University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

I worked there one year. I don't think I took advantage of everthing UNC had to offer.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 4, 2018
As an organization, I'm sure it's a great place but I only worked there one year and was not able to continue working there. If you are not vested in the company, your 401k contributions don't really stay with you unless you start at another university within a year. My specific work experience wasn't that great and I doubt it has advanced my career any but again, it doesn't have to do with UNC as an organization.
Environment health and safety office
Grunt (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 19, 2018
Director is an insecure micromanager that is scared to let people do their job. If you know more than the manager, you're a threat. Director is always dreaming up new ways to boost their image, and if you're not
supporting that cause, you are punished. The management staff is great and lower level personnel are all great too. The director ruins the whole environment. Great, qualified people are pushed out and the director gets a raise and a promotion to further gut the program. If you like a director that is a malicious, rude, belittling micromanager, apply here!
Math help center
graduate tutor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 10, 2018
Work in math help center and helping to students for their problems and exams. All days work in MHC without weekend and answer some emails questions which ask from students who they take online classes. The most enjoyable part in my career is helping to students for their mathematical questions.
Great team focus
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 5, 2018
Great place to work. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill fosters a team experience that focuses on quality patient care as well as the professional advancement of its staff members.
Great place for research
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 29, 2018
If you are seeking a resourceful university for training on research, UNC is a good place to go. However the parking has been an issue on campus. Overall the academic environment is great.
Productive Environment
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 22, 2018
I worked at UNC at a Graduate Assistant while in Grad School. I was transition to employment after my Masters was completed. I currently work on a special project.
Collaborative research environment with great faculty members.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 10, 2018
I was an undergraduate research assistant in the political science department. I worked for three different faculty members on one project. The project was coding a new data set for academic research. This position gave me the necessary skills and experience to succeed in graduate school. It was also a great collaborative working environment.
An Amazing Place
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 8, 2018
UNC is a place where every employee is treated with respect and considered a valuable piece to the puzzle. Even though UNC is a large institution with a National Brand, it creates a vibe where everyone feels like family.
Great environment for growth
Assistant to the Vice Chancellor (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 26, 2018
As a student worker I was able to have a great school life/work balance. Working for the University felt prestigious and gave me the ability to meet a wide array of people, including some great networking contacts.
Rule and guideline driven work environment. Always practice stewardship as a state employee. Follow all protocols for all job executions
University Advancement Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 12, 2018
A government agency focuses on high education. My division is to oversee and provide guidance and professional resources to Advancement offices of all 17 University of North Carolina campuses and 3 affiliates.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
Not enough promotion and salary increase opportunities
Faculty and Staff are extremely supportive to students.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 8, 2018
I worked through an assistantship and collaborated with many research members, community members, and partnered with many local organizations. The opportunities are endless from the start of the connections you make. There are many resources available to the students, staff, and faculty members as well.
Great people, but state bureaucracy is debilitating in all areas
Technology Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCApril 3, 2018
There was a great team atmosphere and the amount of collaboration to accomplish projects and to resolve issues was empowering, however the state bureaucracy is part of everything that happens there and must be therefore taken into account in everything you do.

Management worked to mitigate the bureaucracy, but the politics of the university make that a losing proposition.

The benefits of working for the stat are numerous, but compensation is typically less than private industry.

Overall, this an enjoyable place to work because of the people you work with. The team culture is definitely empowering and helps to make this a positive place to work.
Summer intern (Former Employee) –  Morehead City, NCMarch 27, 2018
I was a summer intern at the UNC Institute of Marine Science and loved my time there. The IMS community is very welcoming, friendly, and relaxed. I felt very connected with everyone and would reccomend the job to anyone looking to get experience or learn more about marine science research! And IMS has it all when it comes to research and top-tiered professors. I wish I was paid more, but I only had a temporary intern position. I also can’t complaint about being so close to the beach!
Pros
Cool location, friendly, tight community
Cons
Low pay
great place to work
Applications Analyst (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 24, 2018
was an undergrad here and loved it so much I never left; I still work here and have been for 11 years now. no intention on leaving ever. lots of passionate and intelligent people work here as well. there is an initiative to consolidate services across campus to prevent duplication of effort and increase efficiency that will make things better as well as various departments can sometimes do their own thing
Pros
great atmosphere, not cut throat
Cons
pay can sometimes not be competitive
Awesome
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMarch 23, 2018
Great place to work. I really enjoyed working here. The location is amazing and the coworkers were very helpful. The support was adequate. I liked having access to the lab resources.
Worked at UNC many years ago
Genetic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 14, 2018
I can't really rate UNC now. It was many years ago that I worked there and things have changed a lot since then. At the time that I was there, I enjoyed my position and co-workers.
Good
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 8, 2018
This is a good university with many good jobs. If you need a job, UNC has plenty for you. People are educated and understanding; plus the school culture and sports are amazing!
Poor Management
Business Officer (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 8, 2018
The work culture is rather smothering. Supervisors tend to micromanage employees. Exempt employees are treated like factory works. There is a lot of emphasis on requiring exempt employees to work more than 40 hours per week. Yet, exempt (SHRA) employees are expected to claim leave time for all hours under 40.

There are plenty of nice people. However, little opportunity for advancement. UNC is a shining example of another institution that needs balance in performance reviews. Poor managers are often promoted because they are very good a keeping their supervisors happy. However, we there performance as supervisors to be measured, many would not succeed. UNC needs 360 degree reviews.
Pros
Culture of Health
Cons
Parking
Nice university town
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 5, 2018
The university is located in a beautiful town. The work environment -- rigorous, focus on doing well, friendly colleagues. Management seems to value employees.
UNC is the Place to Be!
Area Director (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 5, 2018
A truly wonderful experience, working with staff and students. Staff had the autonomy to work in their residence halls while working closely together.
Pros
Work Culture