University of Maine Culture reviews

Great place to work.
Custodial Associate (Former Employee) –  Presque Isle, MEDecember 19, 2018
Each department is different. I would like to work there again and hope there is a future opportunity. Leadership is focused on success. There is a culture of love.
Typical university work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Orono, MENovember 14, 2018
I was a field researcher for a large university. My work kept me traveling a LOT. Pay was pretty standard, and compensation was adequate. Overall, it was a positive experience.
Pros
Per diem compensation
Cons
Typical university politics
Lots of Bivalves
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  gulf of maineSeptember 7, 2018
Through the summer internship I drove into Portland a lot and would take an occasional ferry out to Peaks Island. My professor offered this position to me during an aquaculture class my junior year. The meetings I went too set the bar high for UMaine Research and only expected the best. I was lucky to work on a Atlantic Surf Clam experiment that would determine in what depth of water is the growth better. I also worked on Basket Islands Oyster farm and Japanese Ear Hung Scallops! Really enjoyed seeing the new technologies for the upcoming aquaculture ideas.
Challenging sports programs that keep you engaged and learning.
Assistant Student Information Director (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 13, 2018
I learned how to be a productive media member of a division 1 basketball program. I was able to engage with players and coaches on a high level college sports program.
Fair employmentThe UMaine culture is fairly
Safety Specialist - Emergency Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 9, 2018
The UMaine culture is fair and there are opportunities to continue ones education and training. The departments are sometimes short of qualified individuals to fill roles.
Pros
Wellnes coaching
Cons
On site requirements, low staffing
Great work environment
STAFF ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEApril 22, 2018
I have worked at the university for over almost 15 years, and the job is still exciting and different every day. The benefits are wonderful, and the people are great.
Great Place to Work
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 27, 2018
Love the Admissions Staff. The hours are VERY flexible, and the managers are very understanding. The workplace environment in my section, Team Maine was amazing.
Great place to work!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 24, 2018
The culture of the Center is very welcoming. Undergraduate students are encouraged to work out of their comfort zones by learning and applying various technical and analytical skills.
check out line at university cafeteria
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 3, 2018
Enjoyable position getting to know the customers. Fun environment to work in. Pay is good, benefits are great. Day shifts were good for me. co workers can be challenging.
Productive and Fun workplace
Innovate for Maine Intern (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 27, 2018
Collaborative and relaxed culture with common goals of creating a better future for companies by cultivating innovation and creative development in all employees
This was where I discovered a love for research and development.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laboratory for Surface Science and TechnologyJanuary 29, 2018
I worked as a student research assistant at Laboratory for Surface Science and Technology for more than five years, while I was a half time student at the University of Maine at Orono. After sufficient training in high vacuum systems, wet chemistry and photolithography, I was given responsibility over two very high vacuum deposition systems and their supporting equipment, all in a cleanroom environment. I did thin film depositions and research there for years, along with system modifications, system maintenance, process development, and experimental work. The culture was both supportive and encouraging.
Fun place to work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 4, 2018
Great environment. Fun to work with like minded fit individuals with goals to be healthy. Clients were always great to work with and always worked hard.
Senior Designer (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEOctober 25, 2017
The University of Maine does not always provide the highest salaries, but the benefits package makes up for it. I work with supportive people in a very friendly environment.
Great atmosphere working around all of the students
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Orono, MESeptember 24, 2017
Love doing research and this was a great experience.

The people I worked with doing the research were great and I absolutely learned so much!

The hardest part of the job was not really knowing what else my boss wanted.

The most enjoyable part of the job was doing the research and dealing with the many people in the various departments.
Pros
Research is fascinating!
Cons
information not always getting to you
Great place to work to gain experience
Director of Research Compliance (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 16, 2017
USM was a great place to work, many good benefits and very smart people. It is a great place to gain experience with a broad spectrum of people from different cultures and backgrounds.
Great place to earn a master's degree
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJuly 24, 2017
Everyone in the department is friendly, supportive and helpful. It is pretty laid back and everyone works with each other and not in competition with each other. The expectations of teaching assistants are reasonable.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJune 21, 2017
This is a great place for a student to work. Everyone is friendly. The professors are all really smart and nice. I only worked in one lab, so I can't review the school as a whole, but I liked what I did
It was great
Technical Writing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEApril 11, 2017
Working here is awesome. The people are great, the building is great, and the facilities are awesome. Technical writing is an important part of laboratory science, as it is required to get the funding.
Very relaxed place to work
Graduate Assistant for Operations (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 31, 2017
Fun crew to work with. Our job is more or less to provide safe fun and recreation to our students while we develop our student staff into productive members of society.
Pros
Family first, fun people, great environment
The people are friendly, and helpful.
Current Junior (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 21, 2017
I suggest being a part of this society for job considerations in the future. I also met a lot of wonderful people, who always push you to do your best.