculty members, it was an adequate environment for growth.
Pros
free food, networking
Beneficial
INSTRUCTIONAL ASSISTANT, COURSES (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 10, 2018
I work as an instructional assistant at the Bauer school of business at the university of Houston. My professor is very chill and I love my job. I learned a lot of useful topics such as blending,aggregate,transportation models and simulation using excel.
Students were fun to be around
SECURITY OFFICER (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 8, 2018
The work atmosphere was a great place. I worked for 3 years at UHPD the only stressful thing about working there was the management. To much blaming and no one doing anything to correct problems that arise. Biased treatment everywhere in that department. Work sites were very stimulating and interesting. I would still be working there if there was a different style of management.
Pros
Overtime was great and always needed
Cons
Management blame game
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Clear Lake, TXJune 6, 2018
Good culture, Good environment, learned a lot as Graduate teaching assistant. Had an experience of the lifetime. But the pay there is very minimum for the Teaching assistant.
Graduate Student
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2018
Overall very good experience. The typical work week hours are 40-80 depending on the project. There are many chances for collaborations within labs and even with outside institutions in Houston.
Pleasant working environment and family oriented
College Business Administrator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 6, 2018
Pleasant working environment with training opportunities. There was daily interaction with faculty, staff, and students which was enjoyable and allowed for team building experiences.
Pros
Learning environment and team work approach
Cons
On-site day care was expensive
I interned as an Academic Coach at UHCL's Success Center
Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 5, 2018
I enjoyed my internship, had fun working there, appreciated the flexible schedule and just wish that I had received some type of compensation! I enjoyed working for UHCL and it was a useful and pleasant experience. I just wish I had received more help in finding a paid job or that it would have lead to one there or elsewhere.
Fun to learn and work.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2018
We as the graduate teaching assistants get to manage students and provide feedback to the assignments submitted. The most enjoyable part is that the job gives more knowledge about the already know subject.
Part time employment
Classroom Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2018
I worked there part-time for the college of pharmacy for more than a year. I had a great time working there with an amazing team. The timing and work days were flexible.
Pros
Flexible timings
Cons
Pay
Good employer
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 3, 2018
worked as teaching assistant in the University of Houston. The professor is good to work for, and learn a lot from him. also the work itself is not hard.
Excelent work place and environment.
Professor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 1, 2018
To work at the U of H had been one of my best experiences in my life, It was the first time I teach in a different language and in a different country. I found that the diversity of culture and the wide range of personalities at the U of H is the clue to learn how to masters the skills of teaching, and obtain a more productive and richer goal as a Professor
Even it was for a short time, the experience will last forever.
Pros
Relaxed environment, professional and polite.
Cons
It was a part time job. I would like it be a full time .
Great place to work to help students.
Adjunct Professor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 23, 2018
Great job. Students very good and work hard. Hours are great they fit my schedule as a retired public school teacher.
Have worked long enough to ser a small department grow to a viable element of the college.
Pros
Hours
Cons
No summer work
Learn many things
MRI ROBOTICS INTERN (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 23, 2018
I am able to know more knowledge of super computer and Bioinformatics, However I feel that the stipend is a little bit low. Overall it is a good experience.
Good
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 22, 2018
Good work environment for part time student workers. Easy going co-workers and manager. Easy to balance work life and school life. Very flexible with hours especially during exam period.
Great place for Student work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 21, 2018
I worked here as a student through my school career. I enjoyed working here. The managers were very flexible with my school schedule. I would highly recommend this for any student wanting to work through school.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
pay
fun and productive
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 21, 2018
loved this job because i got to be a leader and share stories with incoming students. it was relaxing and fun and the students enjoyed being around us and getting to know us. the program was very good and they were fair to everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Houston. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss