University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Great
Data Analyst/Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 11, 2017
Good place to work if you have kids going to College. Also they should have free parking if possible.
More corporate environment than educational environment
Pros
reasearch
Cons
very slow pace
Overall Good
Compliance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 6, 2017
Everything at Pitt depends on the individual department culture. Mine was very flexible and family friendly, but no movement and really low salary (even by university standards).
Interesting work and there was great work life balance.
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 2, 2017
Excellent benefits including great health care, low tuition, and a free bus pass.

Pros:

Flexible schedule around classes, great opportunity to network with professors.

Cons:
Reimbursement is a very tedious and time consuming process. Should be better orgnaized
Overall good experience at Pitt
Site 3 Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 27, 2017
I have learned a great deal working at Pitt and have been very grateful for the opportunity to advance my career.

The most enjoyable part of the job has been working with a diverse team for the advancement of biomedical research and welfare of lab animals.
Pros
Free Lunches, lectures, classes
terrible managers
General Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 25, 2017
management sucks big time they really can care less about their employees which is very sad they'd rather praise the lady workers that have been there for years instead of praising the new workers that really actually do their job
Good for students looking for money while at school
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 24, 2017
tutoring at the Math Assistance Center at the University of Pittsburgh was a nice job to have while being a student at the university. There were only a few hours required per week and had a flexible scheduling. The pay was quite low so there was not much incentive to schedule many hours. You could just walk in and tutor, but usually the time would be better spent studying for classes. The other tutors were nice, but there wasn't much interaction with each other because you'd usually tutor 1-3 hours at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping students. The only downside to the job was that sometimes students would show up expecting you to do their homework for them.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay
Adjunct Faculty/Director (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 17, 2017
Positively challenging work place with collegial collaboration involving teaching, leadership, research,community collaboration and engagements; great place to be
Pros
Challenging academic setting;
Cons
Cold weather
One day never the same as the next.
UMPC, Data Entry, Lab Inspections (Former Employee) –  Oakland, PANovember 15, 2017
I really enjoyed my employment there. The management was great! Human Resources was very easy to work with. I loved what I did there , the only bad part was there was a couple negative employees that made the atmosphere hard to work in at times.
Interesting work environment that is fast paced and people are friendly
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 8, 2017
I worked in a research laboratory at Pitt under the supervision of a wonderful post-doc. The people I worked alongside of on a daily basis were friendly. The work environment was fast paced and very engaging, and I was encouraged to understand all aspects of the research I was doing as an undergraduate.
sfasdf
adf (Current Employee) –  adfNovember 1, 2017
Very good and relaxing place to work. Excellent support from workers and managers. Lot of opportunity to improve the skills. The day started with great joy and ended with great satisfaction. Great place to work. Anybody would work for this company.
Productive Workplace
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 1, 2017
Worked a lot with research on videos that the grad students used where i transcribed the videos for the people to be able to read about what the people were saying in the video
Fun place to work, challenging
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 1, 2017
The university it constantly changing to keep up with the rapidly growing culture of Pittsburgh. Therefore it is always fresh and engaging to work at the university at any level.
Great
Systems Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 30, 2017
Great, I was able to work and attend classes. There was never any pressure to miss class. I was given regular work that I could handle. The people were very nice.
student work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 29, 2017
Being as I worked as a student, I can't really comment too much on the overall employment atmosphere. I greatly enjoyed my time tutoring with the university, but that could be the job, not the company I'm reviewing.
A good place to teach
Visiting Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 26, 2017
Worked as a assistant instructor and visiting lecturer. Generally a congenial workplace. Was left alone to do my work with minimal interference. A solid university.
Senior Statistician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 25, 2017
Positive work environment
Appreciated the opportunity to continue my education while working full-time.
Enjoyed the perks of good health care and paid days off.
Large institution so opportunity for growth and change.
Vibrant university community.
Flexible work hours that accommodate a busy school schedule.
Sports Information Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAOctober 25, 2017
The work days vary because you choose the days and house you work. The work itself is simple and straightforward and because you work around sports there is the added bonus of entertainment.
Pros
Welcoming coworkers, flexible hours, kind boss.
Cons
Low minimum wage, not enough hours to allow a large income.
Productive place
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAOctober 23, 2017
Responsible for overseeing multiple research projects and manage research staff. Supervise and administer students in research lab for microbiology, microbial ecology, molecular biology, and genomic-proteomics-bioinformatics.
Productive place to work as PhD student
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 23, 2017
Good place to work at as a PhD student, but research load is dependent on advisor. The typical environment is pretty nice. Not a significant amount of diversity but the amount of diversity doesn't make one feel secluded. The people are nice on this campus and I would consider it a good place to work.
Fun and goal oriented work environment, great staff!
Intern - Career Development & Placement Assistance (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 19, 2017
Typical workday included seeing walk-in students looking for career assistance, as well as meetings with assigned students seeking specific career guidance.

Learned how to provide proper career advice and guidance as well as create and edit a proper resume and host career-related events.

Management was very responsive and caring. Cared about employee's self-care, workplace and environment, as well as students and the university.

Workplace culture was relaxed yet productive.

The hardest part of the job was creating new avenues to connect with students and facilitating student involvement.

The most enjoyable part of the job was connecting with students and seeing them succeed in their career choices.
Pros
Lots of events, friendly staff, great management, students are great.
Cons
Not much compensation but great benefits.