University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

TAing is Awful
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 14, 2018
Being a teaching assistant is terrible. I have little to say about this position that is not relatively obvious. UMass is a deeply underfunded institution, and its managers treat the public university like a private one. They treat their employees poorly across the board, and do everything in their power to weaken their employees' unions.
I didn't feel like I was able to do much as an intern and the rest of the team members were quite unorganized
Undergraduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 8, 2018
Since the staff was so unorganized, many days I would come in and do little to nothing of use with my time. It also took over a month for me to receive a paycheck, all the while paying weekly for parking.
Pros
when I was able to participate in research experiments, it was a good learning experience
Cons
I was rarely able to participate in experiments
There is another opportunity for you...SOMEWHERE ELSE
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 6, 2018
This is a highly dysfunctional school and environment in all manners. The school has begun going through physical, financial, and administrative changes that will continue for the next 25 years according to their published plan. Unless you have tenure, you are eligible for the chopping block, including student positions. There is no simpler way to warn you that this school is not meant for anyone to go to, work at, or be associated with until it revives its good name. Until then, the cost of living near this campus will not justify your working there.
Pros
The school is surviving on its good name for now, so you can too.
Cons
Constant construction, no job security, no benefits, and high cost of living near.
N/a
PC/Hardware Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAJuly 31, 2018
I am just writing this because I have to. It was a very easy job if not easier. I did my hw while I made sure that the printers were filled. Easy peezy!
Friendly environment
Assistant in the office of Alumni Relations (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 31, 2018
Love working in the office with amazing people. In the past weeks I've learned a lot from being in an office and being around the people who take their job serious!
Janitor
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 30, 2018
I learn lot in the work field
Be responsible & respect
Teamwork
Management was amazing they were good
Enjoy being there working & best part break time we got to eat good
its ok
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 28, 2018
Most positions are for students, so they do not pay much. The experience gained has not provided any benefits when applying for jobs upon graduations.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 20, 2018
I worked in the history department first as a clerk for the secretary of the department for a couple years and was promoted to research assistant and given a $4.00 raise from when I began.
I also worked in the CAS center doing like secretarial work there.
Needs improvement
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 19, 2018
The work that we do is very meaning and important but there are many issues that need fixing. There are not many opportunities for advancement and very little offered in the way of career development. the people that work there are great but management could use some changes. We also work on grant money, so at times you feel like you don't have job security when money is running out.
Pros
Great work life balance, great co-workers, meaningful work
Cons
Lack od advancement, pay raises, management, no career development
Pleasant experience at UMass Amherst
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 18, 2018
I had a pleasant experience at UMass AMherst, their compensation package was great, their minimum Post-Doc payment matches NIH standards.
I was working with a Junior faculty at Mechanical Engineering Department. It was a hard experience since he was not clear about his research focus and forced me to work harder but gain minimal at the end, PI ended our contract after a year which put me in a bad situation.
friendly workplace atmosphere
Assistant to Procurement Card Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 16, 2018
A very friendly workplace culture. I learned the importance of team work to accomplish the initiatives of any organization. Beside, creating a shared vision among employees is the best approach to tackle difficulties of any kind of jobs.
Fun place to work
Manager/Client Support - PaaS (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 15, 2018
Fun place to work with and great people. Work life balance is satisfied, technology will be introduced at the begining of each production that comes under the sun.
Good place to work - good location
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 14, 2018
UMass Boston is the city's only public university and is pleasant place to work. Leadership and managers are supportive and care. Career advancement is possible with years of service.
Pros
Cons
No raises for three years
quiet friendly office
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 10, 2018
very friendly people, have to learn names fast. sometimes odd jobs. have to be efficient and quick with tasks, and be able to work well with others. preferably have your license as well.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
squished
Workday
Operations Staff (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJuly 8, 2018
My typical day usually started after my classes. I would be given my tasks for the day and then i was responsible for completing it during my shift. I usually worked at night so I was responsible for making sure everything was cleaned and in order for the following day. My managers were very nice and they were considerate of the workers. The workplace consisted of many students many of us amongst the same age group so we got along pretty well.
Challenging and interesting educational work.
Methods Instructor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 5, 2018
Working with pre-service (student) teachers and new (one to three years) teachers is rewarding, challenging and important. Going into different schools was a learning experience and informed the pedagogical support I provided.
Pros
Diverse student body and staff.
Cons
Parking!
Great students, not so great management
Assistant Area Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAJuly 5, 2018
I worked for UML for about five years (since 2016 in the position above). Overall, I did not enjoy the culture within my department and found it to be rather cliquey. In addition to this, the pay was not very great and I did not receive any full-time benefits as a result of my position type. The only thing that made the position worth it for me was my interaction with the students that I had on a daily basis.
Pros
growth, flexible hours
Cons
culture, management, no work-life balance
Challenging with great opportunity
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 5, 2018
The University of Massachusetts Boston is a great place to work and has great potential to continue to expand its reach in the region, nationally and internationally.
It was a work-study job
Office of Professor Sharma (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJuly 3, 2018
I worked 10 hours per week outside of class time. The work hours were very flexible, which made a much easier for me to balance between work and school. From this job, I gained time management skills and skills necessary to work with excel. I also enjoyed discussing about work details with my manager.
Lousy pay
Executive Assistant to Principal Investigator (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 2, 2018
Can't make ends meet, lousy pay, they act like they are doing you a favor when they announce a 1.2% raise after 18 months. On my meager salary, that's a burger at McDonald's. Keep it.
Pros
time off
Cons
Lousy pay