University of Mississippi Medical Center Employee Reviews for Administrative Assistant

Be wary of various departments- Not all are run the same!
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 22, 2019
Be sure to research and ask questions about the department before officially starting- and get all amendments in writing. I was hired to work during a set time frame, and later that time was "not approved;" so my work hours changed. The department is micromanaged, and there is no culture whatsoever. The department is currently run by several people who do not know what they are doing- and will blame others for their mistakes.

The toughest part of the job is the delegation- management passes tasks off to whomever they see fit, even when it is clear that the task was given to them to complete; and they do not know the answers to questions when asked. This department could see a complete change in overall satisfaction and performance if not micromanaged, and if run by people who actually knew what they were doing.
Pros
Cons
Micromanagement, Untrained leaders, Favoritism, and low pay for duties assigned
Nice working environment
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39216February 13, 2019
I have a laid back position. I work in the office setting with only phone contact with patients. I mainly have contact with hospital staff and work closely with them.
Pros
Paid days
Cons
very long to receive raises
productive
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 30, 2018
It's ok just have poor pay and its a very wealthy company. They do have good benefits, however I do believe they could be better for their employees. Perks aren't that good.
Entergetic work place and fast pace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 15, 2018
Dictating MD orders and registering patients for outpatient appointment. Scheduling outpatient tests and follow up appointments. Scheduling lunches and preparing information for staff meetings. Assist as team player in departments as needed.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
Weekend staff meeting
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 8, 2018
Enjoyed working at UMMC. Would not have left if the hospital had not had a freeze on. After 6 years I felt that I needed to look elsewhere.

Great people that cares about the patients and the people who work there.
UMC is a nice place to work.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 4, 2018
I really enjoyed working at UMC. It was a fun place to work and my surroundings were great. My job was stressful only when I couldn't help the client/patient.
Pros
good place to work
Cons
no job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 24, 2018
Administrative assistant , I worked with MD and nurse in assisting patients for clinic appointments and scheduling procedures and dictating. My coworkers where wonderful, this is where I learned to be a team player. I loved communicating with the parents of our patients and I enjoyed watching all of there improvements along the way. Attendance was prompt and always filled in for other clinics as needed when they were short. The most important part of this job was helping my patients and there families. I was laid off due to budget cuts and downsizing when new dictation, Epic came in but overall this was a good job and I worked in various departments.
Pros
Free lunch, hospitality
Great nurses and doctors
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 10, 2018
Answer the phones, direct phone calls. Meet with Director to see if anything was needed for meetings. Great nurses and doctors. Order office supplies
Pros
State retirement
Cons
Short lunches
great place
Anesthesiology Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 5, 2018
this is a great place to work. The only reason that I left was because my husband is in the service. The unit that I worked in was a very friendly environment.
Enjoyed working there
Administrative Assistant IV (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 4, 2017
Miss working there and would love to return. I would still be there if I wasn't laid of due to federal cuts. If allowed to return, would love to be a part of a team, able to make a difference.
Ok if you don’t expect much
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 1, 2017
They don’t treat their employees very well. Some days were alright but it’s a stressful environment. Raises and promotions are few. The retirement is the only reason I stayed there.
Pros
State retirement
Cons
Parking, few raises
Productive and Advancement Career Opportunity
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 6, 2017
It is a stable place to work if you are looking for stability and advancement. The salary is above average, health benefits are provided with the option of vision/dental coverage, and the work environment is a great place to work.
Fun place to wrk, great learning environment.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 29, 2017
Fun and exciting place to work, conducive environment, great learning atmosphere. Company is laid back and care about their employees. Pay is less t
Administrator's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 4, 2017
Great place to work for a "people person." Knowing that you are helping people every day is rewarding. You might could earn more at other places, but the environment is worth the trade-off.
Pros
managers are very nice people to work with
Cons
may can earn more at other places
Good place to work long term.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 11, 2016
Heavy work load. Learned to organize work daily. Interacted with management often. Interacted with co-workers daily. Hardest part was waiting for work. Most enjoyable were holidays, especially Christmas when everyone in the department got together.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
No raises for years. No room for advancement.
It is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  2500 North State StreetNovember 10, 2016
I learned a lot from working at the University Medical Center. From Pathology, Cardiology, Children's Cancer Clinic, Orthopedic and Genetic. My most enjoyable department was the Children's Cancer Clinic.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Healthcare, etc
Stable Employment
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 25, 2016
UMMC has given me the opportunity to show my skills and knowledge. I would like to continue employment with UMMC if a social work position becomes available. But, because I have changed profession, I am seeking employment to begin my new journey and fulfill my goals in life.
Large teaching facility
Admin Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 14, 2016
Few departments are nice, others are very stressful and have awful management/supervisors. Advancement often depends on who you know, not what you know.
Pros
Some job security
Cons
Bad management
Administrative Assistant IV (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 8, 2016
I have been blessed to be employed by UMMC. Everyone is very helpful and supportive. The executive leadership not only leads by example, but truly cares for the improvement of everyone who comes through the doors.
Great
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 6, 2016
Great healthcare experience in a teaching healthcare setting. I was able to learn the in and outs of a large health care facility which not only caters to students but also its employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Mississippi Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

University of Mississippi Medical Center Reviews by Location