University of Maryland Medical Center Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A very good working place to start.
Supplemental Critical Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 13, 2018
In this hospital, I learned a lot about critical care nursing. It provides a lot of opportunities to the staff for both career growth and family life. The job is really tough or difficult but that is where you will going to learn.
n/a
Easton Md March (Former Employee) –  Easton, MDJuly 12, 2018
The management at the center was awful. would not recommend anyone working there. the hospital is not a bad place just watch the specialty's offices. I do not recommend at all employment
A place to gain unbelievable experience
Clinical Nurse II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 12, 2018
My nursing job is trying and challenging on many levels and varying degrees. The hospital in general is an amazing place and different units have different stress levels due to patient load, diagnoses and managerial/staff relationships. I would recommend this hospital to
ANY patient and all competent, strong nurses who are looking to be exposed to difficult and different issues.
Large Teaching Hospital
Transplant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MarylandJuly 10, 2018
This is a large teaching hospital where you're guaranteed to learn a lot and be pushed mentally as you embrace your role. Often you're expected to work well beyond your allotted hours or days because the culture here is just that. Many people choose to work 7 days a week and in certain departments that becomes an expectation instead of an exception.
Non Productive, not a fun place to work
Application Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJuly 9, 2018
Management/Employee communication is at a minimum. Team cohesiveness does not exist. Work Place culture on the team does not exist. Manager has an abuse of power complex where he tries to instill fear in his employees. Continues to make it a hostile environment with in the office. Manager must provide a non hostile environment for his team to be more productive. Entire team is aware of the situation.
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJuly 7, 2018
It was so much fun. I love the people there. It was so relaxed. I could do whatever I wanted. The team members were so nice and helpful when I needed help.
Productivity and Team Work
SURGICAL COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 4, 2018
Working at the University of Maryland has been a wonderful experience. The team of Orthopedics have such a strong camaraderie, which makes the job less stressful.
great place to work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 2, 2018
good place to work the pay rate is't the greatest but it's a really good place good benefits good insurance good school reimbursements and great room for advancement
benefits
Cons
short staffing
University
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 27, 2018
This position was for volunteer work, recommended to anyone who's interested in working the medical field. Awesome experience and learning advantage for internships.
Any (Former Employee) –  Maryland (MD)June 26, 2018
UMMS offers great job opportunities and I have recommended employment to a friend. Also, conveniently located throughout the state of Maryland.
UMMS is s Great place to work!
Great place to work with good employees
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 26, 2018
Great place to work outpatient pharmacy, great equipment and employees, one evening a week until 9pm and on call weekends only once a month, good teamwork made it easy to do your job
Pros
good benefits and work places
Cons
no advancement, lack of upper level management
poor management
RRT (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 26, 2018
Fast paced and busy assignments. A great mixture of culture and diversity. The hardest part of my job and how to deal with multiple emergencies at once.
Pros
A great mixture of culture and diversity
Productive environment
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 20, 2018
I enjoyed working with the staff. This was a work study position through the university that I attend. I felt that my supervisors were very supportive and cared about us as student employees.
An ok place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 16, 2018
I work with fantastic people. It’s probab the only reason I stay. I love what I do, the docs are nice. This place does not give raises except for a cost of living raise, which I don’t know if they do every yearly. They also cap off your salary if you have many years experience and then pay you only $1,500 for the cost of living raise. Nurses say that they haven’t had a merit raise in over six years! GBMC pays $4 an hour more for nurses. What would bring new nurses here? Had I known this, I wouldn’t have chosen to work here. They do not value their nurses. There is no job security and job advancement is not fair or non-existent. I don’t see myself here for long. CEO is very nice, but knows we aren’t paid well and will
Not do anything about it.
Pros
Tuition reimbursement
Cons
Low pay
Does not pay well
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 14, 2018
Does not pay well if your not a nurse or Doctor your on the bottom and they treat you like that .The Towson location does not pay well give raises to nurses but not admin staff
Nursing assistant
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 12, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of taking care of patients and being support for the nurses. As it was Shock Trauma, I learned a great deal. Management was very supportive. The hardest part of my job was keeping up with school work and caring for a sickly mother. The most enjoyable part of my job is always the patients and also the vast amount of medical knowledge that I gained while at this job.
good place to start your career
Vascular Ultrasound Technologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 10, 2018
You will get intensive training there, you have a lot opportunity to expose very positive studies. It's a very good place to start your career, to grow professionally.
Great people, fast paced, great learning environment
Lead Informatics Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 9, 2018
A great career starter, collaborative, good people. Certain departments grow organically.
The current culture favors integration and collaboration.
The institution encourages educating oneself then reinvesting that talent back into the system.
I loved it
Supplemental Staffer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 8, 2018
I really loved working UMMS. It was stressful at times but overall I thoroughly enjoyed my job, coworkers, staff, and manager. My manager was willing to teach and to help me advance in my career.
Good Training
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 7, 2018
I was able to learn from the different nursing experiences. Working in multiple ICU helped me glean valuable nursing skills. I was able to take those experiences to other jobs and soar.
Pros
Multiple Work Experiences
Cons
low paying

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight