University of Montana Employee Reviews

good place to work
CLINICAL MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 15, 2018
The workplace culture is good. Management is friendly and caring. The job advancement is non-existent. There are a lot of things that are within the scope of practice that MA's are not allowed to perform.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Not paid for time off
Internship at University of Montana gained me entrance to data entry
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTApril 15, 2018
In my last semester of college, I had an opportunity to work with a professor in entering data for communication studies department to present to the faculty at the end of the semester. This was mainly an independent position for me to learn how to input data into excel and learn how to use statistics for this kind of work. While this was a refresher course for me, I had some challenges in gathering as much data as I can, and some of the data were difficult in knowing what the person wrote and what grade level they were in. Regardless, it was a great experience knowing how to data entry for a department.
Pros
Work with professor, independency
Cons
Temporary job
Part - Time Summer job
Help Desk Technician/Moodle Consultant (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTMarch 14, 2018
Part time position at the helpdesk. Nothing very special, good relationships made, and connections made. No regrets, ignore the politics and bureaucratic environment of a public institution and you will have a good supplemental income.
relaxed and relatively laid back
Archaeologist (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTMarch 7, 2018
Work in the field and office were both enjoyable. I found the most enjoyable part of work being in the field and the adventures that included. I learned many things about overseeing federal projects and leading civilian crews in a variety of regions in the United States.
Pros
Great benefits and relaxed work environment
Cons
No further advancement
Graduate Student Job Review
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTJanuary 26, 2018
This position paid more than other positions offered during the application process. The program requirements enabled interdisciplinary collaboration. In general, the environment fostered interdisciplinary collaboration.
Great manager
University of Montana Chemistry Lab (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJanuary 18, 2018
My manager was a great guy and always good for a laugh. He was a relaxed boss and easy to get along with. I never had any problems with working at the University of Montana.
Supportive
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  MTJanuary 13, 2018
Good academic group. Student success was a high priority, and my students felt comfortable and encouraged to seek learning opportunities. Long hours not good pay, but rewarding work.
Fun work environment
Banner Security & Approval Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTJanuary 10, 2018
Security and Approval Coordinator providing excellent customer service for all multi-campus users of the U of M Banner Finance Module. Functions include establishing new accounts, setting up Form/Fund/Organizational Code securities and maintaining the approval queue system. Knowledge of various software programs associated with the State Interface process, UM Mainframe system, VMS commands/editors, Banner/PeopleSoft accounting structure and processes is required. Duties include process development, analysis, troubleshooting and testing of Banner and Peoplesoft, downloading, coding and coordination of daily financial transactions, multi-campus data entry and edit resolution.
Pros
Lots to do on the campus, games are fun, exercise facility available
Cons
Low pay
Senior Caller (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTNovember 28, 2017
The University of Montana is a great employer and will help you achieve your professional goals. They were really kind and caring and wanted to make sure you made it.
Tutored in the MLC
Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTNovember 28, 2017
The MLC is an incredible place to learn and to tutor. I really enjoyed my supervisor and I would recommend both working in and utilizing the MLC at the University of Montana.
Sports
Intermual referee (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTNovember 27, 2017
A great place to work for students, very laid back but makes you have to work hard in order to be successful. The people you work with often become your close friends.
As an Adjunct Professor I enjoyed teaching college students to prepare them for the work force.
Adjunct Professor, Records Management (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTNovember 26, 2017
As an Adjunct Professor teaching information management as a science with known levels of performance standards, tools, and desired outcomes, it gave feelings of satisfaction in transferring knowledge to a new generation of professionals.
Pros
Flexible hours, great work environment and associations
Cons
No guarantee of long term employment due to nature of industry
Best College Job, Hands Down
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTOctober 19, 2017
I worked as a custodian at the University of Montana and it was the best work experience I've had so far. Managers are amazing and the team you work with are great. It's not difficult work and the hours are later which attracted me to the job in the first place. They are very understanding! As a college student, so many things come up and change and they were able to work with my schedule. I cannot express how much I wished I applied earlier.
Pros
Breaks, flexible scheduling, amazing coworkers and atmosphere
Cons
If you don't like to work evening/night shifts
Lack of pay and reward results in high turnover
Annual Giving Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTOctober 10, 2017
A great place to begin a career, however the pay was not worth the expected workload for employees in a highly competitive environment. Leadership is good, but the wage gap is excessive. Great place to learn, network and understand the inner workings of a University Foundation. Important, rewarding work.
Awesome University
UM Food Zoo, Dining room Helper/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTOctober 4, 2017
The University of Montana is one of the best in the country. Teachers are so friendly and great. Great food for the students at the school, including dorms where there are good rooms at a reasonable price.
Great Law/ Media Arts and Pharmacy Schools, Terrible University Administration
Adj. Faculty/ Program Coordinator/ Pro. Staff (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTSeptember 28, 2017
Many individual programs at the University of Montana are supportive and great places to work. The University as a whole does not value staff and treats them as disposable. When faced with millions of dollars in short fall the university cut 9 dollar and hour custodial jobs rather than look at bloated departments. One woman I supervised was told at a review for a raise that while she had more tasks to do than any one person could accomplish she was not being advanced because she did not have enough responsibilities. Her job is what it is and after fifteen years she was not promoted because of the wording of her job description.
Cons
The whole place is built on the value of faculty and administration over students and staff
i loved this experience
Disability Student Services- proctor (Current Employee) –  Missoula, MTSeptember 21, 2017
trump will build a wall. if youre brown. youll be deproted. wrong wrong. bing bing bing. words are hard. she just dropped a thing omg omg omg drugs are bad kids
An internship
IT Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTSeptember 15, 2017
As an internship with the help desk, it was a very underwhelming place to work. The work was very slow and typically never challenging, and there was a lot of micromanaging.
Fun workplace
Food Assistant (Former Employee) –  montanaSeptember 10, 2017
Was a great place to work, working in a completely different environment I loved. Also learnt a lot about customer service and how to interact with people from all cultures.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
great place to work
CAMPUS RECREATION FACILITIES STUDENT STAFF (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTSeptember 5, 2017
UM's FRC was an easygoing, pleasant, and flexible part-time work environment. I learned several valuable skills during my time there, like customer assistance, making sales, and using our point of sale software.
Pros
Convenient location for me at the time
Cons
N/a