University of Pennsylvania Employee Reviews

Great after college part-time employer with lots of potential
Programs Assistant, Recreation Administration (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2018
It was great turning my internship into part-time employment while I continued on to grad school. Penn has a great name in the community with lots of career opportunity it is just very competitive to get into.
Good Place to Work
PennComm Telecommunication Supervisor (Current Employee) –  4040 Chestnut StOctober 15, 2018
I was a great place to work. Sure every place has its ups and downs. However, I would not be leaving if I was not relocating, If you are thinking about a career here, I say go for it!
Collaborative and helpful
Guest Services Attendant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 15, 2018
I worked there for a short time, but found the working environment to be quite enjoyable. This was a summer position working at one of their dorms, whilst camps were being run within the dorm.
Best workplace
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 11, 2018
I worked part-time as a Graduate Assistant and it was my first place to work in the United States as I am an international student from Kazakhstan. The management and workplace culture is excellent.
Pros
Free coffee
Great Place to Learn and Grow
Veterinary Technician (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 6, 2018
UPenn is a great place to learn and figure out what kind of career you want. There are lots of opportunities for growth and advancement within the different schools. I started working here for my career straight out of high school and ended up enrolled at the school a few years later. They provide tuition assistance to all full-time employees immediately after hire, no wait time. The process is effortless and my managers have been great with allowing me the flexibility to attend classes on campus. The pay is good, it allows for a comfortable living with great benefits.
Pros
Tuition Assistance, Stable Income
Cons
Short Breaks
always a good contributo
Technician Department of Cardiology (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 4, 2018
invariably contributes to the general good and avoids consequences that might hurt others. promises are always kept and commitments are always honored.
Patient Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19104September 27, 2018
Penn was a great place to work for me because I had the ability to interact with all types of people.. I loved my co-workers and doctors. Compensation was low in comparison to other area hospitals
"Leadership" Change is Long Overdue
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 27, 2018
It is great to be a part of this exceptional university and campus. Benefits from tuition remission to vacation time are truly great. However, the micro-management, kindergarten-style upper management lack of leadership kills creativity and destroys teamwork and trust. You’ll need to be your own best motivator as there is little positive recognition for being a customer-oriented performer. Much effort is diverted from serving the customer to in-house CYA documentation as protection from arbitrary, upper management accusations. There is no opportunity for advancement as a Project Manager in the Design and Construction group.
Benefits
Cons
No positive recognition, award, or advancement
job culture
Telemetry Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 25, 2018
tertiary care hospital with a cultural approach to care. I loved working at this hospital. I have great memories. great place to enhance your professional growth
great place to work
Program Director BMT/Leukemia (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 20, 2018
Pennsylvania first University, loaded with history with many famous alumni. Fantastic employee and family benefits, options for advancement, diverse place to work
I love my job as a study coordinator and work along side a great team of coworkers
Clinical Trials Research Nurse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA 19104September 19, 2018
Wonderful place to work. The position is rewarding working with subjects that I can put on my own schedule. The nurse manager is fair and great to work with everyday.
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 17, 2018
The University of Pennsylvania is a well established school, and they are willing to pay their employees handsomely in order to compensate the work that is being done.
Pros
the pay
University of Penn
Director PNN Continence Program (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 16, 2018
I worked on a specific project. I designed the project. I was poorly supported but very successful. The most enjoyable part of the job were the patients I treaed
Good experience
Graduate Associate (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 15, 2018
Good experience at the University of Pennsylvania. I have learned a lot and enjoyed the classes that I have taken there. I have also gotten involved in many extracurricular activities and have enjoyed them a lot.
Exposure to some of the most creative minds encountered
Undergraduate Coordinator - Department of Chemical (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 12, 2018
The thrill and constant appeal of working at the University of Pennsylvania has always been the privilege of working with the students. Have, since the day I started there in 1981, been impressed with the minds of the students and their ability to see solutions to problems. Having worked in the School of Engineering for all but three months in my tenure at Penn, I have met students and faculty, as well as staff, who have inspired me with their insight and intellect. An honor to have worked there!
Pros
Tuition benefits, health benefits, working with students.
Cons
Brilliant minds and large egos often accompanied by high intolerance for ordinary.
Productive and Fun
French Instructo (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 2, 2018
This was a long time ago. I was a lecturer in French language and literature. I taught college students of all ages. I really enjoyed French 1 the most because I could see the progression from no knowledge to some knowledge.
Pros
Part-time
Cons
Work was not consistant
good work place
Custodian/Handyman (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 28, 2018
same routine everyday very nice people the union was very good to me and all bosses are respectful the overtime was always there and everyone was very fair to me
Very flexible work hours
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 23, 2018
Very flexible work hours with a great work/life balance culture.
My supervisor is a great guy. He makes us feel like we work with him and not for him.

The University offers plenty of tools to improve skillsets and knowledge overall.
Pros
Flexible work hours and a lot of PTO
Cons
Don't seem interested in motivating their employees through tangible compensation
Great place to work!
Account Manager, Penn Publication Services (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2018
Enjoyed my time working at Penn. Leading University. Ivy League. Brand of excellence translated across the board. Collaborative department. Creative services. Opportunity to work with many people across the university. Would still be working there if the department had not been terminated due to fiscal cuts.
Pros
Environment, compensation, Penn brand of excellence, etc.
Cons
Hit hard by the recession and declining industry services
Smart colleagues and freedom to innovate, despite poor management
IT Manager, IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 18, 2018
This review pertains only to the IT department for the University as a whole. I experienced good work-life balance with flexible hours and the ability to work from home. Most of my colleagues were smart and good to work with. Employees are afforded much freedom in how to go about their jobs and which technology solutions to pursue, which can be good or bad. Unfortunately poor management made the overall experience increasingly stressful and demoralizing over the years. Most managers are long-time technical staff who have poor management skills and no accountability. They seem to have lifetime tenure despite poor performance. Constant re-organization has failed to address the problem and instead caused morale problems and career uncertainty for staff.
Pros
flexible hours and workplace
Cons
culture and management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pennsylvania. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight