University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

Unfair treatment of employees
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCOctober 11, 2018
Consistently, employees that have been favored are promoted from within (sometimes even creating whole new positions). They are also the individuals that are allowed to work from home or remotely.

There exists an uneven balance in benefit for those that are part of the in crowd.
Opportunities to Advance
Sponsored Programs Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 26, 2018
Everyone should be given the opportunity to advance. Sometimes it seems as though external applicants are preferred over internal applicants. Everyone should be treated fairly.
na
Oncology Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 17, 2018
I worked for The University of North Carolina Hospital System for 12 years. During my time spent there, I enjoyed the work culture and opportunities for career advancement or change in work area.
An educational learning envirnment
Operations&Program Manager-Customer Svc (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 9, 2018
This university believes in putting degrees first when sometime talent should be included as well as hard work and skill. Advancing upward is a challenging and slow process and a little frustrating. Without listing my salary, it still wasn't enough to continue living on the outskirts of Chapel Hill unless you were a Director upward, had a roommate, two incomes or family that supported or supplemented your income. This was my experience. I think I made the right choice to retire early because my health was declining and I wanted to visit other areas of careers that utilized my talents and build back healthy choices and lifestyles. Salary as well as growth, respect and appreciation should go both ways no matter who you are. I'm thankful for the experience and friendships along the way and know I left my footprint in a positive way with great memories to share.
Pros
Experiences and opportunities
Cons
Slow upward advancement and sense of appreciation
UNC/Chapel Hill -- Difficult to Appraise
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 4, 2018
UNC/Chapel Hill offers itself as a work place with appealing & not so appealing features. Its management is generally lax and business processes sluggish. Communications within and between departments are often siloed, and potential for cross-collaboration is often left untapped. This scenario is found often enough in most universities, but one would hope that UNC/Chapel Hill could honestly self-assess and make itself an exception to the rule of campus fiefdoms as a way of work life.
Pros
Solid technical staff who are mostly team players
Cons
Management skills in deficient supply across the campus
Great place to work with opportunites to grow professionally and personally through employee benefits.
University Records Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 29, 2018
Excellent work environment and exciting working for the university. Progressive attitude to learn more and provided opportunities to expand skills needed for job.
Pros
Working at a major research and sports involved university.
Cons
Limited opportunities for wage increases.
Great Experience
Research/Program Assistant, Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 27, 2018
This experience opened my eyes to the medical side of diversity and inclusion. Conducting research on underrepresented minorities in different medical departments was exactly what I had in mind doing my internship.
Low stress work enviornment.
University Administrator (Zone Manager) (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 14, 2018
My job at UNC Chapel Hill is a job that provides oppurtunities to advance through out UNC not just within the department that I work. Upper managemnet is always train us to so we have the skills and knowledge to advance our careers. My job as a Zone Manager really isnt difficult in my eyes. I walk through my 7 buildings checking on my staff to make sure their areas are clean, make sure they follow the processes put in place and they have what they need to get there jobs done. The hardest part about my job right now is the hours. 3rd shift is starting to take its toll on me. The most enjoyable part of my job is the flexibilty and the peolpe. There is such a wide variety of people with different backgrounds and different experiences.
Long-Term Employee Stuck
Financial Aid Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 7, 2018
The University of NC offers stable employment, which is good. The downside, if any, is difficulty experienced as a mature employee in moving up - even with advanced degrees.
Pros
Stable employment
Cons
Less opportunities for advancement for mature employees
Toss you in & swim
Cert Nursing Assistant I / Emergency Room Tech (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NC 27516August 1, 2018
Never enough help.
The ED is getting to be more psych than medical. State hospital, has to take ALL ppl.
Tired of getting beat up by psych pt's.
Great hospital security, you REALLY get to know hospital police & security when working psych I the ED.
A job you will never forget. Good & Bad.
Pros
Great learning exp. state pension, a lot of overtime
Cons
Don't always get your breaks, not much for raises
This was an internship.
Internship Experience (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 30, 2018
A typical day at the Center for New North Carolinians was very rewarding. I learned so much about cultural competence, the refugee population in North Carolina, and how a successful non-profit functions.Management is excellent. They are all very positive and forward thinking. The culture within this organization is very diverse. There are people from all different cultures and backgrounds. They people that work for CNNC are positive in their attitude and are able to bring their best selves to the people they serve. The hardest part of my job was having to wait to get the results I wanted. The work itself was enjoyable.
UNC Hospital
Pediatric Flight Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 26, 2018
Provided primary care and rapid transport of critically ill patients age 0-18 years by helicopter and fixed wing aircraft. Care included advance practice skills and life saving procedures.
I worked there one year. I don't think I took advantage of everthing UNC had to offer.
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 4, 2018
As an organization, I'm sure it's a great place but I only worked there one year and was not able to continue working there. If you are not vested in the company, your 401k contributions don't really stay with you unless you start at another university within a year. My specific work experience wasn't that great and I doubt it has advanced my career any but again, it doesn't have to do with UNC as an organization.
Environment health and safety office
Grunt (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 19, 2018
Director is an insecure micromanager that is scared to let people do their job. If you know more than the manager, you're a threat. Director is always dreaming up new ways to boost their image, and if you're not
supporting that cause, you are punished. The management staff is great and lower level personnel are all great too. The director ruins the whole environment. Great, qualified people are pushed out and the director gets a raise and a promotion to further gut the program. If you like a director that is a malicious, rude, belittling micromanager, apply here!
Very Good
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 14, 2018
Friendly environment.
Nice management.
Be a role model for student.
When you are a graduate student and a research assistant, it does not matter how the workplace is. It's all about your supervisor. Luckily, I got a great one.
Math help center
graduate tutor (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 10, 2018
Work in math help center and helping to students for their problems and exams. All days work in MHC without weekend and answer some emails questions which ask from students who they take online classes. The most enjoyable part in my career is helping to students for their mathematical questions.
Great team focus
Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJune 5, 2018
Great place to work. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill fosters a team experience that focuses on quality patient care as well as the professional advancement of its staff members.
Great place for research
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 29, 2018
If you are seeking a resourceful university for training on research, UNC is a good place to go. However the parking has been an issue on campus. Overall the academic environment is great.
Productive Environment
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCMay 22, 2018
I worked at UNC at a Graduate Assistant while in Grad School. I was transition to employment after my Masters was completed. I currently work on a special project.
Collaborative research environment with great faculty members.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  University Park, PAMay 10, 2018
I was an undergraduate research assistant in the political science department. I worked for three different faculty members on one project. The project was coding a new data set for academic research. This position gave me the necessary skills and experience to succeed in graduate school. It was also a great collaborative working environment.