University of Massachusetts Employee Reviews

Educational experience
Undergraduate intern (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 19, 2019
I loved being there, I learned so much and having the chance for a hands-on experience is rare within the biology field as a student so I am grateful for that and everything they taught me.
Pros
Education
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MAMarch 14, 2019
Worked for many years here and still love it! lots of room for advancement and many areas to work. highly recommend it for someone looking to stay until they retire.
great place to work
Head Women's Soccer Coach (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAMarch 1, 2019
great place to work. Staff is great, interview process was long and with a group but it was more conversational. Staff is always willing to help with anything.
Good Team, high sales
Sodexo - Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 18, 2019
When the residential hall was added it became an even busier place , on it's way to being a 12 million a year account. Review of franchise practice, and strong organizational skills a must
Pros
great location
Cons
spread out across 1/2 mile campus
day to day
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 11, 2019
Provide advanced level of administrative, financial and clerical assistance for researchers

Aid in special projects including preparation of documents, contracts, Inter-campus agreements, reports, presentations, correspondence, meetings, and coordinating educational conference workshops

Communication of confidential information with senior level management

Provide administrative support for selected educational programs in the Radiology Research Lab and the International Education Program

Prepare travel reimbursement and process contracts, sort file and reallocated monthly grant reports

Track grant-related fiscal information electronically, providing monthly reports of expenses and assisting in financial report preparation to meet grant requirements

Prepare NIH grant applications, purchase orders, payment vouchers, procard reallocations and other fiscal paperwork as needed

Work with the administrator, principal investigators, and staff to resolve problems to optimize the use of funds as required invoice and deposit checks to any income and service fund accounts

Prepare detailed data for financial reports and budgets for sub contracts, and research funds

Plan small events for department including, room reservations, catering and audio-visual

Provide assistance for researchers of all pre-award administration for the submission of federal and non-federal grants and contracts

Inform the administrator of variances and closures of grants

Payroll Entry
Order all office Supplies
Maintain all office equipment and service contracts
Perform other
  more... tasks as required  less
Place with potential with management changes
Director (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAFebruary 7, 2019
Salaried employees tend to work more than 7.5 hours per week and based upon union are not compensated by pay but compensatory time. I have had the opportunity to grow and learn in my current position, however, management positions are very rarely earned by internal, qualified employees. The most difficult part of the job was the inability to have a voice in decision making that could negatively impact job performance.

The departmental management/administration was very divisive and created a large amount of resentment among colleagues creating an unhealthy work environment.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Unqualified and unprofessional departmental administrators
State college
Purchasing / Finance Administration (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, MAJanuary 21, 2019
The position I currently have is a long term temp. The department I'm in does not foresee a permanent position in the near future. Great people to work with! Hoping to get hired in another department for long term employment.
Professor is so nice
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2019
Professor guide everything what I have to do for the course I was working there. And he also provided so many tools and stuff that help my working much easier.
Good Job Experience
Project Director, MassHealth Quality Office (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 9, 2019
Matrix work environment, many competing projects and deadlines, lots of on the job learning, learned a lot about quality, regulations, and contract management
A cool & different cultures enviroment
Physical Plant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 8, 2019
They have a lot of great things to offer students & employer. There are many opportunities on moving to a different position, that could be a different schedule or another job in the same area for the same benefits and all.
Pros
Free lunches & clases
Cons
2 breaks of 15 minutes & 1 half hour break
Supportive Working Environment
Chief Executive Officer of Graduate Student Senate (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MAJanuary 4, 2019
The working hours are flexible and workplace culture is very friendly. Great working environment for personal development and growth. The hardest part of the job is too many committee meetings to be attended.
Tour Guide
Admissions Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  North Dartmouth, MADecember 30, 2018
•Lead group tours of up to 60 people and guide students interested in the university with campus tours and personal experience.
•Helps ambassadors welcome prospective students to UMass Dartmouth’s campus.
•Maintain data to present and market accurate information.
Unprofessional
Facilities Worker (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 28, 2018
I was initially excited to obtain my job but, after analyzing the the management dynamics my feelings were changed. The facility is being run into the ground by select self servient individuals with a don't care attitude.
Pros
It is close to home
Cons
Management Heavy!!!!
Great working experience with friendly staff
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 28, 2018
I am a TA within the Resource Economics department of the University of Massachusetts Amherst. I enjoy my job; I interact with professors, other TAs, and students.
Colleagial working environment
Teacher Consultant. (Current Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 27, 2018
A casual working environment. Self-directed work. Strategies for effective delivery presentation models. Collegial environment. A great place to meet new educators to our network of educators in the Pioneer Valley.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 27, 2018
It's rewarding to have a direct impact on the quality of patient care, by helping physicians, allied health professionals, and researchers to stay up to date of new developments in their specialty areas.
Pros
being part of a team who is the backbone of the healthcare professionals
Cons
no being acknowledge for out important role
I was a resident assistant
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, MADecember 26, 2018
I cannot accurately comment on this as I was a undergrad at the school when I worked as a Resident Assistant. As an RA it was a great place to work. Thank you
Payroll Processor (Former Employee) –  New Bedford, MADecember 23, 2018
Inputting the data in the systems, was very interesting. It is a very detailed job, you have to pay attention to details. Also input the hours and data for students payroll, for work study program.
I love my job but...
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MADecember 17, 2018
I love Customer Service but I would prefer more hours and consideration when decisions are made that involve me and my schedule I have learned so much
Pros
Great benefits, flexibility
Cons
I only work 30 hours a week.
Small office, not much to do
Project Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MADecember 14, 2018
Working at the Donahue Institute was nice. Everyone was friendly and always said hello, but the office was so small and the role I was in would lack consistent work to do on many occasions.