University of Rochester Employee Reviews

The University of Rochester overall is a great Institution. They promote education and it's a multifaceted Learning Center.
Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 3, 2019
University of Rochester is a great institution to work. It is a great institution to Advance professionally however the size of the organization can also be problematic in that it creates high volume turnovers and difficulty in retaining new hires.
Pros
Innovative
Cons
Extremely high volumes in staff turnovers
Outstanding work enviornment
Medical Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJanuary 2, 2019
I really value being apart of the University of Rochester team. There were many opportunities to develop and advance yourself in the field. The staff works very well together and the company adheres to the mission of the hospital. The University supports diversity and inclusion which is very important for success in the work environment.
Pros
Supports career development
Cons
congested parking
Work as RA at U of R
Researcher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 26, 2018
Great experience! Nice pay. Fitness Center on-site with various classes. Supportive team leader and talented teammates. The University of Rochester is a small but resourceful employer. The school treat its students (undergrads, grads, and PhD) really good. There are many good research opportunities for the students. The Rochester city is cold (Nov-March snow), but it is really a good place to study since it is very quiet and make you focus on the study.
Pros
Nice Pay
Cons
Cold weather
Productive work environment
Clinical Lab Tech II (Former Employee) –  Main Specimen LabDecember 20, 2018
Management is very corrupt and too many people like to play favorites and don't advance individuals that really deserve it. It's an ok area to work in, but with a high turn around of employees that should tell you things don't run the way they should.
Pros
Pot Lucks, company paid lunches and chances to leaves a little early
Cons
Management really needs to be cleaned out and could use a fresh start
Great place for PhD student
Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 15, 2018
Low cost of living, collaborative environment, lots of research support, huge biomedical resources. People tend to work together instead against each other, it's not a very competitive environment. Support from the department itself is minimal however, therefore it's crucial to find a good advisor as a PhD student, as the case in any educational institute.
Currently a very stagnant organization.
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 8, 2018
Typical day involves completion of routine work. Very limited outlook on continuous improvement. 7+ years behind most IT organizations in terms of technology adoption. 12+ years behind in terms of technology philosophy.

Organization suffers from significant internal political issues that cripple the ability to coordinate effective change.
Pros
Low expectations for work completion, many opportunities
Cons
Most employees complete low levels of work, inefficient organizational structure
Safe company
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 6, 2018
The UofR is a good place to work. They employ more people than any other in our area. The benefits are good including a very nice health package.

However the pay is very low. The company makes it very difficult to make ends meet with the very low pay they offer. Many employees work two jobs and a lot of candidates wont accept positions based of the low wage offered. The company makes Billions however will not spend enough to keep good employees. However the company is good to work for.
Pros
Health Care and nice people to work with
Cons
Low Pay
I enjoyed my years in this department
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 30, 2018
I guess that it depends on where you work, but I worked in a pretty laid back department. I was paid well and I had great free benefits. Some people's jobs were very stressful because of whom they worked under, or the particular department that they worked for. I consider myself lucky to be in the small laid back department that I was in for so long.
Pros
can be a fun place to work
Cons
Pay only gets really good after years are put in
Ivy league like private school with outdated morals
Visiting assistant professor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 8, 2018
A great workplace if and only if you are tenure track. If you are a visiting or non-tenure track academic, there is no job security and one does not have a say in anything. Great support staff and wonderful students. Still a white male dominant academic culture
Pros
great conditions to work
Cons
no job security if non-tenure track
Great health care professionals to work with
Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Pluta Cancer CenterSeptember 5, 2018
Friendly, productive, open-minded, highly qualified and skilled people to work with. We all work well for what is best for the patients. We make sure that the environment is clean, all tools are easily accessible for the physicians and I assist the nurses wherever needed.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Not able to move up through the system at a speedily pace
University of Rochester
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 13, 2018
I would not recommend working at the Access Center at U of R. Everyone there was overworked and expected to pretend they were present in the actual offices they answered calls for when they were not. Access Center is located at a remote location away from the actual University or any offices. Management was not helpful or flexible.
Hit the floor-Running!
Registered Nurse III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 7, 2018
A typical day in the Emergency Department would include a patient care assignment of 6 patients to 1 nurse. The goal is to have 4:1 which is an occasional occurrence. If 6:1 you may have a patient care technician for assistance. I learned to adapt quickly to change, how to care for a diverse population, how to provide care to the least ill to most critical including traumas. Management has open door policy and for the most part available to lend a hand throughout each shift. The culture is such to help each other and to support growth for each individual. The hardest part of the job has got to be the high acuity with high census throughout each day. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing that I made a difference in someones life no matter how small or big that difference is.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
patient ratios for acuity
University of Rochester Medical Center
RESEARCH COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 20, 2018
I loved working at the Medical Center. I felt honored to be part of an intelligent, supportive, friendly environment. I was sad when the grant that supported me was not renewed, but a family medical issue required me to return to CT. I actually worked on line for my team in a related research grant for 2 more years. I miss everyone....
Pros
Supportive, interesting work, great people
Cons
Productive and fun workplace that is very dependable to expand your knowledge
Optical Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 27, 2018
A typical work day is like a day at school. I’ve learned a lot more than I knew about optics. It opened my field of view for college, it was an amazing experience working with professors alongside my teacher. Both professors & my teacher treated us with respect. It was always a nice environment and a good place to work
Very good place to work an learn
Environmental Services Team leader (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 23, 2018
Strong hospital is a great place to work a lot of departments an career opportunity available training on site for a lot of positions an schooling required for others
Pros
Career advancement opportunities
Cons
Be around people in pain
Stressful unrewarding workplace
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 2, 2018
My manager was a micromanager and a perfectionist. I was alone in supporting her. She created a stressful and abusive. I never knew what big project was going to dumped on me that needed to be done by the end of the week.

There is no advancement for administrative professionals, no career guidance. Administrative Assistant is a dead-end job.

Med Center is extremely hierarchical. Expect to be invisible. Don't expect to be treated with respect or like you are a human being.
Great place to learn
Research Technical Associate (Former Employee) –  medical centerAugust 1, 2018
The greatest benefit of working in Research is the learning environment. My typical day involved setting up and executing experiments, mentoring graduate students and developing methods for others in the lab to use for their experiments.
The constant struggle for funding is the only downside and is why I am no longer in the job I loved
Pros
working with interesting, knowledgeable others
Cons
you cant's push "save" on an experiment like you can on your computer at the end of the day
Staff in cardiac team were mean but the surgeons were great. that's why I stayed for 14years
CVOR CSR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 14, 2018
Stayed to finish cases
learned to do heart and liver transplants
management was very unsupporting
vindictive
working with incompetent staff
working with the cardiac doctors
Pros
contract pay was much higher than regular staff
Cons
no benifits
Overall this position was very satisfactory
Biology Business Office Representative (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 16, 2018
I enjoyed doing the data input of the biology business office, it taught me a lot and it was a temporary position. the coworkers were very informative and made my job easier.
Pros
temporary
Cons
gained knowledge
Good work as a student
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 14, 2018
As a student at the school, employers were very flexible with time requirements and all training for employment is provided. Pay is fine, but some jobs require Federal Work study to acquire.
Pros
A lot of downtime
Cons
cannot listen to music while working

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Rochester. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight