University of Kansas Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
University in transition
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 5, 2018
Some departments are well funded, others are not. This University spends its time chasing shiny objects instead of building enduring departments that can thrive regardless of what the business/funding cycle brings.
High Quality, and appropriate service.
Chaplain Resident (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 22, 2018
Productive, enjoyable, and has a compassionate team, with loving culture for bringing healing and wholeness to hurting persons. Ministry of silence presence when people are processing their emotions by being there and encouraging and support. When hurting people come to terms with their current condition and accept it and let it go and have peace with their soul.
Pros
Occasional free lunch
Cons
Free short breaks
nice place
Senior Specialist/Developer PeopleSoft HCM (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 21, 2018
Nice place to work. Working for the tax payers of Kansas is rewarding. I've typed 85 characters. I may continue to type some more. I love KU Med Center. I'd work there again
Good internship for the summer
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 10, 2018
Have been working as a research assistant towards my biochemistry degree. I have had the opportunity to work under a great professor as well as great lab assistants.
Pros
Good experience for my resume and grad school applications
Cons
Not paid
good place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 5, 2018
it as such good place to work .good health benefit , care about employee well being ., team work is good ,give tuition reimbursement , good 401k and more,
Potential, If Management Pays Attention
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 3, 2018
Non-Clinical receives bottom of barrel technology wise. Outdated systems make job more difficult and tasks take much longer than they should. Management resists change, unless patient-related. Hard work is not valued or rewarded. Only those that excel at brownnosing are rewarded. Only thing management is good at is dangling the carrot of improvement, without providing improved functions. Rather than upgrade software, you are forced to use 25 year old technology. Good luck!
Pros
Cons
Slow to adapt to change
enjoyable but more interested in new employees than keeping experienced ones
Registered Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 2, 2018
Don't want to leave but opportunities for advancement are few and hard to get. Turnover and burnout are high with very little recognition or concern to keep the nurses that are already employed.
Pros
good care given, positive physician/nurse relationship
Cons
expensive: pay to park, cafeteria is expensive with no employee discounts.
Former KU employee
Website Manager/Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 14, 2018
I was not given any opportunities to advance my career or learn as part of a team. After being let go, I have not been offered any other positions that I might be suited for.
Benefits
Cons
Job insecurity and no lrarning opportunities
Very clinically and patient care centered
Concussion Center Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 9, 2018
Center of excellence for patient care,education, research, quality of care. Wonderful place to work, encouraged me to grow professionally and personally. Culture is very happy, encouraging. Leadership is very professional and in tune to what is happening. Professionalism at every level.
Pros
Education, Research, Professionalism, Culture
Cons
Expect staff to do a lot of volunteering in their "off" time
Teaching Hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMay 7, 2018
Beautiful hospital to work in. Very involved in research and bettering itself. Has good security--felt safe while working there. Values it's employees.
Good Place to Work
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 26, 2018
Good place to work for benefits and experience. Offers competitive pay, but salary increases are very rare so ask for a salary that includes inflation for five years. Many opportunities to advance to other positions within the company.
Pros
No Micro Management, Managers trust employees to do their work
Cons
Job security
Physcal Therapy department for university
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  KansasApril 19, 2018
Administrative assistant for Physical Therapy staff and current, potential students. Frond desk representative. General office duties and greeting guest.
Pros
Professional environment.
Cons
None.
Payroll
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 19, 2018
Managed payroll for 5000 employees. Generated accounts for new employees. Compiled end-of-year reports. Ordered lunch in with colleagues frequently.
Pros
Hour lunches
Cons
Explaining timecards to employees
HR issues
High Risk Clinic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Westwood, KSApril 10, 2018
KU was a great place to work while I was there. However eventually the hospital was taking over my university department and I was told a nurse should be doing my job even though I had been doing it for 7 years and was very well liked and experienced. I tried to stay and change positions but had a very difficult experience with HR and eventually decided leaving was a better option. HR did nothing to help a loyal employee stay in the system.
Great environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 9, 2018
Great environment if you're an independent individual. Management was great. Main issue was with parking, but this is not an issue anymore given the two huge parking garages built in 2017.
Professional and collaborative environment
Researcher Intern (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSApril 6, 2018
I worked here as a trainee. The supervisors are very supportive and knowledgeable. Team members work together, value each other's input and support each other really well.
Great benefits and always an opportunity to work extra shifts
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 29, 2018
As a Patient Care Tech, you come into work prepared for anything because at 1930 when you are officially on the clock every day will be different. From acuity, call lights, care, behaviors, and even staff and assistance. Being at KU what I can say is that compared to other facilities that I have worked at I have learned a lot medically more than I did anywhere else. It is always a opportunity to learn and expand your growth at KU. The workplace culture is pretty fair. They try to have incentives and fun opportunities for the employees. I think it could use a little more TLC. The hardest part about working on the oncology and hematology unit is just seeing and experiencing the changes in daily life and behavior of our patients as well as seeing many young patients. The most enjoyable part of this job is putting a smile on our patients' faces and allowing them to feel loved and properly cared for.
Pros
Benefits, no clocking out for breaks
Cons
30 minute break for a 12 hr shift, rarely take 15 minute break, attendance policy; no sick pay have to use PTO
Good place
Service Desk Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSMarch 26, 2018
Relaxed culture. Fun people. Be wary of politics and backstabbing. Most of the individuals are outstanding and they do their best to make it a welcoming place to work.
Good Place for a Career
Clinical Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Westwood, KSMarch 26, 2018
University of Kansas Medical Center is a good place to start your healthcare career. There is a major lack of job advancement in most areas, which can be a turn-off for most individuals. Great atmosphere and great team work.
Interesting and dynamic work environment
Simulation Technologist (Current Employee) –  Zamierowski Institute of Experiential LearningMarch 13, 2018
The simulation center is a cutting edge department that regularly engages in team-based innovation, especially in the tech team. The technicians and technologists are tasked with delivering simulation for learners from both the hospital and university side using high-fidelity manikins (pulses, blood pressure, breathing, heart rate, talking, and even OB c-sections and delivery) and integrating other hospital equipment for a realistic learner experience. The tech team schedule is dictated by the center schedule, so hours can be challenging and vary from 7am to 6pm but typically 40-45 hours per week. The team is a great group of people who regularly assist each other with tasks and problem-solving. The whole team has an all-hand-on-deck sort of feel. I have worked in a wide array of industries (agriculture, food manufacturing, construction equipment manufacturing) and this is the best group of people I have worked with.
Pros
Interesting work, comp time for overtime, occasional catered lunches, beautiful facilities
Cons
Hours are not consistent (always 40+), parking and transportation on campus is a challenge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kansas Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.7Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss