University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
Temporary work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 12, 2018
Work relies on grants that don't always come through. Great place to work if you don't have a family dependent on you and can bounce around. Liked the work but grants didn't come through and everyone had to find another job.
Pros
Fun learning environment
Cons
Lack of stability
Employee Growth
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, MAApril 23, 2018
I have had the opportunity to grow professionally within the University of Massachusetts system. The most challenging aspect of my position is working across a multi-campus system while implementing change.
Great place to do science
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 19, 2018
Pressure free environment.
A lot of great science.
Great retirement plans (no contribution match on voluntary plans, but can participate in 2 voluntary plans with separate limits each). There is a mandatory third state plan in lieu of Social Security.
Very limited career development.
Low salary.
A fun place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAApril 19, 2018
Fun place to work. I really enjoyed the staff and working with the students. The university continues to expand and the future is looking very bright. Excited to see the university grow
Pros
an expanding supportive environment
Cons
no upward mobility
Friendly Work Environment
Faculty/Staff (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAApril 17, 2018
Busy work pace, Good collaborative team work, Long hours, not enough staff. Too far for my daily drive, Great for bad weather as they discounted rooms for me and my co-workers to sleep in if the weather did not provide for a safe drive back home.
jumpstart
JUMPSTART CORP MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Boston Neck, MAApril 17, 2018
if you like children then you'll like this job. all you do is read to the kids and play with them. every opportunity is a teaching moment and you''' never be bored.
Productive workplace, Smart management
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MAApril 16, 2018
Just being a volunteer for one day I can't really give an accurate review. The day I volunteered was from my point of view a little disorganized. At the end of the day the work did get done correctly and nothing went wrong for the large event that I volunteered at.
Friendly environment
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 13, 2018
I worked in a microbiology lab. Though I am not a microbiologist myself, it was still engaging work and I felt like I was a part of furthering scientific discovery.
Good place to work while at school
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAApril 5, 2018
The school gives plenty of good work opportunities to students while they also working towards earning a degree. I learned a lot that I could use in future positons in industry.
Part-time student worker
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAApril 4, 2018
Enjoyable experience to connect with students and faculties on campus. It was great opportunity to build network for professional career development path.
A small univerisity with few of good research programs
Teaching & Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAApril 3, 2018
I studied and worked as a teaching and research assistant at the south campus of Umass Lowell which is nothing compare to the North campus. The clinical lab and nutrition department I worded at was more like a teaching school instead of a research lab.
Excellent place to work and learn!
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 28, 2018
Lot's of opportunity to lean and grow into better positions. There for several years and held 3 positions in management in different departments. Layed off due to state wide cutbacks.
Pros
Opportunity to grow, excellent colleagues
Cons
Subject to state budget issues
Love this job
Database Assistant - eICU (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MA 01605March 27, 2018
I would highy recommend this job as the benefits and salary are outstanding. Working conditions are very nice as well. I would give this hospital 5 stars. A typical day at work involves lots of phone call, management doesn't get involved unless their is a big issue. Workplace culture is wonderful. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction between our office and the physicians and nursing staff taking care of the patients. it is a joint effort.
Pros
Relaxed, friendly atmosphere.
Cons
longer commute than I would like.
Fun place
STUDENT MANAGED FUND (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 25, 2018
Student run asset management fund that is limited to long positions in domestic equities and U.S. Treasury bonds.
● Made decisions around capital allocation of UMass Boston’s endowment
● Responsible for managing the financial sector stock holdings
● Perform a Macroeconomic Analysis of the market to assess which sectors/industries we want to further research
● Analyze and discuss investment opportunities
● Pitch securities to class based on research and financial analysis of company
● Utilize DCF, CAPM, APV valuations on potential investments
● Assist in the management of a portfolio exceeding $80,000 in value
Great
Executive Assistant to Vice Chancellor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 16, 2018
Great place to work! The new management team has now moved UMB on a successful path for the future. I look forward to seeing the fruit of their labor!
Pros
Great new management team
Cons
Parking/construction
Productive environment
Research volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAMarch 16, 2018
Fun and Productive work environment within the field of research and helpful colleagues. Volunteering experience was fruitful and helped to gain more hands-on experience in the field of biomedical engineering.
Serious but fun place to work
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 14, 2018
You are required to work a minimum of 15 hours a week. The job is also requires independence since most of the time you will be alone on the bus. The culture is great.
work
Catering Server (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 14, 2018
Same as with the staffing agency - I would go to work get things ready for an event - set it serve food and drinks then take it down. it is a pretty simple job
Pros
free lunch
Cons
cranky co workers
Overall, a so-so place
Director of Housing and Associate Dean of Students (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 9, 2018
UMB is a large place, so there are offices that are great to work for and offices that are not. Overall campus leadership is not top notch, there are a lot of "turf wars," antiquated administrative processes, etc. HR in particular is way too old school - almost every time you conduct a process with them they lose a form or do something incorrectly - literally myself and everyone in my office has this experience with them, so if you work with them keep copies of everything.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Poor overall leadership
Best Experience of My Life
Research Assistant Intern (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 9, 2018
Such an incredible environment to learn and expand your knowledge on the field of medicinal/clinical research. Everyone here is willing to help you, whether through collaborations or simply to assist in your own project.