University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
Just an Office Job
Admission's Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PADecember 20, 2017
I perform tasks that are typically needed in an admissions office. I would greet guests, answer questions and file and store classified information. I would do this during my breaks from class.
Fun and Engagin
Virtual Reality Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PANovember 23, 2017
Had the opportunity to interact with wonderful co-workers and clients. The role is a fairly simple job of assisting with the use of the HTC Vive, and supervising said use.
Being a Lab assistant
Biology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAOctober 10, 2017
Working as a lab assistant was great for earning me experience. I was able to learn how to make many precursors and useful lab preparations for various classes like microbiology, cell biology. A typical day at work consisted of making preparations for different classes such as agars for cell biology lab classes to run electrophoresis through.
Great experience with using social media to advertise local business
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAOctober 6, 2017
Using our database au.shed, using social media platforms, and local business's websites I gain information about events and functions going on a month ahead of time and they then go on our mobile application.
Wroked with students
Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJune 15, 2017
Helped students that were uninformed and it was not completely their fault as the school is notoriously known for not explaining things. One must find out on their own. I was one of the people they contacted.
Very Professional/ Opens doors for other opportunities on campus
Student Employee / Receptionist / Assistant (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAMay 28, 2017
Some days will feel longer than others, but overall, this student position pays well, is flexible with work hours so that you can have enough time to go to class and study, and the office staff truly cares about your academics and well-being.
Pros
Flexible Hours/ Tons of Networking
Cons
Can cut into time for clubs or activities/ Freezing Office 24/7
growth
Resident Assistant and Director (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAMay 4, 2017
Growth was my main thing while at the university. I still talk to the poeple whom, I have worked with there. I have made many connections through these people.
Work Study Employment Varies
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAApril 14, 2017
Its alright, but my job is not something they'd post online. Not sure how it is for other employees. 150 character limit says I gotta keep typing. Done.
Pros
Paid money.
Cons
Did not pay a lot of money.
Nice place to work
Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAMarch 10, 2017
A typical day at UPJ was quite eventful. I would prep food for breakfast lunch and dinner. I would also cook the food and work the line to serve it to the students. We served over 1500 students at each meal so at times it got difficult. UPJ also did catered events so I assisted with preparing the food, setting up the event, and also serving.
Pros
Free lunch, nice people to work with.
Cons
Management was not professional, short breaks
Fun place to tutor, although the pay isn't great
Tutor in Physics (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAFebruary 22, 2017
I was only a tutor at UPJ so I cannot speak as to working with upper level administration. However, I greatly enjoyed the personal atmosphere and small class sizes. The pay for tutors was awful though.
Nice place to work while in school
Rock Wall Attendant (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, PAMarch 20, 2016
It is a nice place to work if you are a student. The schedule is completely flexible to your school schedule and you're able to work on school work as long as nobody is there to be watched, guided or helped.
Pros
Able to work on school work
Cons
minimum wage
University Wellness Center/Exercise facility Manager
Front Desk Manager / Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJanuary 4, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of organizing equipment, helping customers (in person and over the phone), training employees, and opening/closing. I learned to work alongside my coworkers as well as work in an independent environment. My coworkers and I had to work together and communicate on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I met and got to communicate with. The Wellness Center was also a friendly and positive environment.
Why it is good
Guest Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJanuary 2, 2016
Clean and friendly workplace that provides great benefits and fair pay with a chance to improve position in the workplace. A resume booster that helps while going to school.
Pros
Flexible hours and great benefits
Cons
Johnstown
Waitress
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PANovember 21, 2015
Greeted customers and answered any inquiries related to services being provided or food that was served
Obtained and handed meals requests from customers to kitchen cooks, assured all orders were accurate and specific to customer’s preferences
Resolved customer complaints in an expedient and appropriate manner; provided extra amenities and food vouchers to ensure customer service satisfaction
Great work environment
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJune 28, 2015
I was able to work in the laboratory with the other students productively. Through this internship I learned a high amount of laboratory techniques since it was my first research experience.
A great, small university with a family-oriented feel
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  JohnstownApril 22, 2015
If you attend the university it really is a great place where there is a growing sense of community. It gives you an opportunity to get a University of Pittsburgh education while still maintaining that small school atmosphere where you are not just a number. Benefits and treatment were great by the housing staff, as well.
Good School
Independent Study (Former Employee) –  Johnstown PaJanuary 26, 2015
The classroom size is on the smaller size for engineering classes and has a somewhat challenging curriculum.
Great
Administrative Office Support (Current Employee) –  Johnstown, PAJanuary 22, 2015
Great co-workers and management
Excellent networking opportunities.
Experience in field of study.
opperating a Union Shop
Campus Executive Chef / Sodexo Campus Dining (Former Employee) –  Johnstown, PASeptember 27, 2014
over seeing this size of a union shop is only for the most patient of managers.
Good Job
Rockwall staff (Current Employee) –  Johnstown paJune 1, 2014
for working in a gym it is flexible hours and nice people. Very nice co workers, good management, descent pay for what you have to do.
Pros
nice people