University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

fun environment and professional
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAOctober 19, 2018
this is a great place to learn your basic abilities where it would help you to gain the needed experience to advance to the work environment, in a professional and social manner where it is working on developing you as a person in multiple scopes.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
breaks
Assistant Director to Facilities at UMD
Assistant Director Facilities & Physical Plant (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAOctober 13, 2018
I worked 15 year at UMD and I built many bridges to make my job go well. At UMD the connections with other department allows a person to complete the tasks at hand.

UMD is hard place to work with l lack of funds and short on staff.

Middle Management like me was always left to work by oneself and held accountable for all actions good or bad ones.

I loved the people at UMD but didn't like the rumor mill on campus at all.
Pros
the people that work there
Cons
rumor mill bs was the worst
nice place to work - learned much nursing care - assessments, planning , etc for a better nursing experience.
Staff Nurse - Charge nurse (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 2, 2018
Great place to start - prepared very very well to move further in my career - got tons of experience . Had a great mentor as I was a very young nurse at the time and they really took the mission of teaching to a high level which helped me to become motivated and energized to move further in my career and create an energy to pursue a higher education
Good workplace, helpful staff and departments
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAOctober 1, 2018
I specifically worked with the mathematical sciences department. I found my job as graduate teaching assistant to be about what I expected. Being a TA isn't glamorous, but I enjoyed working with the math department. Overall the group was friendly, professional, and they very clearly were oriented in the same direction with the same goals in mind.
A good place to retire from
Associate news editor (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 27, 2018
A soul-killing culture completely lacking in imagination with no institutional memory. A fair amount of job security but far too many employee are force to fearfully hunker down in caves of mediocrity.
Pros
salary, benefits, flexibility
Cons
completely lacking in imagination
stressful
Cashier and line server (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 27, 2018
stressful work inviroment. Terrible supervisors.
No benefits. low wages.
to much time without working( all summer without pay)
to much work compare to the salary
Summary
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 24, 2018
UMASS is a work place with limited opportunities for growth with in each department. However when looking outside there several to change and learn new things about the company. .
Too much
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 24, 2018
Too much work and pay nothing to employees.! All employees are overwhelmed with work and little pay. All while the top dogs lay poor people off and they get salary increases each year!
Benefits
Cons
Salary
My first job
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 24, 2018
Studied in the UMASS Boston in Finance and Economics had provided me an unique opportunity in my logical-thinking ability and analytical skills. In addition, through the internship experience in the United States, I was trained with excellent communication and coordination skills and teamwork.
great graduate school
Research Assistant, Auerbach (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MASeptember 18, 2018
It's in a good and quiet location and people are nice to hang out with. Lots of help and assistants are provided if needed. Overall, it's a pleasure work here.
Just a horrible place to work.
Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MASeptember 7, 2018
The facilities department management is not trained nor education nor experienced for their roles within the organization. They got the jobs based on who they knew not what they know.
Good work place
Grant Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 7, 2018
very busy. I was responsible for the Department of Nursing and Exercise Health grants and projects. This included all staff and student projects related to nursing and exercise health.
Pros
not applicable
Cons
not applicable
Great organization to work for
Clinical Nurse Educator (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 7, 2018
The University of Massachusetts is an outstanding organization. Ther is a strong mission to educate healthcare providers, conduct research and provide care to the community.
Pros
Many oportunities for career advancement
good job low pay
Education Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MASeptember 5, 2018
Good work, fast paced job with good benefits and low pay. I worked with a team of talented actors who portrayed various illnesses to medical students.
Pros
Autonomy, good coworkers
Cons
low pay
fun
Administrative Assistant/Registrar (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 30, 2018
I find that I work best in an environment that is empowering and positive, no matter of the work is that I’m doing. I enjoy working as a team player.
Pros
hour for lunch
Work Study program amazing
Work Study- Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAAugust 24, 2018
Doing work study first year can be stressful but staff manages to make it good. Always helpful, good experience workable hours, great variety of experience.
Pros
experiences, hours
ok
Professional Staff (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 23, 2018
just fine. I'm only writing this because there's a 150 character minimum. How much more can be said? I guess fifty more characters are absolutely necessary.
TAing is Awful
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAAugust 14, 2018
Being a teaching assistant is terrible. I have little to say about this position that is not relatively obvious. UMass is a deeply underfunded institution, and its managers treat the public university like a private one. They treat their employees poorly across the board, and do everything in their power to weaken their employees' unions.
I didn't feel like I was able to do much as an intern and the rest of the team members were quite unorganized
Undergraduate Intern (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 8, 2018
Since the staff was so unorganized, many days I would come in and do little to nothing of use with my time. It also took over a month for me to receive a paycheck, all the while paying weekly for parking.
Pros
when I was able to participate in research experiments, it was a good learning experience
Cons
I was rarely able to participate in experiments
There is another opportunity for you...SOMEWHERE ELSE
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 6, 2018
This is a highly dysfunctional school and environment in all manners. The school has begun going through physical, financial, and administrative changes that will continue for the next 25 years according to their published plan. Unless you have tenure, you are eligible for the chopping block, including student positions. There is no simpler way to warn you that this school is not meant for anyone to go to, work at, or be associated with until it revives its good name. Until then, the cost of living near this campus will not justify your working there.
Pros
The school is surviving on its good name for now, so you can too.
Cons
Constant construction, no job security, no benefits, and high cost of living near.