University of Maryland University College Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Great Learning Experience
Cook (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJuly 16, 2018
I enjoyed my time with University of Maryland. I would recommend this job to anyone whose open for that line of work. Thank You for allowing me to have the opportunity to work there.
Love umd
A student lead mental health initiative here (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJuly 16, 2018
Working with the UMD system is a great honor because of the benefits and the the opportunity they give you to learn and climb the ladder into management positions
IT Department
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Adelphi, MDJuly 13, 2018
* Great working environment
* Learnt a lot
* Learnt critical thinking and problem solving skills
* Great teamwork
* Managed ticketing services based on requirements
Good place to workout
Ellicott Diner - Crew Worker (Former Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJuly 11, 2018
University of Maryland is a good place to work because you have i fun time doing your job no matter what it is you always have fun doing it and you can meet new people
Pros
Free food
Cons
Shot breaks
n/a
Academic Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDJuly 11, 2018
It is stressful, and a toxic environment to work at. Well if you end up in the Office of the Registrar! The managers are all in cahoots; you will be sexually harassed and if you speak out about it you will either be fired or moved to a different department! And reaching out to HR does nothing, they are in cahoots too!
Operations
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Largo, MDJuly 10, 2018
I instruct students on practical approaches to KM and teach the value of knowledge workers to organizations. I facilitate discussions that entail how organizations capture, acquire, and share knowledge to maintain corporate memory and develop collaborative energy. I provide topics that include both formal and informal approaches to knowledge sharing and ways in which organizations use KM techniques to increase their competitive advantage.
Great
Office of the Registrar (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJuly 8, 2018
I had a great time learning everything I needed to to be successful at this organization and my field. I will definitely suggest applying to this position.
I have learned so much in UMB. Learnt to work with animal models; giving SC, IM and IV injections, collecting tissues post euthanasia.
Research Specialist Laboratory (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 7, 2018
Day starts with giving the AM dose to animals. Learnt dosing via SC, IM, IV injections, collecting tissues, staining tissues, histology analysis. Team work is the best part. Picking up 50lb swine was hard, and to listen to their scream and to bear their kicks.
great place to work
Military Education Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 4, 2018
Overall a great place to work. Good environment and management is hard working.
Service oriented position as it is academic and not a lot of room for growth.
Hardest part of the job is accuracy for advising.
Pros
People are great
Cons
pay
Micro-Managed Environment
Advanced Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDJuly 3, 2018
Micro-Managed Environment
The most difficult part about the job was feeling like you were needed when you provided so much support to the team.
Unable to provide team support.
Excellent
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJuly 2, 2018
I was a graduate assistant at the University of Maryland College Park and I had a wonderful experience there! The team was truly supportive and the work was interesting,
Bad Management
Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDJune 29, 2018
Bad Managers reduce the employee’s role to a series of tactics without clear connectivity to the larger mission/vision of the company. Bad Managers don’t align targets (or incentives) between those of the employee and those of the overall organization.

Super- Micro Managers
Low Salary
Upper Management does nothing to assist employees.
Pros
Health Benefits
Cons
Bad management.No growth.Low salary.
Good place research advancement
Faculty Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDJune 28, 2018
It is a good place to be for reasearch and modest salary but better security of job. t is state run and hence stable job. That is not very popular in the states. You can also work on more professional area of interest than just working for making oney
I enjoyed working here in fact I'll go back
Food Aide (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 28, 2018
It was relaxing to me I didn't have a problem at all working here. Nice place to work at the college students was cool. I enjoyed serving them their food and they also enjoyed me.
Great Work Life Balance
Employee (Former Employee) –  Largo, MDJune 26, 2018
Great Work Life Balance.; however, the environment has changed majorly!! There's little room for promotion and some managers can be very self-centered
Pros
Great Work Life Balance
Cons
No room for growth
Fun place to work
Plumber (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 19, 2018
Loved every aspect of the job. Enjoyed learning and enjoyed meeting new people and challenging problems to solve.

The job was somewhat stressful at times but I enjoyed learning new aspects of the job

The hardest part was being on call during the weekends.
Pros
Learned new things
Cons
Being on call
Great University
Archaeologist/Field and Laboratory Director (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 18, 2018
This is one of the best universities to attend!
What I learned in my undergraduate program was reinforced in my Graduate program at the University of Maryland!
Workplace culture
Instructor, African-American Studies Program (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 17, 2018
Stimulating environment to working at an university. Students made fun of my west coast accent. I did not know I had an accent. This was the first time I encountered the privileges accorded to athletes, especially football and basketball players. Failing grades are routinely changed to keep these students eligible to play and to graduate.
Pros
The scholarship at the university leve
Cons
The privileges accorded to athletes
Strong research university
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 14, 2018
Size of the university provides many opportunities for research. Challenging to find your niche but once found provides support. Grad students are supportive to one another, not cut-throat.
Stable Workplace
Asst Director, Human Resources/Staff Relations (Current Employee) –  College Park, MDJune 14, 2018
Challenging Work Environment, Always busy, no two days are alike; concerned work culture, continues to work toward workplace improvement; very different environment than expected (both positive and negative).
Pros
Learning Environment
Cons
Political

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland University College. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

4.2Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss