University of Montana Employee Reviews

Rewarding Job but very few hours
Outreach Coordinator for the UM Lambda Alliance (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTAugust 6, 2019
As a student employee working for an ASUM recognized student group, I was only allowed to work 16 hours per pay period. Definitely not a job you can live on, but a great work-study position and very rewarding.
Coordinator
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dillon, MTJuly 3, 2019
There were multiple responsibilities to this position. The tasks seemed difficult to complete. Several people have held this position over a three year period. I actually worked at University of Montana Western in Dillon, Montana.
Work
Computer Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dillon, MTJune 14, 2019
They were really good I balancing work and school. I was working when I was in School and they did really well I'm balancing that. You could only work two hours per day
It's a job
Manager, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJune 8, 2019
Everyone I've worked with was extremely kind. I'm glad I had this job, despite how repetitive it was. I felt appreciated by my superiors and I liked them a lot. They worked well with my schedule as I was a student when I worked there.
Quite Friendly and Very Supportive
COMPUTER/ACCOUNT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 30, 2019
Most of my time was devoted to calling students with compromised accounts and setting up appointments as well as helping students retrieve said accounts. I learned a great deal about computer networks and account retrieval. the management was some what understanding of life issues like sickness/injury. The hardest part was the steep learning curve at the start it takes a while to get the hand of everything. the most enjoyable part was the friendly and supportive work environment.
Pros
learning new computer skills
Cons
difficult management
Exellent
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 30, 2019
I really enjoyed working in the Registrars' Office. The environment was relaxed, all my co-workers were really nice, and understanding. During my shift I would typically show up, see what needed to be done for the day, and go about working. Usually I was updating or managing files, or up at the front desk answering questions from students or faculty. Overall, this job was a good opportunity for me, I never had any issues! For instance, the hardest part of this job was probably finding ways to eat up spare time on slow days.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Slow days
Great atmosphere for graduate students, poor compensation
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 28, 2019
Overall, working for the university as a graduate student exceeded all expectations. The horror stories of stress and poor work life balance from other universities did not apply to UM. The departments I worked for were incredible.

My only qualms about the university itself are poor compensation for graduate students. The salaries were fine in comparison to other schools, but they did not offer student healthcare.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
No healthcare
Slow, Not very rewarding or compelling.
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMay 13, 2019
This job, or rather the part of this job that occurs during the semester, is not hard. It is straightforward labor, and you manage yourself through your entire shift. The coworkers were fine, but never consistent in showing up. The job never pushes you, never requires you to be or do better, and often was frustrating due to factors completely out of your control.
I was a graduate student.
Research Assistant and Graduate Studies in the GYE (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 22, 2019
See the title. I was given tuition and lodging cost in return for working as an RA. I worked in a great lab, but some are better and some are worse. Left when my degree was finished.
Productive, fast moving, attention to detail workplace
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 22, 2019
This can be a very fast paced office from phone calls with students and parents who are looking for answers from the University banner site, to guidance on using the many facets of the university website. We answer questions in person or over the phone and in the online chat about registration, filing different forms and directions to finding different offices and buildings on campus.

Students are often times upset, exasperated, and ready to quit. When they come to our office we make them feel welcome, help walk them through the technicalities of the university online system, and give them direction on what office can best answer their questions.

We also perform daily filing and monthly audits. We have an extensive filing system that we maintain and keep up-to-date.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
I will need more hours as of May 6th, and they are not available on this job
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 21, 2019
Just a normal teaching assistant job. Had to teach a couple classes, grade, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. Very normal experience from what I can tell.
Enjoyed my supervisor and co workers
Community Assistant (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 17, 2019
Decent place to work as a student in residents life. I had an amazing supervisor and great co workers. There were some regulations that were outdated or not well thought out and that was frustrating.
Pros
Worked with great people
Cons
Whole of university not always managed well
Excellent workplace for College Students
dishwasher my freshman year (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, MTApril 16, 2019
They provide manageable hours that fit in with the student's schedule and are located on campus allowing those students to be able to go to their classes and come in to work almost immediately after or vice versa.
Pros
Free Meal
Relaxed, non demanding job
Custodian Technician (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 16, 2019
I get to work independently and without hassle. The job is easy and I have no qualms with showing up everyday. Half the year you are required to do different jobs which is a nice relief from the everyday grind.
Pros
Amazing benefuts
Cons
Puke cleanup
Fun college job
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 13, 2019
I learned a lot about fellow students and I gained a lot of friends. The environment was pretty relaxed but could get pretty busy in the middle of the day. Managers were nice and very understanding if you needed a day off.
Pros
Free lunches when working over 3 hours
Great start to post college career
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 13, 2019
UofM is a great setting to prepare students for post graduation success. They offer many programs and avenues in order for a student to rise in success.
Fun job
Temp Worker (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTFebruary 4, 2019
It's a first job for a lot of people, and it's fun working with so many enthusiastic young people learning how to do things. The downside is it's a huge kitchen, so you rarely work with the same people all the time.
Flexible, fast paced environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJanuary 27, 2019
Typical day was creating and organizing different dishes for parties. The chefs were very willing to work with my class schedule. Hardest part of the job is being on your feet all day but the environment is very friendly and fun to be in
Very worth it
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Toole VillagesJanuary 23, 2019
Working on the summer custodial crew was awesome. You are payed fairly for your work, hours are wonderful. all the people who work there are amazing and although it offers no benefits unless you are full time, its still a great company to work. Care more about you as a person then as anything else.
Pros
everything
Cons
no air conditioning
engaging environment
Full-time Student (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MT 59802January 6, 2019
As a new nontraditional freshman at the University of Montana, the experience has been optimal. Registration is quick and easy. The staff is very helpful and the instructors are talented educators.