University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

There is another opportunity for you...SOMEWHERE ELSE
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 6, 2018
This is a highly dysfunctional school and environment in all manners. The school has begun going through physical, financial, and administrative changes that will continue for the next 25 years according to their published plan. Unless you have tenure, you are eligible for the chopping block, including student positions. There is no simpler way to warn you that this school is not meant for anyone to go to, work at, or be associated with until it revives its good name. Until then, the cost of living near this campus will not justify your working there.
Pros
The school is surviving on its good name for now, so you can too.
Cons
Constant construction, no job security, no benefits, and high cost of living near.
Needs improvement
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2018
The work that we do is very meaning and important but there are many issues that need fixing. There are not many opportunities for advancement and very little offered in the way of career development. the people that work there are great but management could use some changes. We also work on grant money, so at times you feel like you don't have job security when money is running out.
Pros
Great work life balance, great co-workers, meaningful work
Cons
Lack od advancement, pay raises, management, no career development
Great students, not so great management
Assistant Area Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAJuly 5, 2018
I worked for UML for about five years (since 2016 in the position above). Overall, I did not enjoy the culture within my department and found it to be rather cliquey. In addition to this, the pay was not very great and I did not receive any full-time benefits as a result of my position type. The only thing that made the position worth it for me was my interaction with the students that I had on a daily basis.
Pros
growth, flexible hours
Cons
culture, management, no work-life balance
Great Place to Work but Too Many Politics
HRIS Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAAugust 1, 2018
In general, very friendly place, a bit behind in technology, great culture, but very difficult to get ahead or grow. Lots of flexibility in my department except working from home; that area is VERY inconsistent, depending on where you work. Benefits are great, but salaries are very low compared to other organizations. LOTS of politics at the upper management level.
A good place to retire from
Associate news editor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 27, 2018
A soul-killing culture completely lacking in imagination with no institutional memory. A fair amount of job security but far too many employee are force to fearfully hunker down in caves of mediocrity.
Pros
salary, benefits, flexibility
Cons
completely lacking in imagination
Pleasant experience at UMass Amherst
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 18, 2018
I had a pleasant experience at UMass AMherst, their compensation package was great, their minimum Post-Doc payment matches NIH standards.
I was working with a Junior faculty at Mechanical Engineering Department. It was a hard experience since he was not clear about his research focus and forced me to work harder but gain minimal at the end, PI ended our contract after a year which put me in a bad situation.
Productive and fun place to work at
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 27, 2018
Excellent company to work for. Good working environment and benefits.

I would recommend this company to all. Management is supportive and understanding. Has an open door policy.
People are great to work with
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 25, 2018
I enjoyed the work and the people there. People work collaboratively but lacking training. People are very friendly for the most part, great employment benefits.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
lack training
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 20, 2018
I worked in the history department first as a clerk for the secretary of the department for a couple years and was promoted to research assistant and given a $4.00 raise from when I began.
I also worked in the CAS center doing like secretarial work there.
Too much
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 24, 2018
Too much work and pay nothing to employees.! All employees are overwhelmed with work and little pay. All while the top dogs lay poor people off and they get salary increases each year!
Benefits
Cons
Salary
Good place to work - good location
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 14, 2018
UMass Boston is the city's only public university and is pleasant place to work. Leadership and managers are supportive and care. Career advancement is possible with years of service.
Pros
Cons
No raises for three years
stressful
Cashier and line server (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 27, 2018
stressful work inviroment. Terrible supervisors.
No benefits. low wages.
to much time without working( all summer without pay)
to much work compare to the salary
good job low pay
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 5, 2018
Good work, fast paced job with good benefits and low pay. I worked with a team of talented actors who portrayed various illnesses to medical students.
Pros
Autonomy, good coworkers
Cons
low pay
Love this job
Database Assistant - eICU (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MA 01605March 27, 2018
I would highy recommend this job as the benefits and salary are outstanding. Working conditions are very nice as well. I would give this hospital 5 stars. A typical day at work involves lots of phone call, management doesn't get involved unless their is a big issue. Workplace culture is wonderful. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction between our office and the physicians and nursing staff taking care of the patients. it is a joint effort.
Pros
Relaxed, friendly atmosphere.
Cons
longer commute than I would like.
Lousy pay
Executive Assistant to Principal Investigator (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 2, 2018
Can't make ends meet, lousy pay, they act like they are doing you a favor when they announce a 1.2% raise after 18 months. On my meager salary, that's a burger at McDonald's. Keep it.
Pros
time off
Cons
Lousy pay
Lowest Salary and benefits , No promotions, stagnating career prospects
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 21, 2018
While all the universities all across USA has made post-doctoral salaries same as NIH scale with yearly increments , UMASSMED School and specifically our department, MCCB is still paying us like in the year 2000. No promotions based on seniority , long post docs (7 years +) and at the end of that PIs are very very unwilling to promote post docs to non tenure track faculty positions. Instead they either try to get rid of them or try to put them in research technician positions. The benefits are also abominable. This is the absolute worst place to work as a post doc in USA.
Pros
more or less permanent jobs
Cons
Lowest Salary and benefits, No promotions, stagnating career prospects
Higher Ed or Higher Ego?
Professional Employee (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAOctober 26, 2018
This institution is full of intellectual depth and rigor with so much to offer for students and employees. The downside is that universities often espouse traditional hierarchies where some employees bad behaviors are coddled rather than challenged. Terrible mangers who lack integrity and have no concept of teamwork. The word "teamwork" and "empathy" is used often, but the reality is some directors and managers talk a good talk, but most are self interested and will step on you to get ahead. Very toxic, unprofessional work environment with rampant favoritism and bullying. The flow of business is often impeded by colleagues with inflated egos who treat their staff and others below them as incompetent to make themselves feel better. Working here felt like an abusive relationship where you nervously await the next attack on you personally and professionally. Managers refuse to collaborate with others and overvalue their skill set. This is a battle you will never win and as most employees say "this place will never change." It will not change as long as the same personality types advance into management roles that they are not qualified or educated to do. If you want a job where you can be happy, not one where you have to fight a battle regularly, this is not the place for you. The only happy people here are the employees who are politically affiliated or favored. Most people stay for the benefits and I think they just give up and buy their time until retirement. It's a shame because I do think that the Chancellor has the University and students best interest at heart,  more... unfortunately ego and hierarchy is not conducive to an inclusive respectful workplace.

Talent is a precious commodity. Apply yours in an environment where it can flourish. It is not at UMass Amherst.
Pros
Benefits, Flexible Schedules, Time Off
Cons
Politics, Management, Toxic Work Environment
its ok
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 28, 2018
Most positions are for students, so they do not pay much. The experience gained has not provided any benefits when applying for jobs upon graduations.
A contractors view
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 26, 2018
My experience as a contractor had been nice. I would like to work here full time but it is very difficult to get a permanent position here. They do offer good benefits and most of the positions here are union positions.
good benefits and a highly dynamic and fun place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAMay 25, 2018
I have been working at The University of Massachusetts Amherst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Umass offers good benefits and a highly dynamic and fun place to work. Allows you to work closely with excited and great people. Easy to find help and guidance.

Cons

Location is not great