Try it. You will like it.
I have worked at UNMC Department of Public Safety over 5 years. I have seriously considered leaving in order to earn more money and advance in my career. I've turned down offers though because nothing compares.
The department has changed a lot, especially in the last couple of years. Some love it. Others hate it. I have loved it, but you be the judge.
We have seen:
- New uniforms (we now look professional).
- Increased training.
- New equipment (vehicles and other safety items).
- New expectations of professionalism.
- Administration listen and alter many of our tasks based on our suggestions.
- Favoritism die and we all now get a chance.
- The haters and department bullies leave (there are still a couple, but it's a matter of time).
Hospital and university staff seem to notice too. Many of us hear it when they thank us for our part in the change.
Benefits, ability to move shifts, never bored