University of Maine

Reviewer Recommended

Recommended Workplaces earn this badge by having an average star rating of 4.2 or higher in the last two years, and at least 10 reviews from Indeed users.

University of Maine Employee Reviews for Administrative Specialist

3.6Job Security & Advancement
Benefits
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEAugust 22, 2018
The benefits were good but the general complaint from coworkers was the low pay. I personally did not care for the department I was in and found it to be a very hostile environment to work in. I was unable to get assistance with my concerns when I reached out to management, rather I was treated worse for speaking up. I do know that other departments in the University are more positive and have awesome work environments. Unfortunately, I had an very hostile and unpleasant department and manager, so I chose to leave.
benefits
Cons
management support
A great benefits system, a terrible work environment
Administrative Specialist CL2 (Current Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 8, 2017
The benefits are the best part of working at UMaine, with tuition reimbursement and excellent medical coverage. But be prepared for professional discourtesy from all quarters and a distinct schism between classified and professional employees.
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Administrative Specialist l (Current Employee) –  UC Rumford/MexicoMay 25, 2017
Working with the students is always enjoyable. It gives me great pleasure when I can assist them with problems that crop up or just helping them with computer issues. To be able to guide new students through the process of applying, acceptance, and staring on their journey is as exciting to me as it is for them. To feel the excitement of our graduating students confirms for me that education is so very important.
Pros
Students
Cons
Changing hours every semester
Fast moving and always eventful place to work.
Administrative Specialist CL1 - English Department (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEOctober 4, 2016
I served as the Administrative Support Specialist for the English Department of the UMaine for the academic year of 2014-15. The English Department is one of the largest departments on campus due to the number of faculty and students. During my tenure with this department, they experienced unexpected employee turnovers and during several periods of time, I was the only non-faculty/academic staff person to in the department to administer the operational needs. The workload was heavy at times, particularly at the start and end of the semester, however I learned how to multi-task at a whole new level and thoroughly enjoyed it. University academic departmental management presented a new experience for me and the intellectual culture to learn from was always exciting and enjoyable. The students also made the work meaningful due to their uniqueness, politeness and enthusiasm. As a UMaine alumnus, I distinctly enjoyed learning the University’s many operation systems and I found my ability to navigate this with great ease. My work was not simply clerical (I was responsible for the upkeep of undergraduate as well as graduate students’ paperwork, registration, and transcripts) but also organizational, as I helped the coordination of the Graduate Program, dispatched personal and academic correspondence, assisted existing and incoming graduate students as well as perspective applicants. I also managed the day-to-day operations of the graduate faculty, which included classroom scheduling, paperwork filing, copying and or scanning and the booking of public events. I created web pages for  more... graduate students and performed other necessary updates within the Department’s website.  less
Pros
Gaining of experieicne and professional relationships
Cons
Temporary position
Excellent work environment
Administrative Specialist over 10 yrs (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 17, 2013
Highly effective and lively environment working with staff, faculty and both undergraduate and graduate students. Encouraged to expand my skills and experience within and outside the department. Highly motivating environment.
Pros
Ability to learn, train and adapt to changes.
Cons
Budget cuts and down sizing a reality as with most institutions today.