University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Employee Reviews

Alpha
Alphanumeric (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 27, 2018
The workplace was ok. We as a whole just desired more money. for the type of work that we were performing. I went through the company. However the contract didn't last long
Pros
Salary
Cons
short contract
Would be a great place to work as a full time employee
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 27, 2018
Being a Temp Employee, I knew that full time employees would be looked after before me. I parted from there under an issue involving a full-time employee. Although she was already a problem in the department, I was the one that took the blunt of the disciplinary actions.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
chain of command is week at times
Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 26, 2018
It is a good, secure place to work. The campus is lovely. The benefits and vacation policy is generous. I recommend it. The pay is good. You will make more money working in private industry, but there is risk of being laid off. For security and longevity, UNC is my top choice. Proof: I retired from there, but continue to take temporary, part-time assignments.
Pros
free classes (2 a year)
Cons
How content you are depends on your department and manager
The institution is an academically rewarding place to work.
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 24, 2018
Very important information and data are gathered by reading publications on the topic of interest. A typical day at work begins by visiting the institution research library or the library of other institutions with a view to collecting and reading scientific publicatons. Relevant information is shared with field workers and the management. The hardest part of the job involves reading related publications on the topic of interst. The most enjoyable part of the job is sharing information and interacting with peers.
Pros
This is not a physical job and is done in a relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
Many published papers need to be read to elucidate points of interest.
productive
Neurology Research Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 22, 2018
casual work day. easy hours. I am involved in several different projects. THe management was a little disorganized and was slow tot process paperwork.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
disorganized
Amazing workplace
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 19, 2018
Great place to work. People are super friendly and helpful. Growth within the company is strongly encouraged and there are a lot of openings. Work-load isn't that overwhelming but during accounting season you might not be able to take longer lunch breaks. But otherwise, very flexible.
Cons
low pay
Was a student
Clinical Rotation Student (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 12, 2018
I didn’t work there as an employee. I was a student so this really doesn’t count. However, I loved it as a student. I would love to work there now! I wish I could go there.
Very Structured and Well Balanced Work System
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 11, 2018
A typical day at work will involve you fulfilling your assigned tasks. You will most likely do something geared towards making the students feel the welcoming atmosphere that Carolina aims to provide to its students. Management is stern but understanding and is not out to get you. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance work and life because in this position the mesh pretty frequently. The most enjoyable part of this job is that they pay for housing and give you a fair salary.
Wonderful Place to Work
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 3, 2018
UNC-CH provided me with opportunity and experience during my entire 30 year career. I was very happy to be a part of the "team concept" with my co-workers and supervisors and I appreciated the opportunities for advancements that I received over the years. I also fill very fortunate to have been exposed to a high level of diversity and knowledge that comes with working in a higher education environment. I feel that has made me a better person able to hold high standards with customer service and the work environment in general.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers and supervisors, experience, pension
Cons
Few cost of living increases or pay increases in general
Enjoyable and Fast Paced Workplace
Café Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 31, 2018
I enjoy working here and it is a really good environment to work in. The management is really good and it was very fast paced due to how many customers we had every day.
Great Place to Work
PROJECT Management (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 29, 2018
UNC Health Care is a great place to work. The teams are diverse and integrate well with each other. Understanding government work will help with ones employment.
Great it was awesome
Junior Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 24, 2018
it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed working with many new people. It was really cool meeting new people. I really liked organizing medical supplies and getting to know the hospital.
Pros
food
Cons
leaving
productive and good place to work
Patient Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 19, 2018
This is a large doctors office where the whole family can go. They take pride in getting to know you and your family. They have a pediatric side, general medicine, and OB/GYN.
Tarheel Blue
Assistant Director, Faculty Development Fellowship (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 17, 2018
UNC was a very nurturing supportive place to work. I worked hard and was given lots of opportunities to grow. The physicians and faculty members were world class and interested in mentoring people with initiative. I enjoyed working with intelligent committed faculty and learning with and from them.
Pros
Tuition credit, professional development opportunities, good team
Cons
Management is very traditional, limited work from home options or flex time. Work life balance is difficult.
Laid back and diversity
Bilingual Administrative Specialist, Notary Public (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 14, 2018
Laid back environment for employees and patients. Multi-Cultural diversity that provides a unified culture diversity that accommodates to everyone needs.
UNC-CH School of Medicine
Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 13, 2018
UNC is a great place to work, and I highly recommend pursing employment with the University. The University offers a pleasant and professional work culture. It is a respectful environment that supports diversity and inclusion. My colleagues are highly knowledgable and demonstrate integrity.
Pros
professionalism, integrity diversity
Cons
pay is low average
Career
Volunteer as PTA Treasurer, Board Member (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 13, 2018
Great Career with communication of work expectations and advancements.

Great Benefits with Consistent Training and Equipment
Great People to work with
Pros
Diverse Population
Cons
Pay Parking
I choose not to write a review
Associate Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 10, 2018
nothing to be said. I worked here as entry level to get my foot in the door and ended up staying four years under different management than I was hired. I went back to school to learn a new skill level to make more money and continue on the path I originally started out on.
Pros
I love my department
Cons
no merrit raises
Na
administrative, customer service (Current Employee) –  Chapel HillMay 7, 2018
I think that most places would be first to say that their job is easy ...but I can say that mine is i have unlimited autonomy where my job is concerned
well structured
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 4, 2018
I was hired in a newly created position to process employment eligibility forms for the University. We processed 10,000 I-9's yearly to the Derepartment of Homeland Security. We hired remote employees in all 50 states for the University and they were remote hires. We had to protect the University from being fined for incomplete I-9s or incorrect documents used to complete the Federal document. Trained the University employees to complete I-9 Forms correctly through a classroom instruction session and also trained them to use the Law Logics program to submit the I-9 Forms to the Department of Homeland Security for emploment purposes.
Pros
employee approvals to work for the University, the pay, lots of educational classes
Cons
employee terminations per no work authorization, heavy politics