University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Employee Reviews

Educational Opportunity
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 15, 2018
I had the opportunity to work while in school at Chapel Hill. This job was very low maintenance and easy going in terms of working hours and days. I was able to make my own schedule based on my school schedule
Fun
Summer Camp Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 14, 2018
Loved my job working at chapel hill. The staff was great and so were the other employees. I felt like it was easy for me to express myself and just be.
Intramural Sports Referee (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCNovember 13, 2018
This job gave me valuable working experience. I learned many rules and regulations for SPorts that I didn't even know about. My coworkers were very nice.
high paid security guard
Campus Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 8, 2018
The job itself wasn't difficult. I was a police officer with security guard responsibilities. management was terrible. a lot of dog and pony show expectations.
Fun and challenging environment, however hard to integrate to the larger community
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 30, 2018
-Great core facilities.
-Amazing lab environment that keep helping you to develop as a scientist.
-As a postdoc there is no clear way to be integrated to the broader scientific community.
Position of EHRA NF HR Consultant
EHRA Non-Faculty Human Resource Consultant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 20, 2018
I use the word "typically" very carefully to describe a day's work as each and every day offers very different and challenging tasks. Such tasks include, but not limited to consultations with campus clients, processing of various personnel actions for employees, i.e. salary increases, new hire, terminations, and FTE changes. Processing the aforementioned can all occur on the same day. Having to be responsible for so many work tasks has enhanced my ability to exercise time management. This is one of the most important work philosophies that I have learned and have proven to be extremely valuable. While the work is very fast paced, and can be somewhat stressful at times, there still remains a level of eustress, whereby that stressful situation results in a positive outcome. That is the tone set my management, whereby I am allowed independence in performing daily tasks, with the expectation of following through to completion and maintaining a high level of accuracy. The hardest part of my job is having to wait on responses for approval of salary increases and position requests for employees, due to policy constraints, while one of the of the most enjoyable part is the ability to communicate with various campus staff and help them with their needs.
Unc
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 17, 2018
Job wasn't hard was a good work place to work love the pay and the benefeits and the our I work and got along with the peoples and the managerments. Recomend good place to work.
Time as an intern
Assistant Academic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 25, 2018
Working at the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, has been quite the experience so far. I have learned a lot of wonderful new skills on working with people and helping student-athletes succeed. Working with student-athletes is what I love most about this job because I get to help them become better in the classroom and when they succeed in academically, they succeed athletically.
Great workplace with helpful surpervisiors
IT RESOURCE CENTER WALK-IN CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 24, 2018
Job is always training by nature of one-on-one consulting. Learning new technology constantly. Supervisors helpful with hands-on repairs. Great work life balance.
Great beginning opportunities
IT Service Desk Supervisor; Training Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 23, 2018
It's a great place to start in a career and to learn. Advancement and growth opportunities are lacking. There are no career paths within some sectors.
Pros
Skill Development
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Productive and fune environment
Scientific Storeroom Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 22, 2018
I loved my job at UNC, great hours, good pay, and weekends off as well. There is always something going on and events all the time. If I were closer I would definitely go back.
Pros
Stuff to do
Cons
Traffic
UNC needs a huge overhaul at the top
Associate Director, Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 11, 2018
UNC is a great place to be senior management. There are huge parallels with the 1% doctrine found in modern society and faculty are leaving in droves. There have been disturbing developments deep in racism.
unc
Director of Development and External Relations (Current Employee) –  NCSeptember 10, 2018
unc is bold, ambitious and out to make sure that public universities still matter. it is an amazing space and it is a pleasure to be at an employer that cares so much about doing great in the world.
Salary is very low
Student Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 31, 2018
I worked there for 6 1/2 years and didn't receive a raise because of a freeze. That's a long time to work and not receive cost of living. It's impossible for people in a current position to be promoted. The state would rather pay someone outside more money than promote from within.
Pros
Employee appreciation date. Free lunch!
Cons
No salary increases.
Clarify Expectations
Graduate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 28, 2018
Not every department is like the one I worked in but my manager did not handle conflict very well. Instead of addressing a performance problem and help me to correct that problem, I was terminated with a vague explanation. I have never been fired from any job I've had nor have I had an disciplinary action taken against me. I was completely blindsided. Be sure to always ask your manager for clear, concise and concrete expectations and directions. Even when you appear to annoy them.
Caution: do not bring your child here for heart surgery
Charge/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  PICUAugust 9, 2018
Overall the environment is not conducive to healthy growth or development of the nursing staff. I cared for all types of critically ill patients but the most deception and despicable care rendered by a team to a patient was with the cardiac ICU patients.On more than one occasion I recollect a patient being brought back on life support machines and almost dead after open heart surgery. After wasting insurance and tax payer money for days, sometimes weeks, the cardiac surgeon declares that life support needs to be withdrawn. It is clear to many of us caring for the patient that the child did not stand a chance to begin with. Nurses and families are given misleading information and the surgeons treat us like fools.
Cons
Dishonest, Self serving and unethical
positive
Professor (Current Employee) –  universityAugust 3, 2018
public university setting with good work environment. part of an academic setting with positive integrative care experiences. would recommend working here highly.
Very supportive company
Utilization Management, rehab intake coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 23, 2018
I moved into 3 different jobs during my time there. They were always willing to let staff go into other departments and try new things. I was able to envision jobs I thought I might like and get the opportunity to try out these positions without previous firm experience.
Pros
friendly and supportive team
It was ok
Business Officer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 2, 2018
The internal structure was lacking for an insitution that prides itself on being an innovator for research.The workplace culture was nonexistent. UNC is great only for experience.
Alpha
Alphanumeric (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 27, 2018
The workplace was ok. We as a whole just desired more money. for the type of work that we were performing. I went through the company. However the contract didn't last long
Pros
Salary
Cons
short contract