University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Great school
Teaching Assistant (TA) - Data Engineering (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 21, 2018
Great business school, top 15 in the country. You have tons of opportunities to really push yourself, you just have to get involved. Many resources at your hand on your side to help you get the best out of your education.
Quick and Simple bookstore job for incoming students
Security Team Member (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 20, 2018
Working at the university bookstore was a great place for student workers to learn how to balance life, school, and work. Management was fairly strict and unpleasant to deal with, employees were pretty apathetic and days were slow paced and long.
Cons
Very short breaks, no paid time off, difficult to call out sick.
Fun
Standardized Patient (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 19, 2018
Great company. Cares about the community. Makes you feel like family. I liked it would work there again. They have good helpful staff and really help the community.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  MinneapolisSeptember 19, 2018
Good place to work, but difficult to get promotion. good work hours, flexible work hours and good work life balance. Good benefits and salary. Not so great pay hikes.
High stress, long hours
Cook (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 18, 2018
High volume scratch cooking, stressful, management was good but staff was overworked and had a bad attitude. Many hours of overtime due to University's call in sick policy.
Pros
paid lunch, 1/2 hour mandatory breaks.
Office Assistant at the University of Minnesota
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 17, 2018
My work at the University of Minnesota is case by case. We host lots of events, so when events are going on, we are super busy but when we don't have events, it's pretty slow-paced. It's been really nice to balance my school and work but now I am more looking for full time job out of the school because I am graduating.
Great Place
Shop Attendant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 12, 2018
I enjoyed my time working for the U of M. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a position with them. Everyone was kind and cooperative. Fair pay.
Supportive, friendly, collaborative
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNSeptember 10, 2018
I worked there as a work study job. Flexible schedule, fun enviornment, suportive manager. A lot of collaboration with other emplyees. Time during shift to work on school work as well.
Intake Coordinator Review
Lead Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 6, 2018
Overall, the job itself is not hard and generally is not stressfull either. The day to day activities for most, revolve around scheduling and in my case also training for my team specific clinics to new employees and current employees. The biggest issues plaguing the university, sepcifically in their call center department is the lack of organization, inexperienced managers and supervisors and lack of support from upper management to create a wholesome all inclusive, work culture. There is definitely a gap in communication across the board, the deparment and the organization as a whole.
Pros
Good benefits, Pto, management willing to work with you on time off reqs
Cons
Disorganized, inexperienced leadership, poor workplace culture.
Good Place to Work
Program/Project Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 4, 2018
Great co-workers, excellent benefits. Would recommend. The hiring process is quite extensive, but it is a plus to work there. Be prepared to answer a lot of questions!
Pros
Great insurance
Union jobs
Cook (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNSeptember 4, 2018
I have worked for Umd for almost 5 years, I have learned a great deal and have had some awesome adventures. I would recommend anyone with a family work there for the benefits alone.
Pros
Union job
Cons
Seniority based
very competitive environment with collaborate coworkers
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNAugust 30, 2018
Very nice colleague to go. I like the competitive and collaborative environment. lots of activities to extend your ability and interest. Lots of events so that you can meet lots of people and expand the network
Great University
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 28, 2018
I have nothing but good things to say about the University of Minnesota. The work life balance was great, the health benefits were absolutely top-notch, and the science community is incredible. The cold of winter isn't for the faint of heart though; luckily large portions of the campus are connected by tunnels so you can stay inside.
Pros
Staff, health benefits, work-life balance
Cons
winter is coming
Easiest money you'll make
Web Worker (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 23, 2018
I enjoy the music they play while im working. The steady streams of crowds pouring in is reassuring. So many different people present. They do forget to give people breaks and im able to sneak an extra hour in or two because they dont seem to notice.
Pros
Relaxed, meet tons of new people
Cons
Standing and walking for long time(i dont mind, others do)
Fun & Exciting Inside View of Sports Management
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNAugust 21, 2018
I worked as a ticket taker for events and was promoted to a student intern a year later. I have had multiple opportunities working with professional and collegiate sports teams at a variety of venues.
Workplace culture
Morris, Minnesota Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Morris, MNAugust 17, 2018
Transparent and open communication. Great workplace environment. Employers offer opportunities to grow within your chosen field if you're willing to put in the work.
Very Political
IND/IDE Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 17, 2018
No management involvement in day to day operation. Decisions are made without knowledge or input from employees. Too political.
Management is chosen for their position not the experience needed to make big decisions. Great benefits
Amazing Environment
Lab Attendant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 14, 2018
Loved working here, the staff were all very helpful during training periods. Always accommodating as I was a student working a part-time job here. Overall, amazing place to work especially as a student.
average state jobs
Animal Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2018
There are multiple job opportunities but turnover rate can be high, especially since students are often employed here and leave work to return to classes. Several positions are part of a union. Great benefits. Expensive parking. There are a wide variety of people from all over the world employed here, though some positions tend to have more cultural diversity than others.
benefits
Cons
union, no free parking
working environment
Research Associate, Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2018
Academia can be very different between new faculty who are non-tenured (professional/academic status) versus tenure-track. For non-tenured, one must be vigilant on the dollars supporting one's position, be it hard money (endowment) or soft money (grants).
Pros
lots of unstructured time. Great for those who are self-motivated
Cons
A lot of grants are written during peak holiday seasons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight