University of New Mexico Employee Reviews

Great Beni's, lower pay
Sr. Financial Service Tech (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 17, 2018
The university as a whole is a good place to work for with benefits, specifically with holiday pay, winter break, vacation and sick. The downfall is that there had not been any increases for years. In the four yrs in my last position, I received a 1% raise along with everyone else. I took home less pay when I left vs. when I had started.
Benefits
Cons
Pay for parking and other facilities that you will not use.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 17, 2018
Great team-working environment with a lot of support and collaboration. Many opportunities to work with others but also responsible for daily tasks and helping out where necessary.
Tutoring Position Leads to Great Skill Development
CRLA Certified Mathematics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 13, 2018
There are slow days and fast days, this typically mirrors the exam schedule of the university or college. This can make it difficult as a student employee since there are personal exams and projects that need to be worked on but you're busy helping others with their stuff. But this is not too bad as long as you can master time management skills and keep things organized in your schedule. There is not "typical day" as a tutor, each day is pretty different from the next. The drop in layout of the centers is a great aspect of the job, though when the area is full with student you have to stand the whole time. Taught me great skills in active listening, patience, how to develop and run workshops, as well as problem solving (both mathematics based and human based).
Pros
The fellow tutors and the staff of the center are great to work with, everyone learns from everyone.
Cons
Often made to help with a topic that skills were not strong in, causing anxiety and annoyance for both parties.
College where I obtained by degree
Student (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 12, 2018
Excellent University. Very respected in the University communities and offered science related courses not very common to Eastern Universities. Excellent physical training facilities and an exceptional library.
Good benefits and good people to work with
Advanced Practice Provider (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 11, 2018
Great staff and faculty to work with. I do miss working with the awesome physicians and the continuity of care to our patients. Job is demanding, but rewarding.
Productive work in optical lab
Postdoctoral Associate (Advisor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 11, 2018
Working in a optical lab is kind of difficult. Especially the dark environment is not good for my eyes, and the adjustment for optical path takes very long time everyday.
Enjoyable
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 5, 2018
Travel between offices was 40% of position. Goals and objective made it difficult to enjoy position to the fullest. Personnel turnover was difficult for consistent staffing.
Pros
Work Environmennt
Cons
Work hours and meeting grant objectives
Best work place
Resident (Former Employee) –  UNM, NMApril 5, 2018
Best people in the world. no RACISM or hatred. Everone loves their work. Friendly environment. no issues during 2 years. wish I could go back and work again.
Great place to work.
Computer Science Department Accountant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 3, 2018
The department I worked in was quiet and usually stress-free. I spent my days performing accounting tasks. The stressful and hardest part of this job was that right after I started work, a new accounting system was implemented and during the implementation we lost about 3 months of data. The most enjoyable part were the students. They were interesting and fun.
Pros
Yoga at lunchtime. UNM offered many of these types of activities for staff.
Cons
Not good pay.
Fun co-workers
Customer Service Representative, PATS (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87106April 2, 2018
Co-workers and supervisor are cool and ready to help.
Pay is just enough not much. No annual raises. Flexible hours for students. work environment is relaxed and laid back.
Fun to work with kids implementing proper developmental behaviors
Help lead new child and parent orientation (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 1, 2018
Working in this company was good. Got to work with kids and learn a variety of social emotional behaviors that are needed for preschool. Wasn't much room to grow was the main concern as well as the burn out amount of hours the center had us working.
great place to conduct research in supporting environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 29, 2018
The atmosphere is quite relaxed, people are friendly and respectful. My initiative was almost always supported and when rejected it was argumented and soft. Good insurance is provided.
Learning environment
Administrative Asst. III (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 26, 2018
Customer service with our patients presenting for the Feeding Clinic.
Huge amounts of paperwork - prior approvals - reports to numerous departments at UNM participating in their care.

Working with the Deaf/Blind community - children and youth population. yearly census & reports to the National D/B Coalition
regarding statistics on various diagnosis & disabilities with deaf/blindness.

Both of these positions were OJT (on job training) and I learned to do these jobs accurately and met all time lines.

Work place was fast paced, management was supportive and friendly!

Having to work long hours when planning, coordinating and executing the events for the families of deaf/blind children & youth.

Doing the events for the deaf/blind children & youth. Obtaining facilities to hold these events, securing donation from local business,
to include food, door prizes, school supplies and all that was needed to make these events happen. Working with & for really great kids and their families!
Pros
Meeting some wonderful patients and families.
Cons
Someties working 18 hours a day on D/B events. Tireing but fun!
Decent place for retired cops
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 26, 2018
Most officers are retired from another agency. Due to political issues with the University, not a lot of pro-active enforcement is conducted. The University is under DOJ oversight due to issues with investigating and reporting CSPs on campus. Seems the campus still wants to keep these under wraps for the most part and do not address them appropriately. The officers have not had a raise from the University in over 10 years, so for the officers that only have this salary it is not very good compared to other local Agencies.
Pros
A lot of time off
Cons
Work ethic/atmosphere
the most enjoyable part of my job
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 14, 2018
The most enjoyable part of my current position is working closely with providers, and patients. I do a lot of teaching of risk factor for stroke, I quite enjoy the education part of my job.
Pros
providors are excellent
Cons
Manager is not a Nurse
Skilled and cooperative faculty and student services. Leadership lacking administratively
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Gallup, NMMarch 9, 2018
Motivated students of all ages. Culturally diverse. Teaching at the Zuni branch was very rewarding. Campus leadership at the top was often contentious and hostile for several years. Support of faculty from main campus was positive and supportive.
Pros
Location near the mountains and native cultural sites.
Cons
See above
A place in where to gain experience in my field and a good place to start.
Accountant Assistant (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 23, 2018
While working at the University of New Mexico I learned of how everything within a department is in one way or another processed by the accountant. I have had tasks allocated to me by email, monthly and daily processes along with unplanned needs of the department. My manager has allowed me to plan my work day, in which I prioritize tasks. The culture of the overall department is relaxed but the job of the accountant can sometimes become stressful with a heavy workload. I really enjoy working with everyone in the department.
Pros
working with my school schedule
Cons
no benefits, low pay and lack of advancement
UNMMG Management is terrible
Program Operations Director (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2018
People in executive positions who have no idea or experience being in charge of community based healthcare clinics. Very for-profit focused which is against the mission of the organization.
Pros
PTO if you have time to take it.
Cons
Incompetent Sr. Leadership at UNMMG
Fun place to work with other students.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 22, 2018
The environment was family friendly. I enjoyed working with in the STEM fields and in education. Teaching students math and African History was very gratifying.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
low pay
Best College Job
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 13, 2018
Design workout regiments and plans for clients’ personal needs and interests
Contact and set appointments with clients
Instruct and manage circuit training classes

Extremely flexible scheduling, you make your own schedule with the clients.
Pros
Scheduling
Cons
No moving up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of New Mexico. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.9Personal Development

2.7Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight