University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health Employee Reviews

Absolutely horrible place to work
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDMay 10, 2019
There is no opportunity for advancements management is absolutely horrendous, there is absolutely no structure , manager solicits inpatients for her own medical marijuana business, manager is spiteful and vindictive. Do yourself a favor and run for the hill!!
Great group but poor management
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDFebruary 11, 2019
The people with the department were wonderful to work with but management was poor and did not appreciate the staff. Workload was heavy but manageable. There was no room for advancement which was a negative aspect.
Pros
Great group of case managers
Cons
poor management, lack of advancement opportunties
Sexist
Leadership Team Member (Former Employee) –  Heart and Vascular InstituteJanuary 30, 2019
I would have liked to retire from there, but leadership at this organization is antiquated and sexist. Team members have reported issues to HR, have tried to seek resolution or help, and the other thing HR cares about is their leadership team. They appear to be clueless to leaders that don't even like the organization or the community for that matter.
Over the past few years, I had become more and more disenchanted. It appears to focus specifically on its nursing division leaving the other ancillary areas to fend for themselves.
Leaders don't see how hard and long hours their managers work and don't really care.
The heart of the organization, the care providers, is what makes this organization thrive.
Pros
nothing
Cons
work/life balance
UM Upper Chesapeake
Transition Nurse Navigator/Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Havre de Grace, MDJanuary 20, 2019
Upper Chesapeake is making great strides to provide great healthcare services to the Harford County Community & to be a great employer. They are working to make improvements each day to provide safe environment for patients, families and staff to get and give the best quality care.
Terrible Management
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJanuary 2, 2019
This organization is only concerned about their pockets, they have absolutely no work-life balance, and go out of their way to terminate employees with disabilities.
Punitive management
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDDecember 4, 2018
Many managers not enough workers. Not valued for experience level. Punitive management that is not supportive of it's nurses.
Continue to throw mistakes in face of employees. Schedules not done in a timely manner. Shifts not covered appropriately. Team members expected and bullied into submission when shifts are not filled although it is because management has not filled all the slots. Empty call slots in schedule or sick call outs are expected to be filled by an overworked staff with no benefit to employee and with out thanks.
Hostile towards nurses and very unsupportive from the top of the management chain to interdepartmental management.
Sexual harassment in the work place is rampant and tolerated
Very physician-centric environment.
Employees are expected to behave in an adult and professional manner but management is not held to the same standards.
Pros
close to home
Cons
management
Really good place to work
Hostess/Dietary (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDNovember 15, 2018
Managers are really understanding and helpful. Coworkers are nice as well and they are more than willing to help with anything. Training is basic but really easy to understand.
Great place
PCT/CNA (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDOctober 23, 2018
It is a great it just is not the unit I want to work on. The co workers are great, patient load is too heavy for me personally. Nothing really bad to say
2West case managers and unit staff RN,aides were awesome
Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDOctober 3, 2018
Upper Chesapeake focuses on the patient and helping the patients. The staff takes pride in giving the best care possible. The liaisons help patients in getting the patient to rehab or home health.
Pros
My co workers and liaisons are dedicated to helping the patients
Cons
Pressure to get patients out.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  MDAugust 23, 2018
I volunteered in Nutritional Services so there wasn't really much to do but it was a very chill place. The employees were nice and the food was decent. Most of the employees were around my age so I felt comfortable around them. I find myself friendly so it wasn't hard to make new friends.
Medical Records Clerk
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDAugust 23, 2018
Pulling patients charts for the doctors. We have 12 doctors in our office. I did have a partner however, she left without saying a word to the manager.
I worked on 3rd shift, sole phlebotomist
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Belair, MD, & Havr de Grace, MDAugust 11, 2018
Not much interaction for duration of employment, which I had to leave due to health issues. Nothing negative to say. I worked at 2 locations on midnight shift.
A very good place to work
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJuly 29, 2018
UCMC is a growing medical center. Under the umbrella of University of Maryland, they have much to offer new grads through retirement or even volunteering afterwards. With a small town feel, but a strong monetary support from UMMS, the hospital is the perfect size to work at.
Pros
Nice, young facility.
Cons
Low call pay, forced weekend shifts, hiring of prn vs full time employees.
Ok place to work
Maintenance mechanic (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MD 21014July 12, 2018
Very stressful their management is very poor no employees so you have to worry asked her out was to fill-in for everybody else management don’t look at giving raises
Pros
Can make good money
Cons
Poor management
Okay place to work
Unit Secretary, PACU (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJuly 4, 2018
This is only 1 of 2 hospitals in the area that is overcrowded. Most of the employees are overworked and understaffed. The workplace morale is sometimes not the best. Management does not treat everyone fairly.
Pros
Close proximity to home/work
Cons
Management does not treat everyone fairly
na
Senior Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDMay 24, 2018
Decent job just a lot of headaches dealing with management. Most of the time its who you know to get in they tend to hire mostly children of current staff.
Great coworkers. They are family!
Tech (Current Employee) –  In the hospitalApril 10, 2018
UCMC does not care about their employees. They do not protect them from abusive managers even after multiple people report them. They let managers bully, target, and harass their employees. The employees have no one to turn too.
Pros
Great group of coworkers that become family!
Cons
Managers who don’t know what they are doing
Good place to work but poor benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDApril 7, 2018
Nice people, good teamwork. I really love working there. However, they are on the cheap side when it comes to benefits. Short term disability if you need it is poor. The max they give you after you use all PTO time and after a 30 day of unpaid time is 400.00 biweekly. That's the max. Not enough. They don't go by 60 some percent like most companies. That's the only con I have about this company. Everything else was fine.
Pros
Nice environment and great people.
Cons
Benefits, Short term disability benefits
Good environment to volunteer in
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Bel Air, MDMarch 23, 2018
I enjoy volunteering there in addition to the chance to obtain a scholarship. Volunteering at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center has allowed me to determine that i want to take a medical track . By volunteering there i am slowly but surely figuring out what career path i want to take
Overall work environment
Clinical Transporter (Current Employee) –  Havre de Grace, MDMarch 21, 2018
I enjoy working for University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake and Harford Memorial. It has started to give me the experience of what I will be dealing with on a day to day basis when I graduate to be a Registered Nurse. The benefits are fantastic and they encourage and reimburse for college classes towards your degree. There is an amplitude of opportunity for advancements. The team members are always friendly and willing to help out when needed.
Pros
Benefits, tuition reimburse
Cons
like all establishments, there is always room for improvement