University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Employee Reviews

United States343 reviews
There is an tremendous amount of openness to different ideas. These are actively sought and shared comfortably. Good communication from department and administration especially considering the size of the institution.
Pros
Respect and appreciation for different pErspectives
Cons
Can be unsettling when workAnd positions are funded by state or federal contracts.
UNC is a very exciting place to work. The nurse patient ratio is very good. There are people from all over the world there working on interesting research to help people in need.
Pros
Beautiful environment
Cons
Cannot park in hospital lot. Have to park and ride
I love working here as a TA. It is a fun time entirely and I have never had any complaints working with any of the staff. Everyone is so friendly and helpful.
Very good university to work as Teaching assistant. Getting a job as teaching assistant is a bit difficult but once you are in, it is a good place to work.
A very challenging place to work. There will be very little upward mobility, so prepare yourself to move on. Your education, experience, etc. will not matter. It is the "good ole boy" system. If you have higher education, you may report to someone that has never been to school and will not understand how to value your education.
Pros
Holidays
Cons
Bureaucracy, State government politics, management is slow to change if they do at all
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
I was fortunate to gain experience as a radio host, but once it was under new management, I could not return due to the reconstruction of the radio station along with my graduation date approaching
Fairly laid back coworkers but almost everything is deadline driven which is fine. it allows for one to plan out ones work week/month.

The work is cyclical which isn't bad.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a great place to work in regards to being valued and having a good work/life balance. the IT Services department is full of wonderful people.
UNC at Pembroke only choose to train people they like not who they work with. Lack of communication and lack of training are parts of the problem that employees seek employment elsewhere.
If you're seeking a long term stay with long term benefits, it's a great place to start out but continue to seek other positions within the university to advance educationally and financially. Take your experiences, knowledge and contacts with you should you desire to move on for possible advanced positions an income.
If you really want to learn how to teach and work with excellent students this is the place to grow and learn from faculty that is doing an amazing job in supporting students.
Great schedule as well

Always engaged in preventive work to further help our users do their jobs. I look forward to coming here everyday
Pros
flexible
Cons
n/a
I enjoy working here great benefits and job security work life balance . There’s room to grow if you wanna advance . I enjoy working with the public .
. Communication to leadership difficult. In-house bickering. Racial discrimination. Suggestions not considered i worked here for 2 years. Not happy from day 1 but stuck it out. Toxic atmosphere.
Dynamic environment with a diverse culture. Very large hospital with many specialty areas. Level 1 trauma center. Reasonable pay and benefits. Limited advancement opportunity.
work includes a lot of grading
creating answer keys for questions of assignment

grading projects and presentations

helping students with their queries
this place has loads of potential to grow. Can be either full time or part time. At first it can be intimidating teaching students but afterwards get used to and becomes a part of the family.
Again, my responses to fit into your little boxes may not make sense because the experiences do not fit your questions. Again, "My Company" versus a different company for which I worked for a time.
This is a great counseling program. It has been a number of years since graduation and things have likely changed. I wish I had researched job opportunities further before committing to this program. Social Work is a better option, in my opinion.
While taking a course at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, we were assigned to create a project based on the desires of the group. After collaboratively working together, we decided to focus our project towards creating a fundraiser to benefit the local animal shelter. As a group, we created targeted goals for each member along with sub goals within those targets for each member. Over the course of a week, we successfully completed all of our targets to generate over $100 for the Orange County Animal Shelter.
I was pregnant and was disappointed about no paid leave. However, I could work extra to enable myself to be paid on my 3 month leave. They tried to enable me to work from home, but office work was too difficult to take out and in the end I quit.

I did enjoy the team and the management, though the job was sometimes a bit tedious.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of North Carolina. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2