University of Mary Washington Employee Reviews

Family oriented
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 31, 2018
The administration at UMW is very understand when it comes to personal time off and family related issues. The are very family oriented. Sensitive to the needs of the employee. Relaxed environment although it can be stressful at times, it is a great place to work
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
Great place to work and also meet different people of all cultures.
Administrative and Office Specialist II, (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 23, 2018
Working at UMW enables everyone the opportunity to learn and grow on a daily basis if you chose so. It also includes doing a lot of research in order to complete a task, which can be a awarding experience for both yourself and the customer once the job is completed.

Interacting with education students includes assisting with registration, processing transcripts, answering phones call, customer service at the counter window, making updates on records, maintaining the policy and privacy laws.
Pros
Free activies, discount movies and live plays, working in a respectful, fun, loving workplace.
Cons
Parking.
Supportive working environment
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 12, 2018
A supportive working environment
Learned a lot
Must be prepared to wear many different hats
I enjoyed working with students
There were late hours at times which was tough
Fun work environment
Intramural Sports Referee (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 11, 2018
Fun place to work at. I felt the whole management staff was always on top of the ball and were never to difficult to talk to. The other co workers are super friendly as well.
No way to advance, poor salary
Officer Worker (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 6, 2018
There is no room to advance at UMW. The salary you are hired in at will remain mostly the same throughout your career, unless you quit and come back in a different job. It's ridiculous. Once you leave, your salary will be significantly higher for the next person in line.
Management doesn't take care of its people. They are unorganized, and make poor decisions based on incomplete knowledge. They do not respect their "lower" level employees, and do not include them in decision making.
The health benefits and leave are good, if you're willing to get paid well below market value, and have no hope of going anywhere.
Pros
health and leave benefits
Cons
pay is terrible
good place for benifets
HVAC Technician (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 2, 2018
the benifets where really nice and the people you work with where great, the only downside was the people you work for where not the best other then that great job
Great Workers, Terrible Communication
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 8, 2018
Work with may co-workers and my supervisor is great. I have zero complaints. There is however lot miscommunication or no communication when it comes to the department.
Head of Access Services and Marketing (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 10, 2018
This place has a great vibe and I have no complaints. Good benefits, great administration that is looking towards the future, and low stress environment.
excellent organization to work for.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 7, 2018
Relaxed yet thoroughly professional workplace environment. Culture of teamwork & collaboration. Hardest part of job is having to leave after graduation. Most enjoyable part is working with students & faculty, in pursuant of a common educational mission.
Relaxed envirnment, dedicated employees
Digital Communications Temp (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 17, 2018
My office was relaxed but professional, full of pleasant people who were dedicated to their jobs and took pride in their work and in the University. A great environment to learn in, as a temporary employee.
Great place to learn and grow
Assistant Hurdle Coach (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 3, 2017
This job is providing me with an education I can apply at other jobs. My boss is supportive and encouraging. He believes in me and trusts me with my job.
Loved my job, Cried on payday!
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 7, 2017
The pay to work load is insane! The only people getting paid fairly are the ones that do nothing. If you work there and you're not a teacher/professor you are getting screwed. Don't get me wrong I love my job but cry every payday. Every time we did get a small raise they would take more for insurance, so in the end you made the same or less. It's really a bummer they don't pay there trade shops more, if they did no one would ever leave and the supervisors could hire skilled employees not just bodies to fill positions.
Pros
Co-workers, paid leave, laid back, supervisors are great.
Cons
PAY PAY PAY that's it, they don't pay even close to average.
Fun Workplace
Internship (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 30, 2017
Mary Washington was a really fun place to work with excellent leadership and communication. If you are looking for a place where you are heard and felt like a valuable part of the team, then Mary Washington is the place to work.
Student Job
Lab Assistant within the Modern Language (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 17, 2017
I am a student at the University of Mary Washington. Being a language lab assistant offers me a way to be involved in the language department. A simple job that offers ways to be in touch with the academic side of the department.
The campus is beautiful and unique
Writer/Editor (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 29, 2017
Every year at Mary Washington is something to remember for me. I feel productive and satisfied with my education there. Though every insitiution has its weak points and falts I am proud to say that I will be a UMW alum.
Fun, but a LOT of work
Student Paint Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 3, 2017
The UMW student paint crew is great for a summer job, especially for students who need employment while staying in the area. The people are typically fun, there's a lot of camaraderie, and the supervisor is an amazing person. But a word to prospective student hires: this will probably be the most work you have ever done in your life, and possibly the most you will ever do. I am not kidding. Prepare to sweat. All. Day. This job is comparable to a construction job, and many of the buildings do not have air conditioning. The pay is honestly not great, especially for the amount of work involved. But if you want a rewarding summer job at a place with great people, have some fun in the process, and sweat your butt off, this is the job for you.
Pros
Great management, great coworkers, rewarding
Cons
Compensation is not great, lots of work
Amazing environment to learn about the literary world
Nonfiction Editor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 20, 2017
I was refined and sifted while in this position. I discovered more about writing and the publishing industry that I have ever known before, and I learned how to publish my own works. Great position to have for a semester!
Pros
Interviewing authors
Cons
Very time consuming
Great Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 31, 2017
There is always something new to do as long as you look for it. Management was very open and listened to any concerns. Coworkers are friendly and make the day easier to get through.
Productive and Helpful
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed helping others with their math work. It was very rewarding whenever I hear that a student of mine was improving in class or that he/she understood the material.
Pros
Works with your schedule
Cons
Slow weeks
Very friendly environment.
Student Aid (Former Employee) –  University of Mary WashingtonMay 24, 2017
Great place to work as a first job. They expect a lot, but are willing to help in any way they can.You are taught what you need to know and then are left fairly unsupervised to continue your work.