University of Maryland Medical Center Employee Reviews

Hospital Job
Spec.\Medical Reception Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 13, 2019
Once you get in, appreciate the opportunity. Your place of employment deals with people health. Don't look for an easy ride when someone's health is on the line.
The culture is tough to fit in, but overall it is a great place to work
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJanuary 7, 2019
Great training opportunities, career ladder, but when you want to move up, be ready to fight management because they are picky. Good management at the unit level, not so much at the next level up.
Pros
Lots of training opportunities
Cons
Hard to fit in and tough to move up
Great people. Nice place to work
Clinical Information Systems (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 5, 2019
It is generally a nice place to work. It all depends on what kind of supervisor you have. Once you get the job and really start to understand the system it is pretty eaasy and straight forward. The culture is very relaxed. It is also very diverse. You will make many new friends which makes coming to work very easy.
Salaried professionals should not be treated as hourly employees
Application Systems Analyst III (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDJanuary 2, 2019
Salaried professionals should not be treated as hourly employees. Punching a timeclock when one is regularly expected to work over-time to solve any technical issue, with no compensation or comp time provided, is unprofessional and demoralizing. Front line management and directors and above should regularly communicate with their teams and provide strategic goals and positive input into work efforts. Performance reviews should be handled in a timely fashion and also reflect individual performance and merit rather than across the board small raises to the masses. During reviews, never provided with any goals or objectives and promotions are few and far between and handled unfairly with no attention provided to experience (or lack thereof) or educational requirements. Workplace culture is one of poor teamwork among teams in IS&T and lack of strong and appreciative executive leadership.
UMMC is a good place to work and grow in your career the organization offers lots of opportunity for advancement
Senior Clinical Nurse I (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 30, 2018
The mission of UMMC is to promote growth and stability for individuals and their families. Since working here I have been able to advance in knowledge and opportunity to experience new techniques to improve the quality of care for a diverse patient population.

A typical day of work for me is dealing with the sickest of the sick patient and the ability to provide comprehensive care; provide comfort to the patients as well as the family. The hardest part of the job is seeing patients and family members suffer not knowing what "is next".
I enjoy working with a team of people who's goals are to provide the best care we can to improve the quality of life for our patient population
Patient care number 1
Senior Information System Technician (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 28, 2018
The University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) is the heart of the University of Maryland Medical System's downtown campus. The hospital provides comprehensive care for the West Baltimore community and tertiary care for Maryland and the surrounding area. The hospital has more intensive care beds than any other hospital in Maryland.
Productive work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 23, 2018
Enjoyed working with this company. Great benefits. Staff worked as a team. Learned alot with university of maryland. Prepared me for other positions in the work field.Great benefits
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Manger was aproblem
Great Place to Work
Secretary Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 18, 2018
Great wok place, friendly staff. Everyone was so warm and welcoming. Customers were amazing. Love interacting and getting to know different people. Lovely hospital
Productive and and great work place.
Patient Care Technician(Shock Trauma) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 14, 2018
before I started to work here,I always dream to work in Shock trauma.When I first started was excited to a new beginning.I learned how to draw blood,insert needles and learned how to insert foley. I love them team I worked with,they was always a team player.
Executive Assistant and Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 5, 2018
Competitive compensation. I developed management skills at this company. No day is the same. Required significant multi-tasking skills. Culture needs some work.
Follow up with Insurance to ensure proper payment
Financial Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cockeysville, MDDecember 4, 2018
Must days i would contact insurance to make sure they have paid the correct agreed amounts on the bills. My job was to ensure payment were process correctly according to state regulations. The most enjoyable art was helping patients gets their bills paid
Pros
nice hours
Cons
short breaks lay offs
N/a
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 29, 2018
I've had a great time working at university but there is no room for advancement or promotions in most departments. I feel this needs to be fixed. I also feel that certifications outside of medical assistant, CNA/GNA, and nurse need to be taken into account. Such as medical office assistant, billing and coding, etc.
MD (Former Employee) –  MDNovember 28, 2018
Worked in the food service dept. Like my job. Like the people I worked with. Job was good and I could work at my pace. I am the kind of Manager that takes charge of my department.
You need to work well with all kinds of people. Best part of my job was pleasing as many people as I could.
Pros
Great Hours
Cons
Very busy
A nice path through middle mangement
Food Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 25, 2018
I able to gain a global amount of experience. The staff, including management was good to me and also the patients. I would suggest this work place to anyone.
Location of facility determines how much support is provided.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Galena, MDNovember 21, 2018
Location is primary. Anything outside the city or a major hub is expected to perform without the resources or support of upper management. These outlying facilities are literally on their own.
Reality TV
Senior Accounts Receivable Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2018
This job was full of drama. It felt like I was in high school. Managers micro manage and nit pick about everything. The moral is horrible. Extremely high turnover rate. No career advancement. Management is not diverse at all.
Great pay, stressful draft
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21201November 9, 2018
Management put the workforce in a bad position to compensate for their mistakes. They fire too many people that they cant afford, while the employees they keep pick up the slack.
Pros
Great pay and benefits.
Cons
Frequent draft. Little time to do anything else except work some more.
Dietary Aide
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDNovember 5, 2018
Fast pace working environment. Management needs work but coworkers are great and treat you like family. Be prepared to wait months to start to work because that is how long the hiring process is. Good job with an adequate pay.
Pros
Nice coworkers
great staff and management
CLERICAL ASSISTANT VOULENTEER (Former Employee) –  Charles County, MDNovember 2, 2018
Learned a lot working there. the staff and management was really nice and helpful. Even though I was a volunteer i learned a lot before becoming a cna.
Pros
great staff, great management, learned a lot
Cons
n/a
Dynamic environment with exciting challenges
Chief Operating Officer (Current Employee) –  Linthicum, MDNovember 1, 2018
Everyday in the world of managing and developing physician practices brings a new set of circumstances and learning opportunities.

Being able to adapt and provide guidance and support to all levels of staff and providers has contributed to my management style as a servant leader and one that respects all persons and their individuality and what skills they can bring to the workplace each and every day.

culture is inclusive and progressive, although very political and at times more difficult to navigate the areas of advancement and progression needed to move a large organization forward into the future of healthcare delivery.

The more difficult challenges have been with the inability to make change happen on certain business initiatives that could significantly provide growth and culture change in a business model that has essentially not changed much for decades.

The enjoyment of this type of ever changing and dynamic role is the ability to work with others to facility change and improve patient outcomes and their individual experiences.
Pros
recognition for talent
Cons
top leadership not following through on mission critical initiatives

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight