University of Oregon Employee Reviews

Free tuition plus stipend for teaching one course
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 6, 2018
I was a teaching assistant while getting an M.A. degree in Spanish Literature. This job was only for the duration of my year and a half period of study. I taught beginning Spanish one hour a day, five days a week. Because of this, out of state tuition was free and I got $450/month.
Pros
got paid
Cons
low pay
Great place to work.
Grants & Contracts Technician (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 5, 2018
Everyone worked on their own and we came together during staff meetings to help one another out. The hardest part of the job was ineffective Principal Investigators during a grant proposal submission.
Pros
Worked on my own.
Cons
Worked on my own.
It was a great place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 3, 2018
I enjoyed my time teaching at the University of Oregon. It was a nice place to work and the workplace culture was excellent. My supervisor was very helpful.
Fast paced and demanding
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 26, 2018
Average days were filled with tedious, repetitive tasks or important, time sensitive research. Management was as helpful as they were allowed to be. Workplace was both collaborative and competitive at once. Stressful, but not completely unreasonable.
Pros
Access
Cons
Limited advancement
Excellent professors.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 26, 2018
The professors at the University of Oregon (at least in the sciences) couldn't get better. They bring their passion into their class rooms and share it with their students. I haven't met a professor who doesn't have great first hand experience from working in cutting edge labs or companies.
Pros
Professors are outstanding.
Cons
Administration runs the campus like a for profit business.
Great Place to Work
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 15, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time at UO and look back on those days and appreciate them. A lot of work to get done but UO does a great job at selecting awesome employees that fit well within their mission and structure. Great university and great colleagues.
Pros
Flexibility, Co-workers, Tuition Discount
Cons
Occasional long work days, heavy workload
Good experience
Graduate Employee-Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 15, 2018
It was an overall great learning experience! The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching undergraduate classes in so many different art history subjects.
Excellent university. High academic standards, very supportive with an excellent social conscience.
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 15, 2018
I chose this university because it had world leaders in my chosen field of research. They have proven track records and are pursuing exciting avenues of research. They gave me opportunities to contribute to leadership within the department.
Pros
High academic standards. Very supportive.
Cons
Limited post doctoral opportunities.
meh
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 12, 2018
it was ok. there was no way to advance further where I was and I got stuck in a dead end lab job which caused me to get out research. the benefits were good, but I was making way too little.
Great benefits, slow advancement, political nightmare
Classified Staff (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 11, 2018
As a classified staff person, my benefits and job security were amazing. However, promotion or advancement was not encouraged. Both were based on years of experience alone and not how well the job was done or the motivation of the employee. University politics reigned all--managers moved in and out on the whim of whoever happened to be dean or president. Most of the deans had one foot out the retirement door and cared very little for employees.
good experience, low compensation
Instructor/Graduate Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 6, 2018
I was a graduate student teaching one, lower level Spanish course (each term) for five days a week in the mornings. I continued to learned how to motivate aspiring language learners. Management was very supportive and the workplace culture was collaborative. The hardest part of my job was not being compensated enough to earn a living. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping students smile when they had a successful moment with the language!
Pros
collaborative environment
Cons
low compensation
Easy Job, Good Experience
IT Help Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 4, 2018
This was the perfect job to have as a student. They are very accommodating to the school/work/social life schedule. I learned a lot and communication was very clear and prompt.
Typical work day
Paint/ Maintenance Crew (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 22, 2018
Paint dorms and basement. Repair furniture. Refurbish furniture. Assemble furniture. Lead crew of other student workers. Check the other student's work.
Typical Day
Computer Help Desk/ Tech Desk Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 22, 2018
Sit at help desk. Maintain printers and computers. Clean printers and computers. Answer patron's questions. Help patrons with basic technology problems
It's a great student job
Instructor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 3, 2018
There isn't much to say about the job. It's a great place to work for students being flexible. However the wage isn't much so you wont be able to live on the wage alone.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low Wages
Campus Contractor
General Contractor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 28, 2018
I would arrive at the shop at 6:00 am. I'd have a meeting with my co-workers and go over our plan for the day, then proceed to the damaged places on campus to repair what was needed. We also would have the responsibility of setting up for events and cleaning them afterward. This job was great for me to learn how to fix different types of things and apply them to my life outside of work as well. A benefit of work was the free basketball games because it is my favorite sport and I was able to go with my co-workers.
Pros
Basket ball games, work environment
Cons
Weather, short breaks
Productive job with great cohorts
Caterer (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 24, 2018
Easy job for a college student, they work well around class schedules and other commitments you might have. Great staff of college and non college students.
Pros
Free food
Cons
No set schedule
Impacting the lives of others
Recruitment Chairman (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 18, 2018
Voted into an executive position amongst my Fraternity members. Given the responsibility to host a 2-week recruitment process with the goals of finding the next possible candidates to join our fraternity. Forced to display significant characteristics of social intelligence, and develop 5 to 10 minute relationships with over 100 kids in order to find the best possible men to lead our fraternity to greater achievements. Taught me discipline, leadership, and management. With a $16,000 recruitment budget, given to me by the fraternity, I managed to find 38 individuals, with the help of my fraternity members, who we believed were the right candidates to help improve the longevity of our fraternity.
Pros
Broadening my friendships amongst individuals at the University of Oregon
Cons
Trying to have a conversation with 5 guys at one time who don't know one another.
Good for a student
Lead Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 16, 2018
There is nothing a full time student can complain about in regards to working here. The people are friendly, it is a positive environment, and we get to do fun things every once in a while.
Productive and Friendly work environment
Development Assistant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 5, 2018
Usually a loud and interactive workspace with very friendly coworkers. A very casual work culture. The hardest part of the job was having to be extremely detail oriented.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Oregon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight