University of North Carolina School of the Arts

University of North Carolina School of the Arts Employee Reviews

Very educational space
Graduate Teaching Assistant in Aural Skills (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 4, 2018
This position offers a wonderfully educational space to learn while working. Never a dull day. The management is filled with great leaders who aspire to inspire.
special student
Sound Assistant for Student Film (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 26, 2017
I don't work there. I have only taken classes there. I would like very much to volunteer there. It's a very stimulating environment and I love it there.
Small, fast-paced work environment with excellent benefits
Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 3, 2017
UNCSA is a unique campus. It is the only state supported art conservatory in the country. It employs over 450 faculty/staff to support an enrollment of 1,200 students from high school through graduate programs. The academic curriculum is focused on the performing arts in five disciplines: Dance, Drama, Film, Design & Production, and Music.
Pros
State Benefits, small community
Cons
Small operating budget
Uncsa
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCAugust 8, 2017
I learn that working am doing a great job come with great benifits, you are all ways giving a good respectable compliment about how good you are doing your job and I love to do a great job that people admirer my work. There nothing hard about my job and the management is great and friendly people.
Productive and social workplace
Residence Life Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMay 26, 2017
A typical day includes talking to residential students on campus and helping them fill out paperwork for future campus housing or other similar questions.
MY coworkers often feel like family
SYSTEMS ACCOUNTANT (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 29, 2017
A typical day at work is full of creative sounds and energy. This is a place where employee development is encouraged and rewarded. The culture is really laid back and most coworkers feel like family. The pay is not on par with corporate and that's to be expected since it is a Public University. However management makes up for that with flexible schedules and relaxed comings and goings.
Pros
First class enterainment
great supportive place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 27, 2017
I loved working here got paid more than i expected and every one was nice.one of the best bosses i've ever worked for and the community was amazing. living on campus made work easier
great place
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 1, 2017
Great place to work and very creative students.The students practice hard all year and perform their great accomplishments in front of their peers.
Pros
great benefits and a growing University
Cons
small campus
Work-study job making coffee for other students
Coffee Hostess (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 22, 2016
This was a laid-back work-study job at one of the campus coffee shops. My responsibilities were not difficult to fulfill and I wanted more of a challenge or at least a faster pace. I love serving food and drinks though, so I enjoyed my job.
Pros
Free snacks, easy workload
Cons
Low pay, night shift
Fun workplace for the summer
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 30, 2015
Productive always working and involved; This was a summer job. I would do it all over again. It's for the summer only but it's worth a month of work. It was fun to interact with the high school students and the staff was great!

Want to know more about University of North Carolina School of the Arts?

Ask a question
UNCSA Great for artists
Acting Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCNovember 13, 2015
My days are fairly physical in nature. Warming up voices and bodies. Preparing the mind to receive information. Creating a safe place for the artist to share.
I have learned and am still learning that a creative function is multi-faceted--it enhances the student mind, body and soul. Art touches us in a variety of ways.
The management is top notch. communicative and thorough.
My co-workers are are very supportive. They are kind and really care about the students.
Hardest part: Watching the students move on.
Enjoyable part: Watching the students move on.
Pros
24/7 arts environment.
Cons
no real outside connection to other schools.
Great place to work!
Admission Counselor (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 21, 2015
The students are the best part of the job.

Always something new and fun to do.

This is an entry level job with no opportunity for advancement.
Pros
The students, travel, free tickets to the performance
Cons
Severly understaffed, not a lot of opportunity for advancement
An excellent place to work
Customer Service Representation (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 27, 2015
The University of North Carolina School of the Arts is a productive Culturally diverse and and exciting place to work. It is a pleasure to assist and interact with the patrons.
Uncsa
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 26, 2015
UNCSA is a wonderful school. They are the best at what they do. There is a 98% hire rate out of college. If you want a job in the performing arts this is the place to go.
Pros
Best place to go for the Performing arts
Productive ART SCHOOL with GREAT STUDENTS
Administrative Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 5, 2015
I enjoyed working at UNCSA. It has been and will be a GREAT chapter in my life it has taught me so much from relationships to loyalty.
Pros
love, joy, happiness
Cons
having to leave
Upscale Theatre with free admission to Cultural Events
Usher (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 2, 2015
I enjoyed working for UNCSA as an usher. I got to attend all of the events I worked for free. It was an easy job to do & I could easily advance to additional tasks & more responsibilities in the theatre & film &music business such as working as a performer & actress.
Pros
Location/ Upscale work environment
Cons
Management didn't allow anybody to eat lunch in the break room
Great Place to Work
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCDecember 8, 2014
Typical day at work is doing any tasks to assits our artist students.
Grate Place to be.
Telecommunications Operator/ Police Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 6, 2014
Enjoyed my co workers and my customers.could have a little more organization.
Counseling internship
Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Winston Salem, NCMay 8, 2014
I learned a great deal about counseling, applying theories and diagnostic tools, developing rapport, developing and sustaining counseling relationships, creative approaches to working with young artists, and received direct supervision and support from the staff. UNCSA was a wonderful place to "cut my teeth" as a young counselor, and the feedback I was provided has increased my knowledge, my focus on the ethics of the counseling profession, and my desire to use a strength-based, evidenced based approach in the counseling work I am currently doing.
Interesting Management
Head of Post-Production (Former Employee) –  Salem, NCMarch 3, 2014
Good employees to work with that are underpaid. The lack of management makes it hard to run a department. Management lack of understanding of Post-Production in general makes it hard to run the department.