University of Maryland Eastern Shore Employee Reviews

Productive and Inclusive environment
HAWK MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDApril 16, 2019
A typical day at work would involve a team meeting where we discuss goals and progress.
We work to complete projects together.
There is no hard part of the job, the most enjoyable part of the job is connecting with and making a difference in the students lives.
n/a
Dietetic Intern (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDApril 10, 2019
Currently completing comprehensive 41-week program including rotations in clinical, dialysis, diabetes, long-term care, psychiatric, school nutrition and food service.
-Completed an 11- week clinical rotation at Peninsula Regional Medical Center.
-Provided staff relief for one week on medical surgical floor.
-Researched, developed, and presented a case study about the nutritional implications of malnutrition and inflammatory bowel disease.
Not loyal to employees
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Easton, MDFebruary 8, 2019
Management was good at finding faults but not at giving praise.
Length of years worked for them meant nothing. It's all about the money to them. Too many travelers.
Pros
Fellow employees were generally great to work with.
Cons
Often have to go without breaks because of being short staffed.
Efficient
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJanuary 31, 2019
I can't really say to much about eastern shore. I was an administrative assistant to the dean of my college. Once my grandmother died i left school top move to new york to be with family
you cant pay me enough to be unhappy
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJanuary 4, 2019
under staffed ,call outs every day 72 plus hours a week . inventory took me 6 hours once a week to complete . job was overwhelming 2000 meals 3 times a day plus catering ,food truck ,and concession ,for all sporting events .Management need present !
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Stress was unheathy
Teaching environment
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDDecember 31, 2018
The research lab that I worked in offered Hands-On training in areas that were beneficial to the student upon graduation. It's hard leadership skills as well as team work and determination to complete a task. Everyone was patient and understanding. Lee comfort level of the working space offered a relaxed environment to accomplish the task at hand weather in a group or as an individual assignment. Co-workers were very helpful and managers allowed the workers to build problem solving skills and only stepped in when necessary.
Pros
Hands on learning, networking opportunities, dedicated coworkers
Cons
Deadlines, funding for projects
Strong leadership needed
Manager (Current Employee) –  MDNovember 14, 2018
Poor work life balance, lack of best practices, lack of policies and procedures

New president started on September 1, 2018. Strong leadership needed in light of the number of issues facing the university.
Fun to work
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDOctober 29, 2018
Very happy to work for The University that I graduate a lot off opportunity to meet teachers and students I love helping students like me , it’s always fun to be around people like you willing to learn and knowledge . Good memories and good experiences to work for my school.:)))
Learned alot
Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDOctober 24, 2018
This was not a full time job, I went to school for undergrad and grad at UMES. Management was poor when working as a building manager, however it was fun job. I made a lot of iterations with the students who were also my peers.
Pros
free food, gaiing relationships
Cons
The managemtment
Nurturing environment, genuine colleagues, losing students due to circumstances beyond their control is disheartening, smiling graduates, thankful,
Interim Associate VP for Academic Affairs (Current Employee) –  PrincessOctober 22, 2018
The work day is typically eight hours, although the nature of the job requires beyond eight hours, it is a rewarding feeling to assist students accomplish their goal to graduate and find a meaningful career. The environment is family-oriented and teaches you about giving back for the greater good which is a humbling experience every so often. The hard part is seeing a student leave due to economic/health/family hardships since one never knows if they will accomplish their goals. I enjoy the collegiality I have experienced which has taught me more about myself and abilities to serves as a leader. Much has been accomplished working as a team member through grants, publications, presentations, and opportunities to break bread with others. Serving as an administrator has provided me the opportunity to have a 360 experience on what it takes to manage a unit, manage others, and ensure that both student and staff excel under a leader - whether in the classroom or office setting. I look forward to learning something new each day about how to be a better leader for the greater good.
Pros
Talking with students and sharing my accomplishments as an alumna
Cons
Assigning failing evaluations and grades
A friendly and reasonable environment
Resident Assistant/Student Director (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDSeptember 24, 2018
I was a student worker (part-time) undergraduate so when it came to work it was very interactive and fun with my fellow peers and superiors as well. I would recommend myvposition to any student that would love to work with their peers and have ample time to study and enjoy organizing dormitory activities.
Umes
Area Director/Counselor (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDSeptember 19, 2018
It is what you make it! Every job has room for improvement. Use UMES as a stepping stone and not a permanent career path. Networking is a must to remain afloat.
fun workplace
Unarmed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDAugust 28, 2018
• Prioritizing development backlog, planning releases, planning sprints, and driving requirements/user stories.
• Monitored projects through the SDLC process using the Agile/SCRUM methodology.
• Sand Requirements Gathering sessions with Stakeholders, SME’s and System Owners
Pros
free lunch
Cons
health care
Workplace Culture
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDAugust 13, 2018
University of Maryland Eastern Shore has several issues when it comes to retaining students and staff. I wouldn't recommend it to friends because of the issues they have with upper management. They have a culture that's very cut throat and backbiting. Many work their because it's the largest employer in Somerset County however, they don't hire qualified management personnel which causes good people to leave and bad behavior from staff goes unpunished.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
dysfunctional culture throughout environment
Working at UMES
Administrative Asst., Department of Rehabilitation (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDAugust 12, 2018
Working with students is rewarding within itself. I loved being part of the student's success. It was like watching my own children become graduates.
Pros
Students
Cons
Pay
working was average
Lead Campus Mentor (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDAugust 9, 2018
It was a fast paced environment. Sometimes it was hard to balance school and the office load. The other workers were nice but the counselors had some drama that sometimes spilled into the public eye
University Detail
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDAugust 4, 2018
The ability of being able to meet new children every year and watch them grow an mature along the way. Being a mentor to some of them while they are far away from home.
Pros
Raises, culture
Relaxed Job
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDAugust 2, 2018
Took care of students with questions, not much of a mental strain working at the Eastern Shore. Relaxed most of the time and the ability to converse with others about every day life helped. I would suggest it, it did not pay much but the work was not worth more than what was being done.
good enviroment for student and staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJuly 20, 2018
My Experience was limited as a was on contract for graduate student assistant. I was worked with contract as research assistance and graduate teaching assistant while I am working on my PhD degree in toxicology.
Productive and Amicable
Administrative Assistant/Interim Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Princess Anne, MDJuly 13, 2018
A typical day of work is extremely busy from beginning to end. This is appealing to me because I love the challenge of a full day. Management is well performed at this level and at the Presidential level. My immediate supervisor is a Director/Vice President of the Department of Athletics.

The workplace culture is diverse...economically, educationally, as well as racially; we all work together well. The hardest part of the job is probably the lack of commensurate compensation. This is, I surmise, because the tri-county area (Wicomico/Somerset/Worcester) is not a high salaried location.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the ability to interact with the students, administrators, as well as the public. Because we work in a University Division I, NCAA, Athletic Department the excitement is great.
Pros
Employee/Supervisor communication and comraderie
Cons
Compensation Level