University of Notre Dame Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Political work place
Instrumentation & Controls Technician (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INApril 27, 2018
Be prepared to play politics in the workplace and try not to tick off your boss. For facility jobs they pay much less than the going rate at other universities or workplaces.
Pros
Great Campus
Cons
Political
University of Notre Dame
Senior Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INApril 12, 2018
Very good people and atmosphere. Hard to move up in your career at the time I worked there. South Bend is a college town, but has many resources for students and employees in the area.
Football is the main thing talked about at the university.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Hard to move up
Beautiful Campus
Campus Safety (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INApril 11, 2018
Notre Dame is a booming community. Many departments across campus have employees who love coming to work and being part of something great. The security department, unfortunately, is not one of those departments.
Collaborative Environment
Associate Director, Play Like a Champion Today (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INApril 7, 2018
As an alum I'm proud to say I worked at the University of Notre Dame du lac. Phenomenal school, phenomenal people and a phenomenal message in supporting the growth and development of young people.
Excellent Labs
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2018
Working as a student assistant was excellent. Very competent lab professors provide plenty of information, and you work with very high end equipment. The students are whip-smart, helping them was both a challenge and a privilege.
great palce to work
Cook 1 (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INApril 5, 2018
a fast paced environment loved interacting with the students. learning is mandatory we had weekly sessions on how to improve quality of food management listend to students and employees input love love love it
Pros
learning new techniques for cooking food
Cons
short breaks if we got busy
A place where the employees have many benefits.
Administrative Assistant/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INMarch 27, 2018
A great place to work. Parking, wellness and fitness facilities. The University has many learning possibilities for their employees. On boarding process for new employees.
Pros
Benefits, computer classes, career training/advancement
Cons
The performance review process.
Operations Intern
Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INMarch 27, 2018
Great internship experience where you are given the change to work on important projects that directly affect the University's mission. The mentor program also pairs you with a professional in the office that is great for advice. Office perks like free lunches and gym space are great.
Depends on your department
Research Assistant in Electrical Engineering (Current Employee) –  SouMarch 12, 2018
Good experience so far. The graduate students are taken care of with respect to funding and health benefits.
One disadvantage is the location, there is not much fun things to do around.
ok
Undergraduate Biology Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INMarch 12, 2018
Working here was alright. It was difficult to work there as an undergrad because the pay was so little. If I had a different position other then what I did im sure it would have been more manageable,e to make a living here.
Normal grad student experience
Graduate Student, Biological Sciences (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INFebruary 28, 2018
My experience at Notre Dame was that of a normal PhD student. I worked 80 hour weeks for a really great PI. In the spring semester, I would TA for about 15 hours a week as well.
Great place to intern as a student
Head of Marketing for Notre Dame Baseball (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INFebruary 24, 2018
I was able to earn great experience through this university following a career ending injury. Being the director of community service, social media and a student assistant coach on the baseball team has led to great experience for me.
Military
Sr. Military Instructor (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INFebruary 22, 2018
Military mission to teach and prepare future Army officers through the Army ROTC program.

The best part of the job is to see young people who aspire to serve their country complete the program and become officers.
Pros
Good job for someone who is making plans for militray retirement
Cons
difficult transition from being with soldiers to instructing cadets
Work experience and the feedback!
Coordinator, Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INFebruary 11, 2018
I have learnt team building and coaching other employees. sometimes other employees needs attention from their managers and supervisors. I learnt that i have always to give them my time and share ideas about what i need and listen to their opinions. When managers do not have time for the employees that is when you start realizing that you are left with 2 employees, management is the key foundation for the organization to keep running. If the employees are well treated or being disrespected by managers there is a high turnover definitely.
Culture brings good communication between employees and managers. when an employees has some confusion on certain things, they always have to come and ask, as an organizational culture to support employees always help and bring the good moral to the employees, and stimulate the reputation.

It is always hard when there is lack of trust, no royalty, communication no being transparent and so many reasons. The work becomes harder since employees do not get to understand their tasks or the communication is not open to the whole team.

Most of the time i enjoy when i get along with the team and my manager tells me the feedback about my performance. then there is fun at work and i serve and deliver in good spirit.
Pros
Free lunch and educational programs
Cons
No room for growth
Great, fun research environment
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INFebruary 9, 2018
Spent two years during college in research labs under two different professors. Both were great people and took the time to teach and help you develop.
A fun place to work while learning new skill sets.
Donor Services, Support Specialist Seasonal Staff (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INFebruary 6, 2018
I have had the privilege and honor to work in Donor Services, in the Office of Development, at the University of Notre Dame. I was a seasonal employee hired to assist with processing the end of year donations. It was a wonderful opportunity, and I benefitted from the work I was doing and learned so much. The positive attitudes of the staff members made each day enjoyable. The management took the time to train for the position, and everyone was helpful when questions were asked. I gained new skills that can be transferred to other job opportunities. Everyone works together as a team and helped where needed.
I was impressed and very excited to see the generosity and the investments the donors continue to make year after year. The commitment the staff shows towards their positions makes you feel driven to excel in the work you are doing. After working in a seasonal position, and enjoying the environment and personalities, it made leaving my position a hard thing to do. I had a wonderful experience and I would love to work there again. I definitely would recommend others to seek employment at the University of Notre Dame.
Pros
Learn new skills, work with staff that enjoy their jobs and have a positive attitude, able to be proud of the place you work at.
Cons
Seasonal and temporary positions, you just learn the requirements well and adjust to the environment and the position comes to a end.
Department of Development is Second to None
Associate Director, Department of Development (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INFebruary 2, 2018
Notre Dame is completely invested in its employees. The benefits are amazing, the workplace culture is positive and motivating, and you are challenged every day to give your best to the University's mission. I love that I work with people who are much, much smarter than me so I can always learn and grow.
not applicable
Associate, Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJanuary 30, 2018
I was a student therefore a review would not be applicable. I was working there as a student and it would not be fair for me to review. From what I could see it did appear to be a great place to work.
Paid fellowship
Research Associate, Department of English (Former Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJanuary 30, 2018
While I did not have a staff position, I had a paid fellowship at the University which I greatly enjoyed. I also got to observed regular paid staff, it struck me that it was a great place to work.
Great job for someone without kids/family
Office Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Notre Dame, INJanuary 23, 2018
I work a lot of hours and rarely get days off so to have a family is just not doable. I would like to eventually have children and i can't while working here. Fun job, great management for the most part, football season is hectic but rewarding
Pros
benefits, discounts, free food, training
Cons
long hours, lack of work/life balance, short breaks