University of Saint Mary

Working at University of Saint Mary: 26 Reviews

United States26 reviews

studentstaffgreatworkemployeeplacejobmanagement

Place to start

No one takes this place too seriously, including the staff and faculty. It’s been around for a while and needs lots of updates but can’t really update much due to its lack of security and maintenance...much needs to be done in these departments; Including their personnel. Good university overall but lack of fixing security concerns and the absence of good security officers are concerning.

Opportunities to help students, disorganized management

Pros: Many USM students are first-generation college students. I had an opportunity to help students who truly needed that college degree. USM was more diverse than some other private colleges in the area. The campus is beautiful. I love the architecture. Cons: It isn't a place you would plan to stay long-term. There is incredible turnover among employees, especially in student services. Some positions have seen 3-4 people in a few years. Many staff below the provost level only stay for a year or two. Jobs are frequently eliminated in restructuring, and then new jobs are created and new people hired for these jobs. (Why not just keep the people in the jobs in order not to lose so much institutional knowledge constantly?) There is a huge lack of continuity when you have multiple positions in one office that are turning over every year or two.

Pros

Lovely campus and diverse students

Cons

Lots of jobs eliminated and then re-created in restructuring

University of Saint Mary insights

• Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Energizing work tasks

Culture of caring

A stimulating undergraduate institution which allowed me to develop and broaden my pedagogical interests and skills. I had the autonomy to teach and direct my department without intrusive management oversight. A gratifying career which is why I remained with this institution for more than 40 years.

Poor management, bottom line driven.

Not a place where upward mobility or job security is promoted. Management, especially at the top, are oblivious to the employee needs. President does not care about moral, has no business acumen and incorrectly pronounces the word library, HR is clueless, the director in particular is reckless and petty. All around no fun.

Pros

Students, campus is beautiful

Cons

Benefits, management, culture

Overall easy and fun

Created events for students living on and off campus. Hardest part of the job was to stay on campus over the weekend until 2am at the front desk. Learned how to collaborate with others. Also had to train and arrive to campus two weeks early to bond, yet meals were paid for.

Pros

Private dorm paid for

Cons

Enforcing students to sign i

Great learning experience and very fun atmosphere

I learned how to put invoices into the system, filed a bunch of paperwork. My coworkers were very friendly and easy to work with. It was not hard working there because if you had a question about something, someone in the office would be more than happy to help you. It was a great opportunity and I am glad I got the chance to work there!

Management is horrendous

Management is awful and the Board has no idea how poorly they run the University. I would not recommend anyone go to work there. There is no room for advancement. Supposedly there is no budget for anything, including raises, unless you’re faculty. Such a shame, could be a great place to work, but the mission and how they profess to live is all for show.

Pros

Nothing worth mentioning

Food Service Company stinks

First, St Mary's is run by a food service company, not the school or convent themselves. Those entities are great. This company I worked for makes things more complicated than need be by taking away a system that once worked. They are unorganized to say the least. The Sisters are fantastic to work for and the students almost as much. This company is cheap and expects everyone to do every job and not be in one place much at all, even if there is a doctor's note.

Pros

Free food- before and after shifts and on breaks

Cons

Half hour meal break, very little sick time off-- 5 days in 12 months

Very poorly managed

I would not recommend anyone take a job here. The management is not qualified to do what they do. The University is in a 1.7 million dollar deficit. The hierarchy is extremely non-beneficial to anyone but the administration. They don't care about the staff and are only worried about doing things their way. It was very hard to make changes and be heard. I felt like an overpaid graduate assistant because none if my opinions or ideas were valued. Also HR is there to support administration not the employees.

Pros

Good team members

Cons

Management, advancement opportunities, work/life balance, Hr, lack of business efficiencies and more

Productive and good people

The University of Saint Mary fosters a good culture. The people are great. Faculty and staff really care about the students. There is room for advancement if you are interested.

Work

USM is an organization that preaches its mission strongly but doesn't really live it. One employee described it as an academic sweatshop, that's overly harsh but it is a tough environment.

Very helpful

The staff was very helpful and willing to work with me. I was able to set a schedule based on my availability. The ability to help students understand material was fulfilling. However, there are some students that will sign-up for help but will not attend their set sessions. This caused me to lose time to help other students.

could be a great place to work

Unfortunately the upper administration has failed the University. Morale is low, employees are leaving at break neck speed and upper management has failed to recognize that there is a problem. Faculty is praised continuously but staff is not, staff is viewed as necessary but not as an important part of the University. The administration fails to understand that while it is important to take care of your customers (students) it is equally as important to take care of your employees, but unfortunately employees are always an afterthought.

Pros

Tuition Remission

Cons

Poor management, does not support their employees or encourage their advancement

Fun & community based unviersity

Saint Mary is a great place to work for a multitude of reasons. The university has a great surrounding community that's extremely supportive and caring. The athletic department and coaches get along and work together really well. The atmosphere is great! The faculty and staff work very hard to help the students be successful, and they communicate well with the coaches to alert them of any academic issues. Saint Mary is a great starting out place for any coaches that are looking to get great hands-on experience.

Pros

Small supporting community

Cons

Low athletic scholarship funds

Graduate Assisstant

I was a grad assistant at this University. I had a lot of fun, but my work to life balance was way off. This is a good school but being a GA means a lot of hours on and not many off.

Staff undervalued by Senior Administration

I had two direct managers while working at the University, I truly respected both managers and they provided great support. My concern came with Senior Administration and their lack of support for staff. The pay was mediocre and the benefits continued to increase in price each year, while not providing a salary increase for employees. They have not had a descent Human Resource Director for a few years, which is a concern.

Pros

Friendly coworkers, tuition remission

Cons

Low pay raising benefits

Very poor working conditions

Although the benefits are decent the pay is lacking, making the position not worth the hassle. The management is terrible, extremely incompetent. There is a great deal of indecisiveness, inconsistency, favoritism, and a severe lack of empathy and respect regarding fellow employees. Supervisor has own agenda, not for the best of employeees and cares to hear no ideas from them. The housekeeping department is understaffed and the current housekeepers are over worked. There are no opportunities for advancement or lateral moves into other departments. Separate set of standards for housekeeping staff from rest of campus.

Pros

Tuition remission and lots of paid holiday time

Cons

Just not out for the people

Saint Mary

The university is a great place to work. The people are very friendly and supervisors will go to bat for you in most instances. It's a place that will give you as much as you give them.

Awesome

Gives you the feel of a business person! The staff and students gain wonderfully respectable relationships. If I could back I wouldn't think twice!

Super people but lack of stability and procedures

Great staffing members and support group but poor management. Do more with less. Little recongnition and no advancement.

Fun and Productive

Everyday at work was enjoyable. working with young adults is a passion of mine. Most days i was able to bond with the group of students i was responsible for and had little trouble.

Pros

Enjoyable job, fun experience

Cons

Busy schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at University of Saint Mary. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

University of Saint Mary Reviews by Location

Learn about University of Saint Mary in popular locations

Studying at University of Saint Mary

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews

University of Saint Mary reviews by popular job title