University of Phoenix

3.7Pay & Benefits

Found 21 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,444 reviews

University of Phoenix insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility

You will be replaced

They pay online facilitators more each year you work there. So, after a few years, they replace you with someone entering in because they can pay them less money.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

You will be replaced, pay is mediocre

Started out working out well, then gradually corporate changed things until the constraints made the work no longer worth it to me.

At first it was great. I could teach multiple online classes and a few campus classes. I had some autonomy, while still adhering to text and syllabus requirements. Class size was increased. How one was to spend their time in the online classroom was changed. Basically, my per hour compensation kept decreasing, in spite of the occasional rate increase / class, due to additional constraints. I did appreciate the 401K. I could no longer fully support their educational business model.

Pros

401K. Initial freedom to use time individually. Students.

Cons

Increasing standardization of processes leading to decreased income.

Love working with students!

Plus: It’s a great place to work because focus is on student success, particularly for new students new to college. Negative: No pay raise since started in 2006.

Good place to work but expectations for working professionals is a bit off

UOP is a good place to work. They offer enough courses and their pay is equivalent to other online institutions. They have a high expecation of Faculty's involvement which is a little unreasonable for part time, associate faculty who have full time jobs They do respect their faculty but they push them as well.

Pros

Good pay, plenty of courses

Cons

Unreasonable expectations for Part Time engagement

Don't work there

Reduced compensation with additional required meetings and training. Not worth exploration as a real job. Faculty is now expected to conduct research.

Pros

Cons

Constant change with increased faculty expectatiions with no money

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.

Online, at home, distance learning.

As online faculty, it was difficult to appraise these qualities. It was difficult to appraise an organization which I didn't "participate" in except for being online.

Pros

Online; work at home

Cons

Work online alone

Better than you would think.

University of Phoenix may get some bad press for being a for-profit university, but the students, administration, and faculty are all top-notch. Standards at UoP are as high as any higher learning institution, but are more student-centered than most! Incoming faculty are highly trained and continuously developed to enhance learning objectives, raise the standards of instructional design, and improve the learning experience for students. They are passionate educators engaging with traditionally under-served students, and the impact of teaching here is real, and it is felt. That said, one will most likely not be able to sustain oneself as an adjunct faculty here. Apply as a second or even third teaching opportunity, and don't plan to rely on getting consistent scheduling. As the university constantly improves, be aware that shifting (rising) standards for faculty may mean less classes you are qualified to teach.

Pros

Good standards, good faculty training & support, excellent part-time opportunity

Cons

Low compensation, no tenure

Cut-Throat Business

This university makes all decisions based on money, mistreats and lies to their employees about job security and performance, and only wants extremely low paying adjunct all while trying to praise and pride themselves as being the national and global best.

An excellent place to work, a great work environment

See above. I enjoyed working for UOP, the people I worked with, and the work was very interesting and challenging. I traveled frequently through out the U.S. and worked with outstanding students.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Long hours and lots of research

Good Technology for Instructor Use

I was teaching part-time, I liked the experience and the staff professionalism. The material was clear and the environment was comfortable to work in. The training was very good for instructors. I learned a great deal about online university structure. I liked the "smart classrooms and the classroom size. The company provided benefits such as financial perks.

Pros

technology

Cons

students were "customers" no flexibility

I like the flexibility the University offers in terms of being able to teach Psychology online and be available for my kids. I only wish as instructors the company paid a competitive rate compared to other online schools and offered more solicitations to teach a class more than one time per year.

Pros

work/life balance

Cons

compensation and benefits

I was online faculty

I enjoyed facilitating for University of Phoenix as the classes were very informative to teach and the system was very well organized. The students were very attentive and loved the knowledge I could share with them.

Pros

Good salary and benefits

Cons

need more classes

reasonable place to work

faculty have resources to plan and conduct their classes. class size is small to medium. Pay is not commensurate with other employers for same requirements.

Pros

resources available

Cons

pay

Invigorating Classroom experience

Helping students discover their full potential to learn and develop; Facilitating 4 hour course sessions once per week; use of online learning system outside of the class time; this is a place to keep consistent communication with students, give feedback, private and full class messages/announcements; construct syllabus for the students; view and read student assignments/submissions; assign grades and feedback to the students; co-workers re helpful in class preparation and scholarship development; Hardest part: interaction with some students that may be in the classroom environment for the wrong reasons; Most enjoyable: seeing students walk out of the classroom enlightened.

Pros

Compensation

Cons

Low availability to teach

Remote work is great.

Job is great; however, pay needs substantial improvement. Students are passionate and appreciate dedicated instructors. Telecommuting is great. Great workshops.

Pros

remote work

Cons

compensation

Perfect Job!

Working for University of Phoenix is a perfect way to find work/life balance. I facilitate courses online, and because of this format, I have been able to be home to raise my children, while still being productive in the workforce and advancing my career.

Pros

work/life balance

Cons

not enough full-time opportunity for faculty

This is a good company to work for, but the compensation is low. I enjoy the mixture of working with students and peers. The management is supportive of the students, which is important to me. They also are supportive of the instructors who teach both full time and part time.

Pros

students, management, time flexibilty

Cons

Not anything

Supportive, professional work environment

A very supportive work environment where professionalism is required, and faculty's worth is rewarded. Students' needs are addressed and resources provided to assit in student success.

Pros

Lots of supportive resources

Cons

Salary

Great Place to Work

This is a great, dynamic work place. You get to work with wonderful people and teach interested students.

Pros

Dynamic work environment

Cons

Associate faculty do not get benefits

Scholarly organization

University of Phoenix is an excellent employer. They are smart and fair. High involvement of faculty and excellent continuing education that is available continuously at no additional cost. I am proud to work for them.

Pros

continuing education; fair compensation; progressive teaching methods

Great teaching opportunity

Great workplace, excellent benefits and amazing co-workers.