University of Nebraska Management reviews

A good place to work
Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEDecember 4, 2018
A nice place, but very cookie cutter. Perfect for someone who wants clear expectations and very clear direction, but those who want a bit more flexibility should take that into consideration.
Lack of communication
Athletic Coach (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 29, 2018
Lack of communication; expectations not conveyed. Too many levels/burocracy- a bunch of administrators, each of whom tried to do too many things. All the AD’s don’t even know the HC’s names.
Environmental Services department in disarray
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 19, 2018
I can only speak for the environmental services department. It is a joke and it is truly chaotic. Employees are treated like numbers and their voices are not heard. They are often left confused by their duties. Supervisors are micromanaged and left confused by conflicting instructions. Good work goes unnoticed, and mistakes are harped on. Many employees complain that they feel harrassed by management. The benefits are great but the compensation for custodians is lacking, and the hours are not ideal. The rest of the campus appears to be a very political and shady place.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
You are expendable
Organic Chemistry Lab Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 18, 2018
The short of it is that you are an expendable resource. You will be consumed by this place. You will get no support, management will never take your side, and discrimination is rampant.
The University is high-quality, however the Computer Science department has some severe management issues at the time I was employed there
Associate Professor (tenured) (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 23, 2018
Computer Science department worked on diverse teaching and research topics, and were quite successful in some areas. The Political milieu was typical of a University department, but it was pretty easy to focus on work with little interference with politics. There was a sever leadership void with the department chair the last few years I was there that caused a number of resignations, churn, unpleasant meetings, and overall poor working atmosphere. This was unusual, though, both in my experience from previous years and years after I left the department.
Pros
Independent working environment, stimulating technical work, good interaction with students, particularly graduate students
Cons
Administration increasingly want to exert control over faculty, causing a rise in unpleasant politics
Great way to see how kids process information
Camp Counselor for youth STEM type (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 14, 2018
Very good support from the staff and management and continuity of expectations. I like the daily format and the depth of knowledge of the staff. The venue is perfect for the different experiences the students are allowed to try.
Pros
I like the high degree of student safety that is experienced
Cons
I think lunch time is hectic but I don't have an opinion on how to make it less.
Beneficial to every part of me
Peer Educator (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEFebruary 26, 2018
The atmosphere created by HPO at Nebraska Medicine allowed me to grow as a person. They genuinely care for their employees and foster their pillars through the care they show their employees.
Loved my job
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 9, 2017
I enjoy working with students, parents, and other co-workers. I have excellent customer service skills as well as effective stress management in dealing with parent/student concerns. The work place is pleasant & enjoyable. I appreciate the various types of co-workers in Housing and feel the contribution we make in higher ed is definitely a life changer.
just work
Custodial II (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 23, 2017
Get keys and clean your own section of floors within the university buildings and properties. Management was poor with communications. You get a cost of living raise every year and a discount on credits per hour if you attend the university.
Not good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 12, 2017
The hours weren't good. The pay wasn't that good and it was outside. The management was good they were kind and flexible. The employees were helpful..
fufilling work helping teens with education
Math and science tutor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 24, 2017
This job had me working at 2 different high schools around the Lincoln area tutoring low income students in math and science. The Upward Bound program is doing great things and I am happy to have been a part of it for the short time I worked with them. This work had me conducting both individual and group tutoring sessions.
Pros
fun atmosphere, good management, fulfilling work
Cons
low pay, low hours
Experience depends on your position
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NESeptember 15, 2017
As a grad student here, I thought the pay was low, but still quite competitive with the national average. Management was all over the place, often completely absent, and other times very "in-your-face".
Productive learning experience
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 21, 2017
The UNO Student Affairs office allowed me to implement my leadership and managerial experience. I was able to expand these two aspects of my work ethic while working at UNO.
Pros
Freedom to explore numerous avenues of solutions towards issues on the campus
Cons
Some of my employees were younger than me, so I had to operate at a slower pace at times.
politicsare more important than work performance
Nebraska Statewide Arboretum-Financial Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 23, 2017
wonderful program and people other than supervisors who are only concerned with their own job security and promote a culture where lying is an accepted behavior and anyone who tells the truth gets punished if it doesn't follow their current political goals.
They are very resistant to change even though change would increase accuracy and efficiency. Supervisors are too afraid that they may make a mistake so always prefer to stick with the status quo, even when it means the business processes are 10-20 years behind the private sector.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no performance rewards or acknowledgement-politics are too important
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 22, 2017
This is a very good place to work. The management is kind and appreciate when you work hard. The coworkers are good and relate-able people, which makes it a great place to work. I would highly recommend working here.
Nepotism
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 3, 2017
Enjoyed the students, visitors and employees.
In my opinion most departments were micromanaged and very little recognition. Good employees do not last too long. Revolving hiring door at times.

Much nepotism shown.
Everybody for themselves
Director (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJanuary 11, 2017
Management is basically everyone for themselves since all of the state budget cuts. Very flexible hours. Benefits are Okay.
Pros
flexible hours
Imbalanced management, always changing
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEOctober 9, 2016
Personnel and management typically perform the minimum to get through each day, never miss a break, and would never make it in the private sector.
Great jobs for benefits
Dining Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJuly 13, 2016
This is for the Dining Service job, its a great place to work if you want great benefits. It's an easy place to work too, if you don't mind being on your feet for 8 hours. You'll learn how to make foods you might not have made before yourself and some foods are easy and others take some time to make. The Management is okay. It all depends which dining hall you work at and the co-workers are okay as well. Some learn to grow up and quit acting like they in Jr. HIgh. The hardest part about the job is if you can get past those certain co-workers.the most enjoyable part is making new friends with the good co-workers and knowing you made some amazing food and seeing the college students take more of what you made.
Benefits
Cons
Co-workers that act like jr. highers
Productive place
Research Technologist III (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 26, 2016
This is an ideal place to work. I have been working here for more than 13 years and got my Masters degree in the process. There is room for improvement for themanagement. I enjoyed interacting with my co-workers. Good benefits.