University of Kentucky
Happiness rating is 72 out of 100

University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

The university of Kentucky is a great place to work. The benefits are greats. However, the lack of advancement is the reason why I am leaving. Departments can be hard to get into unless you know someone and people often don’t leave positions unless they retire so it’s the same people.
Worked as a postdoctoral fellow. The lab was highly stressful and the PI was a great contributor to the stressful environment. Had great interactions with other co-workers.
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
stressful. low pay.
I worked in 2 different departments during my time at UK (research and clinical). Both teams were very inclusive, warm, encouraging and helped me train comfortably and were invested in my career. Always looked forward to my jobs!
Great place to work. Management works hard to provide a positive work environment. Department is overloaded with work and it is unevenly distributed. Not much training provided but current staff helps out new employees.
Pros
Do not micromanage
Cons
overloaded with projects
I'm a graduate student who has worked as a research assistant, teaching assistant, and other similar roles. I love UK for the most part. Good training, good opportunities, fair work/life balance, good student health insurance.
Pros
Student health insurance, work/life balance, good training, free tuition for funded graduate students
Cons
Grad student compensation is too low for the work that you do, but it is like that universally
I don’t know about truly working at UK, DLAR is hired by UK and from experience has a very poor management, they don’t care about their employees at all and is a very toxic place.Very strenuous work, very very repetitive to the magnitude that you will get pain and you might get in trouble if you go to workers pay. No flexibility with time off. In my experience DLAR does not care about Degree you will still get paid minimum. There is constantly people quitting and staff is very limited. I wish I would have known all of this before applying for this job.
Cons
Time off, Poor management, toxic place, people quit every month
Worked as a research tech, paid via grant money. No benefits and other such things, but I took the job for the experience in my field. Worked out great. Boss was great.
Pros
little to no micromanagement, flexibility of hours
Cons
No benefits(for my position)
I enjoyed working for UK's office. The pay wasn't exceptional but the environment was enjoyable, campus is beautiful and it is rewarding to help people.
Most of the people you will meet are great. The university has many facilities at your disposal. However, you might have to deal with some office politics and people in management positions
People there were nice and supportive. Other good things were flexible work schedule and excellent research facilities. Chance for career development was not so good though.
The benefits are good if they last. There is no room to move up. After 26 years. Too much favoritism. The hard workers get more work while the slackers get less it's backwards. No enforcement of rules. A lot lot of toxic employees
Benefits
Cons
Bad pay especially for students and retirees.
Pay is a little lower than you'd like. Retirement and benefits are great. UK is so large that your overall experience heavily weighs on your relationship with your direct supervisor/manager. I have been fortunate enough to work with and for great people. For Healthcare, the culture is still one of independent control by physicians and very little interdisciplinary teamwork. Very little protocols exist or are used. Lower level Healthcare workers are pretty much ignored.
It was by far the worst job I’ve ever had. Was it the easiest job I’ve ever had, absolutely. But the time that was required by supervisors and the security department was insane. Mandatory overtime makes the job insane and pushes people away. Also no shift diff for later shifts.
Pros
Watch football games up close
Cons
Mandatory football games regardless of own schedule, so up to 16 hour days on your day off
The health insurance is reasonable and te retirement match is great. There is also a discount for employees and dependents to pursue higher education.
Worked here for a decade. Great people to work with and a strong organization. I greatly miss my time working there and the people I worked with. Would happily return.
Pay is not great but they have great benefits. Many chances of moving around to different departments. Vacation and sick time build up pretty quickly.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
I met so many different diverse people and I loved my job. However, there was no clear path for advancement, so I eventually had to leave UK in order to advance in my career.
Pros
Inclusive environment, great people
Cons
not as focused on productivity, parking is a nightmare
Rewarding place to work and lots of benefits and they do reward employees for their hard work and their contributions to their job. They always have contest and gifts to make work fun
Pros
Days off with pay
Cons
Very little sick time but promotes health
My experience with the Education Abroad Office on campus was great. As a student, the hours were flexible enough to work right after class and not feel stressed about it. The staff was very supportive and patient. I really felt like the team cared about me and my success.
Pros
team environment, experience, supportive co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
high turn-over in my role, due to it being a student position
I was a research assistant for completing my PhD. The stipend was high among the college but standard comparing to program in other universities. Culture is different from different department. For chemical engineering, it's pretty diverse but not as friendly to females as I would expect in a university.
Super flexible with schedules and help you to succeed. If times are slow they let you study. You can’t beat the convenience of job locations on campus.