University of Phoenix Employee Reviews

Very political and Controlled by Central Administration
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis Park, MNJuly 19, 2018
Very controlled courses and curriculum that were constantly subject to review by administration in Phoenix. Supervision of online courses were remotely supervised and faculty subject to reprimand and discipline based on those reviews without giving faculty the opportunity to respond.
Changes ruined the momentum and opportunities within
Pathways Enrollment Advisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 16, 2018
Upon my hire in 2009, opportunity was endless with this company. Soon after the witch hunt for online colleges changed the entire structure of the company. The opportunities for promotion and salary increases that were promised were quickly done away with and years of downsizing and cutting labor costs became the true mission.
great coworkers but poor management
SENIOR ACADEMIC COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 10, 2018
Probably a good starting job but not a good career choice. Pay starts out good. Raises few and far between. Currently little or no chance for advancement.
Great Place; Poor Vision
Academic Affairs Supervisor/Human Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 10, 2018
An awesome place to work that provides higher education those who did not or could not follow the normal path. Long term planning for growth was not handled properly.
Good Place to Work
Financial Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2018
A great place to work where you make an impact on others! I've learned and developed so much over the past 14 years here! The best part of the company is the people! The hardest part is the constant change but that also makes it fun!
e below
Associate Faculty (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 9, 2018
Excellent. I enjoyed the whole process from phone screen to in person group interview and presentation.

Typical day was mtself interacting with my students, encouraging them to voice their opinions and joing in on the conversations.

Students were taught to use critical thinking (outside the box) which University of Phoenix and I strongly encouraged.
Pros
Very professional
I miss working there
Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 9, 2018
I really miss the entire dynamics of working here. I had the BEST manager ever, the teams (we all know that things change frequently) I worked on I had amazing teammates!
Good Company
Professor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 6, 2018
University was very supportive, but unfortunately had major cutbacks in Jacksonville Florida area. This led to less students and less opportunities to teach.
na
Enrollment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJuly 5, 2018
I have been with UOPX for almost blank years and I love my job. I just want to challenge myself more to utilize my degrees. I would recommend UOPX for my friends and family to work.
Not a bad place to work
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJuly 5, 2018
Getting the paperwork done for teaching was frustrating, but the supervisor did a nice job of helping me with that. Teaching the classes was great; I would have loved to have continued working with them.
Pros
working with teachers
Cons
Another round of hires took away the opportunity to teach more classes.
Contract employee
SPE/594 Special Education Student Teaching Part (Former Employee) –  OnlineJuly 5, 2018
The enrollment dip resulted in a loss of employment. Initially, the trainer who worked with me was critical and disrespectful. I said if you don't want me to teach here then why don't you just tell me. She backed off and let me through the screening/training. After that the support was somewhat reasonable. They are very quick to criticize even when they have not provided information to help guide employees. Overall, the students were amazing and I loved the curriculum. In general I love UofPHX. They just need to be a bit friendlier to their teaching staff.
Pros
Good students
Cons
Critical trainers
Regrouping
Campus Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 5, 2018
Regrouping in face of increased competition, unwillingness to address poor employees, outstanding academic programs and employment assistance resources.
Constant job
temp service (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 3, 2018
The work was easy and simple trying to get students to come to our school online classes, Management was a little difficult to handle, but overall was a good job
Fun Place to Work
Corporate Education Liaison (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2018
I enjoyed working for the University of Phoenix. I began as an Enrollment Counselor and was promoted to Corporate Education Liaison and I really enjoyed that aspect and the interaction between the students and I. I received my Bachelor degree while employed. The interaction between students and faculty is great and I feel like the reason for that is the students are more open (communication wise) in an online environment and, in a classroom setting, students were more eager and confident to get it done.
Too bad its not the school John Sperling made
Previous manager in previous military department (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 28, 2018
Worked for 13 years and thought it was best place ever....then it slowly went down hill. There was a core of directors, vps and managers running it into the ground. Whole divisions that had top performers whipped out. Leaders with no experience and barely bachlors replacing tenured leaders with masters or doctorates. If you didnt kiss behinds or are part of in group say goodbye. Useless meetings were half the time was spent playing games or being presented "change of the month" by lower management because upper was clueless. Stuck with poor systems that excutives bought into after having previous better systems(salesforce)...it's been so sad seeing it go down hill..no loyalty, no trust.
Pros
Regional degrees, benefits, networking
Cons
Poor upper management, clicks, loss of so many great employees and keeping poor ones
Stressful Cut-throat Environment
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJune 27, 2018
University of Phoenix is a for-profit company that has great ethical guidelines and all bases covered but unfortunately care very little about their employees or students. The environment is very cut-throat and stress levels are elevated.
Pros
Great community building among co-workers.
Cons
Stressful demands and unreasonable deadlines with workload.
Fun lecture time
Professor of Psychology (Current Employee) –  downtown Colorado springsJune 26, 2018
A typical day was four hours of lecture, and two hours online communication, and about three hours a week of grading. Grading was done online and using the plagiarism checker Turn it In.com.
Pros
easy lecture
Cons
no payment for grading
Call Center environment
Financial Aid Advisor (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJune 26, 2018
Call Center environment. Receiving inbound and making outbound calls and reviewing student accounts for Title IV funding. Discussing payments and options for financial aid.
Great place to work!
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  OnlineJune 25, 2018
I loved working for the University of Phoenix. I taught online and I really enjoyed that aspect and the interaction between the students and I. I received my last 2 degrees in an online environment and feel that this is a great way to go. The interaction between students and faculty is great and I feel like the reason for that is the students are more open (communication wise) in an online environment versus a classroom setting where they may be shy or less willing to speak up and ask questions.
Was a very good place to work
Senior Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 25, 2018
Good learning environment, management made sure that all coaching needed was arranged. Compensation was well. Excellent culture. learning experience was consistence
Pros
constant learning
Cons
Laid off

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Phoenix. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.8Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.