University of Maryland, Baltimore Employee Reviews

fun
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 3, 2018
Hate doing these things and when I hit the word limit I'm going to stop typing as soon as I am done , no matter where I am in my sentence. So until th
The culture at University of Maryland, Baltimore is very complex which lacks true leadership skills from managers and supervisors.
N/A (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21201September 26, 2018
The culture at University of Maryland, Baltimore is very complex which lacks true leadership skills from the supervisor. Job advancement is void, and employees do not take pride in their work.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Low pay, no room for advancement, employees lacks ethical and moral values
Nice Colllege
Library Technician II (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2018
The college is very nice. The staff and employers are helpful and supportive. I enjoyed my brief employment with this University. The library was very impressive.
Great and interesting environment to work in which was was filled with diverse and intelligent people
Accountant I (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2018
University of Maryland at Baltimore is an amazing and challenging place to work. There are constantly new and different challenges that you encounter on a daily basis that keep you on your toes and involved in the work environment and the people that you work for and with.
State University
Senior Program Manager, Center for Community (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 16, 2018
Overall pretty good. I was in the School of Social Work. It is great if you have an MSW. If you are not, there is limited mobility. However, I had great coworkers, good team environment.
Typical Postdoctoral position
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 19, 2018
Typical Postdoctoral position. Experiences are highly dependent on the PI, scientific focus of the lab, and funding sources available. This will be true of any higher education institution. Postdocs are just not paid enough for having such an advanced degree.
Great benefits, direct reports can be difficult to navigate
Academic Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 6, 2018
I enjoyed my state benefits and work/life balance. The only flaw of my position is the reporting and collaboration between several direct reports. Overall, it was a good place to work.
Slow Times and Fast Times
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 7, 2018
Depending on your department and because it is a working medical school, you have slow seasons and fast seasons that usually coincide with the academic years. Other then that most of the days are typical and you never really get asked to do things to unusual. The hardest part of my job was figuring out the hierarchy in department. The most enjoyable part was my coworkers and how we all seemed to feel the same woos.
Great Place
CLINICAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 19, 2018
Although at times somewhat understaffed, the organization was really interested in you as a whole individual and not just another employee. There is constnag employee development and opportunities to learn about advancements.
An Excellent Place to Work
Manager, Technology Training (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 24, 2018
I believe that universities in general are often overlooked as a place to seek non-academic sorts of employment, but the truth is that on a campus the size of the University of Maryland, Baltimore, there are thousands of jobs of many different types, all as part of Administrative Services. UMB is a world-class institution, which makes one proud to work there, as well as providing competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Pros
Excellent benefits, including free tuition.
Cons
Certain kinds of workers can make higher salaries in the private sector.
Very dependent on individual supervisor
Research Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 7, 2018
Like most universities the compensation is lower than private research companies with no promotion allowed by the state.On the plus side, most people are very nice and helpful. I have made many good friends while working here. The hardest part of the job is there are many upper level supervisors who do not understand HR policies as they relate to effort and expected work hours.
Pros
good people
Cons
no promotion, poor work / life balance
Procurement - Hostile Work Environment
Abuse Victim (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2018
The work environment is very hostile and unproductive. They don't offer training or cross training. The regulations are out-dated and not within industry standards.

The director has a narcissist personality and promotes division. Everyone is scared to make a mistake. Because he will berate and humiliate you.

Many of the staff members are negative and hostile towards each other. They have a high turn over rate. Because employees are tired of being abusing by the management and staff.

Staff members are reluctant to file complaints. Because the director will retaliate.

HR and UMB Leadership are aware of the directors hostile behavior towards his employees and have done nothing about it.
productive and fun
Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 3, 2018
A typical day at work would be working hard taking care of business while enjoying what I do making my day go by faster while being kind and friendly at all times.
Pros
I always bring my own lunch
Cons
two 15 min breaks and a half hour lunch
Nice place to work
Manager - Systems Programmer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 20, 2017
Responsible for customization of software and document management system for eleven departments within Financial Services and the Center for Information Technology Services.
Configured ImageNow software to replicate/improve business processes.
Integrated ImageNow software with existing PeopleSoft Financials, PeopleSoft HR, and Banner software.
wonderful work enviorment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 11, 2017
The University Of Maryland is a GREAT place to work and learn. You can get paid to work and go to school within the University. It has a great working environment with tons of diversity.
Pros
paid education
A Very Enjoyable Experience
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 6, 2017
I started at UMB as a youthworker 2 years ago and I have loved it ever since. I've worked in three different departments throughout campus and have enjoyed all of them. My coworkers seem genuinely happy about working there. The President is always involved with the community and events around school making him seem like just a regular guy. I would definitely recommend this job!
Pros
Advancements
its a job
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 3, 2017
I have been here for over 6 years now and of course there have been a lot of changes but it is to be expected in that amount of time. Like any other job it has its perks but u get what u put out.. the staff throughout the hospital does make u feel like family.
great environment
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2017
working with clinicians and academicians of many years of experience to teach and instruct students in preparation for clinical affiliations and internships; able to build my teaching skills throughout my time there.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not consistent use of adjunct faculty by some professors
A Great Team but Poor Management and Training
Contract and Grant Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 13, 2017
The team I worked with was fantastic. However, the manager expected employees to self train themselves and be proficient in federal government grant processes in under 3 months.
Pros
tuition remission and free lunches
Cons
A manager that was very hands off and critical
Good placement
Executive Administrative Assistant -Temp (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 13, 2017
Good job placement. Enjoyed working at company. Great networking. Love coworkers. Encourage education. Interested in employees. Good company to work for.