University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Employee Reviews

Great Benefits
Medical Record Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2018
U of I was an excellent place to work, the benefits were great, there was always ways to be promoted and make more money. After 30 years of service I am able to retire and start a new journey at another company
Pros
Promotions
Cons
Parking
Productive workplace, ability to learn new things and enhance skills
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (Current Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 29, 2018
I enjoy working for this company because they truly stand by their mission to give the best patient care. I have learned so much in the time I have come here and believe I have the knowledge and understanding to move forward in the field thanks to them.
Good workplace for both education and benefits, offered a lot of learning experience
Staff Nurse, RN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 14, 2018
It is a good workplace offering a lot of good benefits.I had a lot of experiences earned from this institution.it is an equal opportunity employer, offers educational opportunities as an employee sine it is a university.we are state regulated so it abides with codes and standards of care.
Pros
Good salary, we are unionized
Cons
Situated in a bad neighborhood
Very Friendly Staff
Extern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2018
Learned a lot on my project with school. Very independent and flexible hours. Recommend for any learning experience. Friendly and kind staff. Felt welcome and management was always helpful.
Pathology Lab Student
Student Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 10, 2018
Good environment, helpful. You learn a lot with customer services. The manager was helpful the only down fall was that there was not a lot of hours. but work environment LOVED IT
Stressful and Unorganized
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 14, 2018
Love my supervisor but the customers are rude disrespectful talk to you like your nobody but want you to respect them the Director is a joke not a clue to what she is doing lazy co workers and then want you to pick up the lack of work they don't want to complete.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Director, unorganized rude customers
Academic setting with much potential and opportunity for improvement
Director Patient Care Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 9, 2018
Academic setting with much potential and opportunity for improvement. Collaboration, partnership are concepts that are still to be adopted prior to implementation. There are resources in house, however, senior leadership must commit to them and change the culture to drive outcomes for patients and employees.
Benefits
great
Health Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2018
I have volunteered at this organization and I have completed an internship for my MSW program here. This organization is a great place for anyone looking for a fast paced environment.
Exciting and unpredictable evenings
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2017
It was fun, stressful, hard work, and rewarding working on the psychiatric unit. What was most exciting for me was the unpredictably of my unit. It would go from low acuity patients one day to extremely high acuity patients the following day.
Management is strict, but fair.
Pros
Job security, easy to be promoted
Cons
Cafeteria is expensive, some staff are lax due to unions
Heavy work load
Medical Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2017
It was productive working in the Medical Staff Office. It was very intense and no down time. Many deadline had to be met. Overall you stayed busy. We were under staff which called for a lot of over-time. The experience of learning credentialing for almost two years was rewarding.
Pros
We closed the office for the holidays
Cons
No breaks, work load heavy
Messy and unorganized
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 15, 2017
Working as a student worker i have come to realize that the issues in Hospitals are based on mis-management and poor judgements from people. It was difficult to work in the setting.
Great Service, flexible and good for a career in the long run
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2017
The environment is very friendly and professional. So many opportunities for growth. Customer Service is priority and employees are as well . Uic Hospital is a good place for opportunity
Fun place
PCT (Patient Care Technician) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2017
Love working with this company,but job became stressful for me,I had to take a personel leave of absence,and did not work long enough to keep it,overall everyone was plesant to work with and seem to like working here.
Pros
Teaching class
Cons
Learning
Histology tech, I've experienced worst places to work
Histology Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 22, 2017
Job security is better than most places. There is really no room for advancement in this position. The pay was much better than your average lab. Management definitely needs work.
Academic Institution
Billing Manager, Graduate Medical Education (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 28, 2016
Great place to spread your wings and learn from grass roots. You gain experience through collaboration and the communication. This is an effort you must have in order to be successful here at this institution.
Pros
State Institution
Cons
Antiquated Culture
Fulfilling work duties with good benefits but lack of career advancement
Purchasing Officer II (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2016
What I do love about coming to work is the opportunity I have to make a difference every day. Whether that is saving the University points on the bottom line or assisting patients to, from, and within the hospital. This is a responsibility I take on every day. What is discouraging is the lack of career development within departments.
Productive work place with productive co-workers
Healthcare Reimbursement Analyst (Current Employee) –  ILDecember 3, 2015
This job is by no means impressive much less important to the function of this hospital. It is paper-work-intensive and just the sort of job a recent graduate like myself would come to expect. Management is flexible, patient, and understanding of my mishaps (should they occur). My co-workers are equally pleasant.
Very well structured/managed hospital and pharmacy department
Supervisor/staff pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2015
Excellent opportunity for advancement, team work oriented place, no stress or pressure at all.
Very cooperative staff and middle management.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, well managed
Cons
all is very good
Graduate School Internship
Health Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2015
I was an intern under their VP of patient safety and quality, while I was working on my master's degree in health administration at UIC. She assigned multiple projects to me in my time there. The biggest one I did was create a way to track and monitor narcotic medication discrepancies in the OR. This was done by utilizing Microsoft Excel, Access, and RedCaps. This was done for an assignment but the program worked so well the hospital actually chose to use it for the anesthesia department.
A great hospital
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 19, 2015
UI Health has a well-rounded and effective dietetics department. I very much enjoyed working with the staff and learning about specialized areas of dietetics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Reviews by Location