University of Minnesota Employee Reviews

Fun environment with understanding management
Landcare Crew Member (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJanuary 17, 2019
A typical day at work is arriving for a 7:30 check in, followed by a brief meeting on the tasks for the day and the division of responsibilities. After that, land care crew members retrieve appropriate equipment for assigned tasks and head out to fulfill them. This job emphasized personal responsibility and independent work. The most enjoyable part of the job was the trust that management had in the team members to do their jobs correctly and with pride.
Pros
Outside, physically engaging, mix of independent and collaborative work
Cons
occasional bad weather
Productive workplace with self-motivated colleagues.
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNNovember 30, 2018
I enjoyed working in UMN. The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Digital Technology is a wonderful place for people who want to build their career in both academia and industry. Many opportunities are provided by the university to empower students on the competition in their future life, which include workshops, job training, English writing center, talks and colloquia.
Academic Workplace
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJanuary 2, 2019
This is a university and employees are normally connected to academic jobs like Professor, Instructor, Teaching Assistant etc. Working here gives positive experience for dealing with a number of students and teaching them. It polishes the communication and presentation skills.
Pros
Research environment, opportunities to learn more.
Ed rn
Staff Nurse, Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 5, 2018
Wonderful place to work with great culture and support from charge nurses and manager. Interesting and diverse patient population. Union does a great job for RNs. Great team work with nursing staff, ERTs, psych associates, and NAs. Professional and compassionate doctors who treat patients with great respect. Salary is very good considering cost of living in MN.
Diverse group of people
Executive Office and Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 31, 2018
Variety of people from all over the world and the opportunity to continue education. Faculty does not always plan in advance for semester needs. New students are usually very pleasant to work with especially international students.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
Faculty delay in preparing for class needs each semester
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 22, 2018
If you catch the bus it’s convenient but if you drive you have to pay for parking and parking is 100.00 dollars or more for monthly parking and they have good benefits but in the winter it gets very cold and at 8:30pm at night I would have to walk almost 2blocks to me vehicle and catch a campus connector to and from work.Some people have it made because they are in garage or ramp parking and they are not far from where they work.
Pros
Free lunch for employees if you work 8 hours
Cons
Parking isn’t convenient
Great career development
Executive Administrator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 21, 2018
The University is a great place to learn how an professional environment functions. Most areas treat their employees with the utmost professional respect. If you are a new graduate or seeking to develop your professional skills, this is a great place to work. The greatest drawback is they don't promote talent. You have to leave the university to get an opportunity outside the position you were hired into. This is frustrating and I'm certain it costs the University some good talent.
A relaxed place to work
Dry Lab leader (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 15, 2019
I worked as a teaching assistant at UMN. I like my job because I literally know all the staff that I had to teach my student and most of the work I can do it at home. I mean the time schedule is flexible. Since I know all the staff, I can have fewer mistakes in the class, and I can manage what I want to talk about at the discussion class.
3M Arena at Mariucci
Facility Coordinator - Internship (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJanuary 8, 2019
I'm thankful for an internship experience as a Facility Coordinator at U of M. This is a great place to work that offers a wealth of experience on many levels. I'm gaining skills in event management, facility oversight, supervising, and budgetary work. I would highly recommend this employer to others.
Melp
Adjunct Teaching Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 19, 2018
It has been a pleasure working at the Minnesota English Language Program! I am leaving because we are relocating to another state. I am leaving my heart here. My colleagues are simply the best language teachers in the state and collaborating with them is wonderful. So much support.
Pros
Colleagues are the best!
Cons
Being an adjunct means no benefits
Intake Coordinator Review
Lead Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 6, 2018
Overall, the job itself is not hard and generally is not stressfull either. The day to day activities for most, revolve around scheduling and in my case also training for my team specific clinics to new employees and current employees. The biggest issues plaguing the university, sepcifically in their call center department is the lack of organization, inexperienced managers and supervisors and lack of support from upper management to create a wholesome all inclusive, work culture. There is definitely a gap in communication across the board, the deparment and the organization as a whole.
Pros
Good benefits, Pto, management willing to work with you on time off reqs
Cons
Disorganized, inexperienced leadership, poor workplace culture.
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table.
Medical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNOctober 28, 2018
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table. supportive network within the community that provides positive environments for urban youth to become positive and productive adults.

Free Lunch, etc.
Short breaks, healthcare, etc.
Pros
Free Lunch, etc.
Cons
Short breaks, healthcare, etc.
Average
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, MNJanuary 3, 2019
Average workplace...has pros and cons.
Small office feel, generally quiet. Typical workday includes sitting at a desk doing work, or sitting in meetings.
Pros
Good environment if you happen to have a good supervisor.
Cons
Power struggles among senior leadership team. Constantly reorganizing/eliminating positions.
Review for University of MN
AHCIS Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 26, 2018
Would open up Sublime and start working on a task that is assigned to me. Would have weekly meetings with my boss. Worked closely with others. The hardest job was not meeting with stakeholders to know what they expect. The most enjoyable was getting together with coworkers.
Quick and Simple bookstore job for incoming students
Security Team Member (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 20, 2018
Working at the university bookstore was a great place for student workers to learn how to balance life, school, and work. Management was fairly strict and unpleasant to deal with, employees were pretty apathetic and days were slow paced and long.
Cons
Very short breaks, no paid time off, difficult to call out sick.
Great University
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 28, 2018
I have nothing but good things to say about the University of Minnesota. The work life balance was great, the health benefits were absolutely top-notch, and the science community is incredible. The cold of winter isn't for the faint of heart though; luckily large portions of the campus are connected by tunnels so you can stay inside.
Pros
Staff, health benefits, work-life balance
Cons
winter is coming
My work experience at the University of Mn.
Project Manager/ Estimator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 19, 2018
I had a lot to do everyday, so the day went very fast. I had to set-up meetings every week to meet clients and go over there needs.The day went very fast, the time flew by. I enjoyed working at the University.
Pros
Everyone was great to work with.
Cons
There were no cons
I love the educational/intellectual workplace the University offers
Administrative Assistant I-III, AFSCME (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNJanuary 1, 2019
I would recommend anyone work at the University of Minnesota if they are interested in an intellectually stimulating environment. I worked a number of different appointments, and enjoyed them all.
Office Assistant at the University of Minnesota
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 17, 2018
My work at the University of Minnesota is case by case. We host lots of events, so when events are going on, we are super busy but when we don't have events, it's pretty slow-paced. It's been really nice to balance my school and work but now I am more looking for full time job out of the school because I am graduating.
Great Experience in Teaching Calculus classes
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNNovember 18, 2018
Great Experience in Teaching Calculus classes
A lot of Freedom in conduction discussion sections
Good help from class lecturer overall good experience.
Class experience with courses in Analysis very good.
Pros
Friday evening Tea
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Minnesota. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight