University of Missouri Employee Reviews

Racist, Cutthroat, Political, Backstabbing Office Managers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  UMSL-Saint LouisNovember 1, 2018
I worked in a very toxic office on campus. The office was controlled by one girl, who wasn’t even a manager. The manager was new and too dumb and lazy to think for herself. If you don’t personally know a higher up, your voice will not be heard. UMSL Saint-Louis could be a nice place to work, but for the racism and politics. So if you like racism, few raises, and backstabbing co-workers, this is the environment for you. Oh, and you can forget about changing departments. They will block you.
Pros
Health, dental, vision and life insurance. Free parking.
Cons
Racism, cliques, low pay. Your nobody unless you know somebody
Good benefits; good short-term job. Mediocre management.
Director's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 26, 2018
Mizzou has great benefits and there is a chance to learn a lot of different skills/jobs if you're willing to move around. The university does not reward longevity and will lay you off with no performance problems even after 25 years as was my case.

Still, I learned a lot; took advantage of free IT trainings, diversity trainings, etc... I was not blessed with talented managers and so I would change departments in order to advance.

Another thing; Office Support Staff IVs beware; these folks are doing the work of three full time people in most cases. Your coordinator positions, executive assistants are a much more manageable work load.

I will add that Mizzou has a great HR department and a lot of really great people to work with. It's just too easy for untalented and insecure managers to interfere with these great peoples' advancement at the University.
Pros
Great benefits; lots of training & educational options.
Cons
Too many nut cases in management.
Inhuman and dis-compassionate robots in management
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 11, 2019
No one knows what they're doing or how to treat people they're in charge of. They do not take suggestions that could make improvements for not only employees but patients as well. Used to be a great place to work, all about the culture of YES, Then they hired new management, including people who knew nothing about healthcare and were not qualified to be managing an environment for patients. Suddenly it was about streamlining, new strict guidelines, and who can we fire next. Culture of YES is meaning less and less since the Unviersity has been under pressure to save it's failing image, and turned to budget cuts instead of values.
The University of Missouri is a great place to work and has a lot of opportunities to explore the world of nursing
OR Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 31, 2018
My typical day begins early and requires me to answer the phone, post cases and communicate with other schedulers quickly and efficiently. I have learned how the OR process works from the scheduling of the surgery to discharging from the PACU. Management works well with employees and makes every attempt to allow your schedule to fit your life. The hardest part of my job is making sure everything is done accurately and completely. The most enjoyable part of the day is getting to talk to other schedulers through out the facility and helping them find OR time for their patients.
Pros
Excellent benefits and great hours
Cons
Occasionally work through lunch
Excellent educational rewards
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 7, 2018
Office management along with multitasking for the accounting department. Fun loving close knit coworkers who make you feel like they are your family. Time management and multitasking is a must to answer the multiline PBX switchboard. The best part was getting half of my classes for the semester paid for by the school.
Pros
UMKC paid for half of my classes that were taken during working hours.
Cons
There was always lots of work and not many raises
Learning Experience
Student Ambassador/Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 4, 2018
I was only a student worker, most of my time was spent on giving potential students campus tours and the other time I am assisting the campus at our center with departmental communication. My experience with interacting with the diverse population of student helped me immensely in my next job.
Pros
Cons
No benefits for student workers
Relaxed, slow-paced environment
Technology (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 1, 2018
Great place to work if you're not really interested in advancing your career. Excellent benefits and awesome people, lots of time off and flexible schedules, major bonus is tuition discount for full-time employees. Just no room for career growth.
Pros
relaxed environment, flexible, great people
Cons
no room for career advancement
Fantastic Benefits
School Improvement Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOSeptember 29, 2018
The MU System provides tremendous health benefits. The culture surrounding professional learning and community services is outstanding on campus and I would recommend it as a place for anyone to work!
Treats employees well
Office Support Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MODecember 30, 2018
Depending on the position held, MU is a great place for a long term career with a fair pay rate and excellent benefits. They also provide 50% off tuition to spouse/dependents and 75% off to employees
Student Affairs seemed less focused on students and more on politics
Student & Auxiliary Services (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 9, 2018
Administration seemed to be more focused on how politics affect themselves, rather than how they could support individuals who were there to help students. Salaries were not commensurate with job duties or individuals' experiences. Layoffs happened with no advanced warning, despite administration saying that would not happen.
Pros
Good networking opportunities
Cons
Difficult to advance professionally, environment of gossip and distrust

Want to know more about University of Missouri?

Ask a question
Job resposibilities as an Engineering Plant specialist were disproportionate to pay, Work culture all words no action
Mechanical Plant Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 9, 2018
The work tasks themselves were reasonable, however as the only Mechanical plant specialist on duty during evenings, nights, and weekends the expectations and job tasks were very unreasonable for one person to fulfill.
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
hostile work environment because of one particular coworker, stressful position being the only on duty Mechanical plant specialist during non business hours
University of MIssouri
Landscape horticulturist (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 20, 2018
I have worked in three different departments at the university of missouri. if you dont care about getting compensated for working hard, or never being able to get a raise, or having to work harder to make up the slack of your lazeir co-workers, then the university of missouri is for you.

iv had managers who think its ok to do their personal shopping online while at work. managers who sit around and would rather play card games than have an effective and efficent work force. I am continually amazed at how anyone at the university thinks that they are doing a professional job. the administration is highly over paid and the labor force is sadly underpaid. which makes for a disparity in the evaluation of the work that is actually accomplished.
Pros
benifits
Cons
too little compensation, not enough room for advancement
The University was a good place to work
Event Staff III (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOOctober 17, 2018
By working for the Athletic Dept Event Staff one is able to work as much or as little as one wants.

With the availability to choose the event one wants to work, whether it is a basketball game, baseball, soccer, a concert, what ever the event may be they allow one to choose, or maybe a person wants some time off and doesn't want to work for a while that is ok as well.

It is really flexible and that makes it a really great place to work
Pros
Flexibility, Friendly Management
Cons
sometime the event may be in not so great weather but the event still goes on.
Easy place to work
Telephone interviewer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 21, 2018
Easy place to work, but the pay is low and there are no raises. Some of the supervisor was great to work with. The training was consistent and thorough with regular reviews on how to improve your productivity.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, flexible schedule
Cons
low pay, no raises, no benefits
Great management with an easy to learn process
Digital Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 11, 2018
I love the management and the culture at the University of Missouri. I've learned more about the digital marketing world. The most enjoyable part of the job is how much there is to learn and how the management can grow with the student employees. The position is very flexible as well.
Pros
Flexible schedule, on campus, open communication
Cons
Hours available
little room for improvement
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 25, 2018
work culture was pleasant , but little room for advancement , unless additional education was submitted.
i enjoyed my position and was certainly trained to the utmost standards. I had complete confidence in my handling daily tasks, such as dealing with insurance companies to secure prior-authorizations, and with patient communication, appointment setting, record keeping, and data entry.
Poor leadership at the helm.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 24, 2018
Use to be a decent place to work before new management. Very, unfair, cold, rude, racist, cutthroat environment now.

If you were not a clickish type person with your boss, you would have a hard time maintaining employment on campus. Lots of favoritism, and poor performance on all levels, because of poor leadership at the helms.

That and along with little funding creates the worst environment to work within. Meetings are conducted and before you return to your desk your supervisor already know what was said, especially, with HR.

The student center has restrooms without ventilation in the dining hall.

I've seen Rights of students violated often without students even realizing.
Cons
Poor leadership
Not friendly
Engineering research tech (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOAugust 8, 2018
No support for improvement no merit raises back stabbing and gossip and no team work also no merit raises for hard work unless you are A PhD you are nothing. They don't follow policy and there is no pay raise's
Pros
Cons
Pay
Great place to learn new and bleeding edge technologies
Manager Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJuly 4, 2018
Great place where I had many opportunities to learn and grow as a Network Engineer and a manager. The hardest part of the job was of course the office politics.
Pros
open and relaxed work environment
Cons
salary
Student oriented place to work
Executive Staff Assistant II, College of Education (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 5, 2018
Working at the university give me great pride to be part of the team. Also, I love working with the students and partnering school districts are engaging and innovation. The workplace culture is improving to satisfy more diverse committees for faculty/staff.
Pros
Workplace culture is improving
Cons
Need more diverse administrators

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Missouri. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss