University of Maryland University College

United States961 reviews

Found 961 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,016 reviews
marylandumduniversitystudentprofessorremissioncampusfaculty

Productive workplace

I learn so much about Cyber Security at UMUC. I am very happy that I had the opportunity to attend this school. My goal was to learn a lot more about the cyber world. I believe that this school gave me the opportunity to achieve my goal.

Perpetually understaffed!

Your experience will widely vary depending on your department. Overall, very backdated culture. if you have a growth mindset you are probably better off looking for advancement elsehwhere.

University of Maryland University College insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction

You'll like it if interested in the subject material

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping others learn about subjects that interested me. A typical day in class included answering questions and motivating students in relation to human evolution. Expect to spend a few hours a week grading subjective reports. Classmates and other TAs are bright and enjoyable to talk to. Professors really care about their subjects.

Pros

Being able to talk and learn about anthropology

Cons

Students occasionally disinterested in curriculum, paid in a single credit

Good start place for family person

UMD has very good work/life balance. The salary is much lower than the industry. There are many good people around, and the UMD system provides good resources for you to use. If you just started a career or a family, it's a good place to stay.

Working with Talented People

It is a campus environment. Many new ideas and talented professors. Flexible working hours and respectful environment. Good health insurance (same as Maryland state government employee) However, pay is not good for contractors.

Good place to start but you can get stuck

Enjoyed my first couple of years but there are many long tenured staff that are hesitant to change and new ideas. Great benefits and flexible schedule depending on the nature of your work. Can be difficult to move up because positions are not available unless there is a departure.

Great place to work while in undergrad

Got a lot of training and feedback necessary for event management. Was my favorite job during my time in undergrad as I got to put skills I already knew to use and learn new ones

Ok place

Not a bad place for someone who just graduated college. The job can be overwhelming at times due to the amount of phone calls you’re taking each day and learning a lot of new material very often.

Isolated work environment.

The work culture became too dominated by online activities, with minimal contact between peers. The management was often isolated from the work force, coming up with new ideas to implement without consideration of the how stressed out the work force was, particularly during the pandemic but not exclusively. The pay was terrible.

Fulfilling work

Work at front desk, not too busy, the supervisors are great, and supportive of personal time as it is a part time job. The time flexibility is great as well

Not bad

Life- work balance is achievable with work from home options. Great colleagues. Most people who work here FT as program faculty and admin are multi-talented, extraordinarily intelligent, interesting and dedicated people. Sometimes initiatives from upper admin to keep up with online education trends are disruptive, not well executed and do not produce the expected results, but overall a satisfying place to work.

Pros

wfh, life-work balance, benefits

Pretty good

I enjoy it, sometimes can get routine. Benefits are great. Pretty good work/life balance. Some areas are better than others but that's too be expected.

This job is a nightmare

Worst job I have ever had.-44% turnover rate-management is horrendous-you are replaceable-you will be micromanaged for no reason-no advancement-only decent pay-good time offDo not work here. I am not kidding, if you do work in admissions/advising you will leave within the first year.

A healthy and sustainable work environment for the staffs, it was great working with them.

The typical days of work is from Monday through Friday, working with the UMD gave me the opportunity to learn the workplace culture of the US.Literally, there is no hardest part of the job as every task requires that one should pay attention to what needs to be done.I enjoyed the fact that the job gave me the chance to be relevant while in the UMD community.

Something you can write on your resume

Well, if you have some free time and not interested in researching, this role is a good coice to you. The work environment is really case by case. Engineer Deapartment is better normally.

education benefits

education benefits are good. every thing else is questionable. you never know what will happen from day to day, information overload. burn out is inevitable. high turnover

Productive place to work and make connections

Productive place to work and make connections. You always have something to work on and it feels important. You feel like you have a sense of purpose.

Working as a grad student

Pretty good university but faculties doesn’t teach in grad level and they expect you to learn everything before joining.Hard to manage a faculty if you start as a teaching assistant

Diverse group of colleagues focused on customer service.

Working at University if Maryland University College was rewarding and challenging. I enjoyed engaging with our non-traditional students, ensuring they had the resources needed to be successful. However, there was also a culture of overworking and micromanaging at all levels. The lack of autonomy fueled a toxic work culture.

Pros

Effective Technology

Cons

Poor upper-management

Enjoyable work in collegiate Athletics.

Opportunities to work various sporting functions & special events that you can choose, short durations of 4-5 hours, proximity to college students, athletes, & families, game time excitement.

Pros

Meeting coaches & athletes, short part-time shifts, variety of other workers in security, press, athletics, food & beverage, facilities.

Cons

Sometimes unruly patrons, hours standing on feet, inclement weather, pay lags behind other employers.

Not recommend

They do not care for part-time instructor. I started teaching before I got enough training. However, this is before pandemic. I hope it is much better situation now.

Pros

Cons

Na

Common questions about University of Maryland University College

Answered by current and former employees at University of Maryland University College

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Maryland University College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
3.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare University of Maryland University College with

Learn about University of Maryland University College in popular locations

Studying at University of Maryland

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews
  • University of Maryland University College