University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
I have earned my Ph.D. from the University of Pittsburgh
CHINESE-AMERICAN MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 7, 2018
I have enjoyed my learning as a doctoral student in the School of Education at the University of Pittsburgh. For example, I have learned a rigorous approach to scholarly research and writing my dissertation with disciplines and in a refined style and the professors think highly of my doctoral dissertation.
Stable, comfortable workplace with good people
Student Mail Services Full Time Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 6, 2018
Working at Pitt was a stable experience that, while not offering the highest salary at the time, did provide some excellent benefits, including healthcare and discounts on Post baccalaureate course credits which were an excellent value.
Pros
Good benefits, good coworkers
Cons
Low salary
Great Quality of Life
Global Operations Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 5, 2018
Pitt doesn't pay the most but the offer tons of benefits. Free bus pass, excellent healthcare, sport facilities, staff club, tuition remission, fitness classes for staff. If you want to get a degree it is a great place to work. Culture is very geared towards quality of work life for staff.
On the surface it seemed promising
Systems Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 30, 2018
After you spend some time in this work environment-you quickly learn the environment is managed in a highly unprofessional manner.

Nepotism ran rampant with relatives hired for jobs over qualified external candidates. The same held true for the friends of management who got jobs over qualified external candidates.

The sheer lack of business professionalism throughout the organization was appalling. So much so that the week I quit my job. A lot of full-time employees did the same thing. A mass exodus of full-time employees took place when I worked at this place.
so so
Audio Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 26, 2018
Pitt can be a fine place to work, but the AV staff is treated with very liitle respec by the Instructional Technology management staff. It is a pretty laid back place, but not a lot of opportunity to advance your career.
Accomodating & Great
Statistics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 24, 2018
Great experience worked there through the entirety of my college career and wouldn't trade it for the world, gave me practical experience for the real world
Behind the times and underpay employees
Graduate Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2018
At the University of Pittsburgh, their business processes and systems seem incredibly slow and resistant to change. They also give very small step increases in pay per year that make living anywhere close to campus very difficult. In many administrative positions at Pitt, you should not expect to earn above $40,000 until you have worked for almost 10 years.
Good people who care
Undergraduate Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2018
everyone there loved the job they were doing and worked hard, learned a lot of various techniques while still feeling qualified for the job, comfortable environment where I could easily ask questions and communicate
Wonderful teaching assistant experience
UNDERGRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 18, 2018
I was a teaching assistant in the analytical chemistry laboratory summer session. It allowed me to not only hone in my analytical chemistry skills but allowed me to dive deeper in the knowledge and learn how to teach others.
Lovely People. Very Flexible. Lots of Freedom. Horrible Pay.
Student Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 11, 2018
I really have enjoyed my time here with the University. However, a 2.5% increase annually isn't enough. The benefits are great, but my pay was extremely minimal. I couldn't live on my own even if I wanted to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. The University offered a variety of services and free events. All you have to do is take advantage. The hardest part of the job is the feeling of being stuck in a position. My favorite part of the job was the flexibility of management. If we had the time we were allowed to take it. Hour-long lunches are amazing.
Pros
Great people. Amazing benefits.
Cons
Horrible Pay

Want to know more about University of Pittsburgh?

Ask a question
It was a good experience
Teaching Assistant for Analytical Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAJune 10, 2018
I was a teaching assistant for a chemistry lab. It was good experience for the work place, and I would recommend it to anyone who can get in. It also looks good on a resume.
Not much to say
Financial Accounts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2018
It's a job! Good co workers and nice environment. A little bit lacking in training but always event and things to do. Never a dull moment. I would recommend Pitt as a good place to work
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
compensation
Overall good place yet departments are not run comsistenly regarding employees
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 5, 2018
Departmental management is inconsistent. Not a lot or work life balance, and zero tolerance for error. Rule by bullying instead for good management techniques. The tuition benefit is good if you can use it, i.e. if your department will allow time to take classes during the day since some programs, including the PhDs, are for day students only. Strange rules apply such as having to have an advanced degree to perform your job, yet, if you did not sit for the GMAT for your existing MBA, yet achieved it, they require you to sit for it (which only proves you can handle the work) in order to get admission into other programs.
Pros
Tuition benefits if management allows and if they apply.
Cons
work life balance, and rule by bullying.
Opportunity to work at a first class institution
ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 31, 2018
I was the associate head coach at the Univ of Pittsburgh. The opportunity to impact the kids who I coiached was very enjoyable.

The culture was supportive for the coaches and players.

The hours were long but taught oneself about grit and grind.

There were typical 60 hour workweeks during the season.
Pros
Part of a Great University and athletic department
Cons
Short staffed with the coaching staff
Steady employer
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2018
The university is a good place to work. It offers several great benefits, however the pay is not competitive enough for the rising cost of living in the growing City of Pittsburgh.
Like being in junior high all over again
Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2018
Bullying by supervisors and managers, favoritism, back-stabbing coworkers, high turnover rate, expensive healthcare, you have to pay for a monthly parking permit, lack of parking, only boot-licking morons get promoted, HR doesn’t do anything when you file complaints.
Pros
Tuition discount
Cons
Read my review
Research aide (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 24, 2018
As a fresher in my field of study, I learned a lot from the University of Pittsburgh while being a Physical Therapy aide. The work environment is very friendly and with lots of learning and guidance.
A great place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2018
Pitt is one of the best employers in the city. They are large enough and have enough diversity in terms of both employment opportunities and employees that I'd recommend it to anyone seeking employment in the city. They are worth a look. You can't beat their benefits.
Good benefits, bad pay
Graduate Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2018
Great benefits working at Pitt--very cost effective dental, medical, and vision, and 401K matches your contribution up to 8%. But the pay is low and so are the raises.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
bad pay
Fun Job for Students
Student Grader (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 20, 2018
Worked as a student grader. It was great as a job while taking classes since I could work on my own schedule as long as the homeworks were graded on time.