University of Maryland Capital Region
Happiness rating is 50 out of 100

University of Maryland Capital Region Employee Reviews

United States63 reviews

Understaff

Would be a great place to work if the staffing was better. Low staff creates low retention rate, burnt out nurses and unsafe practice. They should work on there retention

Just work

Working here was hit or miss some days were better than no room for growth. When the company was rename the new management came and made changes without any input from the current

University of Maryland Capital Region insights

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Support from manager

Flexibility work life balance.

I joined UM Capital Region about 3 years ago. It was close to my house and provided the flexibility for my family and I. Management at the time was very supportive.After COVID 19 pandemic our department the turnover of staff was insane. This really impacted the structure that was in place when I started.

Pros

work life balance

Cons

lack of structure, poor management, poor communication, lack of grow opportunities

The time I spent working at PGH before it became UM CRH. Felt like family to me. Thank you

I always start my day checking the fax machine, to make sure no appointment, was on the fax from the night before. Then I would wipe down my desk and get ready for the day. My motto is all patients are my, from the front door until the end. I will communicate with the doctors, as well as the office. I have a problem scheduling a case on the day and time the doctor wants. Went the patient starts coming in I will make sure the bed is made. Before getting the patient from the front desk. If the patient needs to be pickup with a wheelchair, I will make it my business to get one. The hardest part was learning the doctors as they learn me. Teamwork and work-family as we work together to get the job done because at the end of the day it's all about the patient. Amen

Pros

Learning and listening, and always make the patient, and family feels welcome to have their procedure at the hospital.

Cons

I feel if you care about your staff, and trust that they will be a good job. Never talk down to a person. Amen

Fast paced.

Fast paced. Must be able to multi task or prioritize task as a clinician. Autonomy is given to proven clinicians. Difficult sometimes to meet expectations because of volume and duties responsible for.

Pros

Aotonomy Flexible schedule

Cons

Staffing shortage

Too much management personnel that absolutely do nothing for the staff

The workplace culture is horrible, no one cares about the patients nor the staff. Management only comes around when something is going wrong and want to try to change things. The horrible staff is never held accountable for any tasks. The clinical support staff walk around trying to appear "busy" all day and the majority of the work is completed by the "burnt out" nurses - and management does nothing to make them accountable.

Pros

The location, it is very convenient to my home.

Productive workplace

A good organization to work for. I enjoy working for the organization as well as enjoy my position/job responsibilities. The on the job learning experiences were wonderful.

Pros

Na

Cons

Na

Not a productive and encouraging workplace

I enjoyed my time my first few weeks as a PCA in the OR. I was placed with many mentors that I was suppose to shadow during my probationary period of 3 months. Unfortunately I was alone during my second week I was placed with a mentor which left to the lounge and was on the floor by myself for 3 hours while I barely had training under my belt. Along with that there were rumors started off which led to me being terminated. As I tried to speak on my behalf I had no advantage and it was used as a he said she said Scenario. There was a cliche there and if the employees didn’t like you they will find ways to get your terminated. Doctors and majority of the nurses was pleasant to work with other then that. I was denied union representation even though I paid all union dues.

Pros

Union benefits

Cons

Management and lack of compassion

High expectations and very disappointing

I have to say, I jumped on board with hopes of growing in my career and change in environment… I had high expectations coming to university of MD Capital region, however I’m disappointed with Poor leadership, lack of respect and support from some staff… The turn over rate is high because there’s no accountability or responsibility for the job/title and the number one reason we all are employed: PATIENT CARE!! There’s no true leadership and the employees are unhappy as well as the patients. The patient culture is abrasive, often irate and disrespectful… While patient care is priority, patient disrespect isn’t! Some of the staff are just rude and careless. Patients are often at risk and are not aware of that fact. And the culture of the hospital is long wait time, poor customer service and a lack of communication from MD’s where it matters most. Why a patient suffering from a heart attack is triaged next to a gun wounded patient? Coming to work to pacify patient verbal abuse was never in my job description!

Pros

Pay check

Cons

Lack of leadership, patient culture is too abrasive

Poor management

Poor leadership, the nurses are burnt out and frustrated. The turn over rate is high because there’s no accountability. There’s no true leadership and the employees are unhappy as well as the patients. Some of the staff are rude and careless. Patients are often at risk risk and are not aware of that fact. And the culture of the hospital is long wait time, poor customer service and a lack of communication.

Pros

There’s a paycheck attached

No Comment

There were lack of clarity and support by practice manager and main managers. There were no evaluations to measure my progress. No guidelines or regulations were given during orientation.

Pros

Great MD’s to work with

Cons

Lack of qualified managers

Okay work environment..

Working in a hospital setting can be busy at times, you make the best of what your just is. I am able to work in dependable which allows me to work at my own paste.

Pros

Like co-workers

Cons

need own office.

Open door policy by nursing supervisor and HR department, Opportunity for growth and learning ,Nice and clean environment. Individual rooms for patient meal bags or kept on location staff cares about patients doctors interact really nice with staff nursing staff

Never ending spiral down hill

This place has been mismanaged for years. The political climate has destroyed the environment. The University of Maryland taking over was not any better, as a matter of fact, it was worse than ever. Executive Management is immature, unprofessional and lacks knowledge of their jobs. Too many new Executives within the past two-three years without experience. The staff treated poorly and not acknowledged for hard work. no one willing to speak the truth and if you do, you are targeted. UMMS has a habit of changing the face of Executive leadership and mid level management NOT resemble the people that the service. White doesn't make the person more qualified and unfortunately, the blacks are crabs in a barrel and will sell their souls to the highest white bidder. When will you people get to the business of serving the community? It's a shame

Benefits

Cons

Financial mis management

No Comment

I do not wish to share any of the following information. This should no be mandatory to complete. It should be optional. This is my opinion about sharing this information.

Capital Region is evolving

The company culture is changing and continuously making an impact on the community. I've learned a lot in regards to human resources and operational management.

Pros

Patient Engagement

Poor management

Good benefits, poor communication, hospital closing down soon so will be layed off in 2021. Lack of advancement, poor management, but some good co-workers

Struggling public hospital due to politics

People doing their best against all odds! Everyone there is dedicated to doing a great job for patients and the community! Morale is always high with the staff and those that are served are always very grateful...

My Manager was knowledgeable and was very detailed when training when I became a member of her team. My day started by billing claims to my assigned carriers and then I followed up on accounts that had balances and forwarded to appeals

Flexible

Can speak only for the department I worked on, not the entire hospital Relax no pressure as long as work was done Flexible with time had option to come in between 8-9 or sometimes 7:30 on summer break to get out early. Supervisor had consideration employee with kids

Pros

No micromanage, Optional flex hours

Cons

Short lunch/no pay on bad weather

Stressful place to work

The hardest part of the Job is numerous staff call outs and working short. Managers always working on the floor and being called all night when ever there is a call out.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland Capital Region. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits