University of Rochester Employee Reviews

Best Hem/Onc Health Care
Outpatient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Interlakes Oncology/HematologySeptember 20, 2018
Patients are wonderful. Fast paced and a variety of duties, so you are never bored. Excellent delivery of healthcare everyday. University provided me with a number of educational opportunities right along with changes university wide, so most everyone is well trained. Our practice provides excellent health care, making the patients needs a priority and trying to make their visits with us less stressful. A typical day at work would be answering multiphone lines, taking messages either electronic or finding a provider,check in, check out, making patient referrals for other specialties, scheduling multiple appointments for patients for in the office as well as procedures, as well as verifying insurances, scanning, and prior authorizations for imaging ordered by our physicians. The best part of the work day was making a patient smile, either by giving them a compliment or sharing a special moment with them.
ambassador
Guest Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 18, 2018
The job is a customer service job. You are asked to go above and beyond and are never paid fairly. They keep adding things to your original job and never get paid for it
Staff in cardiac team were mean but the surgeons were great. that's why I stayed for 14years
CVOR CSR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 14, 2018
Stayed to finish cases
learned to do heart and liver transplants
management was very unsupporting
vindictive
working with incompetent staff
working with the cardiac doctors
Pros
contract pay was much higher than regular staff
Cons
no benifits
University of Rochester
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 13, 2018
I would not recommend working at the Access Center at U of R. Everyone there was overworked and expected to pretend they were present in the actual offices they answered calls for when they were not. Access Center is located at a remote location away from the actual University or any offices. Management was not helpful or flexible.
Parking
Secretary 4 (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 13, 2018
I hate that you have to pay for parking. Although the shuttles are nice, everything is so far, you have to come to work entirely to early to get there on time.
Great Company
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 10, 2018
Great teaching hospital to work for! Much room for Advancement. Amazing benefits. They often have fun competitive team building events going on through out the year. Cafeteria has good food. Only down side is the parking
Ivy league like private school with outdated morals
Visiting assistant professor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 8, 2018
A great workplace if and only if you are tenure track. If you are a visiting or non-tenure track academic, there is no job security and one does not have a say in anything. Great support staff and wonderful students. Still a white male dominant academic culture
Pros
great conditions to work
Cons
no job security if non-tenure track
Currently a very stagnant organization.
Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 8, 2018
Typical day involves completion of routine work. Very limited outlook on continuous improvement. 7+ years behind most IT organizations in terms of technology adoption. 12+ years behind in terms of technology philosophy.

Organization suffers from significant internal political issues that cripple the ability to coordinate effective change.
Pros
Low expectations for work completion, many opportunities
Cons
Most employees complete low levels of work, inefficient organizational structure
lacking real diversity , low paying
Environmental Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 7, 2018
pay is less than the national average for most if not all positions. Diversity is only in low paying departments and not in management. They will openly hire the majority over a minority.
Hit the floor-Running!
Registered Nurse III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 7, 2018
A typical day in the Emergency Department would include a patient care assignment of 6 patients to 1 nurse. The goal is to have 4:1 which is an occasional occurrence. If 6:1 you may have a patient care technician for assistance. I learned to adapt quickly to change, how to care for a diverse population, how to provide care to the least ill to most critical including traumas. Management has open door policy and for the most part available to lend a hand throughout each shift. The culture is such to help each other and to support growth for each individual. The hardest part of the job has got to be the high acuity with high census throughout each day. The most enjoyable part of the day is knowing that I made a difference in someones life no matter how small or big that difference is.
Pros
Room for growth
Cons
patient ratios for acuity
Safe company
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 6, 2018
The UofR is a good place to work. They employ more people than any other in our area. The benefits are good including a very nice health package.

However the pay is very low. The company makes it very difficult to make ends meet with the very low pay they offer. Many employees work two jobs and a lot of candidates wont accept positions based of the low wage offered. The company makes Billions however will not spend enough to keep good employees. However the company is good to work for.
Pros
Health Care and nice people to work with
Cons
Low Pay
Great health care professionals to work with
Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Pluta Cancer CenterSeptember 5, 2018
Friendly, productive, open-minded, highly qualified and skilled people to work with. We all work well for what is best for the patients. We make sure that the environment is clean, all tools are easily accessible for the physicians and I assist the nurses wherever needed.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Not able to move up through the system at a speedily pace
Good company with lots of Job opportunities
RN III (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 3, 2018
Nursing has a wide range of opportunities at URMC. There are many educational benefits for working at the University. Pay is not the best. It's a good area to gain experience in your field of choice
enjoyable enviroment
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 1, 2018
I enjoy my workplace overall. I have learned a lot of new things from a bigger company. There is room for advancement within and they are willing to train currant employees for new positions which is nice.
Pros
Benefite
Cons
Low Pay
I enjoyed my years in this department
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 30, 2018
I guess that it depends on where you work, but I worked in a pretty laid back department. I was paid well and I had great free benefits. Some people's jobs were very stressful because of whom they worked under, or the particular department that they worked for. I consider myself lucky to be in the small laid back department that I was in for so long.
Pros
can be a fun place to work
Cons
Pay only gets really good after years are put in
A little Stressful
OUTPATIENT ACCESS EXPERT (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 30, 2018
The salary that you receive working here is not worth the stress you go through everyday. It is a little frustrating. The other benefits are great though.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible Salary
University was great
Nutrition supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 28, 2018
My department was a cluster f***
Did not follow university protocol management contently shifting desition on policy from one day to the next. Managers had no grasp on what was going on. Made desitions that would only benefit themselves
Good
Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 27, 2018
Good Place to work. Decent benefits but the salary is a bit lower than normal corporate amercica but the benefits appear to outweigh that. They have a good work/life balance
Productive and fun workplace that is very dependable to expand your knowledge
Optical Technician (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 27, 2018
A typical work day is like a day at school. I’ve learned a lot more than I knew about optics. It opened my field of view for college, it was an amazing experience working with professors alongside my teacher. Both professors & my teacher treated us with respect. It was always a nice environment and a good place to work
University of Rochester Medical Center
RESEARCH COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 20, 2018
I loved working at the Medical Center. I felt honored to be part of an intelligent, supportive, friendly environment. I was sad when the grant that supported me was not renewed, but a family medical issue required me to return to CT. I actually worked on line for my team in a related research grant for 2 more years. I miss everyone....
Pros
Supportive, interesting work, great people
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Rochester. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight