University of Illinois Employee Reviews

good job
BSW (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILFebruary 18, 2019
good place to work but its not as open-minded as you'd think very racist.the hardest part was dealing with racist people and upper management doing nothing about it. I loved working with the students and thought we were there to help them, but then management didn't want us speaking to them.
Great benefits/poor salary
RESEARCH GREENHOUSE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILFebruary 15, 2019
Great people and place to work. Also great benefits as far as vacation and sick leave are concerned. Payscale is less desirable. I have a Masters Degree and custodians can make more than I did, and a Masters Degree was even recommended for my position. This is totally unfair due to the level of responsibility I had as an Academic Professional, but I imagine it is like this at any university.
Pros
Great people, facilities, and vacation time.
Cons
Salary did not fit responsibilities and high rate to pay for parking.
Coordinated a wide variety of Dining Services facilities and satellite units.
Manager, U of I Hospital, Food Service & Dietetics (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 14, 2019
Coordinated and supervised 11 separate units that served over 4000 students per meal. Responsibilities included: inventories, cash reports, union relation, grievance and labor hearings, tracking revenue and providing input on Annual Dining Services budget.
Overall a pleasant experience.
INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 30, 2019
I enjoyed working at the University of Illinois. The only downfall was that in my role we had very little opportunity for professional growth. However, my supervisors did encourage us to partake in professional development opportunities, and assisted with expenses.
Enjoyable
TEACHERS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILJanuary 16, 2019
Teaching has helped me to learn a lot for myself. I gained a lot of confidence while helping out students and it motivated me to learn the material better.
Great place to learn and increase overall knowledge in the laboratory workplace
STUDENT RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 10, 2019
UIC allows students to perform experiments in an environment that welcomes new and learning researchers. The school has a wide variety of lab equipment and people willing to help train.
Quality nursing staff.
Agency ED RN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 16, 2018
The day manager was an LPN and just recently received her nursing degree and was promoted to a day shift nurse manager. The staff was helpful and fun to work with.
Pros
Made sure to give you lunch break.
Cons
Management.
Great opportunity, wish it was closer to home
Urbana-Champaign Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILDecember 1, 2018
I got this postdoc which in and of itself is a sweet gig, but it was made even better by the community in my department. My colleagues were great, the students were smart and engaging. I just wish it was closer to my hometown and partner, if it were I would seek a permanent position here.
Good place
Lecturer, Assistant Director of Athletic Bands (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILNovember 28, 2018
Not a bad place to work overall. Very nice environment. The people were nice. Had to work lots of hours to get the work done. The red tape is extensive.
Ga
GA (Current Employee) –  Urbana, ILOctober 22, 2018
If you can get an assistantship they pay well! Challenging to get a GA position but once I got it tuition was covered and I received a monthly stipend that helped pay for my cost of living.
Solid
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 18, 2018
It was a great work environment and provided a necessary stepping stone in my career. As a full time student, I was able to get my feet wet while doing research in a field that interested me.
Enjoyed my time here
Systems Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 13, 2018
Has same types of issues as most employers. Sometimes you will find bad managers. Overall it was good place to work, but I was not involved in the politics, nr was I faculty, so that helps!
Enjoy working with the public.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 11, 2018
As a well established progressive and rapidly expanding organization in today's market, I am a self-motivated individual interested in a position that would lead me to a higher level of responsibilities. I am dependable, versatile, love multi-tasking, and love working with people.

As a Clerical Assistant for over 10 years, I have lots of experience and I am willing to expand my skills in a organization that is growing, this opportunity will help me grow with the company.
Pros
I enoy working with the public.
Cons
Irrate people
Collaborative and Creative Position
Health Professional Navigator Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2018
As a mentor for students interested in applying to professional school in the health field, I able to communicate and provide advice to several different types of people. Overall, I found this profession to encourage me to be creative when helping people improve their personal statement. Also, I collaborated with different mentors from different health professionals in order to give the students our personal advice.
Fast paced environment
Case Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2018
You must be able to learn quickly and able to move around. You must be on time and enjoy learning new things. What I enjoyed the most is the benefits
Ill!
"Undergrad Research Assistant" (Former Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILAugust 27, 2018
Great University, Great Professor!! Wish I learned more when I was there. I would like to go back and do it again. Met great people an lifelong relationships.
Good Benefits
Garage Sub-Foreman (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 23, 2018
I come to work and do my job. I was able to move into management in a timely manner. The culture of the work place runs hot and cold depending on the day. My current position is not the best use of my skills and talent.
Academic experience, industry-focused research, invaluable knowledge
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 22, 2018
It was undergraduate research, so the compensation and overall experience was as expected. The whole experience is catered towards academics, and is highly competitive. However, the knowledge that is gained (in addition to what is learned formally in the classrooms) is invaluable. We had access to state of the art facilities and labs, and the type of work is largely self-reliant, without the need for too much supervision, depending on the type of research group.
State budget issues aside, a great place to work
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 18, 2018
A typical day at work was checking and replying to a LOT of emails, problem solving, scheduling project meetings, attending project meetings, working on deliverables, working on individual projects then absorbing the day and planning the next one.

I learned Tableau and Business Objects report-writing skills, as well as Business Process Improvement techniques.

My immediate supervisor was great to work with. My manager, however, was a micromanager and not the easiest to please.

The culture was progressive, despite being majority white. In my unit, specifically, it was white male dominated. Very professional to/with our clients but laid back within the unit. Nearly every employee is at least Bachelor's educated, with several having Masters and PhDs so I worked among some highly intelligent people with great ideas.

The hardest part of my job was keeping my manager happy, whose concerns seemed to often differ from my clients. Budgeting issues kept upper management anxious, since we did not work in one of the lucrative departments.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my coworkers and clients. People in general are happy at the university, and the benefits are very nice.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
unless your department is north of Green, you might suffer from budget cuts
Great to start out with.
SDR/ Mentor Program, Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  Urbana, ILAugust 11, 2018
University offers a great amount of work study poisitons to help out students, however the positions themselves need to be a small bit more rewarding in some cases to help struggling students.
Pros
flexible hours, great working environment