University of Maine

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

University of Maine Employee Reviews

flexible scheduling, supportive managers
Research Assistant level 3 (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 27, 2018
being a work study student was fun at Umaine I worked with some amazing people. the work itself was quite easy and manageable. I never had an issue taking time off or switching hours if something came up for my classes.
Pros
very flexible scheduling
Typical university work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 14, 2018
I was a field researcher for a large university. My work kept me traveling a LOT. Pay was pretty standard, and compensation was adequate. Overall, it was a positive experience.
Pros
Per diem compensation
Cons
Typical university politics
Student Dining Hall
Student Dining Team Member (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 8, 2018
Well managed, and smoothly coordinated, UMaine Dining is an easy job if you dont mind the sudden rushes of students depending on the time of day. Usually student ran and full-time employee managed, the turnover rate is high.
Greak work place and staff!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 8, 2018
A great work study job for students. Hours are very flexible and work with your schedule. The staff is great. A typical day at the admissions offices consists of answering calls/emails, working in the mail room or helping out on campus events such as open houses etc.
Good relaxed environment
Volunteer Internship Advanced Computing Group (Former Employee) –  Orono, MESeptember 25, 2018
Good to stay and live with family. Chanllenging work, relaxed environment, low request on the working dress. Low expense on everything in the area. Come with low pay because of countryside.
Pros
Relaxed, low expense
Cons
low pay
Lots of Bivalves
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  gulf of maineSeptember 7, 2018
Through the summer internship I drove into Portland a lot and would take an occasional ferry out to Peaks Island. My professor offered this position to me during an aquaculture class my junior year. The meetings I went too set the bar high for UMaine Research and only expected the best. I was lucky to work on a Atlantic Surf Clam experiment that would determine in what depth of water is the growth better. I also worked on Basket Islands Oyster farm and Japanese Ear Hung Scallops! Really enjoyed seeing the new technologies for the upcoming aquaculture ideas.
Interesting place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MESeptember 6, 2018
I graduated and moved on. Had a good time while there, loved my office work with the data stuff at student affairs. Enjoyed working with students and staff.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Don't expect promotion because the opportunities are not many.
School
Administrative aide (Former Employee) –  Orono, MESeptember 5, 2018
University of Maine is a good institution. I enjoyed my time at the school. I met smart and hard working individuals. I appreciate everything I learned at the university.
Benefits
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 22, 2018
The benefits were good but the general complaint from coworkers was the low pay. I personally did not care for the department I was in and found it to be a very hostile environment to work in. I was unable to get assistance with my concerns when I reached out to management, rather I was treated worse for speaking up. I do know that other departments in the University are more positive and have awesome work environments. Unfortunately, I had an very hostile and unpleasant department and manager, so I chose to leave.
benefits
Cons
management support
It was a great learning experience
Lab Worker (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEAugust 2, 2018
Usually I would go into work at around 8. The boss was really nice. There was a lot of structure to our days. I did a variety of different things. I learned a lot of skills.
Great Place to work
Director of Facilities and Construction (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEJuly 27, 2018
My superiors were very confident in my abilities and very supportive in all of the challenges we faced. It was one of the best places I have worked in in my life. all worked together for the common good of the campus. I participated in local endeavors to help in the community and college partnership. the workplace was friendly and we were able to do things previously thought undoable. I learned about Biofuels and wind power since we supported both. When I first arrived it was apparent that the college facilities was in need of reorganization and out of compliance with both State and Local compliance. that was a fight but we did it.
Pros
breakfast was covered
Cons
non
Challenging sports programs that keep you engaged and learning.
Assistant Student Information Director (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 13, 2018
I learned how to be a productive media member of a division 1 basketball program. I was able to engage with players and coaches on a high level college sports program.
Fair employmentThe UMaine culture is fairly
Safety Specialist - Emergency Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 9, 2018
The UMaine culture is fair and there are opportunities to continue ones education and training. The departments are sometimes short of qualified individuals to fill roles.
Pros
Wellnes coaching
Cons
On site requirements, low staffing
Strong community, strong support
ADMIISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 2, 2018
The location, the community and the work really make you feel like you are making a difference. Flexibility, job security, and a positive work-life balance make it a great place to work.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Bursar - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJune 27, 2018
No complaints from my point of view. Umaine was wonderful and a comfortable workplace. If given the opportunity to work and move back I’d like to work at UMaine again.
Excellent place to do research
Research associate (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJune 15, 2018
University of Maine is a calm and progressive academic institution to do scientific research. I worked there day and night in the electrical engineering department wireless communication laboratory and it was a fruitful experience.
Friendly Environment
Administrative Aide III (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJune 5, 2018
Every day at work was warm and welcoming due to the staff. The hours are flexible because it is a student working position. I learned a lot about being more confident in my social skills.
Nice place, but difficult to advance in position
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEMay 31, 2018
The job is relatively easy, so long as you follow the directions given by the other staff members. I would recommend avoiding asking for a raise though, as the pay system is set in stone.
adjunct position
Adjunct in Education Dept (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMay 31, 2018
I worked here as an adjunct in the Education Department. It was a pleasant experience. There is a lot of support from supervisors and students are dedicated.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not enough hours for my needs
Little to nothing to do all of the time
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 18, 2018
There were a maximum of 10 tasks to accomplish for the week. The management of employees was all over the place and you could get away with doing next to nothing all week while getting paid.