University of Massachusetts Amherst Employee Reviews

Boring but stable
Technical Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 15, 2018
Working at UMass seems to be very dependent as to which department you're in. My department is on the smaller side and I think I'm the only person under 40 years old. They're all great but there's no coworker friendship.The little work that exists is easy and the benefits are great. If I didn't keep myself busy I could easily go crazy from boredom though.
UMass Grad Student
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 8, 2018
A lot of research opportunities and various Research Assistant/ Teaching Assistant positions that pay well for graduate school and with a lot of benefits.
Excellent
Graduate teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 2, 2018
i enjoyed working here a lot. well paid good benefits fun environment. i was a student while working and was able to balance work and school no problem
Excellent place to learn interdisciplinary science, safe place
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 27, 2018
Excellent place to learn interdisciplinary sciences, collaborative and professional academic environment, a safe place for living, excellent benefits, boring city.
Pros
famous in polymer sciences
Cons
far from big scientific poles
Better than most dining commons
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 16, 2018
Basic prep lists would include 50lbs of onions to be julienned, or 100lbs of potatoes to be quartered. Followed by putting together various recipes for service, putting food into service trays, and restocking line stations during service.
Learned the processes in which large scale operations function in order to meet the demand
As a student expect to be talked down to by some managers while others are more than happy to accommodate any issue
Student workers might not have picked up a knife before, expect many to be unmotivated and slow-paced. The non-student workers vary depending on age and experience level, but for the most part are adept in the dining common.
The hardest thing is the language barrier between staff as many workers come from a variety of countries which do not share a language
The most enjoyable part of the job is mouthing off about the students to fellow employees
Pros
Breaks, which include meals
Cons
No benefits for student workers, and slow advancement prospects
University with various work opportunities for student workers
Student-worker (Former Employee) –  on campusAugust 9, 2018
The university provides various job opportunities for students. However, students are underpaid for the level and quality of work that they do. Students in my position do work that is comparable to administrative positions yet they do not receive pay and benefits that reflect the difficulty of the job that they do.
Pros
develop great personal and professional skills, good work environments
Cons
poor pay compared to work required
good workplace
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 12, 2018
nice colleagues; good town; awesome food; dont need a car to get around; benefits were excellent; relaxed and collaborative environment; would recommend to a friend
Postdoctoral research associate (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 3, 2018
I enjoyed working here. One of the best things is the many workshops and seminars available to grow professionally. UMass Amherst is unionized, which means perhaps a lower salary, but the benefits are very good. My job allowed me a lot of room to shape my work and take responsibility for it.
Pros
Unionized
Decent workplace with up-beat individuals who want everyone to succeed.
Social Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 22, 2018
A typical day at work would be attending meetings, moving equipment from building to building and answering and sending emails. I learned a lot about planning events and how to go about contacting specific vendors and other individuals to make sure it all went smoothly. The management and workplace culture were very easy-going and easy to contact for questions and information. The hardest part of the job was packing up boxes since we were relocating our office. The best part of the job was seeing all the events come together at the end of the summer.
Would not recommend to work here unless in academics
Utility Electrical Controls & Meter Engineer (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 2, 2018
OK place to work, but no opportunities for my position and salary increase.
Management is OK, but very unpredictive work load.
My position requires to respond to calls and work during off time without compensation.
Pros
Good facility and campus
Cons
Policies benefit academic staff, but not others
Loved the academic atmosphere
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 18, 2018
If you can manage to get a full-time position, the benefits are great. I was able to choose contract employment as I was already working full-time elsewhere.
Productive and Difficult
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 12, 2018
A typical day at work included talking to residents and making sure they felt comfortable and safe in the work environment. The management was subpar and the most enjoyable part of the job was that your housing was free.
Welcoming Workplace in Transition - shifting job duties
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 14, 2018
Typical day includes answering email, supplies order, planning meetings and community events, and tracking faculty and department expenses, maybe answering a few phone calls. You'll learn microsoft excel, ferpa, phone skills, COMMUNICATION SKILLS, and a more open perspective.

The job itself might seem redundant, but the environment is so welcoming. Faculty, staff, and students are committed to empowering students, especially students who have been historically disenfranchised by educational institutions. Your coworkers know you by name and treat you as an equal. Only downside is that the department is in transition, so your duties will shift - but that also gives you a chance to learn new skills. Most welcoming, tolerant, and understanding place I have ever worked. Work may seem repetitive but faculty and staff always have something interesting to talk to you about and they are so genuine in their conversations with you.
Pros
Welcoming environment, commitment to student empowerment and diversity, practical skils
Cons
No undergraduate benefits, disorganized communication
What you must know about benefits!
Director of Development (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 27, 2018
All fundraising staff work for the UMass Foundation, not for the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Why is this important to know? The benefits offered by the Foundation are significantly fewer than those provided to University employees. University employees have fabulous benefits from onsite healthcare, to tuition remission to use of all facilities on campus. These benefits are not part of the Foundation employee benefit package. This is not explained during the interview process. I was shocked to learn that tuition remisssion was not available to me as a Foundation employee. This policy was being reviewed when I left my job. It’s possible that the policy has changed. No tuition benefits for family members. The Foundation pays competitive salaries and an annual bonus to fundraisers who meet their goals. Isenberg is the school with the wealthiest graduates which makes fundraising success possible. However, the culture of the Isenberg fundraising staff is cutthroat.
Pros
Highly competitive salaries and bonus structure
Benefits
Nice first lab experience
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 28, 2018
There are so many labs to join on campus and so many different areas of research. There are many opportunities to gain valuable, applicable experience for more competitive internships. My experience has only been positive but I am not paid directly through the lab, only through grants.
Large research university that cares more about faculty and grad programs than undergrads
Undergraduate Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 13, 2018
Compensation and benefits are great, but if you care deeply about helping undergraduates, you may find that they are not a top priority at this university. Great place to work if you can keep your sense of humor within a rigidly hierarchical management structure and understand that academics are in charge, but they are not trained as managers. Because academic departments change department Chair every 3 to six years, management styles and expectations of staff roles may change at the same time, sometimes resulting in conflict.
Pros
Lots of paid vacation, sick leave, personal time, and holidays.
Cons
Poor management in most departments
Lots of meetings and negotiations
Deputy Chief of Party (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 23, 2017
A typical day at work was to meet different stakeholders at the Ministry of Higher education and at the Kabul Education University. What I learned was how to design graduate programs in education and how to implement them. My management style was participatory which was very helpful in post conflict situation. The work place culture was serious and challenging. The hardest part of the job was to deal with to bring changes into a very old system. The most enjoyable part of the job was to enhance self sufficiency after delivering many trainings.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
not enough time to visit my family
Great place to work while being a student
Student Leader/Activity Manager (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 9, 2018
Great place to work while being a student. Faculty helps students get positions to lessen the cost of tuition. They are understanding about the work loads of a student along with working.
Inspiring place to work with great faculty
RESEARCHER (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MANovember 24, 2018
The people are what make UMass Amherst such an enjoyable place to work. Everyone motivates each other to excel in reaching goals. I've learned how to truly make the most of my job and gain valuable experience that will lead me to my next endeavor.
Pros
Sense of community, motivating
Cons
Stress
Spam
UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 16, 2018
Do not include confidential company informatio or personally identifiable information, such as names. Your company review and job title will be shown publicly on Indeed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Massachusetts Amherst. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at University of Massachusetts Amherst.

Powered by Comparably