University of Maryland University College

University of Maryland University College Employee Reviews

Great temp employement
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDJanuary 19, 2018
Fine place to work. I was a temp and was paid and treated very well. Would return if I was still in the area. Worked in commencement which was quick paced.
It is just a place to go to work
Motor Equipment Operator II (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21250January 17, 2018
Seniority means nothing to management. They will hire a new person and give them hours by cutting me short of my hours.I have put in for jobs that I know that I should qualify for and I'm not considered for the position. I'm told that a more qualified person was accepted. I've been in security with and without a gun, for quite a long time and that's the position that I was told that I wasn't qualified to do. I feel that it's time to move on. There are no advancements there for me. The new supervisor doesn't give me any good reason to want to stay there.
Pros
it's not far from home
Cons
I get no benefits because it a contractual job. We do have Christmas parties.
The best work environment so far
Humphrey Fellow (Former Employee) –  College Park, MD, USAJanuary 17, 2018
Simply excellent premises and facilities for a scholar to be creative and inspired. Very friendly place and very attentive auditoriums (students). it was a joy to be around them.
Pros
excellent place
Cons
non
University Setting
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 16, 2018
the experience was good in terms of student. Good set-up. Get to meet so many people with different culture, eithinicitiy. Great place to work. So much schools in big campus.
overall advanced work enviroment
Charge RN (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 16, 2018
well run facility.Open to new ideas.Supportive to staff,encouraged staff advancement and development.Very supportive culture toward staff and inanimate relationships toward clients
Good expierence
Developer and Reviewer of Learning Objects (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 15, 2018
Enjoyed working on test material for Dari Language. The tests were being produced both for teaching and testing purposes. One hundred percent authentic.
Pros
good expierence
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Research Technician (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 15, 2018
Overall, the University of Maryland is a pretty fun place to work with a fairly decent structure. Most of the people I have worked with have been extremely nice and welcoming.
Good Mechanical Engineering Graduate Program
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 13, 2018
I have worked at UMD in the capacity of a graduate student assistant for 5 years. The Mechanical Engineering department has good professors who are experts in their field.
productive and good place to work
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 10, 2018
smooth face easy days
cleaning and safety
easy going
seeing sick people blood and body fluids
making someone feel a little better by cleaning there room
Pros
meeting new people everyday
Cons
seeing people sick
what i learned
Server (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 9, 2018
working at UMD i have obtain various knowledge whether it is academically or physically. working at University of Maryland also bust my confidence ever since i have been working there.
Adjunct Faculty are very low paid
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 9, 2018
Long hours, low pay, no advancement. Adjunct Faculty are a dime a dozen and management doesn't care if you leave because they easily find replacements.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
long hours, low pay
Highly recommended!
Education/Testing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2018
Excellent place to work! Great culture, many resources available at all times as well as support from immediate and expanded team, unbeatable benefits. UMUC is truly a great place to work and wonderful knowing you are able to support both military and civilian students with their education pursuits!
It is a very good place to work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 7, 2018
I usually work from 9 am to 7 pm. My adviser is very nice and meet with me once per week. He is very helpful in my work. My lab-mates are also very good.
I quit the job
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 6, 2018
The general manager was sexually harassing young men. He would call a worker "sweetie pie". The environment was stressful. I quit this job. It was one of the worst time of my life.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shot break
Productive Learning Experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 4, 2018
My job as a teaching assistant for the University of Maryland's school of Information Science was an exciting experience that taught me about what it means to be an educator. A typical day at work consisted of attending lectures, teaching lectures, hosting office hours, answering student emails and questions on Piazza, grading, and proctoring tests and quizzes. I learned how to bounce back from failures and mistakes as an educator. And I learned how to address these mistakes and maintain credibility with the staff and students. Management was fantastic under the course instructor. The culture of the workplace was laid back and instructional. The hardest part of the job was the process of learning how to be a proper educator The most enjoyable part of the job was learning from feedback and constructive criticism. This job required that I took a one credit course, TLTC333.
Pros
Comradery, learning experience, built leadership skills
Cons
Unpaid
I just stay to myself and do my work
Maryland (MD) (Current Employee) –  Maryland (MD)January 3, 2018
I'm not sure of what to say, but it is a job. And I am thankful for it. Some of the people are great. This is a learning institution. They do sometimes give incentives to the employees
Pros
Growth within
Cons
People have nasty attitudes
Fast pace work place team is everything
Prep Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJanuary 3, 2018
Great place to work just not able to get full time work or benefits. You are placed on contract after each break so you're just hired every three months.
Pros
Great people working around you
Cons
Not able to get Full Time work regular
dead end
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDDecember 31, 2017
why work in academia. it's underpaid. just get a real job unless your passionate about school as a career. I said what i needed to say. This is filler
Good team, bad pay
Ticket Operations Intern (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDDecember 28, 2017
Obviously an intern, but working 40 to 50 hours w/ 0 benefits can be a bit over the top. Unless you want to work in college sports would not suggest working for the athletic department.
Relaxed independent work
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDDecember 26, 2017
Typical day was spent alone in a lab managing data. Some projects were collaborative which was nice. The deadlines are strict, but it was a great learning environment.