University of Kentucky Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
They play favorites
Administrative Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington-Fayette, KYAugust 24, 2017
At University of Kentucky, it's all about who you know and who you buddy up with. Quaility of work, skills, effort and work ethic all take a back seat to friendships.
Productive and fun and learned a lot
Patient Services Coordinator Senior (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 22, 2017
Working there is great. I have been here 4 years and worked all through undergrad here and partially through graduate school. They have been great!!
n/a
Phlebotomist/CMA (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 21, 2017
This was a good place to start my career. It had it's ups and downs but every job does. I wasn't a fan of paying to park to come to work. I learned a lot though.
Nice opportunity to advance
Patient Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 21, 2017
They give everyone a fair shot. You don't have to know someone that knows someone to get on. All you have to do is apply and if you meet the requirements, then more than likely you will get hired.
Pros
Tuition assistance
Cons
Parking and long application process
Lots of turn over
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 18, 2017
Typical lab environment. Part of the assembly line. Go in punch your time clock and go home. They pay 6 hours a semester if you can get a full time position.
Productive and comfortable place to work
Phonathon Student Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 17, 2017
A great place to work as a full-time student. Definitely taught me a lot about how to talk on the phone with different types of people and personality types.
Pros
Great hours, great conversational skills
Cons
Shorts breaks, late hours
Great school
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 16, 2017
I had a great experience at the University of Kentucky. When I first started graduate school, I only anticipated getting a master's degree, but I'm so glad I stuck around to get my doctorate.
Great place
Research Assistant, Civil Engineering Department (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 10, 2017
It is a great place work with peaceful and friendly staff. The campus is very accessible. The only problem with UK is lack of parking spot for employees.
Decent
Teaching Assistant or Primary Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 7, 2017
The atmosphere at UK for teaching and graduate assistants was decent for me, but across the board I'd say it is inconsistent. I worked in a department that taught a lot of undergraduates and was paid well. In other departments that generate less revenue for their particular colleges, TAs or RAs may have worked longer hours than me and earned less. In some departments, TA lines cover student health and recreation fees, and in others they do not.
Wonderful
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 7, 2017
I have enjoyed the opportunity of being a TA at the University of Kentucky. It has been a wonderful learning opportunity to see how much i know about the field.

Want to know more about University of Kentucky?

Ask a question
great educational and occupational opportunities
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 5, 2017
Provide assistance to staff on 13 units, assist with patient declines and communicate with disciplines to ensure optimal care for the patient, assisting the nurses in skills, teaching new nurses, assisting with roll out of new equipment or procedures to the different areas
Pros
advocating for patient, families, and staff
Ever changing policy
Network Estimator / Technician (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 3, 2017
Never a set standard of how to do things. Always changing making it difficult which policy or standard to follow next. Forcing you to make a decision that may or may not be correct having to do it all over if it's wrong.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Poor management and politics
Job Security
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYAugust 2, 2017
To take care of patients all day, working with the patient best part, worst part always working short of staff unsafe. management will try and get more help but upper management are very slow at the process.
nice environment to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Jabez, KYJuly 31, 2017
Nice location, but manager of department required to live on site, which was not possible for me as I have a family, etc., so could not advance because of this stipulation.
beware
Central Sterile Technician (Former Employee) –  800 rose st lexington ky 40504July 26, 2017
Uk offers nice benefits. most employees are stress from pressures from management and being over-worked.It usually takes a while for the hiring process to end.
no communication
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 25, 2017
very stressful place to work. communication sucks, you find out an hour before the end of your shift you need to stay for an outage that may last 3-8 hours. then you are expected to come in the next day regardless. not a very safe place to work, needle sticks from bags, and exposure to blood.
Pros
benifits
Cons
no room to advance, everyone is payed the same.
great place to work although i was extremely fortunate
institutional research/survey coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 25, 2017
Mostly a great atmosphere depending on the supervisors. Working at a university affords the opportunity to interact with students occasionally. I graduated from the University of Kentucky so I loved being on campus.
Pros
fairly flexible, benefits
Cons
too much red tape; slow on getting things done
Typical University
Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 24, 2017
I found UKY to be a typical university. There is a lot of bureaucracy. I didn't feel appreciated by the university or even within my department. My boss was not interested in the employees as much as the boss's own research and writing aspirations. I also didn't like having to sit through long staff meetings that lacked leadership and resulted in no action. Even when action plans were made, they were rarely ever followed up on. The work environment was very much everyone for himself/herself. Relationships seemed disingenuous.
Pros
Able to work from home at times
Cons
Not stable and the management didn't care whether jobs continued or not
Great Place to work at
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 24, 2017
It is a very relaxing environment to work in. Great respect for diversity and differences. I appreciate the opportunities to advance and pursue bigger goals.
Composition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 21, 2017
Taught two composition classes and a creative writing classes. Decent work environment considering all the cuts. But still could be managed better and more efficiently especially from a financial perspective.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Kentucky. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight