University of Nebraska Medical Center
57Below average

University of Nebraska Medical Center Employee Reviews

United States332 reviews
All hard working people
Easy to learn when you are around medical professionals who are looking to teach and pass knowledge along to those who they oversee. Really enjoyed being able to work at my own pace, too.
Pros
work at your own pace
Cons
unpaid
Dead End Job
If you love not being able to advance in your career and love being in a dead end job, you have come to the right place ! The department does not care about you, all they want are warm bodies.
Try it. You will like it.
I have worked at UNMC Department of Public Safety over 5 years. I have seriously considered leaving in order to earn more money and advance in my career. I've turned down offers though because nothing compares.

The department has changed a lot, especially in the last couple of years. Some love it. Others hate it. I have loved it, but you be the judge.

We have seen:

- New uniforms (we now look professional).

- Increased training.

- New equipment (vehicles and other safety items).

- New expectations of professionalism.

- Administration listen and alter many of our tasks based on our suggestions.

- Favoritism die and we all now get a chance.

- The haters and department bullies leave (there are still a couple, but it's a matter of time).

Hospital and university staff seem to notice too. Many of us hear it when they thank us for our part in the change.
Pros
Benefits, ability to move shifts, never bored
Cons
Pay
Premier Research Labs in NE
My time as a researcher at UNMC was filled with skill development and personal growth. The Eppley Structural Biology Facility was staffed by an absolutely wonderful team of research scientists and students. A variety of scientific projects were managed and supported by a very sharp and talented laboratory manager and principal investigator. Most goals expanded the basic science behind molecules of particular impact in the human body and provided needed groundwork for further advancement in the structural biology field.
Pros
Educational Seminars, Diverse Benefits program
Utter disappointment!
It used to be a decent department until management/admin made drastic changes without really valuing their officer’s opinions/first hand experiences. Too political now, less about you and more about them.
Pros
State benefits, the people you engage with
Cons
Pay, management, shortage of officers, incompetent officers with little experience which jeopardize safety, again management, risks are not compensated for
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Lack of Culture
I was always prepared to help out and go above and beyond my job description to help out my colleagues. However while working here it was expected of you to do it every time. Then of course would want you to do more. Lead Nurses were not much help with concerns of being exhausted, over-worked, camaraderie, or location of need materials to perform job correctly.
Ignorant Management
You will be overworked and underpaid. Annual "Performance Raises" barely cover cost of living. You will be asked to deal with drug addicts and mentally unstable patients constantly with no back up or support. You will be asked to transport deceased patients, including newborns and children, to the morgue. Your management and training will be inadequate and out of touch with how hospital security actually works. Draconian "professionalism" standards (facial hair and tattoos) will be enforced despite law enforcement and medical staff, working in the same areas, are not held to the same standards. Due to gross mismanagement, overtime has been banned by said management. Recent hires have only made the job more unsafe for both security and medical staff. Run from this job. Run far and run fast.
Pros
When, not if, when you get hurt, you're already in the hospital
Cons
Management, leadership, training, everything
Productive and great place to work
Productive and great place to work. Great benefits. Workplace culture is excellent. All employees enjoy the work. Recommend to anyone wanting to move here.
Depressing
The wheels are falling off of the wagon. Morale is at an all time low. New command staff has made it an unsafe work environment by dropping minimum staffing to a number that will lead to someone getting hurt. I don’t know how staff, patients, and visitors are supposed to feel safe coming to the campus when the security staff in place to keep people safe, don’t feel safe themselves. Don’t waste your time applying if you have a soul.
Fast paced major medical system
Fast paced discharge planning. Patients as commodity-while important to discharge as quickly as possible, medical system (interdisciplinary teams) as a whole do not understand the amount of work that goes on with discharge planning.
No flexibility in work schedule. System celebrates employees coming into work sick.

Little to no support from management.

On the bright side social workers are an amazing part of the organization and support each other. Amazing relationships built between social workers and outside agencies for discharge planning services.
Good work atmosphere
If you want boring place to work this is a good place,the people is working here because the living cost in Omaha is very affordable, I think is the only reason.
Work with the best
It was an honor to work with the best and brightest clinicians who strive to heal patients and not only care for them, but their families as well. While hiring the best and brightest medical professionals, these professionals don't simply rest on their laurals, but continue to strive to learn more and to support and teach each other.
Pros
Supportive
Abandon ship
The security Dept. At UNMC was once great, but that all changed after a quick regime change. Tattoos and beards were banned, the uniform is a terrible polyester button down where you are constantly replacing buttons because you have to battle violent patients every other day, the min staffing was dropped from down to just 9 officers on shift and you will be dispatched to violent patient calls with only 1 other officer to back you up and the ones they have hired lately are not capable of defending themselves let alone helping you or the nurses, in the last month 15% of the department has abandoned ship and hr and department leadership act like nothing is wrong. Take my advice and steer clear
Very great place to work
I loved working here it was the best job ive had to date. I learned so much while working there, my mentors were very helpful and allowed me to grow as an individual.
Great!
Overall it’s great experience working here. The environment is really nice! Just winter is too long... I love the new building! And people are nice here too
Department merging
Department going thru a management change, not sure what the future holds. The current direction it’s heading tends me to believe that the safety department will no longer be a place of long term employment.
I enjoyed my position with UNMC very much
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping those who called in with maintenance problems and follow through with the call so the issue would be resolved.
Pros
I enjoy working with people
Cons
I was let go because of State of NE budget cut (after 8 yrs)
Employee satisfaction
If your younger and just starting out you’ve got it made. If your closer to retirement age, benefits aren’t being updated to include you. The same goes for salary advancements. These are geared to the younger generation and the long time employees are excluded. Long term employees aren’t rewarded for their commitment and knowledge. Younger ideas welcomed. Quantity over quality.
Very diverse patient population
Infinite opportunities to learn about and connect with people of diversity cultures and environments to provide a compassionate and healing experience
The management here is a bit rough. She is only focused on work. She doesn't really care about home life she just cares if you are at work. She expects me to be 100% error-free 4 months into my work time. It is quite stressful. I also did not get the best training.
N/a
To be able to support the achievements of the UNMC community is a privilege that allows for personal and professional growth. They also have welcoming staff and faculty that make the things easy.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Nebraska Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
3.0Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
University of Nebraska Medical Center Reviews by Location