University of New Hampshire Employee Reviews

Opporrtunity is there but you have to know the right people in order to advance
Director of Military and Veteran Student Services (Current Employee) –  Durham, NH 03824September 8, 2017
On a typical day I manage an office of 3 staff and several students. There are times when all we do is respond to the students who come to us for their military benefits but then there are other times when we are less busy and we can focus on how to improve. I've learned that it can be tough to manage a small staff especially if there are personality differences and workstyle differences. It is frustrating to know how you want things to flow but the people who do the work don't see it the same way. The culture in our office is very tumultuous due to these differences. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the students who use their benefits graduate and go on to a successful career.
Pros
Beautiful campus and many nice benefits
Cons
Leadership doesn't allow mid level managers to make big decisions.
Great Workplace
Transit Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 28, 2017
Cool environment
Fast Paced
A lot of extra work
Management wants you to be on time and in the right uniform
Hardest part is staying motivated and energetic while driving
The workplace is a team feel
Great Place
Athletic Department Administration Intern (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 24, 2017
Amazing work environment with very friendly and helpful coworkers. who all look to support and educate the next person. Very fulfilling and kept me close to my family.
Productive work environment with great management and support
Camp Wildcat Counselor (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 13, 2017
While working at Camp Wildcat for the past two summers, I have learned a great deal of management skills as well as how to use my co-workers as a resource and support system.
Pros
co-workers, friday cook-out, traveling, working with kids
Great Place to Work and Live
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHAugust 7, 2017
The environment is very relaxing and laid back. The people in this area are very friendly and helpful. The scenery is great in the area but the winter is a bit too long.
Excellent Workplace
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHAugust 7, 2017
I thoroughly enjoy working for UNH. It is a professional, fun, and exciting place to work. I highly recommend it.
My supervisor is amazing, and my coworkers are wonderful. Great place to work!
UNH is not the daily grind. It's a place to contribute, share and learn from the best.
Web Designer & Front-End Developer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHJuly 19, 2017
UNH is amazing and matched the job description to a tee. If you're a heads-down, no-gossip worker, it's for you. Work/life balance is excellent and everyone treats you professionally and fairly.

From day one you will feel at home and the quality of work they do is top-notch. Speaking from a design and development point of view, I was extremely impressed by the IT setup/infrastructure and level of "hard-coding" development skill required for each project. No one is watching you over your shoulder, but should you need help, ask and anyone will stop what they are doing to assist.

The department I worked for was small, ran very lean and had project managers that made each day seamless. Project Managers are great at what they do and ours were no exception. The entire management team always has the client's best interest in mind.

Everyone worked well as a team and any timeline or budget issues were addressed efficiently. Areas for improvement were brought to your attention for remedy. They understand mistakes happen and also understand how to show you a better way to do things — a more productive way.

I am forever grateful to the University of New Hampshire family for giving me the opportunity to grow personally and professionally with them.
Pros
Heads-down working environment, distraction free, flexible schedules, library access, free learning resources
Cons
A great job for a student.
Instructor (Academic Years (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJuly 12, 2017
I did not agree with all of their decisions, but they paid me well. I was an instructor and adviser for several years. It was a good experience. I can't complain.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
No job security.
Graduate TA
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHJune 8, 2017
As a TA at UNH I taught both general and physical chemistry labs. Working for the faculty in both of these positions was great. Teaching the labs allowed me to interact with student and help them learn.
Intriguing research under world-renowned professors
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHJune 2, 2017
Hours are difficult to accumulate, as only 2 people are needed for each time slot, and time slots are very scattered, Oftentimes, time slots fell in the middle of classes, so they were not always easy to fit in my schedule. The professor that I worked under was very kind and helpful, and his constituents/grad students were all very knowledgeable. Very relaxed work environment and nice coworkers.
Top notch testing facility
Fast Ethernet Consortium Test Technician (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHMay 25, 2017
I worked at the IOL while I was a student at UNH. It was an awesome experience to interact with vendors from numerous network companies while testing their devices for network interopability and conformance compliance.
UNH is my home away from home, great community and room for growth
Full Time Student (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHMay 22, 2017
I have been able to work for the university in both academic and community settings and I've loved every minute of it. My academic work is attributed to my work as the business school tour guide where I lead potential students and their families through the business school and show them the resources the building has to offer. My community employment at UNH comes from my work as a Residential Assistant in Stoke Hall, which houses 600+ students and I act as a role model for.
Pros
Housing and Meal plan paid for
Cons
Stressful situations, long hours
Quiet work place
Building Monitor (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHMay 8, 2017
Allowed time to do my own work while monitoring student athletes in a library setting. Depending on day, different athletic teams would be louder than others and would need to remove them.
Great location for graduate school, on the edge of genomic and bioinformatics, and diverse faculty
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHMay 4, 2017
UNH has a lot of offer for master's and PhD programs in the field of molecular, cellular, and biomedical sciences. The faculty is diverse with plenty of room to find your own research interests.
Pros
Freedom to create your own project
Cons
Lacks a lot of structure
Great Campus
Information Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHMay 2, 2017
Such a great school. The atmosphere is always great here. My job is at the center of campus therefore I get to interact with many different people all the time.
Great students but work
Tennis Team Coach (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHApril 25, 2017
This will feel like no work at all if this is your only position but adding this on top of your full time job is a lot on your plate. It's on average a 10-12 hours a week commitment plus at least a tournament a month that is a full day.
Pros
great students, traveling
Cons
more time than anticipated
Very interesting and exciting opportunity
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  DurhaApril 24, 2017
This was an unpaid summer internship. I was able to learn a lot from my mentors and will forever be grateful for the opportunity. I was able to assist in research and learn more about other individuals research in the lab.
Great to work for as a student
Cartographer/Researcher (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHMarch 11, 2017
As a student employed by the University, I was happy with the work that I was given and the opportunity that I had to further myself as a researcher and cartographer.
Good place to work, if you don't mind bureaucracy
Bus Boy (Former Employee) –  Durham, NHMarch 1, 2017
Working at the New England center was a good first job to have, but since the people in control of the restaurant's operation were part of the University of New Hampshire and didn't actually work at the restaurant themselves management could come off as a little impersonal. Especially since any changes that were made were rarely discussed with anyone but the highest echelon of the staff members.
Pros
Free Meals, Beautiful Building/Location
Cons
Impersonal Management
Information Technology Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHFebruary 27, 2017
This place is an all around a great place to work at. VERY nice benefit package and good reimbursement for the work requirements. Good work to life balance and overall very pleasant people to interact with.
Pros
You name it
Cons
I really cannot think of any...