University of New England

University of New England Employee Reviews

United States72 reviews
Love the people. The campus is beautiful. Wages are very low for staff members. Staff run the departments without being fairly compensated. Benefits are average.
Pros
Kind and considerate people.
Cons
Low wages.
Great benefits and salary but that's about it. University has changed a lot the past 10 years. Moving to more online, which is terrible. Some programs struggling, like the pharmacy program.
The university really supported my development as an intern and allowed me opportunities to grow. The program featured a great balance between helping the company and personally growing.
Sometimes a good place to work Does not pay you too well and has you do a lot of work doesn’t fix machines when they break and doesn’t keep you in one building And makes you go to all Different buildings when you were are doing good in one building people are getting sick of moving to different buildings there
I relocated to Maine to accept a faculty position in the College of Dental Medicine (DMD) I received no introduction to the programs or curriculum. I was asked to direct a program for the D2s and received no guidance or help from Administration or other faculty The faculty culture is one of exclusiveness and cliques. There is no openness to concepts relative to teaching of the disciplines in Dentistry. There is very poor communication neteeen administration and faculty until there is a problem
I found the two years I was on the faculty there to be, unfortunately, a negative experience.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
UNE is a place of learning, and when employed there you continue to learn and bounce ideas off of each other. There is always someone there to help or assist you when you feel stuck.
Friendly boss, a lot of independence. Job was all self learning and support was only present on request. Pushed for students to solve problems on their own.
This was a work-study position that I got through my work in other departments and through my FAFSA financial aid package. I had flexible hours and time and space to complete school work and be an effective employee at the same time which was good.
This is the opposite of a teamwork/collaborative workplace. Know your rights before you take a job here because otherwise they'll walk all over you. What's worse, their faithful employees are rewarded for their years of loyal service with CRIMINALLY low wages - far lower than they hire brand new employees at.
I enjoy working here, but live in Harpswell and want to work closer to home. The staff are really nice. I’ve been working here during the summer too. Cleaning the dorms. This involves dusting. Sweeping, mopping, cleaning the bathrooms, kitchens, living rooms, laundry rooms, and hallways. I work in every building helping others out. My bosses tell me to work my magic and I do :).
The hardest part of my job was the lack of communication. Strong support on hire which dwindled quickly. Enjoyed the school and the students and the compensation was very good!
Too many employees, not enough work. Poor processes and infrastructure, hard to streamline your work. University is consumed by academic elitists and not staff friendly. Not many opportunities for advancement. Benefits do not benefit everyone.
Pros
Job is not hard, generous time off
Cons
Job is not challenging, loss of snow days, employee satisfaction is not a concern, faculty is overpaid, staff is underpaid
going to school here was bad, th university and administration dont really care about individual experiences as long as at the end of the day they still got your money.
Love working there, great colleagues, small office, some management doesn’t last long, pay is not comparable to other organizations, other hidden perks such as gifted holidays, use of of facilities, summer hours, excellent 401k match, health/dental benefits not great.
Management stood in the way of completing work. Items that needed to be taken care would linger for years and no priority was given to helping the university community.
I came here with high hopes. I found a workplace struggling with mediocrity, filled to the brim by people who believe they can’t be fired and act accordingly (HR doesn’t appear to do much but organize fun runs). If you’re self-motivated and want to be with other people who care about their work keep looking. If you want a lifetime job with minimal expectations this is the place to be.

Also make sure to forget about the old academic benefit of having snow days. They don’t grant adequate snow days but they do send guilt trippy emails about why you don’t deserve them. Vacation time? Only if your supervisor approves, and mine wasn’t a fan of time off.

UNE is now in the news for implementing a pay freeze while upper level administrators continue to rake in the cash with their inflated salaries. Overall you’re better off in the private sector where you will be paid more or up the street at USM.
Pros
Benefits are fair
Cons
Pay freeze, incompetent HR, low pay
A typical work day includes managing and overseeing the facility and other employees. During shifts I serve as a link between faculty and patrons and assist patrons with exercise equipment and pertinent questions. In addition this workplace is both student and community member friendly, allowing interactions of all ages. The hardest part of the job is early mornings. However, through this I have learned time management, hospitality skills, and multitasking skills, as well as communication skills as this position requires cooperation with multiple levels of management.

As a Lab Assistant I help other students and professors with lessons and laboratory procedures. This allows for teaching and leadership opportunities. This also requires me to use skills acquired through my own academic career.
Pros
Interactions with multiple types of people
Cons
Odd hours
I take care the daily tasks within the program and faculty. Completing some jobs that are HR detailed to collecting students work and sharing it on education sites. The job in itself is so much better because of the boss I have. She goes up and beyond her job to make sure I am all set and is very understanding when something personal happens.
Pros
Great boss, cafe on site, walking distant to starbucks
Cons
low pay, open office environment, no privacy for conversations
Cleaning offices, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms. Night supervisor follows arounds to keep a eye on me to make sure I am doing my job. I feel like I am in high school she always where I am on the radio and what have I done, why I have not worked with so and so. Asking security to check on me and make sure I am where I say I am. I go in and do my job help my co-workers.
Thoroughly enjoyed working here. Found that management was excellent and supportive. They are progressive and want to see you succeed for mutual benefit. A great place to work.
Pros
supportive atmosphere, benefits, work/life balance
Cons
Upper management has a few issues
The University of great had a lot of fun played sports, and met a lot of nice and interesting people. Challenging not only my academia but my personal goals as well. great set of influences.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New England. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.9
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.1Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight