University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
71Above average
4.2

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Employee Reviews

United States399 reviews
Workday was always fun, conducting laboratory experiments.
collecting data and making changes (hypothesis) to produce a different outcome.

The culture was good,supportive, and team members were very respectful
The people who interviewed me (and I ended up working with) were amazing. Really good people UNCs onboarding team and processes, however, are substandard and not competitive. There is little upfront communication about the mandatory retirement contribution - so make sure to negotiate your salary up by at least 6% to cover it. Also, note that they do not front load PTO - so you cannot take any time off until it is earned. As someone who came from a private company with 200+ hours of available PTO this was difficult to manage and offered no work life balance. Especially after a cross country move where some things had to be handled during a business day
Pros
Amazing people.
Cons
Mandatory max retirement contribution and no front loading of PTO
It is very tough working. They don't give enough time to finish your pending tasks. Constantly bugging about the work. So much mental pressure. Hard to keep a good work/life balance.
Position and Job was easy. Co-workers were difficult to deal with and management looked away. Department needs to more diverse and Upper Management stayed behind closed doors.
Ride your bike to campus, walk past towering oaks and 18th century buildings, greet a classroom full of smart and enthusiastic students, and spend an hour and a half changing their lives, twice a week. Enough said.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Given the nature of being a state university, job security is not often a concern though the pay is in general lower than private companies. Great scientists all around so you learn through interacting with all these bright fellows. Besides, scientists respect diversity hence a relatively open minded place for employees.
Great work environment, nice staff, fair management, love the students, always interesting, good hours, good benefits, independence, great experience overall
My boss was nice, respectful, and willing to help her employees. When I fist started I was trained bu a PhD student and learned a lot in my short time.
There are a wide variety of interconnected labs and cores that are always willing to share knowledge and expertise. Pay is in line with NIH standards. Environment has been highly inclusive and very diverse.
Busy days always
Learn new stuff everyday

Diversity

Management wasn’t very good

Hardest part was keeping up with work when It got busy

Good hours

Good pay rate
A highly collaborative work environment with great research resources that fosters innovation. Professional development resources are improving though they need to provide greater time to take advantage of them. The student body was creative,energetic and motivated and a pleasure to work with. Job security and appropriate compensation for fixed term faculty is an issue. At times the administration seems more focused on research dollars than the employees or the impact of the research efforts.
I have enjoyed working at this place. Each and every day I meet new people and talk with different people. It is such a rewarding job to love what you do.
I have learned alot from this company and taking on a roll that I love.the job is rewarding and a challenge but it's worth it.meeting new customers on a daily basis.learning new things about os1 and how management works thru out the University.
Pros
Learned new things
Cons
Too long
Worked with students to teach them general chemistry and hosted biweekly recitations to further understanding of the concepts. Helped answer questions during class.
The chemistry department seems to be getting much better at appreciating graduate students and postdocs. The culture here is much less toxic than the typical graduate school I've seen or heard from.
I'd like to leave a fair review, so here is some context: I was an undergraduate writing coach at the UNC-Chapel Hill Writing & Learning Center. I had to take English 402 (required for the undergraduates) before I could even be considered during the application and interview process. I invested a lot in preparing for this position because I loved helping people become more effective communicators, and that was a personal goal, not just a professional goal I had. I quickly learned that this job is not for every undergraduate, even if you are someone who loves English, writing, grammar, language, and teaching/tutoring.

Here are the positives:

The management (aka full-time staff at the Writing Center) are skilled, organized, and caring. The work hours are flexible as an undergraduate. The environment is not stressful. The workload is quite light. And the work is somewhat fulfilling.

I left, however, for several reasons (which might be worth considering):

(1) The compensation was not enough for my needs, and there is no room for growth. I genuinely feel that the basic functions of my job (i.e. tutor students in person & provide feedback for online paper submissions) were actually worth the $10/hr. However, even when you take on other internal roles as an undergraduate coach (such as working the social media or working on data analysis for the center), there are no possibilities for raises even when you have proven yourself to be a team leader or key player for internal projects within the center. Additionally, an undergraduate coach could be on their third year working
 - more...
UNC pays below market salary in general, and Student Affairs pays 2/3s of the rest of the University. Over the past decade salary increases have ranged from zero to marginal. Performance-based raises do not exist. EHRA employees like me can end up working evenings and weekends, easily 55 hour weeks. There are expectations that you will work these hours and be happy to do so for modest pay.
This is my first job related to my expertise. I like the overall atmosphere and people here are very friendly and happy to share their experience. You can always learn a lot.
This job is mainly to receive some extra change in your pocket during the summer. It's great for all ages and people. I recommend it if you want to stay busy during the summer.
I completed both my undergraduate and Masters degrees at UNC. I also worked as a research assistant for a year and a half and loved every minute of it.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a premier research institution. The people I've met here work hard, but the environment is supportive and collaborative.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

17%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.