University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
I really enjoy work with Penn
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 11, 2018
I really enjoy work with Penn and I have been working there for three years and still didn't get hire I have been filling out apps at home at least 3 to 4 a day and still no hire or call.
Pros
nice lunch
Cons
seems like they only hire within
Interesting academic culture
Course Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 11, 2018
Penn is a huge academic institution that has lots of interesting things going on if one knows how to find them. The School of Nursing is rated the #1 nursing school in the country, with a very competitive environment.
Pros
tuition benefit after 3 years full time
Cons
competitive environment
Penn is just a name
Triage Nurse (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 6, 2018
Management is horrible throughout the organization but your peers are good people. Lots of politics. People promoted because of who they know not because they are qualified.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Manageement and Pay, Not Union
Great Job!
Residential Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 5, 2018
Great Place to work and grow as a professional. A person can learn a lot and move from one department to another. Excellent training opportunities. Meet new and interesting employees.
Pros
time off
Cons
can be stressful at times
seasonal
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 5, 2018
Good ongoing job. On coming students were very respectful and well manner . This job also was a good experience to learn at the time....................................
Good Opportunities
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2018
The research capacity at the University of Pennsylvania is excellent. I did not find a lab that spoke to my passions, but the general work environment is fairly good and lab members are very knowledgeable.
Patient Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PAJune 27, 2018
The managers really help the employees succeed in their position. The benefits are excellent and the group of people that I met there was terrific. I highly recommend it!
Great Place
Associate Director of Undergraduate Financial Aid (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2018
This has been a great experience. This university is full of history, richness and tradition. The office culture is one that is inclusive and supportive.
very busy all the time
was a unit manager of a campus dining hall (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 22, 2018
Working in a dining hall at UPENN was a very busy time . The dining hall I was a manager at served 1200 students in 2 and one half hours.
We also went thru two management companies when I was employed there
What you would expect from internship
Research Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 21, 2018
It was an internship, but they were super helpful in helping me learn new skills in the psychology field. There was maximum access to the medical professionals, and they were always open to answering questions.
Wonderful environment and benefits
Executive Director of Finance & Administration (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 15, 2018
Working at the University of Pennsylvania is a wonderful experience. The environment is collaborative. At times the bureaucracy can be overwhelming, but all in all, it is a wonderful experience.
Dull Workplace with Occasionally Interesting Work
Technology Coop (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 12, 2018
Not a tremendously fun place to work. I had a six-month coop here and the work was infrequent. The boss was terrific and the work I did do was interesting, but it wasn't a very fulfilling job.
productive
Graduate Assistant at the ELX library (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 10, 2018
I was a research assistant, working for an intermediate-level Chinese course. The professor was very generous and patient. I learned a lot from him, and enjoyed the working environment a lot!
Great full time career at Penn
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 9, 2018
Awesome benefits, paid time off, vacation, and sick days etc., union operated and job security. Management can be intimidating sometimes, many supervisors per building or locale. After probation which is 60 days your able to select a work assignment that comfortable
Pros
Free tuition, union benefits and services, yearly raise and seniority system
Cons
Numerous supervisors per work assignment, non paid lunch, no leadership positions
Productive and fun work place
Assisting end users (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 8, 2018
Productive and fun work place . I recommend every one to work there at some point . I had fun working with all the teams and spending time after work .
A good atmosphere
Research Specialist C/Lab Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 1, 2018
A good place to work with great benefits, I great experience though security of science jobs in academia is shaking because every position is based on grant funding.
benefits
Cons
job security
Good Place to work
Business Administrator B (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 31, 2018
Pay ranges should be higher but overall its a great place to work at, especially if you take advantage of all of the perks. Great location for public transportation.
Fast paced and a fun work place
Cage Wash Technician (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 31, 2018
Upenn is a very fast pace environment you always on your feet always have to be willing to help and also UPenn is very fun and everyone is approachable and nice
Pros
Flexibility
Good University
Postdoctorate Fellow (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 31, 2018
Great place to work in terms of quality of people. However living costs are high and a postdoctorate salary is low, therefore it hard to stay in the place and live well.
Great benefits
Manager, Abramson Cancer Center (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 25, 2018
If you have children, it's a great place to work because their college costs are covered as a benefit to all full-time employees.
If you are career driven, you may want to work elsewhere. However, if you know how to play the game and are well liked, you will go far.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pennsylvania. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight