University of Kansas Medical Center Employee Reviews

Wonderful job at Ku
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 20, 2018
Great job with great benefits! Lots of opportunity for advancement. Management was wonderful and expectations were very clear! The hospital is amazing!
Stimulating environment.
Administrative Assistant, Sr Vice Chancellor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSDecember 2, 2018
I enjoyed the autonomy. I was treated as a professional and trusted that I would do my job with out much supervision. My workplace culture was a stimulating one.
Pros
Some free lunches
Cons
Parking issues.
Fast pace, good environment
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 9, 2018
Transcribe Radiology reports. Supervisor was great communicator and helper. Coworkers were pleasant. Off most holidays. U have to pay for parking ( which I had never done before).
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Pay for parking
busy place
Telephone Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 25, 2018
A typical day was spent answering the phone, transferring phone calls, taking messages, calling in refills, and paging the physicians, twice a day, and waiting on them to return our calls.
Pros
my co- workers
Cons
no cons
Difficult to Advance
Education Technologist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 24, 2018
There is definitely a "top down" approach at the University. Decisions are made at the top, without thinking about how those decisions ultimately affect those being supervised. The University wants individuals to pursue advanced education, but offers no incentives or compensation for that.
Loved the mission, not the manager
Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 12, 2018
KU Med is a great place, where people are doing amazing work and saving lives - a great tradition of learning and care.

My experience I feel was an outlier.
The team and department was great, but the chair of the department had methodology and attitudes that I was not able to live with. Lasted a year our out of shear will, but it got to the point where I couldn't go there any more.
Pros
Mission, Staff are fantastic
Cons
Parking!
Home Visitor
Bilingual Early Head Start Home Visitor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 10, 2018
Working as a home visitor for Early Head Start taught me valuable skills in order to properly educate young children. This was a great opportunity to get to know families and how they live, as well as help them connect to resources.
Excellent University
Clinical Nurse Educator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 7, 2018
The Univerdity of Kansas is an outstanding organization to work for. There is a strong mission to deliver highly educated individuals into the workforce, conduct research, and provide care to the community. This is an wonderful place to work. There are many opportunities for career advancement.
Pros
Outstanding benifits
Great Benefits
Student Health Information Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 29, 2018
Great Benefits. There is hardly any opportunity for advancement. Pay is not as great. Wish there were more opportunities. Earn substantial vacation and sick time.
Managment
Outpatient Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 23, 2018
My management experience was the worst I have ever had in a job anywhere. I would have stayed and retired there if it was not for that. I tried calling HR and I am sorry to say they could not help me in time to save me and my position.
Pros
the office staff i worked with
Cons
management
NURSE CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 20, 2018
I love the role we have as case managers - there is plenty of autonomy, the work environment is safe and non-threatening. The management staff is very effective, and provide a great working environment for staff to thrive in. The job culture is excellent. I have been there for 11 years because if the way I feel about going to work everyday. A typical day at work involves running the list with the doctor to know the discharges of the day. There is also huddle sometime before the end of the day - this is when an interdisciplinary team meets to discuss the patient's length of stay and progress towards discharge. The rest of the day is spent coordinating discharge, setting up patients for hospice, home health etc.
Pros
Nice people, teaching environment, well equiped and plenty of support.
Coworkers are great.
Insurance Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 17, 2018
Nice place to work. Staff members are great! Management is poor and does not have time do so all job duties. Things are constantly being put on the back burner. No room for sdvancement.
University in transition
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 5, 2018
Some departments are well funded, others are not. This University spends its time chasing shiny objects instead of building enduring departments that can thrive regardless of what the business/funding cycle brings.
Productuve place but poor department management
Transporter (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 30, 2018
Good place to work for but if you axcel and are a great employee and want to move up they try to find ways to keep you in that department. Management doesn't follow through
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No advancements for great employees
High Quality, and appropriate service.
Chaplain Resident (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 22, 2018
Productive, enjoyable, and has a compassionate team, with loving culture for bringing healing and wholeness to hurting persons. Ministry of silence presence when people are processing their emotions by being there and encouraging and support. When hurting people come to terms with their current condition and accept it and let it go and have peace with their soul.
Pros
Occasional free lunch
Cons
Free short breaks
nice place
Senior Specialist/Developer PeopleSoft HCM (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 21, 2018
Nice place to work. Working for the tax payers of Kansas is rewarding. I've typed 85 characters. I may continue to type some more. I love KU Med Center. I'd work there again
Good internship for the summer
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 10, 2018
Have been working as a research assistant towards my biochemistry degree. I have had the opportunity to work under a great professor as well as great lab assistants.
Pros
Good experience for my resume and grad school applications
Cons
Not paid
good place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 5, 2018
it as such good place to work .good health benefit , care about employee well being ., team work is good ,give tuition reimbursement , good 401k and more,
Potential, If Management Pays Attention
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 3, 2018
Non-Clinical receives bottom of barrel technology wise. Outdated systems make job more difficult and tasks take much longer than they should. Management resists change, unless patient-related. Hard work is not valued or rewarded. Only those that excel at brownnosing are rewarded. Only thing management is good at is dangling the carrot of improvement, without providing improved functions. Rather than upgrade software, you are forced to use 25 year old technology. Good luck!
Pros
Cons
Slow to adapt to change
enjoyable but more interested in new employees than keeping experienced ones
Registered Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 2, 2018
Don't want to leave but opportunities for advancement are few and hard to get. Turnover and burnout are high with very little recognition or concern to keep the nurses that are already employed.
Pros
good care given, positive physician/nurse relationship
Cons
expensive: pay to park, cafeteria is expensive with no employee discounts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kansas Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss