University of Illinois at Chicago Employee Reviews

Very micromanaged
Medical Staff Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 23, 2019
Very busy work place. Hardly any down time.Follow by-laws & adhere to standards of JTC. Most challenging is making dead lines. Working over 60 files on a monthly bases.
Pros
Overtime if needed
Cons
micromanagment
Go to work and go home
Pediatrics Dental Clinic Clerk (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 21, 2019
The university has made it very clear that they only care about you as long as you are on the clock. Make use of the benefits and move on with your life. don't settle to be treated like less than, you are worth more!
Workplace culture is toxic
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 18, 2019
The hardest part about your daily work is dealing with politics and career bureaucrats (typically management and leadership), who typically have been promoted from within not because of their competency skills but because they know how to work the political machine. Furthermore, there are no HR representatives that support the employee; usually fear tactics are used to force the employees to comply and HR reps are the ones that implement them. There's also no confidentiality with HR reps - employees who complain about leadership, usually end up being ousted and retaliated against. This allows the toxic culture to perpetuate by creating fortified walls around the leadership and leaving employees vulnerable and fearful. This is a systemic failure, but there are occasional departments within the system that are great pillars of excellence.
Good company .
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2019
University of Illinois at Chicago is a great place to work at . The job helps you to interact with a lot of people. The management was very organized .
Great experience
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2019
This was compelling writing because the people are doing amazing work and are willing to work with the communications professionals who tell their stories.
Not what it seems
Technical department (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2019
It’s a job if you want to do a job and just do a job with no interest to improve but this is based on job departments so I can not vouch for others. My department does not care until it’s to late.
Pros
Off at Christmas for a week
Cons
The wrong people get rewarded for doing nothing
not the best place to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2019
The university follows no waste removal procedures. Chemicals, samples, etc. all go down the sink or in the trash. Made me very uncomfortable. I worked for professors, not the best group
Great place to work in EVL Lab
Research and Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 25, 2019
The lab works on state of the art mixed reality equipment. There are multiple projects going on where people are pushing the boundaries of interactive learning and collaborative workspaces.
Great Place
Senior Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 24, 2019
Great department and many opportunities for growth. Benefits are superior and hours were flexible. Definitely would recommend UIC for anyone interested in furthering a career in research.
UIC (Chartwells)
Supervisor, Chic-Fil (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2019
I worked at UIC but it was for a contactor Compass Group -
Chartwells. It is so true what they say "People quit jobs because of people." The individuals in leadership are very misleading and secretive. The company is very hands on when upper management is being avoided no other time. I spoke about my complaints multiple times and nothing was being done nor said.
Good University
MICROBIOLOGY LAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2019
Good institution. Many opportunities for employment especially for students. Was convenient since I was on campus and it made it easier to work and attend classes.
The University of Illinois at Chicago
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2019
Studying in UIC is full of challenges. But in the end you can feel the progress you just made. The hardest part of the job is that to get a PhD degree, sometimes there is no any known formula for that. It requires a dash of creativity and hardworking. The most enjoyable part or benefits of the job probably is that many professors can help you get through some intricate difficulties.
Tutoring at UIC
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 2, 2019
Relaxed except before the due date of any projects or home works of students. I helped students to understand core problem of the project and how to start (if student doesn't know) the project and solve piece by piece.
Robust Training and Career Development Opportunities
Assistant Director Retail Operations, (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisMarch 1, 2019
UIC offers many job training and development workshops. Job related conferences are an added bonus. Free tuition for Full time UIC employees is a plus. Currently in class as a Graduate Student in the Education and Public Policy Program. My plan is to continue through and complete my higher education journey by enrolling in the Education PhD program as well.

UIC has also begun the process of strengthening its architectural structuring with new P3 partnerships. It is innovating and exciting!
Regular academic working place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 28, 2019
Regular academic institution. The research projects were encouraged with new ideas and solutions. Flexible working locations. Great atmosphere for cutting edge researches.
great benefits, slow work
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2019
the university offers incredible benefits to their employees but the pay does reflect this and the work is very slow. management is challenging due to the rules of the university
Pros
tuition waver, retirement, PTO and sick time, health insurance
Management flawed albeit established programs required consistent executive directives.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 21, 2019
Urban Health Program was in a state of transition. A student influx per recruitment activities ensured Help assignment achieved timely productivity per short term goals and objectives. An extension of contractual Help hours or preferably the acquisition of a full time position therein would have secured benefits and time accrued towards ending a career as an employee of my University/College alma mater Should a new opportunity and said consideration be extended I would definitely consider re-employment opportunities within UIC..
Pros
Coordinating, engaging, student fulfillment, challenging, encouraging.
Cons
Redundacy, disorganized presentations, undone progress
I worked there a long time ago
Projects Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 19, 2019
I can't really give an accurate portrayal of what it is like to work there now, as it's been several years. I enjoyed it when I was there. If you like a more research based atmosphere this is the place for you.
n/a
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 12, 2019
I have enjoyed working at UIC and have learned a lot of valuable skills that I will take with me into any job I hold in the future. I am looking to utilize those skills and expand upon them in my next position.
It's an easy job, but management isn't the greatest
Fitness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 11, 2019
Management likes to micromanage but the tasks itself are easy. However you are not paid Chicago minimum wage, only ~$10/hour. You have to be certified in CPR via red cross

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Illinois at Chicago. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

University of Illinois at Chicago Reviews by Location