University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Employee Reviews

UNC needs a huge overhaul at the top
Associate Director, Learning Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 11, 2018
UNC is a great place to be senior management. There are huge parallels with the 1% doctrine found in modern society and faculty are leaving in droves. There have been disturbing developments deep in racism.
Salary is very low
Student Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 31, 2018
I worked there for 6 1/2 years and didn't receive a raise because of a freeze. That's a long time to work and not receive cost of living. It's impossible for people in a current position to be promoted. The state would rather pay someone outside more money than promote from within.
Pros
Employee appreciation date. Free lunch!
Cons
No salary increases.
Clarify Expectations
Graduate Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 28, 2018
Not every department is like the one I worked in but my manager did not handle conflict very well. Instead of addressing a performance problem and help me to correct that problem, I was terminated with a vague explanation. I have never been fired from any job I've had nor have I had an disciplinary action taken against me. I was completely blindsided. Be sure to always ask your manager for clear, concise and concrete expectations and directions. Even when you appear to annoy them.
Caution: do not bring your child here for heart surgery
Charge/Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  PICUAugust 9, 2018
Overall the environment is not conducive to healthy growth or development of the nursing staff. I cared for all types of critically ill patients but the most deception and despicable care rendered by a team to a patient was with the cardiac ICU patients.On more than one occasion I recollect a patient being brought back on life support machines and almost dead after open heart surgery. After wasting insurance and tax payer money for days, sometimes weeks, the cardiac surgeon declares that life support needs to be withdrawn. It is clear to many of us caring for the patient that the child did not stand a chance to begin with. Nurses and families are given misleading information and the surgeons treat us like fools.
Cons
Dishonest, Self serving and unethical
positive
Professor (Current Employee) –  universityAugust 3, 2018
public university setting with good work environment. part of an academic setting with positive integrative care experiences. would recommend working here highly.
Very supportive company
Utilization Management, rehab intake coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 23, 2018
I moved into 3 different jobs during my time there. They were always willing to let staff go into other departments and try new things. I was able to envision jobs I thought I might like and get the opportunity to try out these positions without previous firm experience.
Pros
friendly and supportive team
It was ok
Business Officer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 2, 2018
The internal structure was lacking for an insitution that prides itself on being an innovator for research.The workplace culture was nonexistent. UNC is great only for experience.
Alpha
Alphanumeric (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 27, 2018
The workplace was ok. We as a whole just desired more money. for the type of work that we were performing. I went through the company. However the contract didn't last long
Pros
Salary
Cons
short contract
Would be a great place to work as a full time employee
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 27, 2018
Being a Temp Employee, I knew that full time employees would be looked after before me. I parted from there under an issue involving a full-time employee. Although she was already a problem in the department, I was the one that took the blunt of the disciplinary actions.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
chain of command is week at times
Executive Assistant
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 26, 2018
It is a good, secure place to work. The campus is lovely. The benefits and vacation policy is generous. I recommend it. The pay is good. You will make more money working in private industry, but there is risk of being laid off. For security and longevity, UNC is my top choice. Proof: I retired from there, but continue to take temporary, part-time assignments.
Pros
free classes (2 a year)
Cons
How content you are depends on your department and manager
The institution is an academically rewarding place to work.
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 24, 2018
Very important information and data are gathered by reading publications on the topic of interest. A typical day at work begins by visiting the institution research library or the library of other institutions with a view to collecting and reading scientific publicatons. Relevant information is shared with field workers and the management. The hardest part of the job involves reading related publications on the topic of interst. The most enjoyable part of the job is sharing information and interacting with peers.
Pros
This is not a physical job and is done in a relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
Many published papers need to be read to elucidate points of interest.
productive
Neurology Research Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 22, 2018
casual work day. easy hours. I am involved in several different projects. THe management was a little disorganized and was slow tot process paperwork.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
disorganized
Amazing workplace
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 19, 2018
Great place to work. People are super friendly and helpful. Growth within the company is strongly encouraged and there are a lot of openings. Work-load isn't that overwhelming but during accounting season you might not be able to take longer lunch breaks. But otherwise, very flexible.
Cons
low pay
Was a student
Clinical Rotation Student (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 12, 2018
I didn’t work there as an employee. I was a student so this really doesn’t count. However, I loved it as a student. I would love to work there now! I wish I could go there.
Very Structured and Well Balanced Work System
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 11, 2018
A typical day at work will involve you fulfilling your assigned tasks. You will most likely do something geared towards making the students feel the welcoming atmosphere that Carolina aims to provide to its students. Management is stern but understanding and is not out to get you. The hardest part of the job is trying to balance work and life because in this position the mesh pretty frequently. The most enjoyable part of this job is that they pay for housing and give you a fair salary.
Wonderful Place to Work
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 3, 2018
UNC-CH provided me with opportunity and experience during my entire 30 year career. I was very happy to be a part of the "team concept" with my co-workers and supervisors and I appreciated the opportunities for advancements that I received over the years. I also fill very fortunate to have been exposed to a high level of diversity and knowledge that comes with working in a higher education environment. I feel that has made me a better person able to hold high standards with customer service and the work environment in general.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers and supervisors, experience, pension
Cons
Few cost of living increases or pay increases in general
Enjoyable and Fast Paced Workplace
Café Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 31, 2018
I enjoy working here and it is a really good environment to work in. The management is really good and it was very fast paced due to how many customers we had every day.
Great Place to Work
PROJECT Management (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 29, 2018
UNC Health Care is a great place to work. The teams are diverse and integrate well with each other. Understanding government work will help with ones employment.
Great it was awesome
Junior Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 24, 2018
it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed working with many new people. It was really cool meeting new people. I really liked organizing medical supplies and getting to know the hospital.
Pros
food
Cons
leaving
productive and good place to work
Patient Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 19, 2018
This is a large doctors office where the whole family can go. They take pride in getting to know you and your family. They have a pediatric side, general medicine, and OB/GYN.