University of Pittsburgh
77Above average
4.2

University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

United States649 reviews
Best on-campus job, doesn't even feel like a job!
Being an ambassador is one of the best decisions I've made in college. It is a lot of fun and feels more like a club where I met some of my best friends.
Great benefits, horrible culture
I was excited to join a large experienced staff. What I found was incompetent leadership and a tolerance for inappropriate behavior throughout offices and departments. There is no effort from human resources to remedy issues as they arise. An absolutely horrible culture.
I enjoy my customer interactions
There many good things about working for the University of Pittsburgh of which are the professional environment and the interaction with the students, faculty and staff.
Fun to work, no job security for a post doc
Like most post docs, you have no guarantee for employment every year. Was dropped as soon as funding was lost. Was not my boss's fault, but it is the game. I get a doctorate, all I can get are postdoc positions. An endless loop.

My boss was mostly great to work for and the research was engaging.
Excellent trainings
Working at Pitt in the School of Medicine in the standardize patient program was a very interesting experience. I worked as an actor and portrayed case studies and gave students feedback in learning exercises. The staff were very supportive. The hours didn't suit me.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
CSSD is a horrible place to work
Management is back stabbing, political, and self-preserving. 403b benefit and tuition benefit keeps most people there. Low salary justified by working "37.5" hours a week.
Management seems to take advantage of this. Very toxic environment with no flexibility. Very little opportunity for growth. Since I left there have been some management changes, so maybe the toxicity of cssd has gotten better, but unless your desperately need a job, keep looking.
Wonderful resources and diverse job opportunities
I had wonderful experience studying and working here. The city has diverse living choices and job opportunities. The city was affordable and the nature is amazing
Not consistant
Management constantly states how valuable the housekeeping staff is, however they do not want to pay enough for this valuable service.

The best thing about this job was the education benefit my daughter received.
Solid place to work!
Great working environment, but employees do not have effective channels to have a voice in making our department operate better or more productively.
Management is not open to employee feedback, ideas and/or innovation, which diminishes employee motivation and sustains an institutional mindset of our collective duties.
Flexible schedule and learning environment
Being able to work from home with a flexible schedule allows be to achieve my work-life balance. Also, I feel challenged by every task, and I feel my skills improved upon completion of each project.
Productive and innovative workplace.
The most enjoyable part of working as an undergraduate teaching assistant is that it allows me to learn and teach at the same time and enhance my passion of molecular biology.
Wide range of different jobs, some great others not so much
I have held multiple jobs at the University of Pittsburgh (part-time instructor, visiting professor, postdoc, etc.). Some of the jobs have been great: flexible hours, creative freedom, and supportive superiors. Others have not been that good. So in sum, it really depends that kind of job you are doing and in which department you end up.
Productive and friendly working environment
Teaching students and doing research.
Very friendly working environment

professors are nice and helpful

Management is efficient and fast rotating

I love the work place
Pros
a lot of pros
Cons
No cons
Depends upon work hours
Workplace culture is ok. Except for non-scientific staff, work hours may vary. Management expects work on weekends/holidays

Salary Hike/ Promotions etc is seldom and suttle.
Good workplace with many opportunities
The University of Pittsburgh is a great place to work. It is very diverse and has a great community outreach track-record. The work is interesting (depending on your field) and the pay is competitive.
Productive and thought invoking workplace.
The University of Pittsburgh provides technologically advanced research facilities, allowing for scientific exploration at the forefront of human knowledge.
fun place to work
This was a good place to work. Most days were stressful but overall it really just depends on your boss. There are great benefits to working here. The culture is acceptable.
Supportive environment with the ability to grow professionally
have a flexible working hours, everyone is supportive and always help each other, learned a lot of new lab skills, and they love celebrating everyone by throwing a party
Productive and friendly work environment
The university employs well-rounded people. Every was friendly and extremely talented in all aspects. People are willing to go out of their way to make sure you as confident.
Fair
Work was fair and pay was okay. The work hours were flexible. There were enough sick days and vacation days. Treated the employees very well and there was a sense of community.
Productive place that's very academically stimulating
Big university with lots of potential and really smart and hardworking people. The environment is very academically stimulating and there's plenty of opportunities for anyone trying to find the right niche. That said, often times the school lacks unity because it is so large. It can be a bad thing if you're trying to get something done and have to talk to three different people to look for one answer. It's nice knowing that there are people that are willing to help out however
Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Pittsburgh. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
Women's ratings

3.8Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.