University of Minnesota

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility

Great environment and people. Many opportunities available and a great campus to work on. The management has been changing a lot which sometimes makes things a bit disorganized. The people are great and try their best to overcome these new barriers or obstacles.

Pros

Close to the city, many things to do.

Cons

Low pay

Flexible work time

`Overall it's OK. Some of my colleagues are not very professional at work. Boss is not that pushy but also not that supportive for your career development.

I'm a PhD student in college of science and engineering. Overall my experience has been good.

1. The school was very welcoming to international students2. Multicultural environment3. Great area to live in with lots of things to do throughout the year

Exploitative place to be a Teaching Assistant

Being a Graduate Teaching Assistant at the University of Minnesota is bad. There is not a lot of training or mentoring. You will likely work for the same course over and over. The faculty do not care if your teaching Assistant duties interfere with your graduate degree program.

Pros

Usually flexible schedule.

Cons

Low pay, No job security from semester to semester, You may learn shortly before the semester starts if you have a job.

Was fine for what it was.

It was fine I guess, pay bad for student. That is about all I have to say about that. Location was very convenient for student obviously. Good starting job.

Pros

Flexible work hours

Cons

Kinda boring sometimes, not anyone else around. Just testing stuff.

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Free college

I worked with a lot of great people and clients, but there was zero room for advancement. There were a lot of nights and weekends, and during my entire 7 years of employment, I never saw a single pay raise.

Pros

Annual Conferences

Cons

Working nights and weekends

Overall good place to work

The culture and benefits are great. Salary generally lags the marketplace, but that is not unusual in an academic environment. Lots of intelligent people to work with.

Good job but people are more concerned about their own career advancement than helping out others.

U of MN provides steady work and good benefits but management is more concerned about their own career advancement than helping out their subordinates. They will take credit for your work and won't help you out to advance your own career.

Pros

Good befits

Cons

Self serving management

Very productive and fun a lot of work and customer servicing

I really loved this place and my co workers but it was just time for me to move on if you don’t have a passion for cooking then I suggest not working here

Pros

Free food, excellent benefits

Cons

The breaks Short staff but they are working on that

The thing I enjoyed most was working with patients to help them every day.

I worked there for yearsThis is the worst place to work, there is no team work and co-workers are miserable and they make you unhappy day after day of negativity.The physicians don’t appreciate anything you do for them.

Cons

Work culture depends on job but overall positive experience

very flexible with class schedules, good job for students. One downside would be the wage which was a lot lower than the minimum wage for the city, but overall an easy way to earn income when you need flexibility.

Student Jobs can be limiting

Good atmosphere for my student job, but I felt that I was underpaid for what I did. Was somewhat monotonous as well, with very little variation from day to day.

Very hit or miss

The work culture you will encounter is highly dependent on the lab you enter. HR and administration do little to protect the employees, and you have little leverage to advocate for appropriate working hours

Pros

flexible work hours, casual work environment

Cons

overtime is not compensated

Great Benefits and security, experience varies depending on position/dept

The university is a large employer and who your direct manager or boss is will most affect/determine your satisfaction. Your work load and department culture could be crushing and stressful or it could be very manageable and enjoyable, again it just depends on the position and department. Overall the university is a great place to work, especially once you find the right area for you. Just don't expect quite the same pay as you would in a comparable non-governmental position. The University does great things from medical research to educating future generations, so I feel there is an intrinsic value to working there and being a part of that mission.

Pros

Benefits, security, flexibility

Cons

some workloads, some supervisors

Good experience

The experience depends on what supervisor you get. But the general benefit is good for graduate students, including but not limited to tuition benefits, insurance, and the hourly wage is fair for me.

Incompetent Management

I worked in research and it was appalling to see the level of incompetence and inefficiency going on in research. The study I was on was in a perpetual state of passive aggressiveness and secrecy. Very odd work setting. I have had friends who have enjoyed other studies, but it depends on which one you get on.

Nice place to work with very good research facility.

A good place to work, but no 401 k plan for postdoctoral associates, which almost all small institutions also have. The working environment depends upon your supervisor and department, but the university has a very good research facility.

Pros

Good if you like snow !

Cons

Parking too expensive !

Great Benefits

Stayed as long as I did for the benefits. My job kept getting things added to it with no extra pay because the grant couldn't afford it. If you're told the job is fast-paced that means you'll be working unpaid overtime.

Pros

Benefits, Nice co-workers

Cons

Work load, stress

Fun and Supportive environment

It is quite an encouraging and friendly environment with lots of people to turn to when I need help. Everyone is inclusive and welcoming and wants you to succeed.

Pros

Flexibility, supportive and diverse environment

Cons

Poor Pay

Custodian at university of Minnesota

Good benefits. The raises from contracts could be better. Great place to work. Wonderful community and the customers are great to work for. Sometimes overtime is offered but not frequently.

Pros

Union job, free to do your work without someone looking over your shoulder.

Cons

Unpaid lunch break. Raises are not much once you get to top pay scale.

Parking attendant is a good choice if you want a job that pays you while studying

All the part-time jobs I held the 4 years I was there, except being a TA allowed me time to study/do homework while working. Being a parking attendant was great, there's variety in the shifts, from waking up early to fill 6 am shifts to filling shifts in the weekends during fall season where there are football matches. Shift times are flexible too, usually all times of day.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2

Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss