University of New Mexico Employee Reviews

To many contractor we 3 other food service contacts
Executive Chef/Food and Beverage Director (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 19, 2018
Over all unm has good benefits for unm employees, but I worked for a company compass group. When you have 3 different companies iall together it tends to get a little heact.
Pros
Cons
Lunch break only
helped to prepare me for the real world
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 18, 2018
My internship working at UNM gave me the opportunity to take what I learned in class and apply it to real projects at a large scope. I was able to network with peers and professors and it helped me in my efforts to find a job after graduation.
Difficult place to write grants for funding given that the grant itself was not reviewed by advisor.
Adjunct Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 18, 2018
My advisor gave me little or no help in preparing a grant for funding. In addition, I never felt part of the department of biology or mathematics, which made it more difficult to get advice on grant preparation.
Pros
Cons
No help or advice given in preparing a grant
Great
English Instructor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 10, 2018
UNM is a great place to teach. The environment is welcoming and collaborative. The students are wonderful. New Mexico is a terrific state in which to live and work.
Lacking the right management
Training Support Analyst, CHW Team (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 10, 2018
The organization could be so much better if it had better middle and upper management. The organization is turning a new leaf and moving towards a value-based approach of operations and maybe in time, those values will start to be placed into practice.
Work place with a nice atmosphere
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 2, 2018
I enjoyed working at the School of Law and was given opportunities to advance. Classes were offered to help as a teaching aide. I also like the fact that I could attend classes at the University and my dependents could as well.
Great place! Long hours!
Assistant Athletic Director (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 2, 2018
All administrators were exempt! Meaning the Athletic department could work you 24/7 while being a salary employee! I loved the University setting. I loved the college environment but had a hard time being married and on call to address athletic concerns 24/7 but other than that, great job with great benefits!
Pros
Benefits, encironment, student athletes
Cons
Working demands!
School of Medicine
Standardized Patient (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 30, 2018
This job is so fun, I wish there were more hours. Acting / role playing being a patient for medical, nursing, and pharmacy students is fun and rewarding. Management is understanding as long as a line of communication is open.
Daily Accounting Work
Accountant II (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 29, 2018
Review and approve expenditure documents. Reconcile depository
accounts. Enjoyed working for my Supervisors and getting to
know upper management. Employee moral was pretty good.
Really enjoyed working at the different departments on campus.
Pros
Enjoyed all my jobs at UNM
Cons
Had to transfer departments to get promoted.
Such a great university with terrific colleagues
Faculty advisor for Blue Mesa Review (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 29, 2018
I can't say enough about the amazing work culture and environment at UNM. Great students, great teachers, wonderful place to be. I had a temporary position there.

Want to know more about University of New Mexico?

Ask a question
Typical day at work
Parking Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 22, 2018
This was a while back. Came in at 8:30 am and worked until 5:30 pm. Started the day off saling permit for different parking lot around the UNM campus.
UNM was a good employer
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 21, 2018
I worked in the university as a student. I worked both in the Museum of Southwestern biology and as a TA and as a Research Assistant. working with the university provides excellent experience for the future.
Fun and energizing atmosphere
Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 20, 2018
The athletic department was a great family atmosphere with a lot of energy and support. I really enjoyed working with the women's basketball program and attending the Men's basketball games.
Pros
Being on the sidelines at football games
Cons
the desert
Great College
Office Manager, Department of Teacher Education (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 13, 2018
I spent a lot of time here working to further one departments agenda and ability to work with students. It was a great experience and a great learning opportunity for the workings of an organization within an organization.
Flexible schedules for students and chances to gain applicable career skills
Clerical Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 3, 2018
The scheduling is very flexible, job transferring is painless, jobs provide real-world experience and career skills in various industries. All of my supervisors and co-workers were friendly, helpful, and wanted you to succeed.
Fun and relaxing
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMJuly 27, 2018
Show up to lab and get assignments for the day. clean and maintain labs. Help instructors with paperwork. Prepare lab assignments for student. Tutor students when needed.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Doing dishes
Growth Position
Research Assistant, Instructor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 24, 2018
Flexible Assignments. guide Graduate Students. Create new research areas. Research teaching writing briefing and programming opportunities. Multi department working groups
Great opportunity and great workplace
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 12, 2018
I had the pleasure of working with UNM's Communication and Marketing Department. It was a great office environment and the position allowed me to gain experience in areas I wouldn't have other wise.
Overall very flexible place to work
Coordinator of Education Support (Former Employee) –  1634 UniversityJuly 12, 2018
Not much room for movement
Enjoyable clients and coworkers
Accrue leave very fast
Reasonable Pay
A lot to learn with proper guidance
Overall very flexible place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistants and Adjuncts work hard and should be paid more
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 11, 2018
Overall, the department was supportive of its graduate teaching students, but the school and the university should look at paying graduate students a living wage for the work they do. It's helpful to have insurance and tuition benefits. More professional development wold also be helpful, but there are opportunities for recognition.

Adjunct instructors also need to be recognized as part of the department, provided with more opportunities, and afforded a living wage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New Mexico. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight