University of Northern Iowa Employee Reviews

4.5
Ratings breakdown
Flexible working hours with friendly peers
Lab Assistant at the ITC (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 7, 2018
Very great work environment. I really enjoyed working for Professor Scott Giese who is a great mentor. I look forward to working with other people of this caliber in the field of manufacturing.
Pros
Time to work on self projects when available
Good Place
Student-Athlete (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAApril 25, 2018
I highly recommend this institution. One of the best schools that Iowa has to offer. Cedar Falls is great and the people that inhabit it are fantastic.
Great supervisors
Dining Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAApril 24, 2018
My first on-campus job was great. I met so many people and developed an exceptional work ethic. I push myself to be the best I can be and make sure to surpass what my supervisors request of me.
A great place to work.
Research Assistant - Social Ecology Lab (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMarch 20, 2018
The University was a great place to work as a volunteer research assistant. I believe that this experience helped later on down the line in my career. There were many opportunities at U of NI.
Good Comprehensive
Assistant Professor of Educational Psychology (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAFebruary 23, 2018
I believe UNI is a good place to be a professor. I loved it there under the former Dean and his team. I believe many are thriving here in their careers.
Great people to work with
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJanuary 29, 2018
Each day is easy due to the great atmosphere that you work in. The people there are outstanding. The only downside to the job is the lack of air conditioning in the buildings you work in.
Great students, supportive staff
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJanuary 1, 2018
The job demanded long hours, but it was a rewarding experience teaching non-English speaking international students to succeed in a University environment.
Pros
Fellow workers generous and helpful
Cons
Job insecurity
Productive and fun place to work
Graduate Student Clinician (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IANovember 6, 2017
Love the university and all of the staff within the CSD department. Culturally sensitive and very empathetic staff. High use of research-based practice.
Excellent place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 20, 2017
University of Northern Iowa's Culture and Intensive English program was an excellent place to work. The teachers there are very friendly and helpful, and the job allowed me to interact with students from many other cultures. The work could be challenging at times, but felt very rewarding.
Very interactive place of work
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 17, 2017
Throughout my time at the University I found myself making several connections with faculty and staff. The University of Northern Iowa is all about connecting students. A typical day at work involved calling and planning a program, other duties were emailing faculty and scheduling meetings. In this workplace, I found myself to be very comfortable, I was able to ask questions and know that I would not be judged. The hardest part of my job was the week before the program started and everything began to happen at a very fast pace, but it taught me a lot. The most enjoyable part was meeting new faculty and staff on campus and making those connections.,
Pros
Supportive Staff
a good ob if you're an on-campus student needing some extra money
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAOctober 10, 2017
Was mostly a part-time student assigned to assist the Custodians with cleaning classrooms and common areas after classes finished for the day. What you do and where you go will vary depending on the school's needs and the times you prefer to work. Managers and supervisors are all pretty friendly and are more than willing to work with student's schedules.

If you are a diligent worker and show that you are good at working without a lot of supervision at a fair pace, you will get along fine.
Fun Place to work, Relaxed
Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IASeptember 19, 2017
I enjoyed working here. Learned many things. Had my own hours, Supervisors were very friendly and fun. Paid monthly not hourly, Not much scope for growth.
Relaxed
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAAugust 13, 2017
The University of Northern Iowa Study Abroad Office is a lovely location to learn about other people and cultures in an informed and interesting setting.
It was a fun job being part of the campus crew
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJuly 30, 2017
I would take care and maintain the hall office. Sort and deliver mail. Answer student questions. Help residents move in and out of the dorms at the beginning and the end of the school year
productive and fun. Good people, polite people. I learned a lot.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJuly 9, 2017
I liked working at University of Northern Iowa. My job involved a lot of research and writing. So I would spend most of my time at the library. the library assistant would help me if I have a problem. the professor that I was working under was very supportive. As an International student, first few months were challenging but after a while due to the love and support, I didn't encounter much difficulties. So I am proud and happy to have worked at University of Northern Iowa.

The good thing about mid-west is people here are good and polite. They smile at you and if you have a problem, you have to ask them and they are ready to help.
Pros
Small and cozy
Cons
Not much people
Great place to work with friendly people
Front Desk Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 26, 2017
The Office of Business Operations at UNI was a great place to work. My duties were clear and my supervisor did well in training me. The workplace culture is very friendly, and there is a social committee that organizes fun events. The hardest part of the job was learning all the information, but using my knowledge to help others get their questions answered was very rewarding.
Great university with countless opportunities for social activism
PIEER Intern (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 25, 2017
University of Northern Iowa provided me the opportunity to join the Panther Initiative for Environmental Equity and Resilience , a group that focuses on social justice initiatives and environmental sustainability.
Wonderful place to work!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAJune 20, 2017
This has remained my favorite job. Management is awesome, benefits are great. Cohesive culture and positive reinforcement. Opportunity to grow with the university and many opportunities to explore other career opportunities.
Pros
Great people!
Cons
Enjoyed Working and my student life
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 15, 2017
I learned so much over the years I spent as a lab assistant. I really like my boss as well as the amount of people I have helped throughout the years whether being projects or just keeping company and maintaining the labs.
Worked for the school.
Event Setup Crew (Former Employee) –  Cedar Falls, IAMay 13, 2017
I worked for 2 months before getting a new job. This job was okay but we would work late into the night for pretty low pay and bad management. We would be given tasks at the beginning and then he would leave and we would never see him.
Pros
Learned to read a setup
Cons
Late nights, low pay.