University of Maine Employee Reviews

Great School
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEApril 12, 2018
I worked as an unpaid teaching assistant working with my peers. It was a good learning experience in managing a large group of people and dealing with their various problems.
Fun work place that is slow
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEApril 2, 2018
It has been many years since I worked there but it was a fun job, I got to work at night and things went very well there, I went in at 7pn and left at 7am and I had time to get my job done.
Pros
I was all by myself
Cons
None, it was great
Great Place to Work
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 27, 2018
Love the Admissions Staff. The hours are VERY flexible, and the managers are very understanding. The workplace environment in my section, Team Maine was amazing.
Great place to work!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 24, 2018
The culture of the Center is very welcoming. Undergraduate students are encouraged to work out of their comfort zones by learning and applying various technical and analytical skills.
Student Internship was good.
Research Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 21, 2018
I learned a lot and my rent was minimal because I lived with a friend. My internship was only a month but would recommend working for UMaine for the summer.
Good
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 9, 2018
As a graduate student I was lucky to have an amazing graduate adviser and committee. My experience was wonderful and taught me the skills I needed to continue my career.
Great work environment
Asst. Professor of Management Information Systems (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 5, 2018
Excellent place to work. I have grown into a solid MIS professional and IS researcher during my time at the Maine Business School. I highly recommend it has a place to work.
check out line at university cafeteria
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEMarch 3, 2018
Enjoyable position getting to know the customers. Fun environment to work in. Pay is good, benefits are great. Day shifts were good for me. co workers can be challenging.
Productive and Fun workplace
Innovate for Maine Intern (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 27, 2018
Collaborative and relaxed culture with common goals of creating a better future for companies by cultivating innovation and creative development in all employees
Higher education is an excellent career choice
Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEFebruary 14, 2018
The University of Maine (also referred to as UMaine, Maine or UMO) is a public research university in Orono, Maine, United States. The university was established in 1865 as a land grant college and is the flagship university of the University of Maine System. The University of Maine is one of only a few land, sea and space grant institutions in the nation.
This was where I discovered a love for research and development.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laboratory for Surface Science and TechnologyJanuary 29, 2018
I worked as a student research assistant at Laboratory for Surface Science and Technology for more than five years, while I was a half time student at the University of Maine at Orono. After sufficient training in high vacuum systems, wet chemistry and photolithography, I was given responsibility over two very high vacuum deposition systems and their supporting equipment, all in a cleanroom environment. I did thin film depositions and research there for years, along with system modifications, system maintenance, process development, and experimental work. The culture was both supportive and encouraging.
Very supportive environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 27, 2018
Everyone is ready and willing to help you succeed. The scientific environment gives supportive criticism rather than degrading you. Graduate assistants are not paid well, but if you want to be in a happy environment, this is the place for you.
Pros
Very supportive environment
Cons
Low budgets
Challenging but entertaining place to work.
Sports Information Director (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 20, 2018
Everyday at the UM athletic department was different. It was an awesome opportunity to practice skills in sports management, marketing and media relations. The hardest part of the job was managing full-time hours while being enrolled full time, in college classes. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching the success of division 1 college athletes.
UMaine Is the place to be
Professional Staff (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 16, 2018
The University of Maine is a land grant institution started in 1865. It provides ample ways to advance, outstanding support from upper administration, and a diverse community of students, faculty, and staff in the middle of Maine.
Pros
Great insurance and salary
Cons
A bit far north, but still only 45min from Bar Harbor
University bookstore
Temporary Part-time Worker (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 15, 2018
Fun environment. I worked with many students. I was able to work flexible hours. Co-workers were very helpful in answering questions and pleasant to deal with.
Academic and thorough, small community
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 13, 2018
The Herbarium at the University of Maine is a very valuable resource for students, staff, and the public. The work I was doing was photographing preserved specimens to digitize the extensive collection of in-state and out-of-state plants.
Academics at the University
University of Maine field hockey player (Former Employee) –  Penobscot County, MEJanuary 7, 2018
Great professors. I have found all of the faculty at the University of Maine to be helpful, caring and knowledgeable. The Arts professors outstanding professors go the extra mile to nurture, encourage and guide their students to excel.
Fun place to work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 4, 2018
Great environment. Fun to work with like minded fit individuals with goals to be healthy. Clients were always great to work with and always worked hard.
Okay...they don't train you very well
Student Records Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Orono, MEJanuary 4, 2018
They don't train you very well then blame you for it later..otherwise it's okay I guess. Enjoyed my co-workers and benefits are great. Not much room for advancement though.
great work place
Student Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Orono, MEDecember 20, 2017
great work place really relaxed. went to school as a student at the university and they allowed for me to get an education and earn money at the same time without being to strenous