University of Mississippi Medical Center Employee Reviews in Grenada, MS

UMMC Grenada
RN (Former Employee) –  Grenada, MSFebruary 27, 2019
UMMC- Grenada is the worst hospital I have ever worked at. Nurses are treated poorly by management. There is chronic understaffing and the nurse to patient ratios are unsafe. When there aren't enough nurses, they just ignore the staffing ratios and give nurses unsafe work loads.
Overall sincere attempts to provide good care and retain staff.
GENERAL SURGEON, ACTIVE MEDICAL STAFF (Former Employee) –  Grenada, MSMay 2, 2018
Very fair in compensation for doctors, not so with other staff. Lowest paid nurses in Grenada campus. Disproportionate spending on building at Jackson campus.
Pros
free breakfast
Cons
some difficulty with flexibility in scheduling due to strict budget
Decent Place to work
Patient Access Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grenada, MSApril 22, 2018
Enjoy my job, the work I do, but most of all, contact with public and helping patients. Strive to make sure the patients receive prompt treatment and patient satisfaction is very satisfying. Benefits are great but better salary and opportunities for advancement would be motivational. I feel job security is a constant fear, but I continue to strive for patient satisfaction and not self satisfaction.
Benefits
Cons
Pay, Length of time to hire employees
Co workers are great but pay stinks
Certified Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Grenada, MSNovember 28, 2017
I love working here but the pay and hours are horrible. They expect you to go over and beyond but don't want to pay you for a well deserved job. The lunch sucks. The patients and experience is great.
Cons
Pay sucks they tell you you get a raise then don't.
Prn staff
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grenada, MSSeptember 12, 2017
I just do prn here pay is good to me full time I wouldn't come for the pay they offer. Things have improved over the last few months but over the years I've been here I've seen some very poor management
Stressful, but rewarding
NURSE'S ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Grenada, MSMay 30, 2017
Some days work loads were a little hard, but the patients were the rewards of all the hard work. The experience was a learning process, with many ups and downs.
Answering phone, scheduling, waiting on patients.
Radiology Clerk/Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Grenada, MSMarch 30, 2017
I love transcription. This is the way of me helping the patients. I enjoy what I do. I love working on a computer. I love medical terminology. I love checking to see how many reports I can type in a day.
Amazing enviroment
Hosipitalist Physicians Practice Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grenada, MSJanuary 31, 2017
I really enjoyed working for this Medical Center. I had the chance to advance my skills. I worked with some amazing people. Who really cares about the patients and their families.
Overall good place to work
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Grenada, MSFebruary 9, 2016
Great co- workers. Overall good place to work. Has undergone several recent changes from private, county owned to UMC.
Avoid at all costs
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grenada, MSJune 21, 2015
Nurses are understaffed and overworked. There is a rampant bullying culture. This hospital is in the midst of transition from a bad administration and ownership to one that isn't much better. Staff is not supported. Patient to nurse ratios are ridiculous especially in the critical care areas. Totally unsafe. Training and orientation is bare minimum even less. I had been working there almost 5 weeks when they told me I would be charging. No training or differential, and I still had to carry my own patient load in addition to be johnny on the spot for everyone on the floor.

RNs are paid poorly - like LPN pay.
Pros
It pays money, though not good money at all.
Cons
Poor pay, High patient to nurse ratios, unsafe, bullying culture, etc
Poor excuse for health care
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Grenada, MississippiJune 21, 2015
A typical day in critical care involved being assigned large patient loads of acutely ill patients requiring involved specialized care. Typically there would be 8-9 patients per RN with no patient care technicians or nursing assistants. They cut you loose from training as quickly as possible then you can be reassigned to another floor or unit at the drop of a hat regardless of whether or not you have experience with that type of nursing or have ever oriented to that floor. Management disregards any input or concern from nurses who raise concern about patient safety. The retirement plan is about the only good thing about the benefits and compensation, but nothing is worth jeopardizing patient safety and your career.

There are many bullies from administration down and nurses are bullied to take assignments they are uncomfortable with.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Staffing, Lack of concern for safety, Low pay, Bullying culture, poor management
Wonderful benefits, great co-workers, too long of hours
Director of Clinic Operations & Hospitlaist Coor. (Current Employee) –  Grenada, MSMarch 17, 2014
Great environment but most managers wear multiple hats and the work load can seem overwhelming at times. Very long hours but wonderful staff to work with and great management.