University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

It is a place that teaches you a lot
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 15, 2018
It is relaxed and all that is asked of you is to remain passionate and get your work done. The research is pretty interesting and has a lot of real-life applications once it is completed.
Workplace Culture
Patient Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 11, 2018
As with other hospitals, there seems to be a shortage of staff throughout the units. The University of Kentucky has a 5 Core Values they live by which are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Out of the five values, teamwork seems to be the hardest to accomplish. This may be due to some communication problems that can occur due to lost translation from managers to staff.
Pros
Great Retirement package/ Medical Benefits are great
Cons
Communication, Taking away Tuition reimbursement for all other KY schools except UK.
Ok place to work
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 28, 2018
Place to work managers need to quit being so lazy,
They do not preach their employees very well. World a good place to sell Geritol more pepto bismol
loved it
Communications Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 26, 2018
Never leave, only some departments are bad. Healthcare is the best. I wish I had never left to be honest. The pay is not great but the benefits are worth it.
A fun place to work throughout college
Facility Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 26, 2018
I was a Facility Assistant at the Johnson Center and Alumni Gym. I enjoyed the work environment and the convenient schedule. However, the minimum wage pay was not worth the demands of the position.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Low pay
Great place to work and nice campus
Accountant PR (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 21, 2018
Work hours are usually 7.5 hour days, which allows for work/life balance. Benefits are great and employees may use the gym/pool. There is a hospital on site which is also nice. They do promote from within so there are opportunities for advancement. Employees can go to classes on campus free up to 6 credit hours.
Pros
Benefits, work hour, free classes
Cons
none noted
Full time student.
MSW Student (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 20, 2018
The College of Social Work provided a supportive and collaborative experience while I was a full-time student. Curriculum was engaging and challenging.
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 18, 2018
I learned a lot of lab skills in the UK for 3 years. It's a beautiful place to work and live. Everyone in my lab is very kind. There is a seminar every two weeks that I can gain some new information. While the hardest part of the job is no hardest. We can get through every problem by discussing with my boss and colleagues. It's a very enjoyable place.
University of Kentucky
Student Affairs Officer II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 17, 2018
The University of Kentucky has an excellent retirement plan. The health care plan is also great. As an employer, the University of Kentucky strives to promote diversity in all aspects of work as well.
Pros
Job opportunities and growth
Cons
Salary
Good Work Opportunities
State Extension and Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 8, 2018
I worked many years in different roles -- all with good experiences. It has been 20 years now so my current review may or may not apply, although I suspect it still does.
Favoritisim, mostly family and couples allowed in department, lack of minorities on certain shifts
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYAugust 29, 2018
Liked job overall, in need of better training for mamagement. Employees are not treated fairley. Lack of minorities currently a iss

The University itself is ok I only experieced bad vibes with the department bothing more to say on this. Yes I would return there under a different department, I am eligible for rehire
Pros
Work on your on
Benefits
Had fun with teaching private lesson and piano lab.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 27, 2018
As a student, I had deep learning on music history and theory classes at UK, which helps me a lot. As a teacher, I had three years teaching experiences here.
Independence
Kentucky-Instructor of Education (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 26, 2018
Had to know how to work on your own. No assistance with class projects. Funding for innovative ideas. Professor were not as friendly as they could be.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Funding
Relaxed yet productive workplace
Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 24, 2018
competitive environment, relaxed yet productive work place, decent work environment, very good management with fair benefits. Very good work life balance.
Finance: Micromanaged and long hours
Financial Liaison (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 17, 2018
"People leave bad management" GME has the highest turnover and it is 100% bc of management.

CONS....poor management, poor advancement, low pay raise, slow growth, stressful work environment, over worked, long hours
Pros
retirement match
Most Difficult Job Ever
Senior Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 16, 2018
Working at the university was rewarding because of the patients and dental providers. Most co-workers were a pleasure to work with while others were impossible. Management was not able to resolve continuous situations that occurred resulting in myself leaving and multiple others followed, even the clinic manager.
Benefits
Cons
Managment, parking
UK is a good place to work and has great benefits.
Administrative Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 13, 2018
I like working at UK but they are going to everything being computerized and eliminating positions. they have good benefits and have enjoyed working here greatly. I would recommend UK to anyone looking for a job.
Pros
good working conditions and training
Cons
very stressful at times.
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Falmouth, KYAugust 10, 2018
I had three managers all of the same rank..I was shared between all three, and it was stressful. It allowed them to blame many things on me and I felt very disrespected. I did not get paid enough for my qualifications and work.
Benefits
Cons
Salary, training, managers not held accountable
Department of DHN is great
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 10, 2018
I was in a temporary position but I loved working my department. I was treated fairly and the compensation was good for an assistantship. Good benefits too!
Pediatric is an awesome place to work. Helping the parents and children is very rewarding.
Medical Assistant/CST/STEPS (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KY 40511August 9, 2018
UK is a great place to work however parking is horrible.
The Pediatric Specialty Clinic/department has a terrific team of doctors, CSTs, Nurses and so much more.
Pros
Awesome teams
Cons
Parking is expensive and horrible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight