University of Kansas Employee Reviews

Good place to start a research career
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 24, 2018
Plenty of opportunities, but will have to be proactive to capitalize. KU can at times be a satellite partnership with a bigger research group elsewhere.
Nice gym
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 24, 2018
I enjoyed going to the gym at KU. The cafe could have been improved as not many options for people who don't have meal plan (only undergraduates do). Overall I enjoyed my 3 years at KU.
Great jobs for students who want to work part time.
Jayhawk Motorsports, Aerodynamics Analytics Lead (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 23, 2018
Great jobs for students who want to work part time while in school. They were pretty relaxed on work hours specially if you inform them ahead of time that you have an exam coming up that you need to prepare for.
Pros
Relaxed Enviroment
Cons
No Cons
Took the class as a student, then taught the class as UTA
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 12, 2018
I was lucky to have a great professor and other UTA's to work with during the two semesters of the lab class. Most of the workload and organization was done by the professor and the GTA. I just supervised the students, made sure they were following safety procedures, set up and stored equipment and samples. It was not stressful at all.
Pros
work where you study
Cons
not a lot of collaboration
Ok place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 6, 2018
Needs more diversity in faculty but overall an ok place to work. The neighboring schools are good and the town of Lawrence is a good family town where you can safely raise a family.
Very collaborative
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 5, 2018
As a Graduate Research Assistant, I enjoyed working with my professor. Overall, the professors treat doctoral students like their colleagues. They treat all students fairly and respectfully. University of Kansas is a home for all.
Ku
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 28, 2018
KU was a great opportunity for me. Making the most of a position is who I am as an employee. I was able to go into a position where my current skills were good enough to do a good job. However, I was allowed the opportunity to grow and provide the next level of service to those my position served. Instead of fulfilling the job description as it was, I was encouraged to learn potential improvements through our updated systems so that my work was more transparent than the position had been in the past and a better quality when it was passed to the next stage of the process. The hardest part of my job was the excessive workload but that was being addressed as I was leaving KU a few years ago. My department and manager were understanding of family needs and I was allowed to be somewhat flexible, working occasional nights and weekends (my choice) if needed to accommodate urgent family medical needs during the workday.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Department workload disparity
Productive Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 15, 2018
Lots of room to grow. Management is nice and will help you toward your career goals. Only thing was my positions were intern/student based, but they have plenty of jobs for non student workers
Good Atmosphere
Research Assistant-Internal Medicine (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 11, 2018
The company was a great environment and company to work for. The Supervisors were patient and understanding. If something was bothering me I was able to talk about it.
Good benefits, mediocre pay, no advancement opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KS 66045July 29, 2018
As a staff worker, I had a steady day-to-day job in a decent but crowded environment. The university offers good benefits which is its major draw for a staff employee. Management varies from excellent to sub-par, depending upon the manager. The overall culture is that if you don't have an advanced degree, you can't rise in the organization, no matter how much experience or specialized skills you have.
Pros
Good insurance, vacation, sick leave benefits
Cons
No advancement possible without a Master's Degree or above
Post-Doctor fellow
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Kansas , USAJuly 17, 2018
I was at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Medicinal Chemistry Department, Kansas, USA 1980-1982. I was a Post-Doctor fellow, doing research work on necleocides.
thoughful
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 14, 2018
During my stay at the university of Kansas, I experienced the most important achievement of my live. It is a hard working environment where you always have to challenge yourself but at the end, it teaches you how to be successful and increase your knowledge
Loved the experience.
Adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 14, 2018
I would get up early, arrive to my class. Deliver the days lesson, test, or speaker and have interaction with my students. During the week, I would prepare in advance for the class.
Pros
The whole teaching experience.
Cons
The drive to Lawrence
Incredible atmosphere, great sales and customer relation experience. You also get to chose your own hours.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 8, 2018
Incredible atmosphere, great sales and customer relation experience.
You also get to chose your own hours. flexible hours, feeling the impact of donations on the university was always a positive thing and i liked that a lot helping the university
I enjoyed working there.
Career Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 4, 2018
I liked it, but I got tired of commuting. It was an enjoyable work environment with excellent students, faculty and staff. The work was rewarding and interesting.
Great research labs
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 3, 2018
I worked as an undergraduate research lab/research assistant for approximately 2 years here. Lots of learning opportunities from bright, helpful people.
Good luck!
Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 1, 2018
Be careful if you are planning on working at the Animal Care Unit. The pay and benefits look tempting but you find out within a couple weeks that it's a trap. The job itself is monotonous but doable, until everyone around you gets fired and you get over-worked trying to make up for the lack of employees. The supervisors don't put effort into helping you learn and if something is done wrong you will be thrown under the bus immediately. Look at the turnover rate for this place and you will see most don't make it past 6 months (if even that long) which should be a huge red flag for a decent paying entry-level job with a small handful of employees. If the supervisors were replaced this place could take a turn for the better, but until then steer clear!!
Pros
Salary, benefits, paid time off is great
Cons
Very bad management. Blind leading blind
Take advantage of staff
Liaison Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 27, 2018
When you start working at the hospital everyone appears nice but after you have been there for a few months they start taking advantage of you. Management staff is run ragged so they are less than pleasant.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
like people who step over you to get ahead
Good Place To Work
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SECURITY ENGINEER SENIOR (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 26, 2018
Working at KU has been very beneficial. A typical work day involves troubleshooting complex issues, checking on the health of network devices as well as other duties.

Meetings are common at KU, usually associated with projects that have been assigned.

Workplace culture is fairly casual. As long as you are getting your work done as well as taking time for professional development, people are trusted to do their job, at least in my department.

The most enjoyable part of the job is my team, they are a great group of folks. The hardest part is the constant worry about budget constraints and worrying if you are going to be given even less to work with and expected to still protect the university and it's brand.
Pay heed who enter
Research Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJune 20, 2018
Good town, great people. College basketball is life. One of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Few programs are really good while some suck (just like any other college)