University of Kentucky

University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

United States664 reviews
Great Place!
The temporary position I filled was great. Supervisor and co-workers were wonderful. They offered support and encouragement. Wish the position lasted longer.
Company oriented...
The company refuses to hire some people during times they call rough patches. Where they have you in a full time position for part time pay. In all it was a good place to work and learn.
Food Science Department
The food science department is a wonderfully tight-knit community, very supportive in each others research, and truly invested in furthering your career post-graduation
Very "Good Old Boy" attitude in Facilities Maintenance.
If you don't have the same religious, political beliefs of your superiors in the "blue collar" jobs of Physical Plant/ Facilities Management, you will be relegated to hazardous work that no one else wants to do (fume hoods, etc), outdated, unsafe vehicles and encouraged to apply for better positions, only to be disappointed by having the job given to someone less qualified, simply because they are one of the "Boys". Like they do that only to build up your hopes and then let you down. Because they can.
Pros
At the time, good retirement.
Cons
Good Old Boy System
Overall
Great learning experience. Really enjoyed the opportunity to work with an integrated team and the support that offered students in a learning environment.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Could have been worse
I interned with University of Kentucky extension, and it wasn't a bad job. It certainly could have been better (Management wasn't great with organization, seemed a little scattered.) But the pay was decent for an internship.
Treated as replacable
The coworkers are amazing but the RDs and senior staff don't always show appreciation for our work and often are bad at communicating information associated with our jobs.
Productive and Educational
Good learning environment and I was able to learn a lot about my self. Good mentorship and strong research background in many departments on campus. Facilitates a collaborative environment.
Exciting and Challenging work environment
Every day working within UK Athletics is an amazing experience. No two days are the same due to the continuous array of athletic events taking place.
Strong leadership
The University has very strong leadership that makes ethical and practical decisions in the best interest of students, staff, and faculty. I appreciate many of the decisions they've made in recent years that other higher education institutions did not.
Administrative Assistant
The friendliness and professionalism of the employer and work place culture. The most enjoyable part of the job is the variety of assignments of clerical work to interaction with students and staff. For example, I learned how to update the financial database and file an art archive. In addition, the management allowed for independent supervision. Overall, the only negative part to the job was not constant or steady workload sometimes.
I was just a contractor .
I was a contractor for short period of time to do the project of control room and built the built the new systems for Baseball stadium (control room ).
Sports Turf Student Worker
Great team of guys to work with. Very flexible and understanding with hours around your class schedule. Working games provides plenty of opportunity for hours.
Did not feel supported by my manager.
Didn't feel supported by management. Was given a task but not the tools to successfully complete it. Made written and verbal requests to manager for these tools and was given the run around. Then later was removed from assignment due to lack of progress according to manager.
The University of Kentucky as a Research institution provide a safe work environment that is empowers achievement of group and personal goals to grow
I worked in Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering Department which has great and friendly environment for work. The leadership at the time I left was terrible and petty but on the whole, the department is a great place to work. I also worked in Plants and Soil Science department and that is a warm and encouraging work environment. Diversity is well respected.
Job Advancement - Impossible
It is hard to get on at UK and even after you get on it is even harder to get a promotion. People work here until they die.. new positions are not created very often. Typically you are in the position you are hired into unless someone leaves or retires. So be happy with the job that you getting for 5-10 years. Your Salary will remain the same for the entire time as well. Benefits are amazing.
Great Work Environment
The employees at William T Young Library are caring, understanding and the atmosphere is one of positivity and compassion. I have had a great time working here as a student worker.
Productive and Diverse
You work where you live. I advised 25-30 college age students as they transtion from a high schooler to a college student. I also worked the front desk at the resident hall and provided amazing customer service to anyone who walks in the building.
Great work place
Working at UK was a great experience, I learned a lot and got to see a lot of different things. The management I had was great, very considering and would work with you as much as they could about your schedule.
Diverse environment, Motivated Staff
I loved working in a truly enriching environment with such wonderful professors and staff. So thankful for the experience to grow in the Department of Community and Leadership Development!
Great Job
Great Job, very relaxed and good people to work with. Operated everything from lawn mowers to heavy equipment. Would definitely be back if the pay was better.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight