University of Kansas Employee Reviews

thoughful
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 14, 2018
During my stay at the university of Kansas, I experienced the most important achievement of my live. It is a hard working environment where you always have to challenge yourself but at the end, it teaches you how to be successful and increase your knowledge
Loved the experience.
Adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 14, 2018
I would get up early, arrive to my class. Deliver the days lesson, test, or speaker and have interaction with my students. During the week, I would prepare in advance for the class.
Pros
The whole teaching experience.
Cons
The drive to Lawrence
Incredible atmosphere, great sales and customer relation experience. You also get to chose your own hours.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 8, 2018
Incredible atmosphere, great sales and customer relation experience.
You also get to chose your own hours. flexible hours, feeling the impact of donations on the university was always a positive thing and i liked that a lot helping the university
I enjoyed working there.
Career Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 4, 2018
I liked it, but I got tired of commuting. It was an enjoyable work environment with excellent students, faculty and staff. The work was rewarding and interesting.
Great research labs
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 3, 2018
I worked as an undergraduate research lab/research assistant for approximately 2 years here. Lots of learning opportunities from bright, helpful people.
Good luck!
Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 1, 2018
Be careful if you are planning on working at the Animal Care Unit. The pay and benefits look tempting but you find out within a couple weeks that it's a trap. The job itself is monotonous but doable, until everyone around you gets fired and you get over-worked trying to make up for the lack of employees. The supervisors don't put effort into helping you learn and if something is done wrong you will be thrown under the bus immediately. Look at the turnover rate for this place and you will see most don't make it past 6 months (if even that long) which should be a huge red flag for a decent paying entry-level job with a small handful of employees. If the supervisors were replaced this place could take a turn for the better, but until then steer clear!!
Pros
Salary, benefits, paid time off is great
Cons
Very bad management. Blind leading blind
Take advantage of staff
Liaison Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 27, 2018
When you start working at the hospital everyone appears nice but after you have been there for a few months they start taking advantage of you. Management staff is run ragged so they are less than pleasant.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
like people who step over you to get ahead
Good Place To Work
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SECURITY ENGINEER SENIOR (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 26, 2018
Working at KU has been very beneficial. A typical work day involves troubleshooting complex issues, checking on the health of network devices as well as other duties.

Meetings are common at KU, usually associated with projects that have been assigned.

Workplace culture is fairly casual. As long as you are getting your work done as well as taking time for professional development, people are trusted to do their job, at least in my department.

The most enjoyable part of the job is my team, they are a great group of folks. The hardest part is the constant worry about budget constraints and worrying if you are going to be given even less to work with and expected to still protect the university and it's brand.
Pay heed who enter
Research Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 20, 2018
Good town, great people. College basketball is life. One of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Few programs are really good while some suck (just like any other college)
High stress
instructor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 18, 2018
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with everything that was required. The best part of the job was the growth in knowledge you can get if you want it.
Pros
I had an income. I got very good experience.
Cons
Low pay.
Great School Job
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 15, 2018
This was a great student hourly job for me to have. I was able to work and balance my school life at the same time. They are flexible with you school schedule because they know you are there for school not work.
Very fun and Loveing place
Patient Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 14, 2018
KU it's a very fun involved hospital it gives its dedication and time to the patient nurses doctors are all one Accord very aware patient care and medication of the patient they give very good advice they let you know the options and the procedure before going into decision-making is for your care.
Pros
They make so you succeed
Cons
N/a
Checks are good, but you sell your soul
chef (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 14, 2018
Good money, not worth it.
Minority chefs are not promoted.
The workplace is overly negative and just hateful in general.
You pay out the nose for health insurance and are charged too much for employee parking.
Which you are never guaranteed a spot. So often you pay for a parking permit you hardly use.
Women chefs do not advance well either, ever.
Pros
free lunch, good money
Cons
everything else
Flexible place to work
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 13, 2018
The office works with folks on flex time. They offer professional training classes to help with your job and possible promotion opportunities. Fun place to work.
Was able to perform duties without supervision
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KS 66045June 5, 2018
Loved working with college students and finished my career working part-time. I working for the University newspaper for 19 years. Was sad to see the decline of readership because of social media.
Great Work Environment
Student Hourly-Recording Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 31, 2018
The application process seemed intimidating as I was preparing for a Work Study Job, but it was very straightforward and my supervisor helped make the experience enjoyable even when it was more effortful than usual.
Relaxed and Fun
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 30, 2018
I helped teach the bowling class at the University of Kansas. It is super easy, organized, and can be as fun as you make it. The head instructor is super easy to communicate with.
Good Balance of Autonomy/Teamwork
Assistant Complex Director (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 29, 2018
During my two years at KU working as an Assistant Complex Director for KU Student Housing, I enjoyed the balance that I had in terms of autonomy and working with my immediate team. I was also a full-time Master's student, so maintaining the balance between school and work was often very stressful. The department was supportive of the other graduate students and myself, and overall I enjoyed my experience there.
Wasn't here long, but stay was good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 24, 2018
I wasn't here terribly long and worked as a research assistant through the work study program. The partnership was great and I learned a lot in the time I was there, can't speak to what it's like as real faculty.
Excellent place for students
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMay 20, 2018
Quality of education is very high and students learn a lot from highly experienced professors. The professors not only teach students from academic prospective, but also from the practical and industrial perspective.