University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Workplace has changed, I'm sure, over the years.
Admin. Secretary (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 11, 2018
At the time I worked there, quite awhile ago, there were typical office work days with certain periods of high stress when admin. deadlines had to be met and student applications processed.
We all knew our jobs and were left on our own to complete them properly and on time.
Pros
Immediate medical referrals.
Cons
Lots of deadlines.
Biochemist, Lab director, teacher.
Emeritus Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 9, 2018
Directed a biochemistry research laboratory. Studied cardiovascular disease, diabetes, HIV infection and obesity. Utilized HPLC, GC-MS, RIA, ELISA and Spectrophotometric methods. Taught biochemistry to undergraduate and graduate students.
Student summer job
student summer worker (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA 15260September 4, 2018
I learned a lot working the summer at PITT. I loved it. The people were awesome and I wish I could have stayed full time in a permanent position here.
Good school for engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering Work Study (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 31, 2018
Good school for engineering. Fun but manageable city. Not too overwhelming. Professors are willing to help but course load/workload is moderately heavy.
Great place to work.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  PittsburghAugust 24, 2018
Excellent environment and staff. Supportive and competent staff in all departments with which I interacted including the Chancellor's office, Executive Vice Chancellor's office, Provost and many others.
Pros
Great benefits and work culture.
the pI didnt do anything
Neuro-Economic Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 14, 2018
i did all the work, the PI just watched me and offered no guidence. It wcould have been a better project if we were all involved working towards a better goal.
good place to work
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2018
Good place to work! Great benefits as a staff member. Have worked here previously and part of the reason I returned was because of the great benefits!
Biology lab department
Lab Instructor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 8, 2018
It was great working with the students in a smaller lab environment. The students were great and most of the staff was too. They were making a lot of changes when I left though.
relaxed
Student Attendant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 30, 2018
It is a work study position the job allowed me to catch up on studies if needed. The management was always kind and approachable. A very family type setting
Excellent Environment
Postdoctoral Scholare (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 24, 2018
The University of Pittsburgh provides an excellent environment for high-impact research with extensive opportunities for collaboration with several institutions within a ten-mile radius. There are excellent career support and advancement tools available with outstanding mentors.
Pros
collaborative, and supportive of career advancment
Loved working here
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJuly 24, 2018
My supervisor was very flexible and was very understanding of any schedule change that I needed. The work load was not too heavy and very doable. I truly enjoyed the people I worked with and the job.
Pros
Awesome work environment
Great Place
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 10, 2018
I learnt and advanced alot of my skills over my time at the university of Pittsburgh and will definitely recommend matriculation and or working for this institution.
I have earned my Ph.D. from the University of Pittsburgh
CHINESE-AMERICAN MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 7, 2018
I have enjoyed my learning as a doctoral student in the School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh. For example, I have learned a rigorous approach to scholarly research and writing my dissertation with disciplines and in a refined style and the professors think highly of my doctoral dissertation.
Stable, comfortable workplace with good people
Student Mail Services Full Time Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 6, 2018
Working at Pitt was a stable experience that, while not offering the highest salary at the time, did provide some excellent benefits, including healthcare and discounts on Post baccalaureate course credits which were an excellent value.
Pros
Good benefits, good coworkers
Cons
Low salary
Great Quality of Life
Global Operations Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 5, 2018
Pitt doesn't pay the most but the offer tons of benefits. Free bus pass, excellent healthcare, sport facilities, staff club, tuition remission, fitness classes for staff. If you want to get a degree it is a great place to work. Culture is very geared towards quality of work life for staff.
On the surface it seemed promising
Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2018
After you spend some time in this work environment-you quickly learn the environment is managed in a highly unprofessional manner.

Nepotism ran rampant with relatives hired for jobs over qualified external candidates. The same held true for the friends of management who got jobs over qualified external candidates.

The sheer lack of business professionalism throughout the organization was appalling. So much so that the week I quit my job. A lot of full-time employees did the same thing. A mass exodus of full-time employees took place when I worked at this place.
so so
Audio Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
Pitt can be a fine place to work, but the AV staff is treated with very liitle respec by the Instructional Technology management staff. It is a pretty laid back place, but not a lot of opportunity to advance your career.
Accomodating & Great
Statistics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 24, 2018
Great experience worked there through the entirety of my college career and wouldn't trade it for the world, gave me practical experience for the real world
Behind the times and underpay employees
Graduate Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2018
At the University of Pittsburgh, their business processes and systems seem incredibly slow and resistant to change. They also give very small step increases in pay per year that make living anywhere close to campus very difficult. In many administrative positions at Pitt, you should not expect to earn above $40,000 until you have worked for almost 10 years.
Good people who care
Undergraduate Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2018
everyone there loved the job they were doing and worked hard, learned a lot of various techniques while still feeling qualified for the job, comfortable environment where I could easily ask questions and communicate