University of Nevada Las Vegas Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
productive
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 1, 2018
The English department at UNLV seeks to be pioneering in teaching English language and literature, as it combines theory with practice, exactly as it combines originality with modernism, which contributes to enriching human civilization and activating cross-cultural dialogue.
Unlv alum
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 27, 2018
So I'm biased.

UNLV is a great school. Offers scholarship and other financial aid opportunities and advertise events that allow students to network with real companies and businesses.

UNLV may have a reputation as a party school due to its proximity to the strip, but this is not the case.
Minimum Room for Advancement
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 26, 2018
You get pigeon-holed in various colleges and departments without being able to move up/around it's a VERY "Who you know" environment. Management has grand ideas without wanting to spend the money, do the work, or offer the support. LOTS of presidency flip-flopping and shady dealings.
Benefits
Cons
Hard to move up
Co-workers are always available to assist you with anything.
Las Vegas, Nevada Full Time (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 25, 2018
I enjoyed my time at UNLV. I enjoyed working with everyone and really miss being there. I felt that the health insurance was awful, but other than that it was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Health Insurance was not so good as other government agencies.
Fun and informative but stressful and inconsistent hours.
Undergraduate Sports Marketing Internship (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 11, 2018
Interned here for sports marketing years ago. A majority of the people that I worked with quit when a new AD was hired. Interacting with coaches and athletes was interesting as well as helping run any in-game promotions and events.
Pros
On campus and sports related (fun)
Cons
No pay, inconsistent hours and stressful
Mutually beneficial
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 31, 2017
As an undergraduate student, especially if you have work study, you will find many jobs open to you on campus.

I chose to work for a geophysics professor. I was paid relatively well given my lack of experience. But more importantly I gained valuable experience and learned much.

If you are in one of the STEM fields I must highly recommend that you work as a research assistant for one of your professors.
Pros
flexible hours
Janitorial
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 27, 2017
Clean floors, bathrooms, library, class room offices ect. Not much to cleaning and dusting moping and buffing waxing floors wiping railing for dust and cleaning widows. Very simple job not much money
Good workplace
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 20, 2017
I worked as a TA at electrical engineering department and I had a nice experience. The people I worked around were very gentle and helpful. I have gathered good memories at UNLV.
Too much work two individuals going through school at the same time
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 19, 2017
A typical day at work involved keeping up to date on media for undergraduate microbiology laboratory sections. Reinforcement of aseptic technique learned from class sections becomes a critical exercise in an actual work atmosphere.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Interesting environment with different cultures.
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 10, 2017
On a daily basis, my duties would be consisted of data entry in relation to laserfische. Staff would gather to interact at lunch to better know understand each other. Management skills are superb. I would not consider any part of the job to be difficult. That is, we were taught something new each and every day. Though there were deadlines, we managed to work as a team to reach the goals.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
Mandatory that wee took lunch-break.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 9, 2017
Worked on my own to complete assigned stations. Management was always helpful and very personable. Students included custodial staff in some of their activities like bar-b-ques.
Pros
Could take classes for free up to 6 hours a semester.
Cons
Overall experience was positive.
Great environment
Student Athlete (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 18, 2017
Large campus with 30+ thousand students. Life time memories and amazing experiences. I have enjoyed my time here as a student-athlete and I will be a proud alumni.
No words
Physical Education Instructor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 31, 2017
lack of respect, lack of appreciation, no desire to keep those who truly make a difference, aura of apathy, HR services are not there for the employee, non-supportive of instructors...and yes I feel I could go on. Sadly, I am not the only instructor in this program that feels this way. Many of them do, which is why the program lost one it's most talented individual and the students lost an amazing instructor and I have heard that another one is thinking of leaving. One the students love dearly and talk about often.
Pros
The students
Cons
pretty much everything else
Flexible
Tutor/Mentor/Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 6, 2017
This a great place to work for in cases of flexibility, stability, job security, and professional advancement. I would definitely recommend this institution to work.
Pros
flexible
A very routine job
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 4, 2017
You work a set schedule and are always guaranteed your 40 hours plus overtime if needed. Health benefits and 401 k is provided and you have your own assigned station which is good for being able to set goals throughout your work week. The one major downfall was my creepy shift manager. He would appear at random times and follow me around while I worked and harrass me. Other then that the job was decent.
Pros
health benefits, lunch breaks, paid time off, 401 k
Cons
poor management, graveyard shift
Productive and fun workplace
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 1, 2017
Working at UNLV was a great collaborative experience. I had wonderful coworkers, a fair and balanced manager, and an incredible opportunity to engage with people.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
N/a
unlv is a good business school
Volunteering Intern (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 10, 2017
UNLV is an excellent university for business and hospitality. There's an abundance of opportunities for entrepreneurial-like people. Also all around a rapidly growing school with a huge campus.
Pros
very close to las vegas blvd
Cons
may not be the best school for certain academic disciplines
Summer job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 11, 2017
Summer job working with UNLV residential custodians (dorms). basic janitorial tasks such as: sweeping, mopping, waxing, vacuuming, etc. Was a fun job and worked with other students as well
Great opportunity for professional development
FACULTY INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMay 5, 2017
Working for UNLV outreach was a great start to my career in wellness. It offered a schedule chosen by me and I was able to choose which classes I would teach each semester.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement
Cons
A good place for learning at Nevada
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 18, 2017
It is a good place to learn and educate. I have this opportunity to work and research there and get my master's degree. There are funding sources that you can award and become a TA on an RA to support your life.