University of Mississippi Employee Reviews

part time instructor
Instructor (part-time) (Former Employee) –  University, MSJanuary 17, 2019
I started teaching one class per semester. That grew to 3 classes a semester, which made be benefits eligible. My classes were between 60 and 120 students.
Pros
freedom
Cons
lack of growth
Productive and fun with coworkers and boss
Secretary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJanuary 17, 2019
The job is a great place to work at if you are looking for a work study job. It kept me on my feet and it increased my work experience for the better.
Pros
Free lunches, good coworkers
Easy Job
Game Day Operations (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJanuary 4, 2019
This job was really laid back. We were given a simple task that could sometimes stack up, but by me being a work-study student the pay was not that good.
Pros
Free meal(s), making new friends on campus, meet lots of people
Cons
some people asking question would have attitudes
Excellent learning environment
Undergraduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSDecember 25, 2018
I gained a lot of valuable skills and knowledge working under professors in the Biology Department. They helped me understand what I want to do with my Biology degree and have opened many doors for me.
Recruiting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MS 38655December 12, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people. For the most part, my co-workers are amazing. The hardest part of the job is not fitting in and feeling left out.
Healthy work environment
IT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSNovember 26, 2018
The only problem I have working here is the poor pay. Boss's are wonderful, and, as a student, I could very easily balance my work and school. Days off could easily be taken by letting bosses know in advance.
Pros
job/life balance, flexible hours
Cons
poor pay
It was fun
Distance Learning Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Southaven, MSNovember 16, 2018
It was a nice place to work and also some times do school work. The people that I met were amazing and I hope they continue to be in my life for years to come.
Productive and fun environment
Writing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSNovember 12, 2018
A typical day at work is getting a few appointments a day to help better student's writing skills. We have online and face-to-face appointments depending on what part of the writing process a student is on. We have been through several training opportunities to help us learn more about diversity and non-traditional aged students. The workplace culture is very laid back, but vigorous at the same time. The hardest part of the job is analyzing the student and figuring out the best way to help that particular student. The most enjoyable part of the job is when students continue to come back to you for further appointments because they enjoyed working with you.
Fun and personable work
Biological lab and field research assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSOctober 30, 2018
I really enjoyed working with students and helping them learn and be more successful. I learned a lot of time management skills by balancing my job and school work at the same time.
Student Worker
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSOctober 26, 2018
I was a desk receptionist in one of the dorms. I checked students in and out. I helped create work schedules and greeted students. It was a fun environment and the management was nice.
Productive and fun workplace that encourages educational development
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  University, MSOctober 3, 2018
Job description was that of a Resident Adviser. Tasks would include checking the dorm halls at night, working behind the check-in desk, and acting as a mentor to incoming students.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
irregular work hours
Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 20, 2018
Fun and engaging learning experience for a school year Internship. This taught me a lot about working with a team and being a small classroom with 20+ students.
Stressful work enviroment where you WILL be replaced
Distance learning facilitator (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 10, 2018
I was brand new to this job so naturally i was a little behind. They fired me after about my 3rd screw up. I was moved around quite a bit and it never got any better.
Professors were great to work with
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 3, 2018
During my time as a graduate student, my department had great comradery between both the professors and students. There were many friendships and collaborations within the department. I definitely enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Collaborative
Cons
May not be as competitive internally as other universities
Seems nice at first, but is deceptive
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 25, 2018
Loved it at first, even though I had more work than was acceptable for one person. Things quickly changed as management is overly critically and way too harsh on employees. If you're not part of their "club," or fit into a certain mold, they are dismissive of you. If you work at UM, know you'll get blamed for mistakes that other long-time employees make. They protect their own, and don't care about others. They are also quick to judge you and let you go without even fully discussing what the "problem" is or give an explanation. First strike and you're out. There is also a lot of gossiping and judging. You always have to watch your back. So disappointing.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
A lot, but mostly the tense atmosphere
Great benefits if you don't mind living chek to check
Annonomous (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 11, 2018
Very strong embedded racist culture. This place has been that way for decades. A workplace of politics. However, depending on who you are, it might be a very fun place to work.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSAugust 8, 2018
The University of Mississippi is a dignitary entity where everyone is believed to play a role and contribute. It is an awesome place to interact and learn.
Ole Miss is missing opportunities
Analyst II Outreach IT (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSAugust 4, 2018
Ole Miss, at least where I worked seemed to fight its employees, not support them. Poor pay, outrageous parking fees (yes, employees must pay dearly to park there), Upper management does not even communicate nor acknowledge the bulk of the workers. It is sad that this institution seems to basically ignore their employees biggest issues.
Pros
Nice campus. Some great people.
Cons
Parking, parking, parking and parking policies are punitive to employees. Outrageous
Barely enough for college
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  University, MSJuly 31, 2018
Something to try and get by with. If you are a college student and need a couple of dollars then you can go with this one but you are lucky to get picked.
good place for studying and living
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJuly 19, 2018
It has great culture, and fantastic lab set up. The students here are very passionate and energetic, determined to science. The organic lab set up is totally new, the professors here are full of ideas.