University of Mississippi Medical Center Employee Reviews for Registered Nurse

UMMC Grenada
RN (Former Employee) –  Grenada, MSFebruary 27, 2019
UMMC- Grenada is the worst hospital I have ever worked at. Nurses are treated poorly by management. There is chronic understaffing and the nurse to patient ratios are unsafe. When there aren't enough nurses, they just ignore the staffing ratios and give nurses unsafe work loads.
RN NICU (former employee)
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 18, 2019
Absolute favorite place to work. Complex patients. Competent nurses, NNP’’s, and neonatologist. Fast paced and very large/busy unit, but everyone is very helpful. I was confident in my managers. It wasn’t always easy to get time off, but I understood patient care and staffing was a priority. Increase in pay needed, but benefits were great.
Pros
Cohesive night shift crew
Cons
Low pay
The bees knees
Registered Nurse (Abdominal Transplant) (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSFebruary 10, 2019
For a fast paced environment with highly motivated individuals, an applicant should look no further. From endless opportunities for growth and development to excellent leadership; UMC has it all!
Cons
Lack of autonomy
Great place to learn and work
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 13, 2018
UMMC is a great place to learn and grow in nursing. The staff is very supportive. You will be involved in a cutting healthcare team in a level 1 trauma center.
Big hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSOctober 28, 2018
UMMC is a great teaching hospital. It is HUGE, Though. I miss being there and the learning opportunity that it always presented me with. I would suggest it for sure.
Great Job
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 2, 2018
Very high paced job with high patient aquity, best practices are held and implemented at this hospital, the nurses have great team work and provide high quality care.
Pros
Team work
Cons
very busy
Cdi rn
RN CDI (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 13, 2018
I enjoyed working at UMC as I learned a lot. However, raises are scarce and recognition is poor for jobs well done. It was a good experience overall.
Pros
Remote job
Cons
No raise past 5 years. Took on management task without a title and pay.
Happy working here- coworkers are amazing
RN I (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 28, 2018
I’m happy working here mostly, rates should be more competitive. Most employees have two jobs just to make it. The environment is good- coworkers are amazing. It’s a good company, with good benefits.
Pros
Exciting and fun place to work. Tuition reimbursement, career advancement opportunities, multiple shifts in all departments, flexibility
Cons
Pay
same as above
Float RN (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 8, 2018
same as above write up. all about patient care satisfactions. early morning meetings daily. friendly work environment with doctors, RNs, and paramedical staff.
Pros
same as above write up
Cons
same as above write up
great work environment
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 25, 2018
i loved the floor that i worked on, management was great and i felt right at home. of course the pay was not that great and i never got any sort of raise in my over year there the holiday pay was good and benefits were okay
great
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSNovember 9, 2017
It is a great place to work good salary, great supervisor. The ladies and men that I work with for the most part, are really friendly. Ever once in a while you run across unfriendliness but always take the high road and smile and be kind. You never know what someone is going through.
Great hospital and a great learning environment
Relief Float Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 26, 2017
Great hospital and a great learning experience. Management is great. It is easy to communicate with doctors, great team work. I enjoy the hospital as a whole.
Did not like this job
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSSeptember 16, 2017
I loved the nursing field I was in - however, staff very unlikely to assist with training as I was a new nurse. Very stressful job. Always anxious and never felt like I was good enough for employees or manager.
Rn
Registered Nurse I (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 17, 2017
I love working at UMMC but nurses do not get paid enough for the work load and the abuse from some patients. UMMC is not for the weak or the money hungry
Pros
Benefits, Teamwork, Teaching hospital, prestige
Cons
Parking, Low pay, old equipment, location
Very great place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 11, 2017
Enjoyed working here, they had great benefits as well as great employees. I worked night shift and I had 7 days on and 7 days off which was not my ideal schedule so my boss said she would work with me to change it around. Would definitely recommend working here.
Best workplace for optimal hospital experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 24, 2017
Everyday, something new is learned. Fast paced, great coworkers, good management. Hardest part of the job is time management. Very common but very true. This job allows you to develop trusting relationships with patients and peers.
Love the people I work with
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSMay 1, 2017
Not a bad place to work, learn new thing on a daily basis, that's what I love. Most days you are very busy, hardly have time to eat, but yet it is so rewarding
Pros
Good retirement, PTO accumulates really fast
Cons
Having to drive ah hour and a half to work
unending chances to learn, supportive staff and management
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 29, 2017
I learned more at the UMMC then any other pace I've worked. Great advancement culture for women. Clean and safe environment. Constant assistance from doctors and staff. Unbelieveable inservices . Staff support was highly evident. Many cultural activities in area.Much encouragement to learn. If mistakes were made they were analyzed and corrected. Plenty of learning opportunities. Awesome cafeteria with varied healthy food choices. Michigan Athletucs and Football,Hockey. I learned many new techniques and procedures. I assisted in running codes. I admitted,discharged many patients. Some days I admitted patients,discharged patents,passed meds,changed I.V. Tubing and subclavian sites. Management was top shelf-very supportive. Scheduling was flexible.Outstanding benefits and compensation. Lateral advancement. Great gift shops.Hardest part of my job was leaving everyday.I loved working there because I learned daily. I learned how to supervise aides with kindness and caring. Highly trained security staff. Counseling services.
Pros
Lots of inservices, opportunity to learn, improved parking
Cons
to busy at times, not enough help
great place to gain experience
RN ambulatory (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSDecember 9, 2016
Good place to work. Lots of fun people and an opportunity to see and learn many things. Many skilled professionals who are always willing to teach. Would recommend to anyone.
There are better places to work and there are worse
RN (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSApril 22, 2016
I enjoy some of the people I work with but there are some that should have been fired a long time ago. The hospital has a large amount of dead weight hires, employed there only to draw a check and vest their retirement. During the time I have been there, I have heard numerous people state, they retired to the UMMC. Meaning they had a real job at one time and now they are going to take it easy and get vested in the retirement plan. The hospital has some really good people that work there but they run them off with all the ones that are not willing to pull their share of the load. People are placed in management positions with no support and when they fail, they are fired. There is a constant turnover in management positions. If you are hard worker, you will be taken advantage of constantly.
Pros
Retirement. Everything needed (food, post office) is on one campus, centrally located in town. There are some good people that work there.
Cons
They maintain a large amount of lazy, irresponsible, people in positions they have no right to be in. For some people, it is so easy for them to fire and others, it is like like watching paint dry. It does not matter what position you hire on for, they can and will completely change it at their own whim, regardless of the hiring contract.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Mississippi Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at University of Mississippi Medical Center.

Powered by Comparably