University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Competitive and harsh environment with hardworking students and faculty
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 15, 2018
I spent one year here as a research assistant. However, I didn't have a nice supervisor or boss. He pushes people crazily. He has unrealistic expectation on his students. The climate in Minneapolis is not very friendly with very long and cold winter. Summer here is hot while spring and autumn are really short.
Pros
Competitive environment with hard working students and faculty
Cons
Harsh weather and harsh people
Landscaping Job
Landcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 15, 2018
Laid back job working outdoors mowing lawns and other various projects. Reasonable management and very flexible hours. Work is slow many days and can be boring.
Excellent place to work
Attending Physician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 14, 2018
UMMCH is an excellent place to work. I experienced a supportive work environment with many opportunities to show my talents and expand my abilities. Process improvement focused on system weakness and prevention of continued risk; as opposed to blame and accusation. There exists a genuine atmosphere of collegiality, service to academics, and community.
Pros
academic environment, support, location
Cons
winters are hard.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 12, 2018
Working as an undergraduate research assistant was one of the best decisions I've ever made. The faculty are wonderful teachers. The hands on, independent learning is irreplaceable and incredibly beneficial to any science major.
Would not recommend
Patient Concierge (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2018
The new CSC is a beautiful facility, but would not recommend working there. The place is non stop busy & poorly managed. The clinics are very cramped and staff and patients are giving tracker badges.
na
Teaching and Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 9, 2018
Again you are asking me to rate a company which I had very little contact with. I was a student who received salary. I had zero interaction with this entity.
excellent place to work
Economic Development Consultant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 8, 2018
- relaxed and collaborative environment.
- great benefits that make up for the lower salaries.
- difficult to move to different positions in the organization
Wonderful
Peer Educator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2018
this was a wonderful experience in which I completely enjoy and would love to have this opportunity again. Great development for young women . Snd a huge opportunity to learn
A pretty good place to be a graduate student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 4, 2018
I love having access to the amazing library collections and interdisciplinary research communities, even if it is sometimes overwhelming as a humanities student at a large STEM-focused research institution.
Very flexible and school friendly enviroment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 29, 2017
I worked as a research assistant in the hydrogeochemistry lab at the U of MN and my work environment was great. The hours were very flexible so I didn't have to sacrifice my schoolwork.
Don't do it
Executive Accounts Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 27, 2017
Working here is not worth it. They may pay well but the stress, infighting and back stabbing is insane. Its like working with children. No one is professional and management is terrible. They have culture that welcomes bullying of staff and they let their managers get away with it. Save yourself the bleeding ulcer.
Cool Place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  MinneapolisDecember 27, 2017
I loved working at the University of Minnesota. My PI was very approachable and always helped when he could. The experiences I had taught me a great deal about research and lab work.
Steady paced job with a good community
Minneapolis - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 24, 2017
The U of M bookstore is a good job to hold for fulltime/part-time students. The hours are flexible and the workload is steady but simple task. During the non rush period (after the start of the semester) work is more slow paced with potential opportunities to work on school work. The managers are very nice and helpful.
Pros
Friendly management, easy tasks and responsibilities, store discount
Cons
limited hours, low pay, no benefits other than store discount
Temporary job
Consultant (Former Employee) –  MinnesotaDecember 24, 2017
I was a contractor and does not find the environment very professional
full time employees have great flexibility
I did work through a vendor and can not comment.
Great Experience
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Cedar, MNDecember 20, 2017
..........Highly suggest. Great place to work. Supervision was great, relaxed yet productive work environment. Location of property was beautiful.....
Great Universit
Wide Receiver (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 20, 2017
The University of Minnesota is an excellent school, I wasn't a faculty member I was an athlete, so I don't have anything for you here this is a waste of my time.
Did research for a professor there.
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 13, 2017
Fun place to be at, over all, I did not get paid, but the connections I was able to make were beyond anything I had ever imagined. everyone was friendly and absurdly smart.
productive
Journeyman Painter (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 12, 2017
Good work but seasonal. Painted interior dorms and other medical bld. some exterior painting worked 8 hours a day 40 a week. good management and co workers.
Productive and fun workplace
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Minnesota, USADecember 11, 2017
• Student intern at the Alejandro Lab affiliated with the University of Minnesota, USA. My project was mainly involved in insulin signaling assessment in liver and visceral fat of mice lacking Serine Racemase.
• Co-author of a paper entitled Serine Racemase is expressed in islets and contributes to the regulation of glucose homeostasis (2016) published by Taylor & Francis group.

Different Techniques was taught & it was a great experience for me.
Very good people here
Adjunct Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 6, 2017
Great work-life balance here. You are surrounded by passionate people working hard to make the lives of animals better in companion animal and production animal medicine.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2