University of Pennsylvania
Here to help
Coronavirus update

University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

United States886 reviews
These are the nicest people I have ever worked with in a respiratory department. Loved the staff and management. Just a great bunch and very supportive.
I'm luck enough to have a super supportive supervisor and a bunch of smart colleagues to work with. Learned tons of new skills from this job. Great tuition benefits!
It was on college campus so the experience was amazing because I didn’t get a chance to go to college because I was having a son around the time but bas is when I had to miss work to be there for him so they released me
I can only speak for my department/school but the culture and work environment is horrible. Professors and senior staff treat you like garbage, knowing they will never face discipline or lose their jobs. HR is here to help the school and not you, don’t even bother. I knew immediately, my first day, that I made a mistake. I miss working with nice, caring, people. If you like the competitive, back stabbing world of academia and don’t mind crying in your office and when you boss calls you on Saturdays and Sundays then come on in!
Otherwise, stay where you are-the job you are currently in isn’t that bad, trust me.

Pros
I mean, it’s nice to have benefits
Cons
See above
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
it is a great place to work! nice people and always willing to help. i met a lot of great people who I can learn from. so overall, I would recommend you to work there if you need an on-campus job.
● Overall
Good place to work. Good benefits. A lot of people stay there for several years. Educational benefits well. Easy to get to via public transportation. Driving to this location is a nightmare
Penn is an open place to work in most parts of the organization just no room for growth to see pass entry level positions if you are not acquainted with the higher ups!
Pros
The people whom I’ve encountered the most genuinely nice folks
Cons
No growth
UPenn is a great place to work with a relaxed and supportive atmosphere. Wonderful colleagues here! The University provides many benefits designed to enhance both the professional and personal lives of their employees, including a generous tuition reimbursement program, paid time off and sick leave policies and flexible schedules and work hour policies.
Pros
Tuition benefits, supportive and collaborative atmosphere, flexible hours and benefits designed to enhance both professional and personal life.
I really like this place because the people working with me are very nice and we are always productive! We usually discuss a lot of projects and give effective feedbacks each other. This place is where I can grow!
My overall experience of working for the work ready program at the university of Pennsylvania was good it was All about lessening and thinking outside the box and getting creative I had a good time because I worked with a couple of my friends and we still got the job done !
The work was wonderful. The skills of executive and middle management to create a culture of shared respect, appreciation, and support were lacking.
Pros
Working with brilliant minds on meaningful programs
Cons
Every individual is expendable
I worked with Upenn School of Dental medicine as a research Associate. It was amazing experience. I learned a lot from this experience in Pennsylvania.
I've found Penn to overall be a great place to work. It's such a large organization that each department will sometimes feel like its own unique company, so my experience won't be universal. And, like with any job, I've found that the people I'm working with are ultimately the biggest factor in determining my on-the-job happiness.

Penn has great benefits. Not only health benefits which are probably competitive with other employers, but also a tuition benefit (though how important that will be to you depends on whether you want to pursue a degree or even take classes for fun), an employee assistance program that will provide free therapy if you're looking for it, and a myriad of other benefits. Advancing within Penn can sometimes be tough, but again, that depends a lot of your department. It's not always easy at Penn for a new position to be created or an outright promotion to happen, but if you're in a department with a fair amount of turnover, you may be up for a more senior opening. I've also found that Penn takes legitimate efforts to maintain its workforce during economic downturns, and I've rarely heard of any layoffs.
Pros
Health and tuition benefits
Cons
Sometimes hard to advance
Up to 24 days paid vacation per year plus holidays
1 sick day earned per month

Tuition assistance for employees, employee spouses, and children

Up to 5% contribution-matching 401k

Employee recognition events for every 5 years of service
Pros
Up to 24 days paid vacation per year plus holidays, 1 sick day earned per month, Tuition assistance for employees, employee spouses, and children, Up to 5% contribution-matching 401k, Employee recognition events for every 5 years of service
Cons
Most positions are on-site so commuting can be difficult, Advancement can become limited as upper positions are rarely vacated
I love the people that work here and their dedication to Penn Athletics. We set up all of the Penn Athletics events and staff them. This includes working scoreboards and collecting balls that escape the field of play.
Teaching Assistant positions at the University of Pennsylvania are really nice to have! Pay well, not too much work, and you get to have meaningful interactions where you help students to succeed.
The place was very nice. The atmosphere was great. The work load was a lot there were days that seemed almost unmanageable. There is a lot of team work. The supervisor was new to the role and did not adjust to it well. The manager was great so we continued to approach them until we were told we had to talk to the supervisor. The supervisor was not ready for the position and it often very hard to talk to them because they seemed distracted and could never really give you time to explain you issues you have.
Pros
lab week games, benefits
Cons
holiday schedules, Eto
great school and absolutely the best classes. great environment where students felt at home and were constant;y challenged by rewarding coursework and classes.
Pros
great classes
The envoirmental team and everyone in the Hospital is friendly and wonderful I would recommend everyone to work for the Hospital team they appreciate you !
Make sure to negotiate a good salary because it'll be hard to get your classic promotion and then a raise. Great benefits if you intend on using them to their fullest. Check your lab and situation. It all depends on that.
Pros
Pto, 401k, some remote if you play it right
Cons
pay and bureaucracy. Feels stuck
Offers sitting and standing desks
Food and other social events

Great lounge areas