University of Oregon Employee Reviews

good
Biophysics Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 8, 2018
I worked as an undergraduate in several research labs aswell as in the chemistry stockroom and as an undergraduate TA. overall experience was good, although the majority of my jobs were not intended for non-students.
excellent
Executive Assistant to the VPFA & CFO (Current Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 3, 2018
I have experienced a collaborative and supportive environment, a great place to work. I would highly recommend the institution as an employer and feel fortunate to be part of the team.
A good balance between work and school
Student Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  OregonSeptember 25, 2018
Most employees are also students and the University offers plenty of positions that prioritize education over work. The hours are decent for part-time.
Good
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 24, 2018
I had word at the University of Oregon as a student. It terms of pay it was good and it was not bad. I greatly enjoyed working with the employees and employers at the university. Employers understand that you are a student first and care about your education.
U of O Coffee Outlets
Barista (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 24, 2018
Honestly, if you get a chance to work at the coffee outlets... DO IT! Super relaxed and fun. Not a lot of stress and the kids there are great. You won't have any problems as long as you are not late every single day and don't know what espresso is...
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Less than average work experience
Fun place to work
Restaurant Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 13, 2018
The job is definitely fast paced but there are times that you can train on different skills and learn more so hours can be coordinated more around your ability to work different positions. The culture is more college oriented and sanitation is huge. Overall, the hours do not increase until school is back in session. Good part time gig.
Pros
Benefits and insurance, culture, on campus
Cons
On campus, fast paced, lack of hours in the summer
Loved working here
Research Assistant to Michael I. Posner (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORSeptember 10, 2018
Working at the university of oregon got my foot in the door at other institutions. I had an opportunity to work with amazing people who value work/life balance. Would highly recommend working there.
Good company to work for in Oregon
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORAugust 18, 2018
I was a graduate student in Oregon. They paid us very well and provided good health insurance. I enjoyed working at the University but it wasn't really student focused. They focus heavily on the administration at the UO.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
No advancement as a grad student
Okay Work for graduate student
Graduate Employee, Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 24, 2018
If you don't like teaching undergraduates, don't do it. The hours are flexible, but the compensation isn't enough. Grading is difficult to accomplish when trying to meet your own academic deadlines.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Bad compensation
Great to be part of the mathematics department, teaching while studying as well
Graduate Teaching Fellow (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 11, 2018
Taught mathematics courses, created my own curriculum using the math department outline. Used Word, Excel, LaTeX (a document preparation system favored for writing containing a lot of mathematical symbols), among other programs to create study packets and exams. Tutored students in smaller groups during office-hours. Worked with members of the mathematics department to create mid-term and final exams which met the standards of the department.
Free tuition plus stipend for teaching one course
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 6, 2018
I was a teaching assistant while getting an M.A. degree in Spanish Literature. This job was only for the duration of my year and a half period of study. I taught beginning Spanish one hour a day, five days a week. Because of this, out of state tuition was free and I got $450/month.
Pros
got paid
Cons
low pay
Great place to work.
Grants & Contracts Technician (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 5, 2018
Everyone worked on their own and we came together during staff meetings to help one another out. The hardest part of the job was ineffective Principal Investigators during a grant proposal submission.
Pros
Worked on my own.
Cons
Worked on my own.
It was a great place to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJuly 3, 2018
I enjoyed my time teaching at the University of Oregon. It was a nice place to work and the workplace culture was excellent. My supervisor was very helpful.
Fast paced and demanding
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 26, 2018
Average days were filled with tedious, repetitive tasks or important, time sensitive research. Management was as helpful as they were allowed to be. Workplace was both collaborative and competitive at once. Stressful, but not completely unreasonable.
Pros
Access
Cons
Limited advancement
Excellent professors.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 26, 2018
The professors at the University of Oregon (at least in the sciences) couldn't get better. They bring their passion into their class rooms and share it with their students. I haven't met a professor who doesn't have great first hand experience from working in cutting edge labs or companies.
Pros
Professors are outstanding.
Cons
Administration runs the campus like a for profit business.
Great Place to Work
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 15, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time at UO and look back on those days and appreciate them. A lot of work to get done but UO does a great job at selecting awesome employees that fit well within their mission and structure. Great university and great colleagues.
Pros
Flexibility, Co-workers, Tuition Discount
Cons
Occasional long work days, heavy workload
Good experience
Graduate Employee-Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 15, 2018
It was an overall great learning experience! The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching undergraduate classes in so many different art history subjects.
Excellent university. High academic standards, very supportive with an excellent social conscience.
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 15, 2018
I chose this university because it had world leaders in my chosen field of research. They have proven track records and are pursuing exciting avenues of research. They gave me opportunities to contribute to leadership within the department.
Pros
High academic standards. Very supportive.
Cons
Limited post doctoral opportunities.
meh
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORJune 12, 2018
it was ok. there was no way to advance further where I was and I got stuck in a dead end lab job which caused me to get out research. the benefits were good, but I was making way too little.
Great benefits, slow advancement, political nightmare
Classified Staff (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 11, 2018
As a classified staff person, my benefits and job security were amazing. However, promotion or advancement was not encouraged. Both were based on years of experience alone and not how well the job was done or the motivation of the employee. University politics reigned all--managers moved in and out on the whim of whoever happened to be dean or president. Most of the deans had one foot out the retirement door and cared very little for employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Oregon. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.6Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

University of Oregon Reviews by Location