University of Rochester Employee Reviews

A good place to work very team and family oriented
PURCHASING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 14, 2018
My day is multi tasking helping customers and purchasing managers with orders and reports, solving problems, buying and negotiating products. I love to help my customers.
Good starting company
Desktop Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 14, 2018
The University is a great place for someone to get a foot in the door and have on-hand training. The benefits provide employees a method to further their education.
However, remember that this is an academic setting, and funding is generally coming from grants that may not be funded indefinitely. Therefore, use the University to get a handle, then move on into industry where your salary will be higher.
overall good place
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 14, 2018
The U of R is a well organized company and has an excellent training program and supports the education of it's staff members. My last position there, I worked with a department that was a high paced work environment and I enjoyed it, but my direct manager was not a good manager.
Pros
Compensation, training, systems, environment
Cons
advancement is difficult
i enjoyed working there
Patient care unit secretary (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 11, 2018
very busy, I learned how to help the Doctors, staff, patients and their
families, I help manage the unit on a daily bases,
it was a fair place to work.
I enjoyed working with the staff
Great coworkers
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 10, 2018
was an office assistant for the Hospital Medicine Division for a total of three years, helping out as needed. Initially did billing sheets for one year, then tasks mostly focused on running errands around the offices
Good Place to live and do research
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NY\April 10, 2018
Overall, going to the University of Rochester was a smart choice. Though the city has seen better days, the cost of living is low enough to enjoy life on a budget with plenty of things to do. The education quality of the University is very good and most faculty at the University are accommodating and understanding.
A fine educational institution has lost it's way
Human Subjects Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 9, 2018
The University of Rochester has become more interested in making money than treating the sick or educating our youth. They are more interested in buying up small area hospitals and sending all testing to understaffed and underpaid labs than helping people.
Pros
Get to see leadership on tv trying to defend their policies
Cons
No job security
Great opportunities
Dental Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 2, 2018
UofR is a great place to work. They offer amazing benefits and most departments are flexible with your schedule. Pay is fair depends what department. Only con is that employees pay for parking but other than that UofR is great 10 out of 10 would recommend.
This is required
Access Center Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 28, 2018
University of Rochester is a good place to work. Anyone would be lucky to get a job there. They don't pay as well as other companies since they are not-for-profit.
It is a university
Robotics and Artificial Intelligence Researcher (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 22, 2018
I am not sure why I am being asked about work at U of R when I am simply a student there. I worked as a TA, but that is a separate position. I don't get paid very much but it's better than some campus jobs.
Love working here
Manhattan Square Family Medicine - LPN Lead (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2018
URMC is a great company to work for. I would recommend it to anyone looking to get their foot into the door for health care. Many opportunities available
Great Experience
RN in Medicine in Psychiatric Service (MIPS) (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2018
The University of Rochester is a great opportunity for new nurses to hone their clinical skills and work with a variety of patients. There are lots of different areas for nurses to work.
Hands on
Ambulatory Tech (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 19, 2018
Working for the U of R is not only reward through working hours but relationships you build with patients, co workers, and MD's through I CARE... I believe they should have something to help there tech become RN's or Career advisement.
Filled with talented and aspiring people
Research Assistant to Julie Fudge, M.D (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 16, 2018
The University of Rochester is unquestionably filled with bright minds and is second to none in it's neurosciences/BCS department. Anyone looking to join an elite and productive department should be keen on joining UofR. Despite being filled with driven and talented people, the atmosphere is friendly, and the focus is more on building up students rather than competition. However, be prepared to work hard regardless.
Encouraging workplace with little room for financial growth
Secretary III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 14, 2018
As with most higher-ed jobs, the pay is lacking. I was told upon hire that the minimum they could offer me was $10.40, but I shouldn't worry, because they believe in paying their employees a livable wage. That was very true when I lived at home with my parents, but since moving out on my own, I do not make enough to pay minimal bills.

The environment is wonderful here, and I wouldn't consider leaving (even for a second) if it weren't a matter of needing a larger income. People are encouraging, helpful, welcoming and warm. The campus is stunning. Parking is rough, but the University provides shuttles. The benefits are fantastic, very affordable, tuition and homeowners incentive are remarkable.
Fun place to work. Great benefits. Excellent choices in furthering an education.
Senior Transcriptionist in 2 pediatric departments (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 6, 2018
I would transcribe all summaries for pediatric pulmonology and pediatric endocrinology. I learned a lot about many illnesses. I had a great manager and very understanding, I could ask any question and get answers right away. I enjoyed everyone I worked with. Many times did I learn about different cultures. The hardest part of my job was transcribing death summaries for the children. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning new things all the time.
Pros
Opportunity for advancement and education
Cons
Lacked family leave act, also had a 4 year no rehire policy.
Undergraduate Research Assistant, Mark Noble (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 5, 2018
I conducted interesting research in a inclusive and fast-paced lab. I learned many high yield laboratory techniques that I will apply in future research.
Great for PhD students
PhD Candidate (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 1, 2018
Very student-focused, lots of support while you are making your way through the PhD program. I'm not sure why this review HAS to be one-hundred and fifty characters.
it's fine
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 1, 2018
I worked there over the summer when I was an undergrad to gain some research experience and get used to working in a lab. The environment was good and the people were nice.
Discouraging and un-motivating place to work.
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 1, 2018
The management struggles tremendously and they do not know how to handle individuals or manage and motivate and develop people. There isn't much concern at all for how you are doing or if you need help. Any questions about your work are considered negative and that you just don't know what you are doing. They feel that everyone should be able to "figure it out on their own". Management is very detached and are not present or concerned with individuals. The culture is very archaic and they do not show an interest in flexible hours. Though I have sought to improve the culture through my training and expertise in previous jobs I have always been denied the opportunity to work on the proposals I have created.
Pros
Decent vacation time available
Cons
Management and company culture