University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

Find out who you will be working for before taking a job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 30, 2018
Some areas are ok and some are awful. Find out who you will work for BEFORE taking a job. Reach out to others who have worked there and get their true opinion.
One of the best employers in the state of Kentucky.
Lead Systerms Programmer (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 25, 2018
Excellent employer to work for. Excellent benefits. Opportunity to take up to two classes per semester free of tuition. Great employee culture. Great place to work at.
Stressful job
Fatalities Investigator (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 19, 2018
It's very stressful investigating work place fatalities all the time. That's the only reason I need to find a new job it's taking a toll on my mental health. While I like keeping people safe, it's not something I can continue to do.
Great Place to Work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 15, 2018
The University of Kentucky is a great place to work at. You can work closely with other faculty and staff, especially, but not only, in your hiring department.
love the people i work with! not to happy with the new managment
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  lexington kyNovember 13, 2018
management has no communication with the employees we are made to feel as we don't matter and are expendable. been with UK for 20 years not a problem until the last 5 or so
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
very bad management
TELEPHONE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 11, 2018
Depending on your job choice could be a great place to work, but the people who work at UK are very stuck up and not very friendly. No raises or bonuses for Christmas
Pros
overtime
Cons
stuck up people
fast paced but fulfilling
Materials Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 8, 2018
Uk is a fast paced ever changing and growing work environment where you face different daily challenges and never know what to expect from day to day It si an important and fulfilling job.
benefits
Cons
stress
Productive workplace and wonderful employees but can be stressful depending on the department.
Survey Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 7, 2018
The department I worked for was very productive the Research it contributed to the University and the State as a whole and I enjoyed doing that. The University offered some of the best benefits to its employees than most local businesses couldn't match or surpass. The Univerdity has some of the best employees and the relationship between departments is well-coordinated and efficient. Generally, a good work environment. However, the opportunity for employees to advance and move up the hierarchy takes too long or is almost nonexistent. The same goes for payraises. Whenever there are payraises they are so minute to even recognize the effect.
Pros
Benefits with 401k matching.
Cons
Job culture was very stressful with little room of moving up the hierarchy, no significant pay raises.
Good learninig experience
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYNovember 5, 2018
Easy to manage school and work hours. Can work any day depending on the work. I worked in the lab which was very useful for my class as well. Recommended to work at least in one place within the campus.
Great school!
Student (Former Employee) –  flexingOctober 31, 2018
I spent three and a half years at the university of kentucky and loved every minute. The Gatton Business School has brand new, state-of-the-art facilities.
Great place for graduate student
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 31, 2018
I received an incredible opportunity to work as a graduated research assistant. Good benefits, a friendly and supportive staff. Also had the chance to learn from some of the best experts in the entomology field
it was ok just typical college student work
Patient Sitter (Former Employee) –  University of Kentucky hospitalOctober 28, 2018
it was great i guess no complaints i did what i needed to do to pay my bills and loans i would recommend it to other students in the medical field its great experience in the hospital hospitality you'll learn alot
Reason for leaving Kentucky
Manager of Biospecimens and Tissue Procurement (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 22, 2018
The University of Kentucky was a great place to work, but I was anxious to return home to Houston as most of my family lived here. In addition, the climate there is much colder than in Houston. My work day in Kentucky started at 6:00 a.m., but I was able to leave at 3:00 p.m. I had the opportunity to work with surgeons that I enjoyed immensely.
Pros
Being able to work with patients.
Fast paced competitive
Undergraduate Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 17, 2018
Lots of interesting work but sometimes very stressful. Coworkers were very helpful in getting things done together. Flexible scheduling and understanding.
It is a place that teaches you a lot
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 15, 2018
It is relaxed and all that is asked of you is to remain passionate and get your work done. The research is pretty interesting and has a lot of real-life applications once it is completed.
Workplace Culture
Patient Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYOctober 11, 2018
As with other hospitals, there seems to be a shortage of staff throughout the units. The University of Kentucky has a 5 Core Values they live by which are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Out of the five values, teamwork seems to be the hardest to accomplish. This may be due to some communication problems that can occur due to lost translation from managers to staff.
Pros
Great Retirement package/ Medical Benefits are great
Cons
Communication, Taking away Tuition reimbursement for all other KY schools except UK.
Ok place to work
Librarian (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 28, 2018
Place to work managers need to quit being so lazy,
They do not preach their employees very well. World a good place to sell Geritol more pepto bismol
loved it
Communications Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 26, 2018
Never leave, only some departments are bad. Healthcare is the best. I wish I had never left to be honest. The pay is not great but the benefits are worth it.
A fun place to work throughout college
Facility Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 26, 2018
I was a Facility Assistant at the Johnson Center and Alumni Gym. I enjoyed the work environment and the convenient schedule. However, the minimum wage pay was not worth the demands of the position.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Low pay
Great place to work and nice campus
Accountant PR (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 21, 2018
Work hours are usually 7.5 hour days, which allows for work/life balance. Benefits are great and employees may use the gym/pool. There is a hospital on site which is also nice. They do promote from within so there are opportunities for advancement. Employees can go to classes on campus free up to 6 credit hours.
Pros
Benefits, work hour, free classes
Cons
none noted

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight