University of Miami Employee Reviews

An alright place to work if you don't want to advance
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLSeptember 20, 2018
Not a bad place to work for. Not the type of place you could grow unless you know someone. No intensives given for a job well done in fact they much take away things so save money.
Pros
Good insurance
Cons
Not a place for advancement
great place
Lead Central Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLSeptember 18, 2018
great place to work as far as the environment and people. great benefits and pleasant co-workers. people there always had a smile on there faces no matter what.
The last four years at The University of Miami have been full of knowledge, great leadership, and growth.
PATIENT ACCESS REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  5555 Ponce De leon Blvd Coral Gables, Fl 33146September 15, 2018
In the last almost five years i have been working at The University of Miami, i have gained knowledge in such diverse areas from customer service to reading medical records, and assisting to surgical administrative assistance's. From day one at this company i was trained for numerous departments in different areas of the health system. I have been trained to complete patient clinical intake forms, send and receive all types of medical records and completing all HIPPA forms necessary for release, related medical terms, pharmaceutical terms, and handling all types of testing and imaging orders. i have spent the last year working side by side in the clinical areas with the clinical staff and administrative staff, assisting with medical records, scheduling,overbooking, and canceling VIP patients.
Pros
gained a wide range of knowledge in a clinical setting
Cons
N/a
More a name brand than anything
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 13, 2018
Great place to work although not as organized as one would come to think. After working for them for quite some time, ive come to realize that UM is simply a name and does not live up to the hype that comes with it. It is a great place to get experience and learn about research and about the laboratory position. You will definitely get good experience that will help you grow and get better at your job and other jobs in the long run.
Pros
Flexible schedule (sometimes), some very good people
Cons
Incredibly stressful, very blameful for mistakes made, not organized, rude staff
See Below
EXECUTIVE SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 9, 2018
Working at the University was a challenge but nice. I had a chance to meet and greet different cultures and learn from them as well as they learn from them. It would have been a great place career wise but I was only there on a temp basis.
Sports
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 31, 2018
I worked in the cafeteria i had the chance to see college and professional athlete, the students were very fun to work with, we have celebrities visit cafeteria
Pros
free game tickets
Cons
discounts on campus gym
very bias
Clinical Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 28, 2018
University of Miami is very prestigious. If you are not of a certain skin tone or speak Spanish their is no luck for you at the university. It is very hard to move up.
University of Miami is a great place to work and continue your education.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 21, 2018
A typical day would be a busy day, but enjoyable. The people you interact with over the phone were usually pleasant and you would get to know them the more you communicated with them. And some of the staff were really cool when you got to know them. I learn quite a bit at UM over the last thirty seven years. They were like part of your family. We use to have family picnics , but no longer have them. Those were some good days. We have family Marlins day, discount ticket for season ticket holders and the games are usually fun to attend. You get free t-shirts for volunteering and free lunch.UM have long service breakfast and you get to choose nice gifts based on how long you have work for the company.
Pros
sometimes you did get a free lunch, every now and than.
Cons
Breaks were the norm.
I loved my Job, but the managemen/supervisors was unprofessional, many clicks and favoritism
Paged Doctor to Doctor for nurses and patients (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 21, 2018
You have to love what you do, it doesn't matter what job you are place at. Most people works for a paycheck, but when you have a heart for others beside selfness, raises and bonuses will come automatic. No matter what Job God place me on I love it, and worked with compassion and excellent. YOU MUST HAVE A HEART FOR OTHERS.
Pros
It's would be a better enviroment if changes were made for the best of it's patients
Cons
Managment and employees are fear of changes to help better the company and for the patients
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Plantation, FLAugust 18, 2018
I loved working for the University Of Miami. Great work environment, great colleagues and physicians and I absolutely loved my nursing Manager. I loved the patients. Most of them, you got to know as they were"frequent flyers". I learned so much as there were many different specialty clinics. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with and positively impacting others through my nursing work. The hardest part of my job was hearing bad news of our oncology patients who did not survive.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Would like to see more satellite locations
Customer Service
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 16, 2018
Management is biased as the entire company is made up of relatives and friends. You do not feel as if you are a valued worker and are often taken advantage of.
Productive chaos
Payroll Security Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 15, 2018
I worked within the housing department of UM and it truly did open my eyes to the corporate structure. As a student employee, I was offered the chance to take on additional responsibilities to stand out, but at the cost of essentially living for the job. I am glad to say that the program is slowly improving under new management, but there remains some questionable work practices and the communication barrier between departments is astonishing. With that said, this job offers a lot of personal and professional development and the staff is one of the most welcoming and inclusive that I have ever been a part of.
Pros
great staff, great start to leadership and coordinating projects
Cons
Bad work/life balance, must be a UM student to apply, no job security, policies change often and quickly.
Excellent Workplace
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 14, 2018
Very Positive work culture! The University genuinely cares for their employees and like to Hire from within so the potential for growth is there. The medical campus is a teaching hospital and you get to interact with individuals from all around the world!
Fun place to study and work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 13, 2018
I enjoyed working as a GTA at the University of Miami. The work is easy enough and allows you to really focus on your studies. The stipend is good for a single student but hard to live on with a family.
Great work environment
Part-time Employee - HIM Technician (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 13, 2018
The UM family is a very relaxed place to work. The employees and employers are very kind and do their best to assist you. Depending on the position there may or may not be room for growth
Learning Experience
Associate Director of Compliance (Former Employee) –  Coral Gables, FLAugust 8, 2018
Very good learning experience. Fun environment. Didn't feel like I could move up in my department. Most enjoyable part was working with the student-athletes.
Love the job
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 7, 2018
love the job and I wanted to stay. I applied for full time employment but I was not hired. Manager were rude and cold. The patients were nice and loving people.
Pros
Potential for advancement
Cons
Poor management
Great school ok hospital
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 1, 2018
UM is very prestigious. The school is fantastic and thriving. The hospital and medical side is very hard to work for. They mean well but doctors and poor money management have big impacts on employee pay.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
cut throat, poor management
It wasn't bad
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 30, 2018
It wasnt bad. It was a lot of work but i had a really good manager. He was patient and conscious of me as a human being. We should have gotten paid more but thats with every job.
Very Good benefits but very stressful
Director (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJuly 28, 2018
Very good benefits, but constant leadership changes, make for a very stressful work environment.Established mission and values which are communicated to the employees often.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Miami. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss