University of Maine Employee Reviews

Interesting
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCHER (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEApril 18, 2019
The job was interesting but often ended up overshadowing more important things, such as my studies, or even my sleep. I intend to finish my term as a researcher but after that, I will likely leave the position permanently.
Very Flexible hours
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 27, 2019
As a student employee, I was able to pick what hours worked best for me and my busy class schedule. Hours varied between short weekly shifts and longer weekends shifts.
Unorganized place to work
Barista and food worker (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 22, 2019
There were way too many people on the job when we didn't need it because we rarely ever were packed and most days the restaurant was slow with barely any customers. Also, a lot of the workers are lazy and nobody seems to care it's as if only one person is doing mostly everything while everyone just stands around until told what to do.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Unorganized
Working with kids
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 14, 2019
I enjoyed my time at the RAD Summer Camps in Orono, Maine. I had the pleasure of working with grades 1-5 as well as interacting with their families and my peers.
Grader
Grader for Mechanical Engineering Technology 121 (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 12, 2019
I do not have much to say about working for Umaine. I work as a grader so I work on my own time and at home. I interact with the professor that I grade for and no one else.
Variety
Hilltop Dinning Studen Employee (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 27, 2019
This job has a lot to offer. You end up with a ton of skills at the end of it. You never know if you'll be working a fast-paced shift or a slow one. It can get stressful and annoying when it's boring but it's a decent job. They are very flexible with hours and work with you to fit time in your schedule.
Fostering positivity
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 21, 2019
The University has provided an amazing array of professional development opportunities along with an amazing campus community and endless resources. I would recommend the University as a valuable resource for training and development.
Pros
Community
Employment
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 15, 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed my employment with the University of Maine. I absolutely loved working with the students . It was a busy environment at times but one that I enjoyed because of the various duties involved. Teamwork was a plus as I worked with so many associates that made my employment enjoyable.
Cool, Laid back
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 31, 2019
This is a great job for students who like to spend time at sports games while also making money and keeping everything running smoothly. Our boss, is kind, flexible, and helpful.
Pros
flexible, free sign up hours
Cons
10/ hour
The University did a lot on a small budget
SPORTS PERFORMANCE COACH AND DIRECTOR (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 30, 2019
Hardest part of the job was overseeing 400 athletes programming, college is a volatile time so there was always a surprise or a twist, but it kept it interesting.

The best part of the job was the freedom to think, manage and apply as you saw fit, i really enjoyed that portion.
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 29, 2019
The ongoing projects in the lab keep you busy. I have learned many valuable techniques that I can apply to jobs elsewhere as I advance my career forward.
Fine for part time, no real structure
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 17, 2019
I had two jobs at the University of Maine. Depending on the department you worked for there was not always a focus on academics, they did not always work with your constraints.
Great work environment
Senior Associate General Counsel (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEDecember 31, 2018
I have enjoyed working at UMS but am looking for new opportunities and advancement. I have gained extensive experience and knowledge. I have been able to travel to conferences annually and done presentations at such conferences. My supervisors have allowed flexibility in schedule for personal and family reasons. I am looking for new challenges and a position that has possibilities for advancement.
Pros
Great working environment, flexible schedule, work from home, great benefits
Cons
No opportunity for advancement
Great place to work.
Custodial Associate (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEDecember 19, 2018
Each department is different. I would like to work there again and hope there is a future opportunity. Leadership is focused on success. There is a culture of love.
flexible scheduling, supportive managers
Research Assistant level 3 (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 27, 2018
being a work study student was fun at Umaine I worked with some amazing people. the work itself was quite easy and manageable. I never had an issue taking time off or switching hours if something came up for my classes.
Pros
very flexible scheduling
Great Place To Get Foot-In-The-Door
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 14, 2018
I worked in the Biomolecular Department as a laboratory technician. The job has allowed me to experience flexible hours and skills such as media making and sanitary lab practice I would not have learned anywhere else. This job allowed to experience a job position I did not consider before working in the lab.
Typical university work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 14, 2018
I was a field researcher for a large university. My work kept me traveling a LOT. Pay was pretty standard, and compensation was adequate. Overall, it was a positive experience.
Pros
Per diem compensation
Cons
Typical university politics
Student Dining Hall
Student Dining Team Member (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 8, 2018
Well managed, and smoothly coordinated, UMaine Dining is an easy job if you dont mind the sudden rushes of students depending on the time of day. Usually student ran and full-time employee managed, the turnover rate is high.
Greak work place and staff!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 8, 2018
A great work study job for students. Hours are very flexible and work with your schedule. The staff is great. A typical day at the admissions offices consists of answering calls/emails, working in the mail room or helping out on campus events such as open houses etc.
Good relaxed environment
Volunteer Internship Advanced Computing Group (Former Employee) –  Orono, MESeptember 25, 2018
Good to stay and live with family. Chanllenging work, relaxed environment, low request on the working dress. Low expense on everything in the area. Come with low pay because of countryside.
Pros
Relaxed, low expense
Cons
low pay