University of New Mexico Employee Reviews

Overall very flexible place to work
Coordinator of Education Support (Former Employee) –  1634 UniversityJuly 12, 2018
Not much room for movement
Enjoyable clients and coworkers
Accrue leave very fast
Reasonable Pay
A lot to learn with proper guidance
Overall very flexible place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistants and Adjuncts work hard and should be paid more
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 11, 2018
Overall, the department was supportive of its graduate teaching students, but the school and the university should look at paying graduate students a living wage for the work they do. It's helpful to have insurance and tuition benefits. More professional development wold also be helpful, but there are opportunities for recognition.

Adjunct instructors also need to be recognized as part of the department, provided with more opportunities, and afforded a living wage.
Department faculty & staff highly motivated in support of students development.
Instructor (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 30, 2018
A typical days work always begin with strong interaction with students. This interaction allowing me to develop a stronger and more appropriate class program design to meet their needs. My first few years introduced me to a management style consisting of a lot of interaction between faculty, staff and students in making decisions that effects students development.

The workspace also encourages more interaction between staff and colleagues in creating a relaxing environment that welcomes student participation and interaction with others, including parents.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is defiantly the interaction with student in assisting them in realizing their goals and achieving them, while, the hardest but the most beautiful part, is to see the move on to finish out their dream.
Pros
Having close communication with staff and faculty and students.
Cons
Not having more time to work with students while getting paid.
Workstudy
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 29, 2018
Always great to have people work with your school schedule and know that you have certain times that are more stressful than others. I am always happy to be in a library with extremely intelligent coworkers.
Cares about patients but doesn't really care about retaining nurses.
RN Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 26, 2018
Over all UNMH has better respect for nursing in that it has a contract that allows representation if employees feel they are not treated fairly by management. The hospital has a mission to serve the community that it believes in. The senior leadership of the surgical services is out of touch with the functions and challenges of the outpatient surgery PACU and has unrealistic expectations of the staff. Work life balance is not valued for the PACU nurses. Mission Excellence is a program with good merits that encourages staff and patient satisfaction but the surgical senior leadership doesn't really value it or follow suggestions recommended.
Pros
Reimbursement for certification. Career advancement program.
Cons
No consideration for years of experience in leadership if no bachelor's degree.
Great University
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 17, 2018
Very nice university for your graduate & undergraduate degrees.
The three reasons to come to UNM would be to take advantage of the great programs offered here, next to meet new people and lastly to take advantage of the graduate program.
Poor Management, positive work environment
IT Field Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 15, 2018
Happy to work around the fellow employees, but management treats employees poorly, job descriptions are intentionally left vague, and the work done is shared among all employees regardless of job description. FTE is compromised.
Pros
Free food
Work-Study
Learning Commons Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMJune 13, 2018
There were some hiccups during my time working, but the current standings, at the time of my leave, appeared to be heading in a positive direction. I quite enjoyed the flexibility with my schedule corresponding to my courses, and collaborating with fellow work-study students to effectively promote a welcoming and helpful environment. I would've continued working there if not for the requirement of being a student there for work-study.
Pros
Reasonable hours with flexibility, and an exceptional supervisor.
Cons
Limited hours.
school
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 12, 2018
I enjoy learning from the professors there. I am going to further advance my knowledge in accounting to obtain a good job that i can support my family with.
Pros
knowledge
Cons
takes a long time
UNM is ok to work for if you don't mind little pay and lots of work
Financial Aid Officer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 6, 2018
Overall, UNM is ok, needs improvement on management and overall restructuring of Enrollment Management. Enrollment Management has a double standard, they let some employees get away with whatever they want and they snap the reins on other employees. Management needs to be evaluated and revamped!
Pros
Christmas week off
Cons
Poor Management, lack of communication, poor pay, no raises.

Want to know more about University of New Mexico?

Ask a question
University of New Mexico
Medical Coding Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJune 5, 2018
This business paid their employees well and also provided excellent benefits for their employees. They also offered long-term leave of absences for those who need it and will bring you back on board after the leave of absence.
Student Employment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 31, 2018
Great place to be employed as a student. Schedules were flexible due to student schedules (part or full time). Was able to work in between class time.
Good Opportunity
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 28, 2018
My time working for UNM allowed me to better myself as a teacher, and gave me ample opportunities to work with students of differing age and goals. I really enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and being able to tailor the students lessons in the way I wanted to.
ite nice
Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Valencia, NMMay 27, 2018
its nice. They really make you feel at home. I was taken care of and had an amazing time working here. I only lefte because I was no longer a student and didnt qualify for work study anymore.
Pros
great management
Cons
Sometime hours aren't fully there
Great work enviroment
Senior Military Science Instructor for Army ROTC (Current Employee) –  ABQ, NMMay 25, 2018
UNM is a great place to work and the staff is very helpful. I felt like they supported the Army Rotc not just financial but they provided great academics support for our cadets helping our cadets to graduate on time
Do not tell the truth
SYSTEMS ANALYST II (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 23, 2018
Excellent job opportunity, however, if you had any issues with management there was no recourse and you end up losing your position. Co-workers are great; wonderful environment; great students.
Pros
Work environment.
Good Work Study Experience
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 23, 2018
It was a fun and laid back experience.
I assisted professors and worked in the equipment cage checking equipment in and out to students.
They worked with my schedule and gave me good hours,
Unm
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 23, 2018
I loved my job working at UNMH but advancement was very competitive. Compensation was average. Job culture can be difficult within the units. Good job security
Diverse Culture to work with
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Valencia, NMMay 23, 2018
UNM great place to work with diverse faculty, staff and students. Everyone is willing to help and the opportunity to continue your education is part of your benefit package.
Pros
Overall culture, management and atmosphere great.
Cons
Difficult to get promoted to higher grade. Budget setbacks eliminate salary increases.
Competitive faculty, really good weather, low-price city.
Post-doctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 22, 2018
The city of Albuquerque is nice place to live. Weather is really nice, the city has beautiful scene of sky with Sandia Mt. Not many traffic jam. Population density is low. Many of faculties of UNM are really nice and competitive. Administration staffs have kindness but sometimes paperwork is delayed, and inaccurately conducted.
Environmental support is very good for research engineers. So many competitive post-docs are willing to co-work with you. People living in here is very kind and relaxed. It seems like they don't have much concern and job ositions are everywhere. Sandia national lab is here, and Los Alamos national lab is close to here, many research projects are ongoing with UNM.
Pros
Nice weather, low-price city, relaxed mind people
Cons
bad security, far from major job sites (big city)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New Mexico. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight