University of Pittsburgh Employee Reviews

Fantastic Opportunity
Adjunct Professor of Finance (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PADecember 19, 2018
I happened into this position as an adjunct professor of finance (undergraduate) by good fortune. Now I cannot imagine a life without this aspect of my life/career. As part-time, your employment is precarious but while employed you are given complete autonomy. Incredibly rewarding and fulfilling.

I teach one class three days/week
Pros
Interacting with students, autonomy, benefits
Cons
Job Security
Overall good place yet departments are not run comsistenly regarding employees
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 5, 2018
Departmental management is inconsistent. Not a lot or work life balance, and zero tolerance for error. Rule by bullying instead for good management techniques. The tuition benefit is good if you can use it, i.e. if your department will allow time to take classes during the day since some programs, including the PhDs, are for day students only. Strange rules apply such as having to have an advanced degree to perform your job, yet, if you did not sit for the GMAT for your existing MBA, yet achieved it, they require you to sit for it (which only proves you can handle the work) in order to get admission into other programs.
Pros
Tuition benefits if management allows and if they apply.
Cons
work life balance, and rule by bullying.
Great Educational Benefits
Adminstrator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 20, 2018
I highly recommend the University of Pittsburgh to those who are seeking to obtain a first class education for themselves and their immediate family members.

For those who are seeking employment in a diverse community, the University of Pittsburgh is also promoting and encouraging staff and faculty training in the area of diversity and inclusion, with the end-goal of creating a more diverse culture.
Pros
Educational Benefits
Cons
Lower salaries
Lovely People. Very Flexible. Lots of Freedom. Horrible Pay.
Student Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 11, 2018
I really have enjoyed my time here with the University. However, a 2.5% increase annually isn't enough. The benefits are great, but my pay was extremely minimal. I couldn't live on my own even if I wanted to. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. The University offered a variety of services and free events. All you have to do is take advantage. The hardest part of the job is the feeling of being stuck in a position. My favorite part of the job was the flexibility of management. If we had the time we were allowed to take it. Hour-long lunches are amazing.
Pros
Great people. Amazing benefits.
Cons
Horrible Pay
Great place to work.
Senior Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 31, 2018
Great place to work. Benefits package is awesome. Retirement program is the best in the City of Pittsburgh. Work life balance is a priority. We have a 37.5 hour work week.
Great benefits and fun, friendly people.
Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2018
It is a great place to work. The benefits are fantastic and so are the people. Working on a college campus is always exciting. There are always opportunities to learn something new and expand your skills.
Pros
Awesome benefits. great people.
Cons
low salary, no bonuses
Great place to work.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  PittsburghAugust 24, 2018
Excellent environment and staff. Supportive and competent staff in all departments with which I interacted including the Chancellor's office, Executive Vice Chancellor's office, Provost and many others.
Pros
Great benefits and work culture.
Excellent benefits, decent salary, but primarily a negative atmosphere.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 15, 2018
Pitt was excellent for all of the benefits. Unfortunately, it's obvious that politics play a part in your value as an employee. There are many departments, so I can't speak to all of them. I'm not sure I should identify my particular department. The middle managers are much less than friendly and look for reasons to discipline you. In my time there, I was only disciplined once for a ridiculous reason, and it was elevated to a higher level than necessary. However, there were co-workers who were disciplined often for the pettiest reasons. Beware of the department for which you work. One should ask many questions of co-workers. If you get into the right department, Pitt has great benefits and decent pay.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Cons
Unfriendly, difficult management
Good work environment
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 19, 2018
I enjoy my day to day duties and love the people that I work with. I get to regularly collaborate with other employees across the University and I enjoy the connections that that creates.
Pros
Environment, Benefits
Cons
Base Pay
Great Quality of Life
Global Operations Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 5, 2018
Pitt doesn't pay the most but the offer tons of benefits. Free bus pass, excellent healthcare, sport facilities, staff club, tuition remission, fitness classes for staff. If you want to get a degree it is a great place to work. Culture is very geared towards quality of work life for staff.
Great benefits, but don't hold breath on raises/advancement
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 10, 2018
HR is very slow to move in all respects. Raises are next to impossible to approve, and according to an HR meeting earlier in the year, are not issued based on work performance. Grant expenditure is restricted by HR/compensation, which acts as an unnecessary invisible hand, making no effort to make the process streamlined or painless.
Pros
Benefits package (health insurance, bus, etc.)
Cons
Pay, HR creating problems where there don't need to be
Stable, comfortable workplace with good people
Student Mail Services Full Time Mail Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJuly 6, 2018
Working at Pitt was a stable experience that, while not offering the highest salary at the time, did provide some excellent benefits, including healthcare and discounts on Post baccalaureate course credits which were an excellent value.
Pros
Good benefits, good coworkers
Cons
Low salary
good place to work
Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAAugust 13, 2018
Good place to work! Great benefits as a staff member. Have worked here previously and part of the reason I returned was because of the great benefits!
A great place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 23, 2018
Pitt is one of the best employers in the city. They are large enough and have enough diversity in terms of both employment opportunities and employees that I'd recommend it to anyone seeking employment in the city. They are worth a look. You can't beat their benefits.
Pitt
Administrative Assistant, Senior (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 5, 2018
The culture at Pitt is diverse and provides opportunities to learn and advance. The benefits are good and allowed you to attend school for free. In addition, you spouse and children can attend.
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
Poor management
Good benefits, bad pay
Graduate Program Administrator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 22, 2018
Great benefits working at Pitt--very cost effective dental, medical, and vision, and 401K matches your contribution up to 8%. But the pay is low and so are the raises.
Pros
good insurance
Cons
bad pay
Not much to say
Financial Accounts Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJune 6, 2018
It's a job! Good co workers and nice environment. A little bit lacking in training but always event and things to do. Never a dull moment. I would recommend Pitt as a good place to work
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
compensation
Good Job Bad Management
CREW LEADER / SUPPLY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 13, 2018
Good easy job but it is very high school like. The management is more concerned with being in charge and being annoying the actually making work life tolerable.
Pros
Good pay, Benefits, School Options
Cons
Bad management Decisions, Culture
Steady employer
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 25, 2018
The university is a good place to work. It offers several great benefits, however the pay is not competitive enough for the rising cost of living in the growing City of Pittsburgh.
Equal opportunity & Fair Pay
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMay 1, 2018
Equal opportunity, fair pay, & great benefits. A typical day at work was fast paced & was team oriented. I learned how to work as a team players. Great work culture.
Pros
Great benefits & great coworkers.