University of Phoenix

University of Phoenix Employee Reviews

United States2,442 reviews

Found 2,442 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,455 reviews

Fast paced Hustle

The reward outweighs the pay here. The pay is decent but the reward of helping someone accomplish a milestone in life is well worth the hustle. Workplace culture is what you make of it . The hardest part of the job is maintaining a steady schedule of applicants. The easy part is guiding a prospect through the process. So much more to private education than people think

Pros

The gratitude you get from graduates

Cons

The complaints along the way

Fast paced and rewarding

The job moved quickly but you learn a lot and there are no inbound calls. The office was in a nice area and the university hosted a lot of events and had a very large cafeteria on site.

Stressful, fast-paced work with good benefits.

I worked at UoP for two years, and left because I was having another baby and didn't want to work a high-stress full-time job. I liked my team and my manager, but they are very performance driven and expect big results when a lot of things are outside of your control. Pay was good, I liked the campus. I loved getting a free college degree. My only complaint is that I didn't like the overall company. They felt predatory and enrollment is very pushy. I didn't necessarily feel like we were helping the majority of students. As an academic counselor, I would get newly enrolled students, and often found that they were not prepared or didn't understand the basics of their program and it's requirements. Like people started an expensive degree program that don't even have internet access - situations where community college would probably benefit them more. After a while, that felt yucky and I was relieved to leave.

The work was stable and the people were all really nice.

University of Phoenix has come a long way. They make an effort to build a positive company culture, which is nice. The work isn't the most stimulating, but it's fine if you're looking for something stable.

Pros

Kind people, stable company

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for growth

Excellent leadership.

Great leaders within every College, investing in the culture and development of skills needed to carry out job duties. Great assessment strategies implemented for success at every level. Great marketing team! Overall, producing solid career-focused degrees and supporting adult learners through all along the way through their degree program.

Overall it’s a great place if you live to help people

However, it’s more like selling education, persuading/convincing students to enroll. Trying everything to get them in, many many surprised everyday. Not enough pay for all the task, they want you to reach the same AOP as senior reps who have been there decades. Mentally draining, not enough a vacation time. Too much work to do for little pay, plus taxes and 401k it’s like you basically work $13-15 an hr to be stressed and worked over.

Colleagues and helping students and alumni

a typical day at work is longwhat you learnedmanagement can't be trusted for job securityworkplace culture is all talkthe hardest part of the jobthe most enjoyable part of the job is remote work and colleagues

Pros

colleagues; remote work

Cons

compensation

Interesting way to teach, not a very supportive environment

Overall the concept is very interesting. The lack of support or even any communication at all from any type of mentor/manager is really lacking. Pay is very low comparatively.

Overall Great Company + Amazing Benefits!

I worked at UoPhx online for 8 years as an Enrollment Counselor. There was a lot of growth and changes continously happening as regulations changed and the company grew quickly. I enjoyed working independently and was good at my job and stayed focused so I never felt micro-managed. I enjoyed the autonomy and building relationships with my students. It was a kind of "soft sales" job as recruiter, but it was easy because it's an education and something that all your leads had directly expressed interest in pursuing. I spent about 3-6 hours a day on the phones talking to students and being their main point of contact in there initial first months. I enjoyed helping them have a smooth transition into an online university and helping them in whatever ways I could so to help retain them at UoPhx. Overall I really loved my job and felt very rewarded about the work I was doing. They love hard working motivated people who can work independently. You will have your own cubical that is low so you can see everyone on your team and on the call center floor. Some people work from home. Typically work for 8 hours +1hr lunch break in the middle of your shift. Depending on which division you work in, you can work Day shifts (6am-10am start), Swing shifts (1pm to 3pm start), or Graveyard shifts as there are Counselors available to help students all over the world. I worked Militart division as I was prior service. Some people worked from home, or 4 day shifts for 10 hour days + 1 hour lunches in between their shifts. Your tuition is free and you are supported and commended for taking classes -

Pros

Autonomy, Great bonuses, Great benefits, Stock options, Lots of Perks, Onsite Gym, Huge Cafeteria, Flexible Days and Hours, Work from home options, Free College Classes!!!

Cons

Pressure to hit numbers, Competitve to move up to Management/Sr Management

Too many “decisions” by too many “managers

The environment was toxic, no advancement. The managers knew little to assist, and changes were often swift with no advance notice. There’s no work/family balance. They don’t care what is happening, you are to be on the phones hitting high productivity rates

Just okay

The best part is getting to help many students reach their goal of earning a college degree. There are constant changes and we’re required to keep up with all the changes.

Pros

Great team

Cons

Outdated tasks

Good job, but unstable expectations

The benefits and perks, make it worth hanging around, but you never really know if you are completing your job in a way the meets the expectations of the business, as targets constantly shift, and expectations change from quarter to quarter. You also have to figure out how to do your job on your own, training and development for specific job roles is lacking. When you are shifted from one role to another, with differing expectations and role responsibilities, it's nice not to be let go, but they don't really help you excel in the new position. However, there are resources that you can find, and seek out that are made available, through online learning platforms. You're just not sure which one's are right for you, or for your role, which leads to a little trial and error. It would be nice if there was a more prescriptive training program for success.All in all, it's not a bad place to work, I feel people and leadership genuinely care, but they have little time to develop and work with their teams, since they are also expected to run the business. VP's, and Directors who also act as managers are spread way to thin, and they have too much to manage, to help individuals and teams develop.

I loved it!

I loved working there. Excellent place to work with amazing benefits in healthcare and education. I had 22 positions in 15 years which was a little much but I’m grateful for the multiple advancements.

Pros

Culture people education

Cons

Little work/life balance.

They focused on sales and not much else. The have a very good mission but they seemed to lose focus after their first few years.

They really focused on sales and not much else. Management received many complaints and chose to look the other way. The hours were long and the work was hard.

Pros

Technology

Cons

Not student focused.

Good support.

The University provides good support, training, and connects us with other professionals. We have access to meetings, webinars, and online connections.

Pros

Remote teaching.

Cons

There aren't any.

Just eh..

Working as an Enrollment Rep. Job title an description was NOT as advertised. No mention of being on a dialer all day which is the worst part of the job. You’ll be working with a student trying to get their documents ready for enrollment and phone calls come through from people who have expressed interest. It can be nonstop and really back up your work. Work items are ridiculous as they sometimes have you doing the exact same thing over and over and there are times you’re calling a prospective student 7-10 times a day!!! No too mention all the “automatic” emails and texts that are sent out. It’s worse than telemarketing. All that said, when you do speak with a legit student who’s ready for school, it’s neat to get them through the process and enrolled for school.

Pros

Managers are decent and seem to care. Benefits are great. Remote work.

Cons

Everything is metrics driven. Calls per day, talk time, number of students enrolled per month, even work you do off the phone. You’re on a dialer all day which is ridiculous, you should be able to work with your students, not constantly call, email and text people who just wanted more info.

Good workplace

Good place to work but work is sporadic and not guaranteed. It is hard to know when a class will be offered. Training is offered to help keep current.

Pros

Good resources

Cons

No clear system for how jobs are offered.

Nice work environments with Good technology and hybrid learning experience

Opportunity to networkSatisfaction of teaching new nursesSupplies providedFaculty space is goodLearning resources very helpfulThe work load consists of lecture preparation and 4 hour lectures and assignment correction.

Pros

Hourly pay opportunity, Retirement pay, Hybrid learning, Online work streamlined

Cons

Hours provided to prepare are lean at times, Lecture content refresh delays requires additional work to provide current content

Cool

This is a good place to work if you know what to expect and get on a good team. Work from home for most of the company. My manger was great. I got laid off (downsizing) and that part wasn’t handled well.

Pros

Free education

Cons

Lay offs

Faculty is treated poorly

Faculty is highly micromanaged. I have worked here for 13 years and in the last 5 years the workload for faculty has gone up exponentially. Pay is equivalent to about $15/hr give the class roster of 30 or so students with paper due every week. Expect to work 7 days a week. You must respond to a student’s message within 24 hours. You must not go greater than 24 hours without posting in your classroom. students are often not prepared to be in college and need extensive help with things like writing sentences and what is an appropriate source to use. Faculty is closely monitored and if you do not respond to students within 24 hours or if you go more than 48 hours without posting in your classroom you will be reprimanded

Pros

Online work from home

Cons

Low pay, high demand job

Great company to work for

I work here for a little over 2 years as an Administrative Assistant and was a part of the big layoff. The environment was professional but laid back. I really enjoyed the work and the staff. I definitely will be working there if I wasn't laid off.

Pros

Great working environment and room for growth

Cons

None beside the layoff

Common questions about University of Phoenix

Answered by current and former employees at University of Phoenix

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Phoenix. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight