University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

I was a research assistant
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant- Intro to Psych (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2019
I was a research assistant for my masters in social work program. I worked under two PhDs who were really kind and I enjoyed helping them out while I was getting my social work degree.
Great!
Undergraduate Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2019
University of Pittsburgh gave me the opportunity to learn more about what I wanted to do as a more permanent career goal, and to learn about methods to reach that goal.
Good place , compensation is low
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2019
good and supportive staff, encouraging , perks .
Flexible times, good learning opportunities .
Might have to show up for work even when weather is bad at times.
Good work for temporary educators
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2019
The university provides a fair amount of stability and reasonable support for required tasks. The administration is pleasant to deal with, as have been my colleagues.
University
Student (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2019
I was a student at this university for 5 years. The majority of the professors are good people and strongly make you think and apply your knowledge to the projects.
Property Manager
Manager of Leasing and Support Services (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 8, 2019
I really enjoyed the University of Pittsburgh work culture. The staff I worked with was incredible. Great tuition reimbursement for kids and UPMC health insurance.
Great benefits
Research Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 5, 2019
The retirement benefits are unmatchable. It's a huge perk of the job. Also, I believe the health benefits are better than those of UPMC, which is odd is since Pitt offers UPMC health plans.
150% Physical work that keeps me in shape, like my co-workers, love the monkeys
Animal Care Technician II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 26, 2019
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK
- the first 4 hour- strenuous physical labor.
The 5th hour - "What can I get done before lunch? Check in orders, put away supplies, bring up cages, fold laundry, fruit my monks.
Lunch - 1 hour
Hour 6-7 - What else can I accomplish before 3:00? Inventory, create orders, make enrichment, set up cages for tomorrow.
Hour 7- Feed my monks, close up rooms.
WHAT DID I LEARN?
Monkey psychology and care, time management, safety, IACUC regulations, inventory, ordering, receiving, problem solving, cage maintenance
Management- Please don't talk to me while I'm on my unpaid lunch break.
Workplace culture- good
The hardest part of this job - The turnover rate that left us short-handed.
The most enjoyable part of the job - co-workers and monkeys and science.
Pros
I get to work with monkeys!
Cons
Exhaustion
This was an amazing experience for me.
Lab Asst (Former Employee) –  Bradford, PAFebruary 26, 2019
As a student, working a job whilst balancing your academic schedule can be daunting. My boss was always very understanding and helped me with a good scheduling plan.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Competitive graduate program with good resources
Engineering Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 25, 2019
Work days can be long and demanding however, the research work is challenging and exciting. Your responsibilities can sometimes be vaguely outlined but useful feedback was always available.
Low stress work environment with flexible hours
Gift Center Coordinator/Buyer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 30, 2019
The University of Pittsburgh has a great training program for new hire lasting several months. Work environment is low-key, stress free with no hassles
Pros
UPMC Health Care, many social services and sick and vacation days
Cons
wacky management structure with lots of people's input
University of Pittsburgh Army ROTC
Assistant Professor-ROTC (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 29, 2019
The instructors and staff at the Pitt Army ROTC department work hard to educate and train cadets from different universities and prepare them to be Army officers.
Pros
Enriching work in training cadets
Cons
Not enough time
Typical University
Financial Research Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 22, 2019
Great benefits, especially if you have children. Salary is unrealistically low considering the revenue (yes, revenue) generated by the University. Quality talent typically leaves quickly for better salary but if you could survive 20 years on minimal salary then maybe your kids could attend for free. Which is a benefit available to full-time employees after six months. Part of the reason we're all paid well below similar jobs in the private sector.
Pros
Relaxed. Benefits package.
Cons
Take home salary. Parking.
Workplace culture
IMMIGRATION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 19, 2018
We were like a family even if we had a big turnover. We worked collaboratively, helped each other. I learned the most in this office. Latest director was very helpful and very professional person. The university was very supportive and I still feel great attachment to Pitt and to the city.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
poor salary...., tough weather
Fantastic Opportunity
Adjunct Professor of Finance (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PADecember 19, 2018
I happened into this position as an adjunct professor of finance (undergraduate) by good fortune. Now I cannot imagine a life without this aspect of my life/career. As part-time, your employment is precarious but while employed you are given complete autonomy. Incredibly rewarding and fulfilling.

I teach one class three days/week
Pros
Interacting with students, autonomy, benefits
Cons
Job Security
Love the university
Postdoctoral associate (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 17, 2018
University is very good, the lab is nice. For an academic career, being a postdoc there is not perfect, because you are more likely to get hired from Harvard/Stanford/UC. But for work itself and life, the place is perfect.
interesting
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  R.I.D.C. Park, Blawnox, PADecember 11, 2018
interesting job...secretary to six research professors. worked as back-up receptionist typed all reports and ordered supplies....made travel arrangements for professors
Pros
fast paced
Cons
location of job
Graduate Student Life + Teaching = An Experience.
Spanish Professor (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 5, 2018
I worked as a graduate student and Spanish professor while I was there. Classes started late so it was nice to be able to ease into my day. Management was very lax and the workplace culture wasn't cutthroat at all.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Lack of pay
Great School
Teaching Assistant (Quantitative Methods) (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 15, 2018
This is a college. I feel like I got a good education and it will prepare me for a future in the business community. It's nice to be in a city where there is a lot going on.
Great benefits and fun, friendly people.
Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2018
It is a great place to work. The benefits are fantastic and so are the people. Working on a college campus is always exciting. There are always opportunities to learn something new and expand your skills.
Pros
Awesome benefits. great people.
Cons
low salary, no bonuses