University of Kansas Medical Center
76Above average

University of Kansas Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States208 reviews
The department that I was in, I DID NOT care for!!! Very unprofessional/one-sided. I was young and most of them were older. Did not like change, either!! A job with good pay for a fresh college grad, but low workload and terrible work culture. Mentally exhausting and would rather be out a job than to be unhappy like they all were. In their early 40's+, acting like they hate everything.

Old buildings and bathrooms are disgusting. Parking can be on the street (risky), in a far sketchy lot, or be on the waitlist for an overpriced garage.. Not all depts pay for your parking so it comes out of your check.
Pros
PTO flexibility, benefits
Cons
Lack of: workload, diversity, advancement, management professionalism
Great company but management needs a lot of work in most departments. Every department needs some revamping and changes made. You pay for parking. They have great benefits and advancement opportunities if you’re in the right place and know the right people.
The department i worked in was prone to high turnover due to poor management from the director and department leadership. Rarely are promotions granted on merit and generally only to one gender. HR and KUMC leadership are aware of the issues. Nothing changes except the job openings.
Pros
low work standards
Cons
Gossip culture, unequal workload distribution
It's all good.Long days at times, but flexible hours. Boss is encouraging and supportive. Upper management is too politically driven. Cares less about employees than middle management.
The University is nice work place.Rules are employee friendly. Time flexibility is available in some cases but many PIs want to work in working hours.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
i worked in support services which was treated like trash.... anyone on the patient floors was treated great. No support from management... When issues arise managers were quick to blame instead of finding the root of the issue.
Management is not for the employees, not much chance of moving up, hires outside work, most employees are travelers, did learn a lot about sterile processing, hardest part of the job is working understaffed, best part is that there are a few people that are there to work & do the job correctly
As a graduate research assistant at KUMC, you get in-state tuition if you are from out of state, which is better than a slap in the face. In-state students get full tuition, which is pretty rad.
Biomedical science is a very fun area to work. You always have that feeling that your contribution matters, and it is going to have an impact on other people's life. Disadvantage is that you never have a good job security since it is funded from grants, and that sometimes runs out.
I enjoyed my time with KU it’s was a great starting point.
Felt more like a number then a person. But pay well and had good benefits.

Just wanting a change for my family
Beautiful landscaping and plenty of restaurants for eating. They have improved the parking greatly so there are parking garages for employees. Good vacation and sick leave.
Bad supervisor management, point system that doesn’t coincide with Norma people and not good benefits or pay for the amount of work required and hours ....very corporate no real personable empathetic people working in these departments. Horrible horrible supervisor
This was an awesome place to work for me! The department was very helpful and nice. During my in processing time all staff members were very helpful, I enjoyed my time there..
Pros
Great work life balance.
Cons
N/a
Administrative Assistants shared a large room. However, the group of 5 assistances were a supportive and cohesive group. Everyone was willing to step in if you needed help. It was a comfortable office.
Great culture, excellent benefits and decent pay! There is diversity in the workforce which encourages fairness and equity. While the pay could be better, it’s an overall great place to work.
Love this facility!! I loved working for KU , I will return if I return to Kansas. If you can work at KU as a therapist you can succeed anywhere . KU is a great learning experience.
Great place to be introduced to the ICU. There are a lot of sick patients (it's a Trauma I hospital), so there is plenty of opportunities to learn and grow.
KUMC is a great place to work! Amazing support from leadership and administration! I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, stable, growing place to work!!
I’ve never in my life worked in such a toxic environment. The managers were the worst I have ever dealt with. Not one employee was happy to work there. It was so depressing.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Managers
Enjoyed being on the medical side of the business. It was a very fast paced job. You have to be able to multi task in this position. Definitely a work hard, play hard environment.
KU is very focused on image. Customer care could be greatly improved if there were more staff available. More focus should be on employee saftey, staffing, and equipment needs. Managment training would be another priority. When transition into a larger company there often needs to be redirection in that department.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kansas Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

University of Kansas Medical Center Reviews by Location