University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center

University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great teamwork among inter and intra units
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 18, 2019
My area can be quite busy especially at the start of the day but co-workers work hard to help one another. All disciplines share in the needed work for the day,
Pros
Free parking and a Gym on-site
Cons
Some managers play favorites
Great caring hospital with Great caring employees
Maryland (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 25, 2019
I love working at a catholic hospital. Great Doctors Great fellow employees. It is hard working with cancer patients but it is also what I love about my job working with the public. I am a people person.
staff are awesome
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDFebruary 17, 2019
Loved working with the staff on my unit. When hospitals became a business I fell that the management went downhill not just at umms but all hospitals. I have not had a raise in the past 4 years because I was told that I was capped off as far as my salary went. I felt this to be very disturbing and that people that have been there for 15 yrs are making almost as much as I make.
Pros
gym, yoga, insurance benefits
Cons
Pt nurse ratio horrible, does not use an acuity scale for pt assignments, Does not applaude when someone does something good, Does not listen to complaints from their employees
Not impressed
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  RehabJanuary 27, 2019
Rehab department head and upper management are beholden to administration and powerful physicians who bring in$$. Tend to put productivity over pt experience. Managers not qualified, cliques are plentiful. Floor nurses are uneven. Some are great, others not so much. Staff tends to be compliant, if you question any policies you’re on the outside. Patriarchy rules in this facility. Not recommended for a PT career.
Pros
Convenient location, free plentiful parking
Cons
Poor management qualifications, underpaid
Friendly Atmosphere, if you don't dig deeper.
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 19, 2019
Atmosphere of the overall hospital seems friendly on the surface, because people will smile and say hello to you in the halls. Filthy bathrooms and cafeteria area, rude cafeteria employees, food is deeply overpriced. You're given a good amount of PTO, but you're pressured not to use it, and there is no vacation or sick time. Building is old and poorly maintenanced, there have been frequent floods and building damages during my tenure.

Unethical management that shields violent, harassing employees who should be terminated, and allows personal prejudices to dictate decision-making. Incredible pressure to work excessive overtime. Cutthroat, nasty coworkers who will do anything to get others fired or admonished. Entire department feels there is no job security because of the high turnover rate, and that the management style is absentee and apathetic. I don't feel safe working here and I'm desperate to find work elsewhere.

Management will take away employee perks to cover the costs of their own lawsuits.
Pros
Good amount of PTO
Cons
Toxic work environment, no work/life balance
20 hospital bed postpartum unit
Clinical Nurse II- Women's Health & Mother/Baby (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 14, 2018
St. Joseph is an excellent home to bring have the new addition to your family. The staff is highly skilled and the caring nurses will make you want to have your 2nd and 3rd child with St. Joseph Medical center.
Productive workplace
physicians or physicians' staff and/charge nurse (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 11, 2018
I am a surgical scheduler and biller. Management is great to work place. The hardest part is coordinating time for the surgeons to operate. I love my coworkers
Laid Back place to work. Expanding services at present
Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 3, 2018
Good place to work if you are looking for a regular and controlled pace. Productivity is given attention but it varies on the season. Weeks leading to holidays get busy because of surgeries. Co-workers are great. Teamwork is encourage. Management is currently envisioning expansion of services that could bring more census and work. Salary is not so competitive but enough for the cost of living in the area.
Pros
Paid Time Off, good health coverage
Cons
Salaried status and no overtime pay
Stressful,disrespectful,sexist place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 5, 2018
Leadership doesn't care about the employees. HR causes more conflicts than they resolve. The moral and attitudes of the current employees is cut throat, vindictive.
stress
RN (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 15, 2018
While I have learned so much as a nurse during my employment at UMSJMC, I founded it to be very stressful. Many people are always complaining. Short staffing was an issue which affected patient quality care. After 2 years I have received 20 cent raise. Almost no way of growing with a career.
Pros
Education
Cons
Short staffing, poor attitutes if you need to call out because of being sick
Great place for employment.
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 22, 2018
This has been a great place to work. The ability to move around within was great. Benefits are excellent and management will work with you to every extent to make sure you are comfortable in your job.
Pros
exellent benefits
Cons
no evaluation raises
Steady workplace
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 12, 2018
Typical hospital work place. Great staff , all around the people were nice. A typical day would consist of preparing patients for surgery or getting them after surgery. The pace here is steady.
Good workload, good culture of people
Staff Nurse, Cardiac/Stroke Unit (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 2, 2018
I worked hard from 0700 to 1900 in a fast faced medical surgical floor where I had 4 patients per shift to care for. I learned how to assess and treat many patients. The management was solid but did go through several changes in the 10 years I have been employed there. The culture of coworkers and management has always been a positive and rewarding one. There has always been a great team work environment there. Most of the time employees were recognized for a job well done. The hardest part was learning how to manage different and competing priorities which has been an amazing skill to have crafted along the way. The learning and skills that were obtained and the long term relationships with my colleagues has made the experience a memorable one.
Hereford Health Park
Medical Secretary II- Hereford Health Park (Former Employee) –  Hereford, MDJuly 29, 2018
The typical day at work is very busy with phones ringing constantly, the schedule is packed full with lab patients coming in the morning and 4 providers on staff with patients every 15 minutes, 30 minutes, and 1 hour visits. The management is very poor at this office. They cannot keep staff in management. The workplace culture is very rural. You will have rich society and very poor people come for care. The hardest part of the job was the shadiness of the front desk staff and lead physician. If you wouldn't be their best friends, then you didn't have a job there.
Pros
free lunches with medical supply and drug reps
Cons
shady people working at this office
Great Hospital
Staffing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 9, 2018
This hospital is great place to work. The nurses are dedicated to their job and enjoy what they do. I really enjoyed working with the staff. Great benefits.
Physician Billing
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 4, 2018
Terrible atmosphere. Lots of bullying. Management unethical and allows bullying. Was a great place until all the good people left. Auditor is clueless. Someone should really investigate
Good place for employment
Maryland (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 3, 2018
St Joseph's is a good place for employment. The environment is friendly and many people are willing to answer questions or help you.
I was even a patient once on my unit and received excellent care.
Great people to work with
Physical Therapy Technician (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 2, 2018
There are great people to work with if only management was more productive. You will make friends here but will not stay long as you will not more up or get a raise.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 20, 2018
Great teamwork unlike anywhere I have worked. Family environment between staff. Tuition reimbursement amount is great! Lots of room for growth. Would definitely recommend!
Cons
Low salary
Changes are coming
Registered Nurse- Cardiac Surgery Unit (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 4, 2018
There has been some recent changes to the administration which we are all hopeful will bring some positive change. The people on my unit and the physicians are all fantastic to work with. The cardiac surgery program is growing and we are all excited to see where it will go.
Pros
small, intimate unit, healthcare benefits, retirement
Cons
Too many on call hours requirement (varies by unit)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

University of Maryland St. Joseph Medical Center Reviews by Location