University of Mississippi Employee Reviews

Productive and fun environment
Writing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Tupelo, MSNovember 12, 2018
A typical day at work is getting a few appointments a day to help better student's writing skills. We have online and face-to-face appointments depending on what part of the writing process a student is on. We have been through several training opportunities to help us learn more about diversity and non-traditional aged students. The workplace culture is very laid back, but vigorous at the same time. The hardest part of the job is analyzing the student and figuring out the best way to help that particular student. The most enjoyable part of the job is when students continue to come back to you for further appointments because they enjoyed working with you.
Fun and personable work
Biological lab and field research assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSOctober 30, 2018
I really enjoyed working with students and helping them learn and be more successful. I learned a lot of time management skills by balancing my job and school work at the same time.
Student Worker
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSOctober 26, 2018
I was a desk receptionist in one of the dorms. I checked students in and out. I helped create work schedules and greeted students. It was a fun environment and the management was nice.
Productive and fun workplace that encourages educational development
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  University, MSOctober 3, 2018
Job description was that of a Resident Adviser. Tasks would include checking the dorm halls at night, working behind the check-in desk, and acting as a mentor to incoming students.
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
irregular work hours
Teacher Assistant
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 20, 2018
Fun and engaging learning experience for a school year Internship. This taught me a lot about working with a team and being a small classroom with 20+ students.
Stressful work enviroment where you WILL be replaced
Distance learning facilitator (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 10, 2018
I was brand new to this job so naturally i was a little behind. They fired me after about my 3rd screw up. I was moved around quite a bit and it never got any better.
Professors were great to work with
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 3, 2018
During my time as a graduate student, my department had great comradery between both the professors and students. There were many friendships and collaborations within the department. I definitely enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Collaborative
Cons
May not be as competitive internally as other universities
Seems nice at first, but is deceptive
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 25, 2018
Loved it at first, even though I had more work than was acceptable for one person. Things quickly changed as management is overly critically and way too harsh on employees. If you're not part of their "club," or fit into a certain mold, they are dismissive of you. If you work at UM, know you'll get blamed for mistakes that other long-time employees make. They protect their own, and don't care about others. They are also quick to judge you and let you go without even fully discussing what the "problem" is or give an explanation. First strike and you're out. There is also a lot of gossiping and judging. You always have to watch your back. So disappointing.
Pros
Holiday pay
Cons
A lot, but mostly the tense atmosphere
Great benefits if you don't mind living chek to check
Annonomous (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSAugust 11, 2018
Very strong embedded racist culture. This place has been that way for decades. A workplace of politics. However, depending on who you are, it might be a very fun place to work.
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSAugust 8, 2018
The University of Mississippi is a dignitary entity where everyone is believed to play a role and contribute. It is an awesome place to interact and learn.
Ole Miss is missing opportunities
Analyst II Outreach IT (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSAugust 4, 2018
Ole Miss, at least where I worked seemed to fight its employees, not support them. Poor pay, outrageous parking fees (yes, employees must pay dearly to park there), Upper management does not even communicate nor acknowledge the bulk of the workers. It is sad that this institution seems to basically ignore their employees biggest issues.
Pros
Nice campus. Some great people.
Cons
Parking, parking, parking and parking policies are punitive to employees. Outrageous
Barely enough for college
Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  University, MSJuly 31, 2018
Something to try and get by with. If you are a college student and need a couple of dollars then you can go with this one but you are lucky to get picked.
good place for studying and living
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJuly 19, 2018
It has great culture, and fantastic lab set up. The students here are very passionate and energetic, determined to science. The organic lab set up is totally new, the professors here are full of ideas.
Productive and fun
Health Educator Professor I (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 18, 2018
A typical work day includes,working with students, educating them using health related topics. Most importantly for me is learning how to communicate with different ages and races. The hardest part of my job is building relationships with students knowing that one day you must release them into the real world and watch students mature as they journey on in life. The most enjoyable part of my job is making a positive deposit in the lives of others.
Pros
Having an opportunity to encourage healthy lifestyles
Cons
Worked under a professor to gain research experience
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  University, MSJuly 4, 2018
My undergraduate research experience was good, but I know of some other undergraduates who were not challenged enough, or were not properly taught the methods of experimentation and good science.
Good environment but poor health insurance
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University, MSJune 27, 2018
A nice work culture;; interactions are encouraged between staff. Benefits not bad. Insurance sucks, but paid time off is wonderful. Friendly environment with tuition reimbursement as a perk.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
poor health insurance
Productive work environment
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJune 19, 2018
The job was competitive but rewarding. The staff interacted well with one another and the work was fair and balanced. Manager was always looking for ways to make the job better.
Ole Miss
Vice-President (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJune 17, 2018
I was only a work study for the VA, did not actually work for the University. I am only filling this out because I have to in order to fulfill the minimum requirement
Pretty Comfy Job
Website Developer (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJune 17, 2018
The job is quite easy and pays well. This is a great place to work for if it deal with anything in the computer science field. I have learn many new developments within wordpress.
Nice place to work
Graduate Assistant - Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJune 12, 2018
Normal pacing work-life with average pay and benefits. Learned new things every couple of days. Good place to work at with helpful and intelligent colleagues.
Cons
No sick leave or paid leaves