University of Kansas Employee Reviews

The University of Kansas Hospital System.
CLINICAL NURSE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSNovember 13, 2018
This is a great hospital with strong competency and care provided. For career there is not much reward for acquiring degrees and working toward promotions because they are not available.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSNovember 8, 2018
KU is an exciting place to work. We get to learn about the current research, award-winning students and faculty, demonstrations, art and history exhibits, etc.
The work environment is understanding of my personal needs. We work as a team in every way.
Great place to learn about applied behavior analysis
Research Assistant, Dozier Laboratory (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSNovember 7, 2018
I didn't work at KU itself, I did practicum work for my degree there in the early education and special education classrooms. I was studying applied behavior analysis.
great place to work but no raises
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSNovember 5, 2018
love working here and the people just wish there was more opportunities for advancement and raises. pretty easy going environment a lot of great people around.
Pros
time off overtime
Cons
no raises
School of Nursing
Nurse Practitioner Student (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 17, 2018
There are pros and cons to every school of nursing. Overall, it is a great school and the nursing program is successful. The program requires their professors to actively practice as nurse practitioners.
Good people and hard-working job, but also low pay in the landscaping department
Landscape Worker (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 30, 2018
The atmosphere in the landscaping department at KU is some days good, but many days has bad vibes due to all staff members knowing that the department may get contracted out to a private business. On top of worrying about whether you'll be transferred to another department, but just thinking about the hard work you've put into this job and have no pay to show for it. The benefits are great, but their greatness is being blinded by the lack of a good-sized check.

It's a fun job that doesn't keep you locked inside all day. Enjoying the fresh air, even on bad weather days, is enough to make you thankful that you're not stuck at a desk like the secretary down the hall.
Pros
Good hard-days work, outside job, good coworkers, get to work at a beautiful and progressive university.
Cons
Lack of money from the university on the landscaping department, lack of equipment, lack of knowledgeable management, low pay for hard work.
Good place to start a research career
GRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 24, 2018
Plenty of opportunities, but will have to be proactive to capitalize. KU can at times be a satellite partnership with a bigger research group elsewhere.
Nice gym
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 24, 2018
I enjoyed going to the gym at KU. The cafe could have been improved as not many options for people who don't have meal plan (only undergraduates do). Overall I enjoyed my 3 years at KU.
Great jobs for students who want to work part time.
Jayhawk Motorsports, Aerodynamics Analytics Lead (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 23, 2018
Great jobs for students who want to work part time while in school. They were pretty relaxed on work hours specially if you inform them ahead of time that you have an exam coming up that you need to prepare for.
Pros
Relaxed Enviroment
Cons
No Cons
Took the class as a student, then taught the class as UTA
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 12, 2018
I was lucky to have a great professor and other UTA's to work with during the two semesters of the lab class. Most of the workload and organization was done by the professor and the GTA. I just supervised the students, made sure they were following safety procedures, set up and stored equipment and samples. It was not stressful at all.
Pros
work where you study
Cons
not a lot of collaboration
Ok place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 6, 2018
Needs more diversity in faculty but overall an ok place to work. The neighboring schools are good and the town of Lawrence is a good family town where you can safely raise a family.
Very collaborative
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 5, 2018
As a Graduate Research Assistant, I enjoyed working with my professor. Overall, the professors treat doctoral students like their colleagues. They treat all students fairly and respectfully. University of Kansas is a home for all.
Ku
Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 28, 2018
KU was a great opportunity for me. Making the most of a position is who I am as an employee. I was able to go into a position where my current skills were good enough to do a good job. However, I was allowed the opportunity to grow and provide the next level of service to those my position served. Instead of fulfilling the job description as it was, I was encouraged to learn potential improvements through our updated systems so that my work was more transparent than the position had been in the past and a better quality when it was passed to the next stage of the process. The hardest part of my job was the excessive workload but that was being addressed as I was leaving KU a few years ago. My department and manager were understanding of family needs and I was allowed to be somewhat flexible, working occasional nights and weekends (my choice) if needed to accommodate urgent family medical needs during the workday.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Department workload disparity
Productive Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSAugust 15, 2018
Lots of room to grow. Management is nice and will help you toward your career goals. Only thing was my positions were intern/student based, but they have plenty of jobs for non student workers
Good Atmosphere
Research Assistant-Internal Medicine (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSAugust 11, 2018
The company was a great environment and company to work for. The Supervisors were patient and understanding. If something was bothering me I was able to talk about it.
Good benefits, mediocre pay, no advancement opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KS 66045July 29, 2018
As a staff worker, I had a steady day-to-day job in a decent but crowded environment. The university offers good benefits which is its major draw for a staff employee. Management varies from excellent to sub-par, depending upon the manager. The overall culture is that if you don't have an advanced degree, you can't rise in the organization, no matter how much experience or specialized skills you have.
Pros
Good insurance, vacation, sick leave benefits
Cons
No advancement possible without a Master's Degree or above
Post-Doctor fellow
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Kansas , USAJuly 17, 2018
I was at the Faculty of Pharmacy, Medicinal Chemistry Department, Kansas, USA 1980-1982. I was a Post-Doctor fellow, doing research work on necleocides.
thoughful
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 14, 2018
During my stay at the university of Kansas, I experienced the most important achievement of my live. It is a hard working environment where you always have to challenge yourself but at the end, it teaches you how to be successful and increase your knowledge
Loved the experience.
Adjunct professor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 14, 2018
I would get up early, arrive to my class. Deliver the days lesson, test, or speaker and have interaction with my students. During the week, I would prepare in advance for the class.
Pros
The whole teaching experience.
Cons
The drive to Lawrence
Incredible atmosphere, great sales and customer relation experience. You also get to chose your own hours.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSJuly 8, 2018
Incredible atmosphere, great sales and customer relation experience.
You also get to chose your own hours. flexible hours, feeling the impact of donations on the university was always a positive thing and i liked that a lot helping the university